• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I miss the days where video games had a lot of anthropomorphic character mascots...

levyjl1988

Banned
We had so many iconic characters like...

Donkey Kong
Star Fox
Yoshi
Sonic the Hedgehog
Banjo Kazooie
Pikachu
Spyro
Crash Bandicoot
Ratchet
Battletoads
Sly Cooper
PaRappa
Conker the Squirrel

Instead, gaming is flooded with the typical humanoid with some RPG silhouette with either a gun or some sort of sword.
I want to go back to the good old times when video games felt diverse (an I'm not talking about skin color and sexual preference) and had more animal characters as mascots.

I think the most recent new characters were Yook-a-Laylee. I just want more playable anthropomorphic characters to play as.

chromhound

Good days
Conkers Bad Fur Day Money GIF

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Recent games where you play as an animal? Death's Door and Rain World come to mind.

mortal

Gold Member
What do you mean? Games with anthropomorphic characters haven't gone anywhere.

Last edited:

Rran

Nintendo still does this regularly, although actual brand new...like, "species" (for lack of a better word) from them are pretty uncommon. They'll have new Toad-type characters in games but if it's part of an established IP like Mario or Animal Crossing, they mostly fall back on familiar faces.

I guess Pokemon might qualify?

GymWolf

Aren't all the platform games protagonists like that even today? Yooka lele and the others for example...

levyjl1988

Banned
Anthropomorphic characters just have such wide varied gameplay and animations that it feels unique. Banjo Kazooies movesets, Yoshi’s movesets, etc. It just feels amazingly different from the typical shooter game style.

.Pennywise

Banned
Yeah dude, I also miss those old days where we had so much anthropomorphic characters like Crash, Sonic, Spyro, Pokemon, Yooka-Laylee, Tunic, Bugsnax, Battletoads, TMNT, F.I.S.T.: Forged In Shadow Torch, Backbone, Death's Door, Ratchet & Clank, Ori, Yoshi...

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
We had so many iconic characters like...

Donkey Kong
Star Fox
Yoshi
Sonic the Hedgehog
Banjo Kazooie
Pikachu
Spyro
Crash Bandicoot
Ratchet
Battletoads
Sly Cooper
PaRappa
Conker the Squirrel

Instead, gaming is flooded with the typical humanoid with some RPG silhouette with either a gun or some sort of sword.
I want to go back to the good old times when video games felt diverse (an I'm not talking about skin color and sexual preference) and had more animal characters as mascots.

I think the most recent new characters were Yook-a-Laylee. I just want more playable anthropomorphic characters to play as.

90% of those characters still exist and have been in games relatively recently?

MiguelItUp

Yeah, a lot of those characters are still around. Some in some way, shape, or form, to some degree.

I just miss that part of the 90's where almost every single brand had a mascot or character.

Pejo

That's very much a 90s thing. The 2000s switched to bald space marine, and now we're at purple/pink wacky zoomer shooter stuff with ugly characters.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
If you’re craving lombax titties, just get a PS5.
The Great Mascot Wars ended when Jak became a GTA character wannabe. Only Sonic didn’t get the memo and keeps trying, but last I heard, he still hasn’t killed Mario.

Goodbye Volcano Hight got you covered:

capsule_616x353.jpg
It’s almost unfair how the little we saw of this never stops giving.
You kinda want it to actually release just for the endless meme potential.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
i think the OP is asking for newer anthro mascots, not the same ones from the 90s
in which case, there's super lucky's tale
and Cuphead

nush

It’s almost unfair how the little we saw of this never stops giving.
You kinda want it to actually release just for the endless meme potential.

They said it's due to be released this year :)messenger_tears_of_joy:), a maximum of six months now until it delivers the lulz.

CeeJay

Because microtransactions!

There are only so many different types of hats that you can put on Pikachu. Having a full character creator in a game is so much easier to make new cosmetics that they can sell you to make the character "your own".

Too bad most characters were claimed by the furries. I liked the good old days when you could indiscriminately kill your character in multiple and cruel ways mostly because they were a little cartoony and leaned towards the comic side. Will kill some Crash Bandicoot that way later today.

Top Bottom