• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I love my PS5, but this has to be the worst design ever produced

RPS37

I hate how people act as if pro versions are the rule now and not like last gen was an exception
I just made a big dumb thread about how if there are mid gen refreshes, they won’t be for a while since chip shortages and whatnot.

ParaSeoul

I just made a big dumb thread about how if there are mid gen refreshes
Adow GIF by A Discovery of Witches

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It’s still much smaller than any pc and silent.
i love the curves, elegance and white design. If it was black it would look worse.
i might have a soft spot for white consoles.
xsex might be smaller but it’s just a box. And ps5 might be tall but it’s narrower when vertical.

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
its pretty ugly horizontally.

I got the Darkplates and it makes the console look much better. .. [vertically]

khakimzhan

I would love to have PS5 with the design of AVR-like, so it could be cooled with large fan and it would fit into the cabinet nicely) I have no problem with it size - but the shape is just so obnoxious!

Rykan

The PS5's design is the worst design for one reason and one reason only: Coil Whine. I could deal with the Xbox 360 fans. I had little issue with the PS4 pro sounding like a jet taking off. But that awful, atrocious noise coming from the PS5 makes it nearly unplayable if you sit anywhere near close. Comparing it to the Series S or X is just straigth up embarrassing. Those machines are whisper quiet.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The PS5's design is the worst design for one reason and one reason only: Coil Whine. I could deal with the Xbox 360 fans. I had little issue with the PS4 pro sounding like a jet taking off. But that awful, atrocious noise coming from the PS5 makes it nearly unplayable if you sit anywhere near close. Comparing it to the Series S or X is just straigth up embarrassing. Those machines are whisper quiet.
If You think ps5 coil whine is worse than 360, your ps5 is broken.
360 is like a tractor compared to ps5

Rykan

If You think ps5 coil whine is worse than 360, your ps5 is broken.
360 is like a tractor compared to ps5
Coil whine isn't considered a defect. Sony doesn't really take it back. People who call Sony about the coil whine issue either get the same PS5 back (unchanged obviously) or just get a different unit with coil whine.

Also the Xbox 360 didn't have coil whine, it just had very loud fans. It's technically louder than the coil whine, but coil whine is much, much more annoying.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Coil whine isn't considered a defect. Sony doesn't really take it back. People who call Sony about the coil whine issue either get the same PS5 back (unchanged obviously) or just get a different unit with coil whine.

Also the Xbox 360 didn't have coil whine, it just had very loud fans. It's technically louder than the coil whine, but coil whine is much, much more annoying.
360 fans were annoyingly loud even when not playing.
As for coil whine. Some is expected... especially coming from pc but I can vouch that my ps5 is way quieter than 3080 founders edition :p

ZoolNL

I agree. The Playstation 5 is the most ugly console I’ve ever seen. The misplaced design is the reason I don’t want one. It’s pure puke. Big fat, ugly puke. Even my poop looks better.

boomcrab

This is one of the reason why I won't buy it until redesign: this is by far the worst Playstation at the exception of the OG PS3.

And it's not just the aesthetic design, it's also how fucking stupid, greedy and badly engineered the industrial design is too: they wanted to squeeze performance out of a smaller chip than recommended by AMD, thinking liquid metal would be enough to cool it, instead it emits so much heat that they had to put it on a huge motherboard to space the memory packages out, and cram the biggest heatsink as well as vent I've ever seen in a consumer product.

They probably lost 50% of the size to their bad, greedy design (which ended-up being less powerful than the Xbox X despite being bigger, or the exact opposite of the Xbox One vs PS4...), but bless them for having a strong bonding and probably the stupidest generation of fanboys (which is actually always a bad prospective sign).
Lol someone didnt watch that teardown video.

Haggard

Banned
Out of 7 PS5s I´ve seen personally, including my own, none had coil whine. Let´s stop pretending coil whine is normal and not a defect in a few batches.

Last edited:

Rac3r

I love it. It looks odd and jarring but also futuristic. I also like the original 360 and all the other PS console designs because they are exciting, unconventional shapes. Gaming consoles shouldn't conform to a boring VCR form-factor like the original Xbox One; they're about the only piece of technology where it should be acceptable to look weird.

Tschumi

I have learned to like it kinda, but a design like this is prone to age like milk. it is way to out there.
systems with simple and straight forward designs usually age way better over time visually.

sega_dreamcast_console_pal_sdc-2_x280.png

274px-PAL-SNES.png

240px-Japanese_Mega_Drive_2.png

ps2_slim_black-2_x280.png

the PS2 Slim especially is still so fucking sexy to this day... the matte finish with that piano black line in the middle and the small form factor!

but the Dreamcast ages super well too, and not only the design of the system!
look at the packaging, that could literally be released with the exact same design today and would fit in perfectly and look sleek as fuck
R.92a40ca2df744262efe99cdcef5db1e9

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

OIP.fHv4JnpjrpWof11M_klcIAHaIf

s-l640.jpg
if i could chip a ps2 slim i would, i tried to get that memory card hack to work but it never did :'( i wish i could, i'd use it to play ps2 games and sell this XSS for a ton

Drew1440

I'm just glad they put rear USB ports on the thing, always hated how the PS2/3/4 non Pro only had front USB ports.

if i could chip a ps2 slim i would, i tried to get that memory card hack to work but it never did :'( i wish i could, i'd use it to play ps2 games and sell this XSS for a ton

You can buy premade memory cards on ebay that have FreeMCBoot preinstalled, then just intert into Memory Card Slot 2.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
PS5 is just OG PS2 all over again. Upright it looks great, on its side it looks kinda weird.

Rykan

Out of 7 PS5s I´ve seen personally, including my own, none had coil whine. Let´s stop pretending coil whine is normal and not a defect in a few batches.
The issue is far too spread for it to just be a few batches. Coil whine also isn't a defect.

Nico_D

I agree about horizontal design, it is really bad. Move it and the stand comes off. Vertical is good though the disc drive is slightly badly placed then.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I never quite understood why a console in 2021 needs to "stand out", like a fucking toy. Why not just make it look more like this f.ex.

td5beWl.png

..Or make every device rack size mountable and hide them in the server room, lol
The older I get, I am starting to like bolder designs more. I would love a box before but white, curvy thing speaks way more to me now.
I got into rgb only after 30 lol

NahaNago

The ps5 does have a terrible visual design. The xbox one x is slightly better but is basic and boring. I would have preferred a sleek professional look for the console.

SpokkX

It is by far the worst and most impractical physical design of any console I owned (I have owned pretty much every console since NES)

Just nudging it (while laying down) makes of slide off that little shitty foot. It is mindblowing that they thought this was fine? Standing up is a bit better but it is still ugly as shit. The first console I really WANT to hide

oh and that SIZE. People actually laugh when they see it in person

Not to mention the coilwhile or annoying fan noise (sure, not as bad as ps4pro, but nowhere near as silent as Series X)

Last edited:

Tams

I never quite understood why a console in 2021 needs to "stand out", like a fucking toy. Why not just make it look more like this f.ex.

td5beWl.png

..Or make every device rack size mountable and hide them in the server room, lol
Boring monochrome and minimalism.

The bauhaus book says it all.

Tschumi

I'm just glad they put rear USB ports on the thing, always hated how the PS2/3/4 non Pro only had front USB ports.

You can buy premade memory cards on ebay that have FreeMCBoot preinstalled, then just intert into Memory Card Slot 2.
Freemcboot didn't work for me, mm i couldn't get the connection to my laptop to work

Still got the memory card in my drawer

Last edited:
Aesthetically you can argue it's all subjective depending on your taste. But the fucking thing can't sit on a table without a stand. That's shitty design for a games console. I hope a slim version comes sooner rather than later.

I wonder how they stack together? I remember a used game shop that had a few dozen old Xbox's stacked on top of each other in a corner with Gamecubes ontop of them making a big stack of old stuff.
Someday that corner is going to have PS5's. The leaning tower? Or will it stack?

Top Bottom