• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I love how the Baten Kaitos games blend together so perfectly. *story spoilers*

Boney

Banned
Could never really get into Baten Kaitos 1, sadly. Card battles are not for me and the awful voice acting and presentation overall was very weak in spite of the amazing art direction they had going for it. A shame because I really was looking forward to a good JRPG on GC at the time because I somehow skipped both Paper Mario and Skies of Arcadia and was stuck with stuff like Lost Kingdoms >.>

The Giant

Banned
Recently finished Baten Kaitos for the first time a few weeks ago. Loved it took me 60 hrs to beat.

I started playing playing origins a day after the original, but need to take a break from it, due to the new combo battle system was doing my head in.

Hopefully in a few months, I can adjust to it.

Aexact

for BK1 you definitely need a guide. There are some missable things that appear once in the game, you can't ever know which ones so a guide is required. There isn't a +new game option like in the prequel.
BK1 100% is some cruel dev joke against completionists, I swear.

There's normal level dickery like how you need to photograph all the bosses the one time you see them, cards you can only get if you play certain cards in battle in a specific order, and one-time mini-games with multiple missables. A card where one of your characters changes their appearance just for that one boss battle and you need to snap a picture of her to get the card.

Then there's the transforming cards. The ones required for sidequests that take between 10 min and 30 hours and several cards have multiple transformations so you have to hit the sweet spot. The one where you have to hold on to a useless seeming item for 700+ hours for it to transform into the final card.

alf717

I have to go back and finish the first game. I left it go but when Origins came out I was instantly hooked.

sphinx

the piano man
BK1 100% is some cruel dev joke against completionists, I swear.

There's normal level dickery like how you need to photograph all the bosses the one time you see them, cards you can only get if you play certain cards in battle in a specific order, and one-time mini-games with multiple missables. A card where one of your characters changes their appearance just for that one boss battle and you need to snap a picture of her to get the card.

Then there's the transforming cards. The ones required for sidequests that take between 10 min and 30 hours and several cards have multiple transformations so you have to hit the sweet spot. The one where you have to hold on to a useless seeming item for 700+ hours for it to transform into the final card.

I played BK1 playthrough by myself and a 2nd one with guide, and even then it took for ever to complete the magnus set.

from the top of my head the easiest one chance things to miss were:

.- misuti's rare face pic in a certain battle
.- shampoo turned into hair
.- one of the numbered recipies you only get if you have a perfect shooting minigame while riding a boat I think.

Alastor3

wow I must be THE ONLY ONE that love the voice acting of the first game. I didn't mind a all that it was badly recorded, I think it give it's charm since you have a spirit gardian, it's like your hear the voices from afar.

Yagami_Sama

That was a game that I appreciate in my Game Cube.
I really enjoyed this game, played a lot, both.

I totally in for an HD collection, or a new entry.

My only complain is the awful voice acting.

Dice//

Banned
Clearly a game I enjoy very much

Ivysaur, nice avatar
5waIm0H.gif

Ultimadrago

Origins is the vastly superior game, so maybe BK1?

No joke, you and the other active poster with the Guillo avatar [something-dragon?] came to my mind a lot while playing Origins (since I finally got to see where that interesting looking character originated from). Man, I love Guillo thiiiiiis much. They're a great character with consistently amusing dialogue, distinctive voice and an interesting role. I could safely say Guillo's one of my overall favorite characters as far as JRPGs go and certainly the best from Monolith thus far.

Dice//

Banned
No joke, you and the other active poster with the Guillo avatar [something-dragon?] came to my mind a lot while playing Origins (since I finally got to see where that interesting looking character originated from). Man, I love Guillo thiiiiiis much. They're a great character with consistently amusing dialogue, distinctive voice and an interesting role. I could safely say Guillo's one of my overall favorite characters as far as JRPGs go and certainly the best from Monolith thus far.

I could NEVER get sick of the VAs in BKO. On one hand because they were LEAGUES better than the first game's, but also because Sagi is a great voice for your 'average boy', Milly pulled that 'anime cute' without getting squeaky and annoying/bratty, and Guillo....well ...is simply outstanding as far as both concept and execution.
The fact there was a reason for it too made me giggle and gush as well

I probably would have made them my avatar if it wasn't that s/he was already used by two peeps here. So Milly worked!

Top Bottom