• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I miss Super Mario Strikers and its Personality. (Waluigi GIF alert)

SalvaPot

I am actually excited for FIFA 17 on the Switch (The first FIFA game I am buying since 2005), but there is no denying that I am itching for something different.

I miss a game with frantic, brutal action, athletic marvels, and pure unadulterated attitude...

I want Super Mario Strikers back so badly.

ea2.gif

Just like at the sass.

95349e99b8e105bc1638b6ecb00212ccc9453efa_hq.gif

The grace.

tumblr_njbyug2Mm51qb0wv3o1_500.gif

The Pure Chaos.

Tu3o7l.gif

The Drama.

tumblr_mq3b0pjaO71rznf6uo2_500.gif

And the pure celebration of this honest sport.

If there is a game that would be totally awesome for the Switch is this one. Even an updated port will be enough, but adding tons of characters old and new will make this a million seller, easily. Add costumes with Amiibo if you feel like it, make it the game to get for local and online multiplayer, I know I'll play for it.

Oh Next Level Games, where are you? Go back to what made you great in the first place. Or at least a new Punch-Out.

And keep the Pause music.

exfatal

This game is amazing and its a damn shame nintendo hasn't released a new one yet. Hell at this point i'll take a remake of the first one.
t0NKqM.gif

ask and you shall receive

HotHamBoy

Excellent series, the Wii game was a surprise hit with my friend and I.

The new 3DS Mario Sports game has soccer, right? Is it basically just Strikers?

jwk94

I'd like a new one too. I rented Charged for the WIi and it was soo much fun but holy hell was it hard.

Menitta

Strikers had the best art style of any Mario game hands down. I wish we could get more Mario games with a different style like this now that it seems like they're phasing out the NSMB look.

KraytarJ

I still love OG strikers to this day, absolutely hated what Charged ended up being however. If they walked some of that back I'd be totally down for a new strikers game on the Switch.

One of the most violent E rated games easy

Too bad that Mario(and a bunch of other Nintendo IPs tbh) are currently stuck with lame artstyles that are basically defined by saturated colors and simple shapes

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I remember my cousin letting me have this game, and made me realize I sucked at soccer games

I had fun playing this with my cousin for a while, but the game is pretty broken. It's no fun when others rely on "exploits."

Metal B

I'm surprised, nobody took the concept and made there own game out of it. You have a combination of the most popular sports on the world (soccer and football for the US), a cool attitude, star characters (similar to Overwatch or DOTA), e-sports potential and freaking Minions.

Nintendo also should drop the Mario charakters and create an unique cost. There is so much money to make here.

HardRojo

Fuck I loved this game so much! Yeah, I want a new one, it had a lot of personality and made me love Waluigi a lot more.

I loved Sega Soccer Slam and Super Mario Strikers. They are probably my most played sports games.

I am not sure how memorable Sega Soccer Slam is nowadays, but something like Nintendo vs Sega Strikers that combines the gameplay of both might be my ideal sports game. Sega Soccer Slam let you punch characters, so I always felt like Nintendo might not like that. But looking at the Mario/Rabbids game, they might not care about that anymore.

Psyfer

I loved playing with the teleport characters in Strikers Charged. Picking Waluigi/Daisy and a team like Dry Bones, Dry Bones, Hammer Bro. was a lot of fun.

Didn't really like Mega Strikes though. Slowed the game down too much for my tastes. It was fun for a while, trying to figure out setups for getting 5 shot strikes in while you didn't have your Captain's Special (and even then, some weren't guaranteed if you didn't use them right, like Waluigi's Wall), but as people got better, it became obvious that it was nearly impossible.

Totally agree. The game is sup t fun and unique, nothing else has really filled the void. I'd love to see a sequel or even a remaster. There is so much potential to add to the game including online MP.

My brothers would go crazy for this.

I loved playing with the teleport characters in Strikers Charged. Picking Waluigi/Daisy and a team like Dry Bones, Dry Bones, Hammer Bro. was a lot of fun.

Didn't really like Mega Strikes though. Slowed the game down too much for my tastes. It was fun for a while, trying to figure out setups for getting 5 shot strikes in while you didn't have your Captain's Special (and even then, some weren't guaranteed if you didn't use them right, like Waluigi's Wall), but as people got better, it became obvious that it was nearly impossible.

Agree with this. Was never a fan of the mega strikes.

woopWOOP

Matches between me and my friend usually devolved into American Football style slamming, where we just constantly knocked each other out, then spam the items we both got for getting hit by these repeated illigal moves. It was pure chaos and I loved it.

If they bring back Strikers they can get rid off the team captains' multiple goal super kick move tho, I always thought that was pretty lame.

chunk3rvd

Matches between me and my friend usually devolved into American Football style slamming, where we just constantly knocked each other out, then spam the items we both got for getting hit by these repeated illigal moves. It was pure chaos and I loved it.

If they bring back Strikers they can get rid off the team captains' multiple goal super kick move tho, I always thought that was pretty lame.
My friend had a Mii he used to take online called "A + SHAKE". He'd pick Petey and 3 Birdo's then just spam A to change character and waggle like crazy to endlessly tackle people. It was brutal but used to make me laugh. Better players would just use the endless supply of items to destroy him but some people were just helpless

Edit: Also, love this thread so much. Top 5 Wii game for me and one of the only online games where I've ever felt like i was top tier. Would be there day 1 for a Switch game

meppi

Yeah, I hate soccer and soccer games in general, but I'd love to see a sequel to this!

While we're at it, ARMS made me realise just how much I want Beach Spikers 2 to be a reality as well.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Mario Strikers Charged was the first ever online game I played on a console. In fact I bought the game specifically for that reason. Good times. I'd love a new one.

One and hurry up and give Waluigi his own game already.

I still love OG strikers to this day, absolutely hated what Charged ended up being however. If they walked some of that back I'd be totally down for a new strikers game on the Switch.

Same here, much prefer the Gamecube version.

It actually plays a bit more like hockey than soccer with walls and what basically amounts to checking. I figured a hockey sequel was a no brainer - Super Mario Slapshot.

Haunted

Strikers Charged was the best sports game of its generation.

Next Level games was on fire during that time, with Strikers, Charged and Punch-Out.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It was a fantastic game but man did it have it's problems. People could spam the same things over and over again. Would be nice to see today when they would be willing to easily patch stuff.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
It was a surprisingly awesome game. Local wifi multi would suit the game very well as well.

That and toadstool tour for GC, I miss them so much. Give me both back

Linari

Neo Member
There's a lot about this game that I liked. But the system mechanics (z-chip specifically) and the cast really made an impact on me that make sad that we will never see something like it again.

The z-chip mechanic introduced into the series really opened up the game. With the tricks you could do is astounding and really drifted away from the luck based game (shooting is still viable) that would normally turn me off on an average sports game. The play-style and speed differences of the characters helped as well (Mained Yoshi/Dry/Boo/Boo), so the team combinations you could make really hammered this game into my memory. So much freedom.

Here are tiers I came up with, some might disagree with some things:

Top:

Boo - Can do almost every trick found in the metagame. Relatively versatile and is fast. Has a teleport deke, not to mention THAT ITS teleport FUCKING FAST AS HELL.

Waluigi - AKA "The Gawd" Also can do almost every trick in the meta, but can only pick one of him :<. As fast if not faster than Boo and Dry. Versatile as well.

Bry Bones - Again can do almost every trick in meta (can't self pass). Versatile. Fast on his feet. Quality top tier character.

Good:(These guys can be interchanged around in this tier.)

Wario - Shooting monster. Dangerous to let anything pass to him. His slowness is offset by his passing.

Daisy - Why pick her? You should be picking Waluigi instead. Joking aside, you do almost every trick except for self-passing and is relatively versatile. Like Waluigi, you can only pick one of her :<.

DK - If Wario is a shooting monster, then DK is a powerhouse shooter. Other than that he is the opposite of Wario.

Birdo - He is a monster on both offense and defense. Lacks anything else though.

Diddy Kong - Not much to say about him, but he too can do almost every trick in meta. Whenever I played him something was off compared to Waluigi or Boo.

Hammer Bro - Scrub cleaner/hammer. The so-called cheap character that washed the scrub right out of me in the earlier days of release. Still wrecks shop when pass to and for some reason he can self-pass, which is unusual for slow character. His deke is great too.

Okay:

The Rest of the cast - They are all good. Some of them have special niche things that work for them such as Yoshi with his big hit having a weird but useful hitbox (which is why I mained him).

To quote myself I said sometime ago...

Pretty much this is probably one of my favorite games of all time just loved seeing how the meta developed over time as I played online. From hammer bros and mega strikes being Op to tricks being found to its final straw with the boo-glitch. Too bad the boo-glitch exploit ended ruining online with other randoms. Had to play wth others online with awfull friend codes.

The original one on the Gamecube, was also fun just not a deep without the chip mechanic.

It is a damn shame they killed off the series.

I absolutely adored CHARGED no matter how much bullshit and cheap shit happened to me. Seeing shit like the goalie drop kicking someone in mid-aire just before they tried to take a shot on his goal or a hammer brother smashing the goalie with hammers before kicking it in? LOVE IT

Top Bottom