• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I love the look of PC98 games aka the Anime PC game machine

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
UU1DOiF.jpg

KSDtCUo.png

7IZeC5L.gif

EmceNll.gif

S6iHjA9.gif

dg6mXGp.gif

GGFGx2T.png

6vnPYVQ.gif

URoSgTJ.gif

3CfUeyI.gif

HCvT4o4.gif

b1ZlbBF.gif

LGLGPh4.gif

yBKYK8a.gif

XL69XZk.gif

bXxwqCM.gif

Man, now I want to play some PC98 games on a CRT.

Also yes, if you played some english translated Japanese games in DOS, they were probably ports of PC98 games.

Oh hey, I took that screenshot. Seriously. Pasokon Deacon's my social media handle. I gave a bunch of these screenshots of this game (GAGE, developed by M.N.M. Software in 1992 with Yuzo Koshiro music) to Szczepaniak when he was finishing up his second volume of Japanese game dev interviews.

Anyway, I still need to get working on that J-PC thread I promised you guys months back.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Oh hey, I took that screenshot. Seriously. Pasokon Deacon's my social media handle,. I gave a bunch of these screenshots of this game (GAGE, developed by M.N.M. Software in 1992 with Yuzo Koshiro music) to Szczepaniak when he was finishing up his second volume of Japanese game dev interviews.
Nice! lol

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
This "aesthetic" is currently quite popular online for some reason. TUMBLRFADGRAFIX

That said, good time period for eroge.

Dio

Banned
I have a bunch of shots from that era. Not all necesssarily PC-98, but some are.

Dio said:
Power Slave:

EnvW8Yn.gif

xF7hjlC.gif

Youjuu Senki - A.D. 2048:

8E6cGiq.png

SVC Chaos:

PzPqlVV.gif

Knights of Xentar:

hfA9kyD.gif

Samurai Shodown II:

VZzOBa5.gif

鋼鐵騎士團:

z2uhzdQ.png

Uchū no Kishi Tekkaman Blade: Orbital Ring Dakkai Sakusen:

vAJWesZ.gif

Slayers PC-98:

wgEiJww.png

KOF '94:

jDkQHvJ.gif

If you look closely at that one:

R3HEXqQ.jpg

If you're reading this, you probably know Akira inspired a shitload of game backgrounds.

Virgin Angel:

HrDDJm6.png

Travel Junction:

D0hNvSJ.png

Sei Shouju Sentai Lakers 3:

KVs0mJd.png

Reira:

lVvhJll.png

Red (it's FM TOWNS)

yjB65pk.gif

ZV0UPxH.gif

7ITIheS.gif

5aQeCAR.png

Xla5ilr.png

Another shot of Possessioner, which was on the front page:

j227ch4.gif

Nova:
sc4wmRz.png

Kaiketsu Nikki:
zqHBLBj.png

AmbivalenZ Niritsu Haihan
iJEq6sS.png

Angel Halo
CNaCoTZ.png

Guernica (I adore the floor in this shot)
1TbmHXp.png

Liena Crystal
JU3JX5o.png

Merry Go Round
QI9DXkf.png

Possessioner yet again
946K7kY.gif

Time Stripper Mako-chan
xYj15Ve.gif

Toumei Ningen
vZC6zaS.png

Toushin Toshi 2
n5lY49Q.png

This "aesthetic" is currently quite popular online for some reason. TUMBLRFADGRAFIX
Data Erase does glitch art using PC-98 eroge as a base. Users like noirlac and fmtownsmarty don't interest me as much anymore because a lot of the stuff they post I've seen while trawling across Japanese Web pages filled with such images.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Is this the same as the PC Game Engine?

Edit: Nope, it's not, I'm dumb

Pinning the PC-98 as an eroge machine first and foremost isn't wrong, but it's often a means to deflect conversation and investigation surrounding non-erotic games which featured heavily on the platform (and could also have audiovisuals just as worthwhile). Developers that formerly thrived off of eroge actually transitioned into wargames later in the system's life-cycle (ex. Kogado with both Power DoLLS and the space opera Schwarzschild franchise). Long-time standbys like Telenet experimented more with games like The Grail Hunter, Hioden (the first of which got a port to the Super Famicom, and their point-and-click adventure Tokyo Twilight Busters. I can rattle off more of this knowledge anytime, not that it's done me much good yet.

Is this the same as the PC Game Engine? Krejlooc wrote up a great post about a DBZ game on the PC Engine that I archived here. I agree that the old school anime look is extremely appealing.
Definitely not the same platform. There was overlap between the PC Engine and PC-xx development/consumer communities, of course, and the PC-FX was a conscious effort by NEC to bridge the gap more.

Dio

Banned
Is this the same as the PC Game Engine? Krejlooc wrote up a great post about a DBZ game on the PC Engine that I archived here. I agree that the old school anime look is extremely appealing.

No. The PC-88/PC-98 were home computers, the PC Engine was also known as the Turbografx-16 over here and was a home console.

Back on track:

Falcom!
The venerated Xanadu (specifically Scenario II) was remade as Revival Xanadu 2 Remix for PC-98, shots courtesy of Mobygames:

Krejlooc

Banned
Is this the same as the PC Game Engine?

No, the PC Engine is an NEC console, it's the japanese version of the Turbo Grafx 16.

The PC-98 is the successor to the PC-88, also by NEC. They were desktop computers. The PC-88 used an 8-bit z80 CPU, while the PC-98 used the 16/32 bit x86 cpu. They were the most popular PC in japan in their time, but their popularity never reached the levels that PCs reached in the US, or microcomputers reached in Europe.

CHC

Yes, an amazing aesthetic indeed. It's also one of those weird eras where so many of the artists seem to have vanished... there's a huge interest / revival of pixel art in the past 5-10 years, but nothing that looks even close to the old PC engine games. I genuinely wonder who did a lot of that work and what they are doing today, and (if adequately paid) they would ever bust out the old skills and do something like it again.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
No, the PC Engine is an NEC console, it's the japanese version of the Turbo Grafx 16.

The PC-98 is the successor to the PC-88, also by NEC. They were desktop computers. The PC-88 used an 8-bit z80 CPU, while the PC-98 used the 16/32 bit x86 cpu. They were the most popular PC in japan in their time, but their popularity never reached the levels that PCs reached in the US, or microcomputers reached in Europe.
Oh, damn. I spent all this time thinking they were the same thing.

Regardless, PC-88 looks really good, and has a nostalgic value to it - judging from the pictures in this thread, anyway.

Tain

Reminds me that I still gotta try Night Slave.

I'm happy to see that the libraries of older Japanese computer platforms are starting to get a litttttle more recognition these days. If I had more time I'd love to really dig in. I think the last game that I tried and played through was Geograph Seal, but that doesn't really fall under this thread's static high res pixel art premise.

And yeah, these games are gorgeous.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Great thread. I love that look. It's everything I think I know: 80s anime and computer games... but I never actually played most of this stuff.

The art for these PC-98 games didn't require super-advanced draftsmanship and technical skills to make. I think the real cleverness most J-PC developers excelled at was scanning and dithering artwork to look more crisp and unique than before, after which point it's possible to also recycle assets in a way that doesn't feel lazy and rushed.

A few random J-PC game summary GIFs I've made in a year's time:

giphy.gif

The Great Escape (Daidasso), Carry Lab, FM-7, 1985

giphy.gif

Amnork, ASCII (programmed by the creator of Derby Stallion), FM77AV, late 1986

giphy.gif

Girly Block, likely Compile (published by Telenet...not Nihon Telenet though!), MSX2, 1987

Krejlooc

Banned
The art for these PC-98 games didn't require super-advanced draftsmanship and technical skills to make. I think the real cleverness most J-PC developers excelled at was scanning and dithering artwork to look more crisp and unique than before, after which point it's possible to also recycle assets in a way that doesn't feel lazy and rushed.

I think it's a by product of knowing your art is going to be displayed on an RGB monitor rather than an SDTV, and thus they use dithering slightly differently. You see more varied dither patterns instead of pure 50-50 blends like you do in console games.

You see much of the same thing in 16-bit European microcomputers of the time. Amiga art is uniquely blended, but doesn't depend on dithering nearly as much.

I think it's a by product of knowing your art is going to be displayed on an RGB monitor rather than an SDTV, and thus they use dithering slightly differently. You see more varied dither patterns instead of pure 50-50 blends like you do in console games.
Indeed. Bayer ordered dithering patterns were increasingly popular for PC-98 developers to us, in addition to others. Lots of games have customized dithering of the sort rarely seen in console games from that period because TV machines were built to have better tech rather than the anemic video modes NEC used for the PC-x8 line.

Krejlooc

Banned
Indeed. Bayer ordered dithering patterns were increasingly popular for PC-98 developers to us, in addition to others. Lots of games have customized dithering of the sort rarely seen in console games from that period because TV machines were built to have better tech rather than the anemic video modes NEC used for the PC-x8 line.

You see a lot of the same style art in 16-bit european demoscene when the limits of the color pallets became an issue. I have a huge soft spot for this style of art, it takes a real technical expertise to create. Like a perfect meld of technical proficiency and artistic style.

More GIFs:

giphy.gif

EUGEA, Kazuhiro Furuhata, MZ-700 (only capable of rendering text/shape primitives vs. custom RGB graphics the PC-88 had), 1989

giphy.gif

Chrith, Comix (likely ghost-developed by KOEI), PC-6001mkII, 1984

giphy.gif

Olteus (later ported to the X68000), Winky Soft, PC-88VA, 1987 (?)

Dio

Banned
When anime used to look cool.

It still does, you just need to look a little harder for stuff to your taste since more anime than ever is being produced and people in the States were exposed to what was essentially the best of the best hand picked out of a churning sea of crap, even back in the 80s/90s.

Jazz573

Many of these games were ported to Windows. Also for the unlucky few in Japan who had an IBM PC, some, and I have to reiterate only SOME, got IBM PC ports (DOS/V, basically Japanese localized IBM PC DOS as opposed to PC-9801 DOS). And if you lived in China or South Korea many were also ported to IBM PC DOS in those languages, and of course some in English.

Mostly the non-vn / eroge had this. Like games from Koei. But a few prominent eroge devs did do this. Referring to the part on DOS/V for clarification.

This game is brilliant when you consider how modern the gameplay feels, and precisely how it was created.
Worth noting: Furuhata qualifies as a demoscene programmer, routinely sending in his code to Oh! MZ (Oh! X later) Magazine for others to type into their machines and witness. He even made a couple of animated movies using these same graphical primitives, which are impressive to watch and also seem to tell full stories.

I wanna say this is X-Girl from Fairytale Redzone. I've seen my fair share of eroge screens.
You're correct.

Top Bottom