• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I love my PS5, but this has to be the worst design ever produced

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
This thread is only about the physical aesthetic. Over a year after my original purchase and I'm still astounded Sony went with this design, form over function.
8wNUtVZ.jpg

My main gripe is the need for the stand and how clumsily it attaches in the horizonal configuration. If you put any pressure on the sides, say when you are ejecting a disc and you rest your hand on it, it tips, rotates, and slides around on the base. I move my PS5 regularly between my office and the living room and the stand comes off so easily, it's really annoying. The funny thing is all the accessories that match the visual design are so much better (controller, camera, charging station, headset). I guess it would also be helpful to mention that we've seen multiple instances of people not knowing which direction is up in horizonal configuration or even it being set down without the stand so it rests askew.
CmWsPjL.jpg

The other issue is the size. It's so ridiculously large. And you can't help but feel the wild design compounds the issue. Instead of trying to cut down on the footprint they just said F it and went even bigger.
wSUXR4E.jpg

By contrast, both Xbox Series designs are really nice and honestly it's because the have a flat side where it can rest and be stable. You would have thought that everyone start with that requirement. My XSS has such a nice footprint and it's weight tells me they put as much as they could into that reasonably sized console.

I would say the launch PS3 is a distant second for Sony's worse design. Such an odd shape, heavy and large. At least it sat flat and remained stable.
XCu0OgY.jpg

(Not my setup, just an image of someone NOT using the stand so it sits slanted)

I honestly don't have any qualms about the rest of the decisions they've made with the PS5. I've really enjoyed it and my only wish is that more games would have gotten PS5 update patches since actual next gen games are barely trickling out.

Does anyone have insight on the decision process like this? Has there ever been a worse console design?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah, it feels like a complete afterthought. It was clearly made for the vertical orientation (which is also how it looks the best).

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yeah, it's dogshit. Guarantee they'll completely redesign it in the slim/pro line in a few years.

As boring as the SXS is I'd still take it over this hunk.

Indyblue

I wonder how what percentage of people place their consoles vertically. It seems like a vast majority would have them horizontal so it seems weird that both consoles are designed to look better vertical.

He speaks the truth. It's ugly as sin, and physically unstable - literally sitting loose on a tiny plastic circle that doesn't clip on well at all (it literally sits loose on it). It's not a huge deal, but if the thread is about the physical design only - it's literally one of the worst I've ever seen.

My cat jumps on the system since it makes a lot of noise and he hears it from the other room, and loves the lights. Every time he jumps on it, it wobbles. I'd hope that the PSVR2 cord that hooks to this system is 10 ft long, because if you nudge it a little bit it wobbles in that little plastic circle.

Hideous.

Last edited:
I agree. When I got mine, I was very surprised at how ... off it feels while horizontal. And while the appearance was striking (in a good way) when they revealed it, the fact is that the Series X's "it's a black box" just fits better with the rest of my entertainment system.

Duchess

As a PS fan, I 100% agree. It does look better when set vertical, however, and seen head-on. Makes it look slimmer.

(and, in my case, also reduces the drive noise, a lot)

Absolutely hideous. No idea what they were thinking. Luckily I can place mine out of sight so I never have to look at the complete monstrosity.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I agree. I was looking forward to the announcement and between how fucking ugly it is and the lack of games that appeal to me, I had to put down my desire of getting one.

Here's hoping for a redesign later down the line.

kingpotato

Yeah, it feels like a complete afterthought. It was clearly made for the vertical orientation (which is also how it looks the best).
I wonder how what percentage of people place their consoles vertically. It seems like a vast majority would have them horizontal so it seems weird that both consoles are designed to look better vertical.
Always go vertical. Looks great, doesn't take up any space.
And at least in the vertical orientation the stand screws in to make it secure.

ParaSeoul

Its designed to be standing up which is how I have it and I'm fine with it. The removable face plates are good for customization and let you clean the fans out without disassembly so I don't know how its "form over function''.
One issue I do have is that its pretty difficult to pick it up when you need to because you don't know where you should it.

Main reason why I bought my Digital Ed. was because AT LEAST it's symmetrical. The disc version is soooo ugly, and both are ridiculously HUGE. Now, I'm not a fan of my Series X either.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Looks much better vertically. I think it looks pretty good. Those of you calling it the ugliest designed console ever must be very young. The jaguar was shit. The og xbox was shit. Og ps3 was shit. Wii u was shit. Come on now.

kingpotato

Its designed to be standing up which is how I have it and I'm fine with it. The removable face plates are good for customization and let you clean the fans out without disassembly so I don't know how its "form over function''.
One issue I do have is that its pretty difficult to pick it up when you need to because you don't know where you should it.
Form over function in that it has those curved sides that can't even be used to support the weight without a little janky coaster stand.

It's a terrible looking console. Such a downgrade from ps4
I loved that launch PS4 design so much....

R6Rider

Gold Member
I think it looks great vertical (how I have mine). Series X also looks better vertical and looks terrible horizontal.

PS4 was the opposite.

If they could lop about 2 inches from the height it would fit into my bedroom tv stand. But as it is I'll have to somehow put it on the floor or on the dresser (Not happening if I want to sleep in the bed).
Or buy a completely new tv stand. (It's just staying in the living room)
When I ever find one.

Top Bottom