• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I made a 540º McTwist - Revert - Manual - Crow Eating combo on Sonic Frontiers

Whitecrow

Banned
Yeah, because saying just a 180 turn wasnt enough.

Last night, moved by my will of wanting to like Sonic Frontiers (and a bit of good Sonic abstinence syndrome) I caved in again and bought it for the second time. And started a new game instead of just loading the previous one.
And I dont know what the fuck happened. Or maybe yes, but let me continue.

I'm having a lot of ups and downs on my emotional state lately, (as always), but that alone doesnt explain how different the experience was this time compared to the first.
It's like at the first time I was high or something, or who knows, but nothing in the game connected with me. I honestly felt like it was just what I was expecting. And my brain decided beforehand that that was no fun.

I always loved the Sonic spectacle side. Running through walls and loops and grinding on twisting floating rails. But until now, the games offered that with measure, and that was what made me appreciate it. Because the dosage felt...adequate.
Now Frontiers overloads you to hell and back with that. Fuck the dosage. You want ice cream? We have a truck full of it, all for you to take < 3
I thought that would ruin the spectacle. And I tried the game, and I felt that.

Also had some other thoughts, like the writing, aesthetics and plot seeming a bit detached from one another. But I think that here, what ruined it for me was the spanish dub, which seems to have some really bad lines that made me say, 'Who the fuck says THAT in a conversation like this??' in the first conversations with Amy.

Anyway. I wanted to saciate my thirst. But not before make some adjustments and download some mods... well, a single mod, a Sonic Unleashed HD model. Right from the beggining. And of course, english voices.

And yeah, this time the experience was soooo much better. I actually like (a lot) how Sonic looks (I think the OG model is ugly), conversations look a lot less cringy, and I think that alone made me be able to push a bit more into the game.
So let me spell the magic words... I had fun.

So much fun actually that I couldnt put it down even being very late at night. I felt the music making good company, the pop-in didnt affect my experience at all... I dont know. My brain was a bit shut off, with no stupid anxiety alarms ringing. And enjoyed the hell out of my playtime.

I still stand by my major criticisms, but at least I could do what a lot of people did, find the fun and great experience that was 'hidden' under the flaws. I dont know to which extent the Sonic model mod and the og voices did help, but dont care.
Great fun there indeed.

PD The thread title is a reference to skate moves on Tony Hawk games : )

Last edited:

Skifi28

jlaayuQ.jpg

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I picked up my nephews from school yesterday and watched them for the afternoon. I got around to asking them what they had on their xmas list for santa. Sonic Frontiers was the first thing they mentioned.

My first response:
S9Eoe4u.gif

Then they spent 25 minutes explaining the lore behind the game, which btw had nothing to do with the actual lore behind the game, but apparently everyone in grades 2 - 6 has this game on their xmas list.
When I spoke to their dad he said that's the one thing they haven't gotten for the kids yet so I said I would snag it.

This AM:

Target - PS5 In stock, no sonic frontiers
Walmart - XSX in stock, no sonic frontiers
Best Buy - PS5 In stock, XSX in stock, no sonic frontiers

.....PS gift card ftw.

I guess some youtubers have blown this game up?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm glad you liked it! I do remember you being extremely against this game so it's interesting to read about what made you change your mind.

The game's pretty fun. I've been anticipating getting back to it soon. Still have the majority of it to play. Been a busy season

I picked up my nephews from school yesterday and watched them for the afternoon. I got around to asking them what they had on their xmas list for santa. Sonic Frontiers was the first thing they mentioned.

My first response:
S9Eoe4u.gif

Then they spent 25 minutes explaining the lore behind the game, which btw had nothing to do with the actual lore behind the game, but apparently everyone in grades 2 - 6 has this game on their xmas list.
When I spoke to their dad he said that's the one thing they haven't gotten for the kids yet so I said I would snag it.

This AM:

.....PS gift card ftw.

No, its just good. The last proper 3D sonic game was on Dreamcast. Frontiers is on par, if not better.

anthony2690

Banned

My first response:
S9Eoe4u.gif

This AM:

.....PS gift card ftw.

I noticed the game is out of stock at a lot places in the UK too, it did go on sale for £35.

Then again Sonic Prime TV show just came out too?

Could be a whole host of factors.

Also the game is excellent too :)

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned

My first response:
S9Eoe4u.gif

This AM:

.....PS gift card ftw.

Sega has learned how to make money in 2022 by buying Youtubers :messenger_neutral:. Quick! Kill it before it learns to open doors!

Holammer

My first response:
S9Eoe4u.gif

This AM:

.....PS gift card ftw.

Maybe they read the IDW comics? If you heard any mention of Surge & Kitsune, Whisper or Tangle? That would be a dead giveaway.
I don't think the recent Netflix Sonic Prime percolated down already to seriously affect sales of Frontiers.

Whitecrow

Banned

My first response:
S9Eoe4u.gif

This AM:

.....PS gift card ftw.

Honestly, I cant really put my finger on it. Or my tail. Or my spikes.
I dont think the game excels in any department but somehow the formula kinda works?

If someone told me, 'Im gonna make a Sonic game where the whole world is just flooded with rails and springs floating in the sky because yes, and you have to collect things to collect things to collect things' I would have laughed so hard.
On paper to me looks like trash, but like, there's enough nuances there that the experience is not even half as bad as it sounds.
I was so sure that I would get bored of rail/spring traversal after some hours, but I think it works so flawlessly and with good flow that ends up being really enjoyable.

Is that like a reverse dirty sanchez but with a sonic costume?

When you say McTwist, you are referring to Mike McGill correct?
I dont know who those are... so yes.

Ozzie666

Game would have been amazing if it had launched as a Switch exclusive in 2017. It's what I imagine Nintendo would have done with the franchise if given the chance, bringing in-line with the Zelda approach.
I'm glad Sonic continues to bring people happiness.

buenoblue

Never underestimate sonic. I've had sonic as my phone wallpaper for like 15 years and everytime someone sees it they say they love sonic.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I was thinking about getting this for my wife for Christmas (PS5) but I need to watch more footage.

She's a beast at Genesis Sonic but I don't think she's ever tried a 3D one. I'd feel terrible if I tarnished her love for Sonic.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Grabbed this on Series X as a Christmas present for my kid when it dropped to a low of $29 at Walmart a couple weeks ago. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't also for me lol. Can't wait to play it!

Whitecrow

Banned
I was thinking about getting this for my wife for Christmas (PS5) but I need to watch more footage.

She's a beast at Genesis Sonic but I don't think she's ever tried a 3D one. I'd feel terrible if I tarnished her love for Sonic.
Í would say it wont tarnish anything. The gameplay loop is hard to understand at first, once you get it, it's a great experience. And the characters are written as usual, nothing relevant there.
But well, I might not be the best to talk.
I'm enjoying it a lot more than I ever imagined I would do.

Barakov

Gold Member
Yeah, because saying just a 180 turn wasnt enough.

Last night, moved by my will of wanting to like Sonic Frontiers (and a bit of good Sonic abstinence syndrome) I caved in again and bought it for the second time. And started a new game instead of just loading the previous one.
And I dont know what the fuck happened. Or maybe yes, but let me continue.

I'm having a lot of ups and downs on my emotional state lately, (as always), but that alone doesnt explain how different the experience was this time compared to the first.
It's like at the first time I was high or something, or who knows, but nothing in the game connected with me. I honestly felt like it was just what I was expecting. And my brain decided beforehand that that was no fun.

I always loved the Sonic spectacle side. Running through walls and loops and grinding on twisting floating rails. But until now, the games offered that with measure, and that was what made me appreciate it. Because the dosage felt...adequate.
Now Frontiers overloads you to hell and back with that. Fuck the dosage. You want ice cream? We have a truck full of it, all for you to take < 3
I thought that would ruin the spectacle. And I tried the game, and I felt that.

Also had some other thoughts, like the writing, aesthetics and plot seeming a bit detached from one another. But I think that here, what ruined it for me was the spanish dub, which seems to have some really bad lines that made me say, 'Who the fuck says THAT in a conversation like this??' in the first conversations with Amy.

Anyway. I wanted to saciate my thirst. But not before make some adjustments and download some mods... well, a single mod, a Sonic Unleashed HD model. Right from the beggining. And of course, english voices.

And yeah, this time the experience was soooo much better. I actually like (a lot) how Sonic looks (I think the OG model is ugly), conversations look a lot less cringy, and I think that alone made me be able to push a bit more into the game.
So let me spell the magic words... I had fun.

So much fun actually that I couldnt put it down even being very late at night. I felt the music making good company, the pop-in didnt affect my experience at all... I dont know. My brain was a bit shut off, with no stupid anxiety alarms ringing. And enjoyed the hell out of my playtime.

I still stand by my major criticisms, but at least I could do what a lot of people did, find the fun and great experience that was 'hidden' under the flaws. I dont know to which extent the Sonic model mod and the og voices did help, but dont care.
Great fun there indeed.

PD The thread title is a reference to skate moves on Tony Hawk games : )
scratching tv show GIF

Top Bottom