• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

I miss being blown away by new-gen graphics....

Wonko_C

Jul 5, 2010
Cancun, Mexico.
So Horizon 2 gameplay came and went aaaand... I can see it coming to PS4 without much sacrifice. Maybe lower resolution, worse shadows, lesser precision effects, no Ray tracing but it will ultimately be the same experience. I don't think we'll be seeing Forza Horizon 2 (unfortunate name coincidence) Xbox One to Xbox 360 levels of downgrade here.

Last edited:

just-a-spaz

Mar 16, 2014
So Horizon 2 gameplay came and went aaaand... I can see it coming to PS4 without much sacrifice. Maybe lower resolution, worse shadows, lesser precision effects, no Ray tracing but it will ultimately be the same experience. I don't think we'll be seeing Forza Horizon 2 (unfortunate name coincidence) Xbox One to Xbox 360 levels of downgrade here.
Horizon 2 is the best looking thing on console right now. It looks better than Ratchet and Clank in my opinion. I think they've got some sort of global illumination going on too with how the characters faces seem to be lit up from the bounce lighting off the sand.

Spukc

Jan 24, 2015

Rudius

Feb 19, 2020
Okay guys....

The new Horizon Forbidden West gameplay actually blew me away. Those are the best visuals I think I've ever seen on any platform. Truly stunning stuff. It also looks like they're using some sort of global illumination too.
To me reaching new heights is not as important as achieving a good baseline. When I watch movies from the 60's and 70's, in good digital conversions, I don't think: "oh God, I wish they use better cameras." The technical quality was good enough for what they were trying to create.

When I saw the concept art of the first Horizon and the game running on PS4 I got the same feeling. The technology was sufficient for them to realize their vision.

But maybe they created the concept arts with the power of a PS4 in mind and thus limited it from the start...

Phase

Sep 25, 2019
Hellblade 2
Graphically I'm sure it'll look fantastic, and there were some cool environments in 1. But honestly, I can't see them making much more out of what Hellblade is (mechanically) without trying to turn it into God of War or something. The game's fighting was so boring and bad to me that the graphics couldn't make up for it.

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Okay guys....

The new Horizon Forbidden West gameplay actually blew me away. Those are the best visuals I think I've ever seen on any platform. Truly stunning stuff. It also looks like they're using some sort of global illumination too.

Time to change that thread title.

Reactions: Bombolone

namekuseijin

Banned
Jun 10, 2020
Okay guys....

that's nothing. After 3 years playing basically just VR lower resolution and mostly old graphics, I came back to Horizon ZD in the wake of this and was blown away already. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

last I played it was 1080p, now I played 4K HDR... it's incredibly gorgeous, I think only AC Odyssey is a match, but texture quality probably way lower...

Buki1

Oct 26, 2018
I miss the early days of PS4 when they showcased Killzone Shadowfall, DriveClub, The Order 1886, Infamous Second Son, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, The Last of Us Part 2... etc.

Every time they showed something for the PS4, I was floored at how good it all looked.

I get you, but PS3 to PS4 wasnt that much of a jump either. I'm old enough to remember 90s and the shock value of switching from SNES to Playstation - the graphic difference was unreal, games like Tekken, Ridge Racer or Destruction Derby with car parts flying all over after hit was something beyond crazy. And then switching from PS1 to PS2 and seeing fully 3d GTA after playing top-down GTA2... or even seeing Motorstorm first time on PS3 on a LCD hd screen that absolutely killed anything from the low res PS2.

Its sad that we wont see that kind of graphical jumps anymore. I'm still on PS4 cause I dont see anything that would justify switching to next gen.

THEAP99

reposts tweets from kids about console wars
Mar 16, 2020
Not talking about Halo Infinite but nice spin move. :messenger_loudly_crying:
What i am saying is that people should be extremely weary of expecting "real-time" footage to look anything like the game. Halo Infinite is an example of that

VFXVeteran

Professional Victim (Vetted)
Nov 5, 2019
What i am saying is that people should be extremely weary of expecting "real-time" footage to look anything like the game. Halo Infinite is an example of that
That goes both ways though. We can't go crazy over cinematics period. Gameplay is when our eyes should open to see what's going on.

Reactions: ZywyPL and THEAP99

Vasto

Mar 12, 2016

I am not weary at all for Hellblade 2 because I know what the have done already with the 1st game. Hellblade 2 will be a visual showcase and anybody saying it wont is just in denial and downplaying.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Mar 22, 2017
You might just not enjoy video games.
I see too many people really stressing too much over graphics, which makes me question do they even enjoy act of playing video games or they just like staring their TV screen and counting pixels all day.

ZywyPL

Nov 27, 2018
We can't even trust gameplay demos anymore either:

You forgot to add that infamous "gameplay" of The Division to the bunch ;) But I think we are already past those kind of practices, the publishers learned already there will always be a huge backslash when they'll show a fake gameplay, the last time it happened was Anthem, so now EA also knows to not to mess with gamets like that.

Kenpachii

Mar 23, 2018
You forgot to add that infamous "gameplay" of The Division to the bunch ;) But I think we are already past those kind of practices, the publishers learned already there will always be a huge backslash when they'll show a fake gameplay, the last time it happened was Anthem, so now EA also knows to not to mess with gamets like that.

The only thing publishers learned is that pre-ordering is the most important thing u can pull off and with that promise the universe and bullshit as much as you can, u should have seen the dying light 2 stream. holy shit. preorder now guys, preorder preorder.

U can thank that shitter from nomansky for this, and cyberpunk reinforced it completely. hell that whole dying light 2 stream was basically cyberpunk marketing to the teeth.

Last edited:

Elysion

Jan 11, 2020
I haven‘t been blown away by graphics since the PS2/XBox/GC generation, and I mostly blame Sony for that. Their infamous Killzone 2 and Motorstorm trailers from E3 2005 created such high expectations for me that no game to this day has managed to reach. I totally fell for those trailers, and genuinely believed that this would be the level of visuals we could expect from games on PS3. Needless to say, reality didn‘t even come close to my expectations.

When PS4 came out, I thought, „okay, PS3 and Xbox360 were disappointing, but maybe now we can finally get those CG level visuals we saw at E3 2005!“ Alas, my hopes and dreams were shattered once more, because no matter how good some of the games from last gen looked, they still didn‘t compare to those infamous trailers. Now we‘re on PS5, and I‘m still waiting for a game that looks as good. To be fair, we‘re getting pretty close now, and I‘m relatively confident that in a few years we will see games that approach the level of visual fidelity from those trailers. It only took us twenty years, lol.

Aug 21, 2018
To be fair, the original watchdog gameplay trsiler look shockingly good.

iHaunter

Sep 6, 2015
I see too many people really stressing too much over graphics, which makes me question do they even enjoy act of playing video games or they just like staring their TV screen and counting pixels all day.
A lot of people I see, seem to enjoy measuring pixels rather than play games.

Reactions: Danjin44
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
U can thank that shitter from nomansky for this, and cyberpunk reinforced it completely. hell that whole dying light 2 stream was basically cyberpunk marketing to the teeth.
No Man's Sky team at least made up for their blunder as an indie dev. Cyberpunk team is still on the clock though.

Feb 3, 2020
I miss the early days of PS4 when they showcased Killzone Shadowfall, DriveClub, The Order 1886, Infamous Second Son, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, The Last of Us Part 2... etc.

Every time they showed something for the PS4, I was floored at how good it all looked.

Now-a-days though it's like... HEY IT LOOKS THE SAME AS A PS4 GAME BUT IT HAS 60FPS!!!! WOW 60FPS! SO NEXT GEN!

I'm so sick of it.

The last time I was blown away by something for the PS5, was when they showed off UE5. That's pretty much it. Everything else just looks like last gen stuff with some extra detail and 4K resolution.

I must confess though, I've stayed away from any videos or screenshots of Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart because I wanna go in with fresh eyes. Hopefully this is the game that really makes me think "Man, now this is what next gen can really do"

What are your thoughts? Is 60fps enough to call it "next gen" or do you really wanna see that graphical leap we've come to expect each new generation even if it has to be 30fps.

If a game looks as good as UE5 demo, I'll gladly play it at 30fps.

In my opinion, Demons Souls Remake was the first game giving this "next-gen feeling" with highter geometry density. Ratchet and Horizon gives something in the same way.

But not compared like the upgrade from Killzone 3 to Shadow Fall. Sounded massive.

The point is, we will see something really crazy only on second next-gen wave, with new geometry meshes technology, more CPU and i/o bound, i.e., graphical engines completely rewrited.

Reactions: ZywyPL