• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I love the PS5 as a console but I hate its UI

Where the flying f can I find recently met players? There‘s always been a tab for this on the PS4. I even googlef it but they made a rather unnecessary update, again, and now everything looks a little bit different compared to the 3 tutorials I watched to get in contact with a great guy I just met online.

And why is it so damn complicated to invite other players to a party?

I really love my PS5 and I play a lot with it, but the UI has been the worst I‘ve ever experienced. And yes, I had all Sony systems before.

What a bunch of horseshit it is, whenever I try to find something I have to google it before finding t myself because the UI is so bad organized. But thank you so much for the activity cards which no one ever uses. Great job, Sony.

And why does the PS4 version of a game keep popping up no matter how often i delete the game in my catalogue?

Also, am I the only one thinking there‘s a really weird strategy behind all thus? Like first they make everything extremely difficult, just to be glorified to heaven when they release an update which males it a little bit easier to navigate and actually find useful stuff. Somehow it smells like corporate conspiracy.

Last edited:
Where the flying f can I find recently met players? There‘s always been a tab for this on the PS4. I even googlef it but they made a rather unnecessary update, again, and now everything looks a little bit different compared to the 3 tutorials I watched to get in contact with a great guy I just met online.

And why is it so damn complicated to invite other players to a party?

I really love my PS5 and I play a lot with it, but the UI has been the worst I‘ve ever experienced. And yes, I had all Sony systems before.

What a bunch of horseshit it is, whenever I try to find something I have to google it before finding t myself because the UI is so bad organized. But thank you so much for the activity cards which no one ever uses. Great job, Sony.

And why does the PS4 version of a game keep popping up no matter how often i delete the game in my catalogue?

Also, am I the only one thinking there‘s a really weird strategy behind all thus? Like first they make everything extremely difficult, just to be glorified to heaven when they release an update which males it a little bit easier to navigate and actually find useful stuff. Somehow it smells like corporate conspiracy.
I mean... the XBox and the PS consoles are just the UI.. so... you do sort of hate the console... and love the games..

Last edited:
It‘s like constantly getting disappointed whenever you try to do sonething besides just playing games and already knowing that sooner or later you‘ll facepalm yourself because of how stupid Sony seems to be.
Being the anti-social loser, I don't really mess with the social aspects so that could be it. The rest seems to work alright for what I need it to do. Not to take away from those that don't like it and all, but it's just more surprise that people feel so hard on it.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Being the anti-social loser, I don't really mess with the social aspects so that could be it. The rest seems to work alright for what I need it to do. Not to take away from those that don't like it and all, but it's just more surprise that people feel so hard on it.
Lol Yup all I do is play single player games so the UI is near perfect for me

As someone that doesn’t mess about in the PS5 UI too much its fine for me. Its high resolution 4k, fast and snappy and it looks nice. I feel like usually people complain about it when they are new to using it or jump between consoles. Its fairly simple when you get used to it.

FbSSpScXEAAaIo0

This was the last shot i took of mine

Last edited:
i luv PS5 except the UI.
and the store
and the light on the console
and the light on the controller
and the mic being on by default
how messy collection filters are
and how big and heavy the console is
no reviews on games
PS plus filled with shovelware and when u click on them u dont get a pic or video or anything.
it doesn't detect ethernet automatically

what ppl mean when they say they love PS5, is they like playstation exclusives. Because xbox does nearly everything better.

jaysius

Banned
As someone that doesn’t mess about in the PS5 UI too much its fine for me. Its high resolution 4k, fast and snappy and it looks nice. I feel like usually people complain about it when they are new to using it or jump between consoles. Its fairly simple when you get used to it.

FbSSpScXEAAaIo0

Why is it installing TLoU when you already have it installed?

bender

What time is it?

FbSSpScXEAAaIo0

It's inconsistencies like hitting start on your home icons brings up a different menu than hitting home on your games from the game library. To "check for updates" or look at "update history", I have to launch the game first. Speaking of the Game Library, it doesn't remember your last sort. The Store is also barebones.

sainraja

Why is it installing TLoU when you already have it installed?
TLOU: P1 is the active card. The one installing is the P2 card. ND just didn't bother with game art.

My bad, makes sense now, small picture was easy to make the mistake.
Not your fault. The screenshot does not show the TLOU: P1 with the focus highlight so it is a little clearer when you are using it BUT there is definitely room for improvement (e.g. move the PS5 badge over the card and the title underneath.)

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
TLOU: P1 is the active card. The one installing is the P2 card. ND just didn't bother with game art.

Not your fault. The screenshot does not show the TLOU: P1 with the focus highlight so it is a little clearer when you are using it BUT there is definitely room for improvement (e.g. move the PS5 badge over the card and the title underneath.)
I mean at least there’s no cancerous fucking ads on the $500+ machine you own and pay monthly for online service like on the Xbox UI.

I love my Series X but FUCK ADS on a home screen on something you own and pay monthly for, in fact one of the only way to NOT get said ADS is to be offline, that’s just so fucked up it blows my mind.

i luv PS5 except the UI.
and the store
and the light on the console
and the light on the controller
and the mic being on by default
how messy collection filters are
and how big and heavy the console is
no reviews on games
PS plus filled with shovelware and when u click on them u dont get a pic or video or anything.
it doesn't detect ethernet automatically

what ppl mean when they say they love PS5, is they like playstation exclusives. Because xbox does nearly everything better.

The irony is the big outcry about the xbox UI last week, and people posting redesigns that look exactly like the PS5 UI

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/xbox-home-ui-2023-info-and-screenshot.1641192/

I’ll take the ps5 UI over that cluttered mess anyday

R6Rider

Gold Member
I like the UI overall. The store being built into it instead of an application is great.

Xbox UI is worse, especially the store. The UI has no flow and it's like three style blended into one. The "updated" look they showed recently is even worse.

Last edited:

Esca

The ps5 ui is overtake a step backwards. I missed the integrated stuff like looking at a game page and they'd have links to streams, user videos. I liked looking on the game page and using that stuff now.
That's just one thing that bothers me about it and don't see mentioned much

user1337

Just to answer your question in case you are genuinely still searching for it. It's in "Game Base -> search for players" the list you get there is what you are looking for. Game base used to be called social or something before, it's the icon with the 2 people in it.

Reactions: TLZ
I can never remember/figure out how to just... leave a voice chat party. I swear I go through like 50 sub menus and icons before finding the actual exit 💀

One other thing is I wish that if you're playing a game, it would give a prompt or ask "do you want to close Current Game [X]" if you click on another game. There's been a handful of times where I just accidentally highlighted the wrong tile and immediately had the current game closed.

At the very least, I think there should be an option to have that prompt. I can't see why anybody would be against that

Last edited:
Never had a PS4 and was coming from an xbox s and...it seems more than fine. As always there's definitely room for improvements and all, but hate?
Think of it like the blades from 2005. Fast and intuitive but by 2010 was slow and annoying. Ps3 xmb was fast and snappy and had all the functionality at the ready. Ps4 had cut a lot out but still functional. Ps5 is the gym ryan of xmbs. It fucking sucks.

The ps5 ui is overtake a step backwards. I missed the integrated stuff like looking at a game page and they'd have links to streams, user videos. I liked looking on the game page and using that stuff now.
That's just one thing that bothers me about it and don't see mentioned much
That‘s another thing i was pissed off about recently. Where are all the streams gone? Now it seems (just a wild guess, haven‘t tried it yet and I‘m pretty sure somebody screwed that up as well) I have to start the twitch app, then search for the game and maybe find something interesting. Instead of just making a click to something that looks interesting in the preview page of the game. Why. Sony, why?

Just to answer your question in case you are genuinely still searching for it. It's in "Game Base -> search for players" the list you get there is what you are looking for. Game base used to be called social or something before, it's the icon with the 2 people in it.
Nope, all I see there are people I might know based on mutual friends. Nowhere does it show people I‘ve recently met.

SAHiBnK.jpg

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I think the Xbox one is better than the PS5 one, however as someone who doesn’t use any social features on PS, I do appreciate it’s simplicity. That being said, based on the latest insider build Xbox are going to completely destroy their UI soon.

Skifi28

All I do is play games without engaging in any social stuff, so works great for me. For anything more complicated I just use my PC.

Top Bottom