• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoritomo

Hazaro said:
4.65?

I'd keep BLCK at 100.0Mhz. Still don't know if running it above 100 can actually cause problems, but something in me thinks that the base clock determining everything else should be locked at 100.0

It's not worth the possibility over 0.05Ghz imo

Oddly enough it's not stable at 46 multiplier at 1.28 vcore but is stable with 103 bclk and 45 multiplier at the same voltage (voltage was bumped a touch above that using offset to ensure rock solid stability). That's after 6 hours of intel burn test and prime95. Then a prime 95 run with the metro 2033 benchmark looping. I know people have mentioned not touching bclk but the asus auto overclocking feature immediately bumps bclk to 103 if you even breathe on it. The board seems to default to 103 with stock setting in the 3.4 range with a 2500k. To get 100 bclk I have to manually set it to 100. If asus seems fine with it I'll roll with it as well.

Can anyone point me to reasoning why it would be bad to up bclk even a couple of hz? Especially when the board manufacturer seems to do it almost by default even on the lowest auto performance setting.

Oops, edit: It does double pump.

RS4-

Ace 8095 said:
I'm considering the new $600 build and have a few questions. It's mentioned that the build is upgrade compatible with ivory bridge. I'm slightly confused as I thought a P67 was required to overclock those chips. If I were to buy that build, and planned on installing an ivory bridge next year, should I go ahead and buy a p67 motherboard? Also I can buy a used 6950 2gb flashed to a 6970 for $185. Should I consider that for the price?

I can't answer your IB/P67 stuff but the 6950 at that price is a yes, even if you can't flash it.

c6b05cc411aa4dfdab9f58f49a9c5be678df37af.jpeg

Goddamn, I think I need to do something like that. Details here, in french: http://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/Overcl...blog-silverstone-watercool-sujet_275102_1.htm

Ace 8095

RS4- said:
I can't answer your IB/P67 stuff but the 6950 at that price is a yes, even if you can't flash it.
If I take the $600 build, swap the 460 for the 6950 2gb flashed to a 6970, will everything still be fine?

Ace 8095

I also can get a 460 1gb for around $110. Since my max res is 1080p that might be a better option. Also I don't want a card that super loud and produces lots of heat. Please advise me gaf.

n0n44m

RS4- said:

*FT02 watercooled pic*

Goddamn, I think I need to do something like that. Details here, in french: http://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/Overcl...blog-silverstone-watercool-sujet_275102_1.htm

damn that one is nice indeed ... great cable sleeving/management

lemme post a pic of my "attempt" in a sec :p

---

messinsidehumt.jpg

my sleeving attempt was terrible (cheapo kit) .. but temps are great and the noise is low =] finished it 3 days ago, still need to fix some stuff but hadn't had time to really enjoy it until now ^^ NOW WHERE IS THAT WITCHER 2 STEAM PATCH

Darkatomz

Johnlenham said:
This one right? How would I go about installing it? like do I need to remove the previous audio drivers? as you can tell I totally know what im doing aha
If you were using an older sound card, just remove it from the Add/Remove Programs, and then run CCleaner and Driver Sweeper.

Reboot and get into your BIOS settings. Disable onboard sound processing. You're done.

Darkatomz said:
If you were using an older sound card, just remove it from the Add/Remove Programs, and then run CCleaner and Driver Sweeper.

Reboot and get into your BIOS settings. Disable onboard sound processing. You're done.

Nah just on-board sound I believe. Seems simple enough :)

thorin

I want to get a nice video card, PC GAF. If I'm setting a $500-600 CDN budget for a card, is the GTX 580 the way to go? If so, is there a specific model that's recommended?

spicy cho

thorin said:
I want to get a nice video card, PC GAF. If I'm setting a $500-600 CDN budget for a card, is the GTX 580 the way to go? If so, is there a specific model that's recommended?
You can get two 2GB HD 6950's for about the same or less than a 580. Those will outperform a single 580 by a wide margin provided CF support in the games you're playing is good.

thorin

spicy cho said:
You can get two 2GB HD 6950's for about the same or less than a 580. Those will outperform a single 580 by a wide margin provided CF support in the games you're playing is good.
What kind of drawbacks would I experience in games that don't have good CF support?

sk3tch

thorin said:
What kind of drawbacks would I experience in games that don't have good CF support?

Depends on your own preferences, really - if you're OK with futzing around and doing a lot of tweaking, dual GPU is a pretty good path. If you just want things "to work" - I would recommend focusing on a single GPU.

With that said, I currently own a 6950 2GB with unlocked shaders and a GTX 580 (selling the 6950) and if you're going for a single card - best bang/buck by FAR is the 6950. Rather than CF I decided to go for the GTX 580 because I wanted the fasted single card AND nVidia. It's all personal preference.

Smokey

My body is ready for the Battlefield 3 MP trailer today. I need to visually see the driving force of why I spent so much on my PC. It will be glorious.

don't let me down EA

Jtrizzy

Smokey said:
My body is ready for the Battlefield 3 MP trailer today. I need to visually see the driving force of why I spent so much on my PC. It will be glorious.

don't let me down EA
I'm with you man. This game is the reason I'm about to build.

JaseC said:
ASUS Xonar DG. Comes in at just under £30 judging from a quick Amazon.co.uk search.

Quoting again to say thanks! Managed to find it for £21, picked next day delivery which would have made it £28, went through checkout and they've given me next day for free!
£21 all in :D Looking forward to having my PC hooked up to real 5.1 and testing my new headphones out on it aswell!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ace 8095 said:
I also can get a 460 1gb for around $110. Since my max res is 1080p that might be a better option. Also I don't want a card that super loud and produces lots of heat. Please advise me gaf.
Either card is fine. Check benchmarks in the sites in the OP to see what you think you need and how much you want to spend.
thorin said:
No/Bad Day 1 support, general problems (Light through walls in Witcher 2), microstutter, uses more power, need to spend more on mobo/PSU, louder.

In general a single card is best and easiest for most applications. Yes, dual cards can save you some money and net you better performance, but you better be ready to troubleshoot and read up.

So it's your choice. My experience with SLi (GTX 295) has been mostly good, except for the light bleed in Witcher 2 which makes Chapter II not as much fun to play.

Does anyone know if it'd be worth going from a 90 GB Vertex 2 SSD to either a Vertex 3 128 GB/Crucial M4 128 GB or 2x 128 GB Vertex 2's in RAID 0?

I can get 2x 128 GB Vertex 2's for like $280...

So this may be retarded, but can you plug multiple SATA devices into 1 power cable? My AX850 has SATA power cables with 3 actual plugs on it.

ithorien

Saren is Bad said:
So this may be retarded, but can you plug multiple SATA devices into 1 power cable? My AX850 has SATA power cables with 3 actual plugs on it.

That's why those cables have multiple plugs, so that you can plug multiple devices into them :p

nara

Banned
almost finished with build :D i'm real happy.

quick question:
1)anyone using computer on tempered glass? Im totally going black style on my computer setup, and gonna go for this desk:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S49870846 (with t-leg)

2) is it ok to build computer on a glass desk? any problems with grouding or whatnot?

right now i have a wood desk so i would like to change to a nice black glass desk. thanks for your help!

azuki said:
almost finished with build :D i'm real happy.

quick question:
1)anyone using computer on tempered glass? Im totally going black style on my computer setup, and gonna go for this desk:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S49870846 (with t-leg)

2) is it ok to build computer on a glass desk? any problems with grouding or whatnot?

right now i have a wood desk so i would like to change to a nice black glass desk. thanks for your help!

it's pretty but what will you to manage all the wires?

nara

Banned
ithorien said:
Can get a strap but I don't think it's necessary.

I figured repeatly touching the case while building will suffice, but wondering if it can still "grounds" on a glass desk. :s

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, has the BF3 specs leaked for the beta yet? I want to build a PC for it already. ;___;

RS4-

Damn, that's a nice looking one too. I like that particular setup with keeping the stock fan under the HDD cage instead of swapping out the whole thing for a full sized radiator and 4 fans on top.

As for SSDs, it's still OCZ Vertex and Intel in terms of quality and reliability? Was thinking about a gen 2 Intel or a Vertex 2.

Tom Penny

Is $129.99 for a AMD 965 3.4 BE with a motherboard a good deal? That's what they got going at Micro Center. In store only and I'm thinking of just sucking it up and driving there.

BF3 specs??

BattleField3 Blog said:
Battlefield 3 is expected to have similar system requirements as the previous Battlefield game, Bad Company 2. Battlefiled 3 is powered by the Frostbite 2.0 engine, which is based on the previous Frostbite 1.5, which powered Bad Company 2.
While the Frostbite 2.0 engine has a lot of new features compared to 1.5, it is also more optimized as well, which will most likely result in similar performance and Battlefield 3 system requirements for the PC. Since Battlefield 3 won’t be supporting DirecX 9, it won’t run on Windows XP.

Minimum requirements for Battlefield 3

Processor: Core 2 Duo @ 2.0GHz
RAM: 2GB
Graphic card: DirectX 10 or 11 compatible Nvidia or AMD ATI card.
Graphics card memory: 512 MB
Hard drive: 15 GB for disc version or 10 GB for digital version

Recommended system requirements for Battlefield 3

Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
RAM: 4GB
Graphics card: DirectX 11 Nvidia or AMD ATI card, GeForce GTX 460, Radeon Radeon HD 6850
Graphics card memory: 1 GB
Hard drive: 15 GB for disc version or 10 GB for digital version

Source

My future build will be readaaaaaaaayyyyyy!!!!

Mudkips

Banned
azuki said:
I figured repeatly touching the case while building will suffice, but wondering if it can still "grounds" on a glass desk. :s

The case is only grounded if you've got the PSU installed and plugged in (but not on).
A trick we used in one of the labs I worked at was to take a short extension cord / power strip liberator, like so

4edSx.jpg

plug it into the wall / power strip, and then stick a small screwdriver into the ground receptacle.

Simply touch the shaft of that screwdriver once in a while to ground yourself. Obviously, don't shove anything into the other two recepticles (hot / neutral).

RS4- said:
Damn, that's a nice looking one too. I like that particular setup with keeping the stock fan under the HDD cage instead of swapping out the whole thing for a full sized radiator and 4 fans on top.
I agree. Wonder what all of them are doing with their stock fans. I'd take it off any of their hands.

Tom Penny said:
Is $129.99 for a AMD 965 3.4 BE with a motherboard a good deal? That's what they got going at Micro Center. In store only and I'm thinking of just sucking it up and driving there.
Yes. It's one of the reasons I often ask if people live near a MC. If you intend to overclock, you may want to step up and spend an extra $20-30 for a better board as the free/$10 rebate ones are not that great. Alternatively, if I'm not mistaken, you can also get $40 off any other board of your choice instead of going with the standard bundles.

Wallach

My first typing test on the HHKB was 124 WPM. So smooooth.

Though I'm still getting some ` instead of hitting Delete, that seems like the biggest thing that will be harder to adjust to. So glad Control is in the proper place though, Caps Lock begone.

Smokey

Zuhzuhzombie!! said:
I have a i5 2400, 6 gigs ram, and an ATi 5770. What are my prospects of playing Battlefield 3 with the pretties turned all the way up?

Max? Probably not with that graphics card.

Pretty still? Yes.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I was wondering where the I need a New PC! thread went in my Subscriptions.

This may be slightly off topic, but what does everyone here use to view their .gif files? Internet Explorer the default choice in Windows 7 is absolute shit it seems.

I'd also would be interested to learn what applications other people use for viewing images.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Trojita said:
I was wondering where the I need a New PC! thread went in my Subscriptions.

This may be slightly off topic, but what does everyone here use to view their .gif files? Internet Explorer the default choice in Windows 7 is absolute shit it seems.

I'd also would be interested to learn what applications other people use for viewing images.
Irfanview works well. Has some simple editing/resizing and useful batch processing functions as a bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom