• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I love my PS5, but this has to be the worst design ever produced

Corndog

Banned
Doesn’t stop it being too fat to sit on the same shelf as my PS5. I’d rather the xsx was taller and thinner, rather than squat and fat. I’ve had to stand it up behind my TV.
Just put the ps5 sideways with the Xbox on top of it. Oh wait,ps5 is too wide to fit.

Topher

Gold Member
Oh jesus, the individual trapped by the RGB lobby.

Aaron Paul What GIF by Breaking Bad

WitchHunter WitchHunter no.....I really don't get it.

Last edited:

Rayderism

The flairs and curves of the PS5 just look ridiculously conceited to me. Still, I bought it for the games, not for what the console looks like. (just scored one directly from Sony BTW, should have it in a few days. YAY!) A plain straight-lined rectangular box would have been fine. And they desperately need to shrink the size down a bit, because.....damn.

Soosa

Banned
It is a really awkward design and a pain in the ass to dust. Totally inconvenient.
You have to look up how to take off the side to install the SSD.
Are people really this alienated from simple technology? As in general, not personally pointed to you.

We have a saying "you turn fly into a bull" which means that sometimes people turn small issue into a huge problem.

I mean, it is almost as easy as exchanging batteries to some device (some even have screw holding the battery cover), so even if people have to check instructions to be sure, so what?
Arent people curious at all of things are built, everything must be solved for them instantly, and if they have to do or look up for anything, it becomes somehow difficult task?

Like, why would it even matter if user have to check really simple instructions to do anything? If it would be something like replacing CPU on pc (which isnt really that complex either), there would be a point in the complains.

99% people can change a flat tire easily if they have tools, yet there are always people whom think it is somehow complex/difficult, maybe because they are too scared or too lazy to learn anything. "I dont know how to do it, and I dont want to learn it!" mentality is just sickening.

People whom wont even try to solve a simple problem which is solvable just by using common sense/instructions, have no right to complain about anything. If they read instructions and it is still somehow too difficult for average person to do, then there is a problem.

I personally like ps5 design, when it is vertical, on horizontal mode it looks bit weird. I also have series X and it too looks better on vertical, but both look fine and I will probably buy pink cover for my PS5 just to make it stand out even more :messenger_beaming:

Would it be easier to stick SSD into my series X? yes.
Were it difficult or annoying to install SSD into my PS5? not at all, it was just interesting to remove the plates for the first time. Almost no dust build up, and I got mine at launch + it is sitting on the floor.

It is just weird that we all have these devices literally almost always with us that can solve majority of problems by few google searches, yet somehow many people are technically less skilled than ever.

I love PS consoles but I don't think I'll buy one until the slim is out. It won't fit my media unit atm, and I ready have a series x in vertical.

skit_data

I’m fine with the design, my Digital Edition looks great in vertical position.
It’s nice that they made the fan easily removable without voiding the warranty and cleaning the dust catchers is easy. Putting in a NVME expansion is easy as well.

The only big issue I have with the design is the way you remove the panels. Its pretty unintuitive and I managed to scratch the ”inner body” leaving white marks on the black plastic the first time I removed the panels. Not a big issue, since its not visible once you put the panels back on again but it could’ve been easier.

Kagey K

Banned
They were smart to put those removable covers on. Similar to 360 faceplate.

The rest is a big old no from me. Just big and tacky.

The "contours" don't make it sleek.

Last edited:

tassletine

I agree. Looks like one of those cheap flashy PC's that Hardcore Gamers buy to impress people of their ilk. I guess some people like weird shapes and lights and stuff.

I understand that mentality if you're a teenager, but the design is deliberately unwieldy and probably designed to get negative attention -- Which is still preferable to the yawn you get when looking at the xbox.

Just a case of "How are we going to make this fit"? And coming up with a logical solution which, whilst isn't perfect, still gets more attention than the competition.

skit_data

I understand that mentality if you're a teenager, but the design is deliberately unwieldy and probably designed to get negative attention
I think its deliberately unwieldy probably designed to make sure you dont stack tons of other shit on top of it and right next to it, in order to ensure airflow.

They could’ve made a better job though.

Kagey K

Banned
I agree. Looks like one of those cheap flashy PC's that Hardcore Gamers buy to impress people of their ilk. I guess some people like weird shapes and lights and stuff.

I understand that mentality if you're a teenager, but the design is deliberately unwieldy and probably designed to get negative attention -- Which is still preferable to the yawn you get when looking at the xbox.

Just a case of "How are we going to make this fit"? And coming up with a logical solution which, whilst isn't perfect, still gets more attention than the competition.
I think the series X is a great display of taking a bunch of cool tech and blending it into your other stuff.

The Series S is amazing as far as performance/size/shape go.

You can call it yawn, but that's what you want under your TV.

Alan Wake

Yes, it's baffling. It looks like a prototype or a fan made design. What were Sony thinking? Their design used to be great, from the first PlayStation to PS4. From Walkman to the Vaio laptops. All cool looking. And then came PS5...

Alan Wake

Yeah it’s atrocious. I’m guessing we are about a year away from its first redesign.
Let's hope so. I just bought one but I will happily get a slim model as soon as possible. My concern now is how I'll be able to hide that awful thing in my living room until the slim model arrives.

Riky

$MSFT
I prefer the look of my PS4 Pro, I like my console to just blend into the background which PS5 doesn't.
What makes it worse is that it only fits in my TV cabinet horizontal and along with being the disc version this makes it look even worse.
It will be gone as soon as a redesign appears.

assurdum

Banned
Yes, it's baffling. It looks like a prototype or a fan made design. What were Sony thinking? Their design used to be great, from the first PlayStation to PS4. From Walkman to the Vaio laptops. All cool looking. And then came PS5...
Jim Ryan horrible taste and incompetency. I'd bet my two balls. He was the only who has had the courage to name it elegant and a grace for the tv setup or whather bullshit he spit out.

Last edited:

skit_data

Not the worst designed product ever, just the worst designed console ever
I consider N64 worse in terms of design, it looked pretty horrible IMO.

Edit: Probably an unpopular opinion but I also consider the original X360 worse looking. The slim revision looked great though.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Its grotesque. If I get one behind the fucking tv its going. All of their consoles have been pig ugly and pretentious looking since the ps1. Sony thinks its special and tries to reflect that in their console designs, the ps2 looked like two odd sized slabs atop eachother, the ps3 looked like a george foreman grill, the ps4 looked like a few evenly sized slabs atop eachother gradually blown backwards by a breeze and this monstrosity I cant even describe. A 20 year old router bought from a bargain bin perhaps.

Consoles in general look shit. The only decent looking one of the past twenty years was the 360 E edition. A dark black box, no frills, just a dark box.

The SX as we know looks like a mini fridge whilst the SS looks like a portable cooking hob. The Switch just looks boring.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
It is a really awkward design and a pain in the ass to dust. Totally inconvenient.
You have to look up how to take off the side to install the SSD.

Hyperbole at it's best....yikes!

How hard is it to take a duster and wipe down the areas once a month or even every two months? Unless you're living like a pig with smokers everywhere in your house, and 34 animals, your system isn't going to be something that you have to dust all the time.

Jaysen

Banned
Hyperbole at it's best....yikes!

How hard is it to take a duster and wipe down the areas once a month or even every two months? Unless you're living like a pig with smokers everywhere in your house, and 34 animals, your system isn't going to be something that you have to dust all the time.
How is it hyperbole when Sony themselves built dust collectors inside of the console that can only be accessed by removing the side panels? It’s an idiotic design.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Not the worst designed product ever, just the worst designed console ever

I consider N64 worse in terms of design, it looked pretty horrible IMO.

Edit: Probably an unpopular opinion but I also consider the original X360 worse looking. The slim revision looked great though.
I think we've seen recently from the Microsoft documentary that the original Xbox 360 is indeed the worse designed successful console. Garish and prone to failure, at least it didn't need a hockey puck.

Though.... The Sega CD seemed to break for no reason at all as well, but it wasn't much of a success.

K' Dash

How is it hyperbole when Sony themselves built dust collectors inside of the console that can only be accessed by removing the side panels? It’s an idiotic design.

There are many baffling decisions, I read a couple articles saying that they didn't have a finalized design relatively close to launch and this thing looking rushed as fuck makes sense.

At least they didn't go small and sleek with overheating issues.

Allforce

If people are making aftermarket panels to replace the color I'm really shocked they haven't made an aftermarket bottom panel with "legs" or an integrated stand at this point so it just sits flat when horizontal without having to use that flaky circle stand.

skit_data

If people are making aftermarket panels to replace the color I'm really shocked they haven't made an aftermarket bottom panel with "legs" or an integrated stand at this point so it just sits flat when horizontal without having to use that flaky circle stand.
Agreed, I’m surprised Sony themselves haven’t put out plates that change the physical appearance of it. Seems like an open goal, but I guess dBrand or someone else will be the first to do it.

Hell, they even have better ads than Sony themselves:

Krathoon

There are many baffling decisions, I read a couple articles saying that they didn't have a finalized design relatively close to launch and this thing looking rushed as fuck makes sense.

At least they didn't go small and sleek with overheating issues.
Yeah. I don't think I was over exaggerating. You shouldn't have to look up how to open the dang thing. Just put some symbols on the case for where to twist the panels.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Yes, i would love some pannels or shells, to make it a normal rectangle and not some suit with a big collar.

Mobilemofo

I like it. I think we have had enough of the square black box shit over the years to be honest, so the ps5 design was a pleasent surprise to me. I keep mine horizontal, because i like it that way, and because i have a pomeranian lol

Krathoon

The whole thing is gigantic. I guess they couldn't shrink the components any further. It seems similar in scale to a desktop PC. It will be neat to see if there will ever be a slim version.

assurdum

Banned
it looks like shit. Sx is smaller yet better ventilation also less sound and no choil whine at all. Horizontaly its like 2 one x.
Yes because SX has had more time to refine the overheating system, MS hadn't the problem to design a new GPU from the beginning, it was already available.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Lmao it’s virtually inaudible. I mean the dude needs to use a microphone. The ps5 coil whine can be heard by the human ear. Come on man.
Coil whine on ps5 is annoying as hell but is it far from a loud sounds. Play with an average sound, it's hard to notice. Outside you use a pc monitor and you have to stay very close to the ps5.

Last edited:

FrankWza

to prove that’s coil whine they need to demonstrate it fluctuating In audible sound And pitch.

Rhyuuke
Xbox Ambassador
Replied on May 19, 2021
It is totally normal, many users have reported this, there is nothing to worry about, the noise is related to your electrical network, the network noises do not affect and do not harm the console, have a good game :)

Top Bottom