• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I love the look of PC98 games aka the Anime PC game machine

Jazz573

Oh man Kuro no Ken (Black Blade) was such a fun game. Fun fact: a friend tried translating it a long time ago but gave up only about 2 months in. Still a hell of a fun game though. The 3/4 back view for the battle system really hits home as I am a huge fan of it in the Shining Force and Golden Sun games.

Bless this thread.

Blade of Darkness is a better translation of the title.

Also one of Forest's only non-eroge.

It's easily their most well-regarded game, too, and it got a PlayStation conversion possibly because of its sales footprint.

Meanwhile I just got Munt working and am grooving to Marching Way from Granada X68k...too good.

Jazz573

It's easily their most well-regarded game, too, and it got a PlayStation conversion possibly because of its sales footprint.

Meanwhile I just got Munt working and am grooving to Marching Way from Granada X68k...too good.

Yeah. They also owned Foster, who made the Paradise Heights games. :p

Dingens

I wouldn't call it an eroge machine, but rather the ultimate cyber punk gaming system.
I wish we could get some modern games in this style :7
why exactly did they stop using this kind of art style?

also the Sharp X68000 looks fucking ace
X68k.jpg

I would've NEVER guessed that this thing came out in 1987 just by looking at it. looks more like gaming pc from the early 2000s

Read Only Memories (2015) might be up your alley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLaAta88gS4

titlescreen.gif

is it any good?

Sound like you have a love for classic Japanese Cyberpunk (as all good people should). I'd recommend this tumblr here

http://rekall.me/

as that's pretty much what it's about. It's not all Japanese or classic, but about 98% of it is, and it is wonderful.

Sometimes (thought rarely), it can also be a bit NSFW, as was not uncommon in such art.

Seriously, whenever I look at this tumblr, I just get all warm and giddy inside.

every time I go to rekall, I'm stuck there for hours... somehow it's really hard to just stop looking at pictures there

AmyS

I wouldn't call it an eroge machine, but rather the ultimate cyber punk gaming system.

X68k.jpg

I would've NEVER guessed that this thing came out in 1987 just by looking at it. looks more like gaming pc from the early 2000s

Absolutely amazing machine.

PofuzX3.jpg

AfroLuffy

Wonderful thread! Brings me back. Anime was just the coolest shit ever back then. I remember going into Babbages and seeing Knights of Xentar and Metal and Lace on the shelf. Boy did those two games stand out..my eleven year old self was certainly intrigued.

The day more people learn about this game, and how singularly cool and unusual it was coming from a light novel writer and a few programmers who did a mech wargame previously, will be strange and hilarious. Naoyuki Kato's one of the best fantasy artists in Japan and no one seems to discuss his works, let alone Suemi's or Tanno's.

Thank you for this post! I knew of these artists' work but did not know their names; now, I can hunt down some art books. Noriyoshi Ohrai, who recently passed away, was another great (but I'm sure you knew that already).

AfroLuffy

I just cruise Yahoo Japan auctions, although it used to be better than it is now.
Someone's selling Popful Mail for 7800 yen right now!

Oooh. I had no idea Popful Mail started as a PC98 title. I remember drooling over the screens from the Gamefan coverage of the Sega CD version. I never did get to play it. Hmmm...I might pull my GFs out of the closet and see if I can scan it.

Aeana

Oooh. I had no idea Popful Mail started as a PC98 title. I remember drooling over the screens from the Gamefan coverage of the Sega CD version. I never did get to play it. Hmmm...I might pull my GFs out of the closet and see if I can scan it.

Not only that, the combat in the original version of Popful Mail is Ys-style in a side scrolling setting. You kinda ram into enemies with your regular weapon to damage them. That combat style is also in the PCE CD version. Sword slashes came to SFC and Sega CD. Of course, even the original version had the projectile weapons.

Krejlooc

Banned

Popful mail was originally a pc-88 game. The sega cd version is vastly different than all the others and was handled by sega and falcom together.

For Tizoc, some PC-88 GIFs:

giphy.gif

Final Crisis, Techno Grard, PC-88, 1991

giphy.gif

Silver Ghost (inspiration for Shining Force), Kure Software Koubou, PC-88, 1987

giphy.gif

Testament (successor to Lyrane), Glodia, PC-88, 1987

An early-2000s Sharp X68k would be using an LCD monitor instead!

Dingens

Absolutely amazing machine.

PofuzX3.jpg

damn... how much did you pay?

I'm not sure how this works... this whole home computer thing is still a little bit confusing to me. in terms of compatibility it's more like a console, right? as in it doesn't play pc-98 games, just platform exclusive ones, correct?

Jazz573

For Tizoc, some PC-88 GIFs:

giphy.gif

Final Crisis, Techno Grard, PC-88, 1991

giphy.gif

Silver Ghost (inspiration for Shining Force), Kure Software Koubou, PC-88, 1987

giphy.gif

Testament (successor to Lyrane), Glodia, PC-88, 1987

An early-2000s Sharp X68k would be using an LCD monitor instead!

Final Crisis. Nice music. I don't think most people know about Techno Grard, which was owned by the parent company of certain infamous eroge dev.

damn... how much did you pay?

I'm not sure how this works... this whole home computer thing is still a little bit confusing to me. in terms of compatibility it's more like a console, right? as in it doesn't play pc-98 games, just platform exclusive ones, correct?

Nope. It's a computer too. Many PC-98 games were ported to it.

Anyway, I still need to get working on that J-PC thread I promised you guys months back.

Pasokon I would consume that thread like a man downing an entire beer in one go. Just sayin'.

I need to move on to some other stuff but look up Legend of Heroes III art. That game was legend on the PC-98 and arguably helped Falcom stay around after the disaster that was Ys V.

I remember seeing that Possessioner gif posted in another thread here. I'm still blown away.

Yep, I especially love Jun Suemi's illustrations. I wish this meticulous, more realistic style was still a popular thing in Japan nowadays.

Jun Suemi is amazing. I really like the monster designs he did for the Super Famicom ports/remakes of Wizardry I to III.

Jazz573

On this topic, eroge dev GIGA as an April Fools joke, made an announcement of one of those surprise boxes, with 200 possible GIGA games. :p Including their PC-9801 games. Sadly not real.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
As I was trying to get PC 98 material to post here I found something I never thought I'd ever see.

vRcZMxv.gif

Jazz573

Took some searching lol, but I finally found it. It's called Ballade for Maria ( マリアに捧げるバラード)

WSi6yz9.jpg

gNgVaEw.png

SkfMsts.jpg

iTZ2PBt.gif

1lAtTfZ.png

PCdaiYK.gif

kpziQTP.png

5SXrxZt.png

That game is dark. I've seen on a certain blog, a chopped up naked body.

It's part of Fairytale's Hardcover label, which is for their dark games. Also it has an FM Towns port.

Moonlight

Banned
There's also the upcoming VA-11 HALL-A which I'm really, really looking forward to.

http://waifubartending.com/

The game's in QA right now and according to the devs is 99.9% complete, but man, this was supposed to be out Winter 2014. Still, looking forward to it.

Takes place in the same universe as Read Only Memories IIRC.

This is probably the most accurate to PC-98 era "style" I've seen, really. It's also got a soundtrack I loop in my car regularly.

https://garoad.bandcamp.com/album/va-11-hall-a-second-round
Glad someone brought it up. VA-11's aesthetic is gorgeous.

Steveo

Banned

X68k.jpg

The GameSack guys did a great video on the x68000, definitely recommend a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQPt69UCyIA&index=13&list=PLjOsBJoP38Yitx2sBTDjxtDymYjKvRPME

Trojita

That game is dark. I've seen on a certain blog, a chopped up naked body.

It's part of Fairytale's Hardcover label, which is for their dark games. Also it has an FM Towns port.
Yeah there is a good number of really dark titles on the PC98. I don't have any interest in the game besides seeing Trump Tower in PC 98 graphics lol.

Snaggle

Banned
Haha upskirt in the first pic, I see why you're a fan OP ;o) Came into this thread kinda expecting these sorts of graphics but I had no idea there was a whole platform of this stuff! Wow I thought I would just be seeing Mega CD games like Time Gal and TurboGFX/PC Engine games, I think this is the first I've heard of the PC98. I will really need to look into this a bit more as I'm also a fan of anime games (as long as there is some proper gameplay....especially of the shmup variety).

Trojita

Haha upskirt in the first pic, I see why you're a fan OP ;o) Came into this thread kinda expecting these sorts of graphics but I had no idea there was a whole platform of this stuff! Wow I thought I would just be seeing Mega CD games like Time Gal and TurboGFX/PC Engine games, I think this is the first I've heard of the PC98. I will really need to look into this a bit more as I'm also a fan of anime games (as long as there is some proper gameplay....especially of the shmup variety).

I swear I didn't even see that.

Rusty is a cool Castlevania-like game (and one of the more playable PC98 games for non-japanese speakers.) The art is not nearly as detailed as a lot posted here, but it has its pretty moments

rusty-2.png

rusty-11.png

rusty-2.png

422424-rusty-pc-98-screenshot-what-a-wonderful-day-to-destroy-evil.png

422420-rusty-pc-98-screenshot-filled-with-minions-of-evil.png

Rusty_-_Screen_17.jpg

In a surprising turn of events, despite being a PC98 game starring dominatrix women in tight leather with whips, it's not eroge!

There are a bunch. To get you started, the first 5 touhou games are on PC98.

petran79

Banned
I wonder, did computer game developers in Europe and America have any idea of the above games? Or was there a prejudice towards those games due to the anime aesthetic, stemming from TV animation mostly?
Amiga scene was certainly more open to those kind of games. Eg there was the dreadful Akira game and also Apidya was a tribute to Japanese shmups. It is just that European games took inspiration mostly from Western comics and metal covers

I know Western computer games were also ported to Japan, eg Lucasarts games

Arzehn

Is there a developer walkthrough somewhere on how an artist would even go about creating this type of pixel-art? Like a video or written article on the software and the techniques used back then to produce such high quality low res art?

I would love to just watch someone create the images in the OP, all steps involved.

So glad this thread exists, it's just page after page of glorious imagery.

I'm in no doubt that this art style will be truly revisited some day, it's too good to remain hidden in the dithered shadows of videogaming history.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Is there a developer walkthrough somewhere on how an artist would even go about creating this type of pixel-art? Like a video or written article on the software and the techniques used back then to produce such high quality low res art?

I would love to just watch someone create the images in the OP, all steps involved.

It's not going to be much different than what SNKP did for KoF XIII: http://kofaniv.snkplaymore.co.jp/english/info/15th_anniv/2d_dot/creation/index.php

Replace "We used 3D models for the base colors" with "We blocked out the base colors in image program". Then slowly add in the hand-crafted, time-draining detail work.

I'm sure there were some nice, very pixel-focused tools that were used (such as gradient fills, dithering pattern brushes, and maybe even a library of pre-made, scalable shapes), but pixel sprites just take a lot of fine detail from the artist. It's what I'll always love about it; especially when you get to proper use of sub pixel animations (such as changing the color of a single pixel to suggest an eye blinking, or more complex movement that isn't directly "drawn".)

And of course, you can be sure they scanned in Hand-drawn art at times, too. Digital, low-resolution traces of the art styles of the time.

You also might be able to find some modern-day artist explaining their techniques (or retro-fitted explanations of older ones) at a site like Pixeljoint. Full of modern day works that are just as detailed, if not even more so at times.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
That is sexy as fuck.

It even looks modern.
Is the keyboard mechanical?

I think it's just a regular keyboard, not mechanical per-se... but the coolest thing about it is in certain games, the Caps Lock/Scroll Lock/Kana buttons light up and flicker in time to the music.

This thread is absolutely incredible, can't believe it's my first time seeing it! I'm lucky in that I have a friend with a 68k and a Marty, so I'm able to experience a small few of these... though haven't played any PC-88/98 titles yet. Really want to try out the LOH Gagarv trilogy on something other than the botched PSP ports.

And funny seeing Buster and Square Resort on here. Was playing those a few weeks ago. Square Resort my friend and I didn't really like too much but the music was great! Buster was ehhh... a bit too slow for my tastes but it looks nice! Reminds me a bit of the arcade Willow. Damn, the 68k is such an amazing platform, it's a shame it's so much work to source everything from Japan and get set up.

Top Bottom