• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Corky said:
Well not you personally but just in general, how much of a hassle / difference it would be to have someone send something from US to Sweden because as I'm getting deeper and deeper into the whole "gotta buy cool pc parts" stuff I'm realizing that it's waaaay too expensive compared to you guys.
its feaseable. id do it just to save a few dollars.
the only issue is finding a gaffer you trust.

Septimius said:
Gigabyte GTX 570 SOC.

You're welcome.
fantastic, i'll look into it.
thanks bro.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
viakado said:
its feaseable. id do it just to save a few dollars.
the only issue is finding a gaffer you trust.

fantastic, i'll look into it.
thanks bro.

Also keep in mind that these "SOC" or superoverclocked cards do usually cost quite alot more ( atleast looking at my prices here ) you could always do the OC yourself.

knitoe

darkblade77 said:
I probably would have sworn to you up and down that the pins were on the die when I installed the CPU, or at least a few minutes ago I would have. I guess I was so used to AM1/2 sockets I just projected that into my memory. Maybe one or two of the pins on the motherboard itself were bent out of shape when I removed the CPU to inspect it, but I definitely fiddled around more than that under the opposite premise.

Anyway, since the damage is done I'll try to attempt moving them back to where they were and see if I get anything out of it. Being down a motherboard isn't as bad as losing both, so I'm not nearly as upset about the whole thing as I was a few minutes ago.

Although I do feel pretty damn foolish!

EDIT: For reference, the manual for the motherboard and the CPU say pretty much nothing about installation outside of "line up here", "place object here", etc. Pins aren't even mentioned. The CPU manual is largely a picture book. I know well enough to not touch the underside of the die or the pins under normal circumstances, although I'm not debating that I handled this like a moron.
Intel CPUs don't have pins. Instead, they are on the MB socket. Thus, makes it harder to damage the CPU. Look at the socket and see if there are any pins bent and/or not lineup like the rest.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Hello PC GAF,

I have an ASRock P67 Extreme4, as well as a 64GB SSD and a 2TB Samsung HDD. I also have the N570GTX.

I have two problems:

I installed Windows 7 on the SSD. Now I have the 2TB HDD connected via SATA, but it won't show up as a drive. I can see it in Disk Management, but it shows up as 1862.89 GB unallocated, and my only options are to switch it to and from MBR and GPT. I've done those multiple times and restarted each time. But it never shows up as a real drive, and it never gives me the option to assign it a drive letter in Disk Management.

Additonally, I have a Black Magic Intensity Pro (PCI-E) installed. It shows up in Device Manager, but with an error: "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12) If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system." I found this on a Microsoft page: "This error can occur if two devices that are installed on your computer have been assigned the same I/O ports, the same interrupt, or the same Direct Memory Access channel (either by the BIOS, the operating system, or both)." So it sounds like my BIOS did something wrong, but I don't know how to fix that.

I was hoping some of you have run and overcome these problems since my setup is the same as one in the OP. Can anyone help?

So this is my first build and I need some hardware help...

First of all specs:
i5 2500k /w hyper 212+
MSI P67A-43 (B3)
Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB Windforce
Corsair 650TXv2
G.SKILL 8gb ram
WD 750GB HDD

So I built it tonight and it worked fine. I installed Windows 7 and some games. It was fine for like 5 hours. Then in the middle of playing Stalker COP, it shutdown spontaneously and wouldn't turn back on.
So, next I removed everything and reapplied the thermal paste thinking I did a bad job on applying the thermal paste. So then I just reconnected the PSU to the mobo with the CPU/RAM/HDD/fans connected and that worked fine. But when I plug in the GPU it just starts for 1 second and then shuts off and won't turn back on. If I disconnect the GPU and then plug it back in a few minutes later it'll do the same 1sec turn on/turn off. If I take the GPU out, the motherboard will post - fans work, lights up, DVD drive works.
So at this point I don't know if the PSU just isn't giving enough power or the GPU is bad now.

What do you guys think?

Mad Hatter said:
So this is my first build and I need some hardware help...

First of all specs:
i5 2500k /w hyper 212+
MSI P67A-43 (B3)
Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB Windforce
Corsair 650TXv2
G.SKILL 8gb ram
WD 750GB HDD

So I built it tonight and it worked fine. I installed Windows 7 and some games. It was fine for like 5 hours. Then in the middle of playing Stalker COP, it shutdown spontaneously and wouldn't turn back on.
So, next I removed everything and reapplied the thermal paste thinking I did a bad job on applying the thermal paste. So then I just reconnected the PSU to the mobo with the CPU/RAM/HDD/fans connected and that worked fine. But when I plug in the GPU it just starts for 1 second and then shuts off and won't turn back on. If I disconnect the GPU and then plug it back in a few minutes later it'll do the same 1sec turn on/turn off. If I take the GPU out, the motherboard will post - fans work, lights up, DVD drive works.
So at this point I don't know if the PSU just isn't giving enough power or the GPU is bad now.

What do you guys think?

Not an expert, but a 650W PSU should be enough. You checked all the connections?

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
Not an expert, but a 650W PSU should be enough. You checked all the connections?

I did, I've been going over every connection...
If I turn it on without the GPU it'll power up successfully and give me 2 short beeps and 5 long beeps. I can't find any beep code list for my motherboard though.

LabouredSubterfuge said:
A question for those with GTX 580's:

What are you overclocking to?

I'm currently on 840/1680/2200 on a 1.125 vCore.

I'm going to try to get my MSI Lightning to 950. Don't know about shader and memory yet.

Bendz

Banned
Mad Hatter said:
I did, I've been going over every connection...
If I turn it on without the GPU it'll power up successfully and give me 2 short beeps and 5 long beeps. I can't find any beep code list for my motherboard though.

Hmm. 5 beeps is normally a CPU error, but I don't know what the other 2 beeps are about - sometimes 2 beeps is just to flag an error, followed by more beeps to tell you what the actual error is.

Kyaw

Hey guys, i've been having a problem with locking up at startup as soon as logged on with my PC.

It's only been two times for the past two days and it's completely fine after a reboot.

I have a suspicion it's one of my startup items/softwares. It has happened before but haven't had it for quite a while.

What does GAF think?

Wazzim

Banned
Kyaw said:
Hey guys, i've been having a problem with locking up at startup as soon as logged on with my PC.

It's only been two times for the past two days and it's completely fine after a reboot.

I have a suspicion it's one of my startup items/softwares. It has happened before but haven't had it for quite a while.

What does GAF think?
Use a restore point and look if it it locks up again.

Beardz

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Beardz said:
Last weekend I build my first rig ever, these are the specs:

Mother: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition 3.2GHz
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922
Video Card: Radeon 6850
CPU FAN: V6 GT
Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000w
HDD: OCZ Vertex 2 120GB and a Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM
8GB RAM

Building my rig for the first time was a great learning experience, so what do you think GAF, can I consider myself part of the master race?

I also recently built my first PC (same video card, too!), so I'm curious to hear how your process went. Was it smooth or did you encounter any difficulties?

jarosh

guys... i need your help. i'm having a weird problem with my gaming pc that i built a couple of months ago: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29378338&postcount=5260

specs:
CASE: Silverstone HTPC GD05 Black
CPU: i5 2500k
CPU COOLER: Scythe Big Shuriken
MOBO: Asus P8P67-M PRO (B3)
SSD: Intel SSD 510 Series 120GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
OPTICAL: Asus DRW-24B3LT
RAM: Kingston HyperX, 8 GB (2x4GB), DDR3-1600
PSU: Seasonic X-560
GPU: GTX-260, 896 MB

all of a sudden, while watching a dvd on it yesterday, the system crashed and restarted. there was no blue screen and no memory dump. once it was booting up again, it initially only got to the windows logo, then crashed again and restarted. i was asked to do a repair/system restore, which i did. the computer then booted up fine again. windows did not report any errors or problems once i was logged on, there were no mini dump files or anything. it was like it never happened.

but half an hour later the same thing happened again, while the computer was just idling, with nothing open. and this has been happening ever since. sometimes after 10 minutes, sometimes after 1 hour. but i haven't been playing any games or doing anything but browsing or watching dvds on it for at least 2 weeks. often the crashes happen when the system is idling. the machine is just resetting out of nowhere and then rebooting for no obvious reason. and once it's back up, there is no indication of it ever happening, no memory dumps, no error reports, nothing. basically, the computer is useless in this state.

a few important things to note:

- temperatures of all my components are very low at the time of the "crashes", everything is idling, no overheating
- ran an extensive mem check: ram is ok
- have updated gpu drivers (they were only a few weeks old), didn't change anything
- again, there are no memory dumps and no blue screens
- i have no viruses or spyware (already checked extensively)
- there are very few things installed on this machine (steam, buncha games, browser, mse) and i've never had a single problem or crash with it before this, it is blazingly fast and clean apart from this issue

could it be the power supply? i honestly don't know what else it could be at this point. it's a frickin' GOOD psu though and the last part i would have excpected to fail on me. or is it possible that a faulty gpu could cause a crash that DOESN'T produce a blue screen and memory dump? i've personally never experienced that. i've never had a faulty cpu before, so no idea how that would present itself...

Marco1

jarosh said:
guys... i need your help. i'm having a weird problem with my gaming pc that i built a couple of months ago: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29378338&postcount=5260

all of a sudden, while watching a dvd on it yesterday, the system crashed and restarted. there was no blue screen and no memory dump. once it was booting up again, it initially only got to the windows logo, then crashed again and restarted. i was asked to do a repair/system restore, which i did. the computer then booted up fine again. windows did not report any errors or problems once i was logged on, there were no mini dump files or anything. it was like it never happened.

but half an hour later the same thing happened again, while the computer was just idling, with nothing open. and this has been happening ever since. sometimes after 10 minutes, sometimes after 1 hour. but i haven't been playing any games or doing anything but browsing or watching dvds on it for at least 2 weeks. often the crashes happen when the system is idling. the machine is just resetting out of nowhere and then rebooting for no obvious reason. and once it's back up, there is no indication of it ever happening, no memory dumps, no error reports, nothing. basically, the computer is useless in this state.

- temperatures of all my components are very low at the time of the "crashes", everything is idling, no overheating
- have updated gpu drivers (they were only a few weeks old), didn't change anything
- there are very few things installed on this machine (steam, buncha games, browser, mse) and i've never had a single problem or crash with it before this, it is blazingly fast and clean apart from this issue

could it be the power supply? i honestly don't know what else it could be at this point. it's a frickin' GOOD psu though and the last part i would have excpected to fail on me. or is it possible that a faulty gpu could cause a crash that DOESN'T produce a blue screen and memory dump? i've personally never experienced that. i've never had a faulty cpu before, so no idea how that would present itself...

Jarosh check the connections on your PC, PSU and also the lead from PSU to power socket is pushed in. It would amaze you the amount of people that move a PC and forget to check it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
jarosh said:

GPU failure should cause a bluescreen in Windows. I doubt that's it. CPU, PSU, or motherboard are the likely suspects if it is a hardware fault. (Edit: And CPU failure isn't all that likely either. When my old one died I couldn't even POST, much less get to a point where it was crashing/rebooting. Might try running Prime or OCCT and see if they report errors, but that's probably not it.)

Not sure what to tell you other than what Marco1 already said. Without any specific errors or anything it's hard to pinpoint anything.

I guess it could also be a short, not sure how it would just appear out of nowhere.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
LabouredSubterfuge said:
Is there any program I can use to test my GPU for problems?
What kind of problems? There are stress tests (Furmark, OCCT) and they will display artifacts in the case of problems (OCCT also has an option for error checking, not sure about Furmark).

n0n44m

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Is there any program I can use to test my GPU for problems?

for overclocking? run Unigine Heaven for stability

furmark is for the real hardcore (heavier than realistic normal usage) testing, but with the GTX5** series and their artificial software limiters that has become even less useful

Marco1 said:
Anyone into watercooling, I can't recommend one of these reservoirs enough:
http://www.dangerden.com/store/pump-bay-reservoirs/
They are expensive but you really do get what you pay for here.

aren't these like a year old by now? My EK Spinbay does a nice job at half the price, but they don't integrate the pump like these do. Would be my 1st choice for a next build if I'd use a D5 pump though, pumps are hard to place :p

chaosblade said:
What kind of problems? There are stress tests (Furmark, OCCT) and they will display artifacts in the case of problems (OCCT also has an option for error checking, not sure about Furmark).

I'm getting random BSOD's and I've had my mobo, CPU, RAM and HDD's tested. So I want to check if it's my GPU.

n0n44m

jarosh said:

check the reset button first ;) seems like a hardware issue. GPU is most suspect because it's the oldest component

to test components:

memory: memtest86+
cpu/motherboard/memory channels: Prime95 Blend -> custom with ~6000 ram
harddrive: HD Tune Pro trial? check for SMART errors ofcourse
gpu: unigine heaven or something similarly heavy

however the lack of blue screens indicate that there might be a serious hardware issue; i.e. the hardware doesn't produce "faulty" data which causes bluescreens, but just suddenly malfunctions and brings the entire motherboard to a halt

(If you have any other hardware lying around you can try swapping the GPU or installing Windows on another HDD quickly to test/rule out some stuff)

LabouredSubterfuge said:
I'm getting random BSOD's and I've had my mobo, CPU, RAM and HDD's tested. So I want to check if it's my GPU.

when do they occur? if a GPU malfunctions under load (e.g. due to overclocking) the display drivers should reset these days, blue screens indicate something a lot more serious

also your cpu isnt overclocked?

Beardz

MrOogieBoogie said:
I also recently built my first PC (same video card, too!), so I'm curious to hear how your process went. Was it smooth or did you encounter any difficulties?

It was a very smooth process really, I had my doubts when I was applying the thermal paste but everything went fine.

What about you?

Reallink

jarosh said:

specs:
CASE: Silverstone HTPC GD05 Black
CPU: i5 2500k
CPU COOLER: Scythe Big Shuriken
MOBO: Asus P8P67-M PRO (B3)
SSD: Intel SSD 510 Series 120GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
OPTICAL: Asus DRW-24B3LT
RAM: Kingston HyperX, 8 GB (2x4GB), DDR3-1600
PSU: Seasonic X-560
GPU: GTX-260, 896 MB

LabouredSubterfuge said:

Not sure if it's what you guys are experiencing, but Nvidia have royally fucked up their latest 280.26 and 285.27 drivers. Most people are experiencing random black screens followed by a recovery error message, but some report restarts, refusal to boot, etc...

JackEtc

LordCanti said:
Go with a dual slot from EVGA or MSI (I know the one you linked is dual slot; I mean one with a custom cooler instead of stock), or else a three slot from Asus for the same amount. If you want to keep it nearer $300, the stock EVGA card should be closer (and it will OC the same as the one you linked).

Edit: Looking at the pricing on 570's currently, I'm surprised that they have retained their value for so long. I've seen GTX 580's down closer to $400 (with huge rebates sure, but still) yet I can't find a 570 for under $300. I'm guessing that is because the 560ti squeezes in too closely in price on the other side (with the 560 too close to allow them to drop the 560ti) but still. I wonder if Nvidia is waiting for ATI to make a move.
Hm....any specific cards you can think of?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Is it weird that ever since building my PC a week ago I've had HWMonitor running all the time? It's my first build so I guess I'm a bit anal about making sure that everything is in working order. But it's especially helpful during gaming, as I'll leave it on in the background, and when I'm done playing I'll quickly look at it to see my low temps before booting the game and my max temps after playing it. I think the hottest my video card has gotten is 67 degrees, and that was after playing Deus Ex and The Witcher 2. CPU has never exceeded 55.

CPU: i3-2100
GPU - Radeon HD 6850

knitoe said:
Intel CPUs don't have pins. Instead, they are on the MB socket. Thus, makes it harder to damage the CPU. Look at the socket and see if there are any pins bent and/or not lineup like the rest.

Yeah, I understand that now. It doesn't look like I can feasibly put the MB socket pins back the way they were without accidentally twisting them off or breaking them with the tools I have, so I'll probably be eating the loss.

I haven't made a mistake this expensive and this stupid in a while. Maybe in a few years I can tell this story to my kids(and they can call me a neeeeerrrd while they play Gears VIII).

knitoe

MrOogieBoogie said:
Is it weird that ever since building my PC a week ago I've had HWMonitor running all the time? It's my first build so I guess I'm a bit anal about making sure that everything is in working order. But it's especially helpful during gaming, as I'll leave it on in the background, and when I'm done playing I'll quickly look at it to see my low temps before booting the game and my max temps after playing it. I think the hottest my video card has gotten is 67 degrees, and that was after playing Deus Ex and The Witcher 2. CPU has never exceeded 55.

CPU: i3-2100
GPU - Radeon HD 6850
Depending on the game and it's settings, may not be pushing the video card. Instead, run benchmark/stress tests, 3Dmark11, Heaven, Furmark and etc.

darkblade77 said:
Yeah, I understand that now. It doesn't look like I can feasibly put the MB socket pins back the way they were without accidentally twisting them off or breaking them with the tools I have, so I'll probably be eating the loss.

I haven't made a mistake this expensive and this stupid in a while. Maybe in a few years I can tell this story to my kids(and they can call me a neeeeerrrd while they play Gears VIII).
The MB is probably damage, but the CPU should be OK. Try to play dumb and RMA the MB. Otherwise, yeah, you will have to get a new MB.

Heysoos

Alright, so here is the build I had in mind:

Intel i5 2500k

ASUS P8Z68-V LE
EVGA GTX 460
XFX 550W Power Supply
G Skill 2x4 Ram
2TB Samsung F4
Asus 24x DVD Burner
CM Hyper 212
CM HAF 912
Total is $841.

Mainly plan to use it for Battlefield 3 and SWTOR. 1920x1080p. Don't necessarily need to completely max everything but as long as it plays on high at a steady 30fps plus, that's good enough for me. :)

Does it look good? I'm not 100% sure if the ram is compatible with the motherboard, so if someone can let me know that would be awesome. Anything else I should add? Is the case big enough? Wasn't looking to spend more than 750 or so, but I'd figure this would last me a bit longer. I'll probably be able to upgrade the GPU sometime before next summer too, so I went with something cheap for now. Thoughts, comments, suggestions? Thanks. :)

I feel that if you want to run BF3 decently, without issues on release day, go with something in the 500 line.

Heysoos said:
Alright, so here is the build I had in mind:

Intel i5 2500k

ASUS P8Z68-V LE
EVGA GTX 460
XFX 550W Power Supply
G Skill 2x4 Ram
2TB Samsung F4
Asus 24x DVD Burner
CM Hyper 212
CM HAF 912
Total is $841.

Mainly plan to use it for Battlefield 3 and SWTOR. 1920x1080p. Don't necessarily need to completely max everything but as long as it plays on high at a steady 30fps plus, that's good enough for me. :)

Does it look good? I'm not 100% sure if the ram is compatible with the motherboard, so if someone can let me know that would be awesome. Anything else I should add? Is the case big enough? Wasn't looking to spend more than 750 or so, but I'd figure this would last me a bit longer. I'll probably be able to upgrade the GPU sometime before next summer too, so I went with something cheap for now. Thoughts, comments, suggestions? Thanks. :)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Don't get the LE motherboard, I'm pretty sure that one is gimped. And yeah, you might want a beefier GPU for BF3 at those settings.

I'd recommend the 1TB F3 in your case too. F4 is fast enough, but it's a green drive and probably parks it's head more often so it may not last as long.

Heysoos

The Teachinator said:
I feel that if you want to run BF3 decently, without issues on release day, go with something in the 500 line.

That would probably put me well above 900, as it is, I'm basically over 100 my initial budget. :) The reason I went with the 460 was because my cousin has that card with an AMD processor, don't quite know which one, and ran the Alpha really well on 1080. Obviously, it was not the completely game and it was missing things, but if I have to drop some settings that's fine with me. I'll probably be able to spend another 300 or so before next year's summer, so I kinda went with that in mind when building this.

chaosblade said:
Don't get the LE motherboard, I'm pretty sure that one is gimped. And yeah, you might want a beefier GPU for BF3 at those settings.

I'd recommend the 1TB F3 in your case too. F4 is fast enough, but it's a green drive and probably parks it's head more often so it may not last as long.

Roger that, do you have any motherboard suggestions? :) And like I said, I'll be able to buy a better GPU later on, which is why I went with this.

Hawk269

Giriath_89 said:
I'm going to try to get my MSI Lightning to 950. Don't know about shader and memory yet.

Well when you increase the core clock, the shader clock increases with it. So I would leave the shader clock to whatever it automatically goes to when you increase the core. I am in a SLI configuration and I topped out at the following:

Core: 932 Mhz
Shader: 1864Mhz
Memory: 2250Mhz
Core Voltage: 1.143

I also did a very slight memory voltage tweak, but cant remember. I think I just slid the slider +10.

My max temps has hit 79c on the top card. That was after 1 1/2 hours of Unigine running followed by 2-3 runs of 3DMark, followed by Metro2033 benchmark. Everything is stable and working fantastic. I am most impressed with the speed vs. heat. 79c for an SLI setup at 99% GPU usage is pretty fantastic. My 2nd card maxed out at 69c.

Hawk269

Corky said:
Well not you personally but just in general, how much of a hassle / difference it would be to have someone send something from US to Sweden because as I'm getting deeper and deeper into the whole "gotta buy cool pc parts" stuff I'm realizing that it's waaaay too expensive compared to you guys.

Corky...are you looking to get 580's? I just picked up 2 580 3gb Lightning's and total price with shipping and tax was $1280 or so. Much lower than the $1500 you mentioned.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hawk269 said:
Corky...are you looking to get 580's? I just picked up 2 580 3gb Lightning's and total price with shipping and tax was $1280 or so. Much lower than the $1500 you mentioned.

pm'd

<3

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Heysoos said:
Hm. If I switch to the Biostar Motherboard I'd be able to switch to the 560Ti and still keep it under 900. Question is, does it fit in the HAF 912??
Without checking, 912 has a removable HDD bay right? You should be able to fit any GPU in there.

But with the 560Ti specifically, it's not that big of a card and the 912 is a roomy case regardless.

Heysoos

chaosblade said:
Without checking, 912 has a removable HDD bay right? You should be able to fit any GPU in there.

But with the 560Ti specifically, it's not that big of a card and the 912 is a roomy case regardless.
Great! Thanks! :) Pulled the trigger on it! Hopefully everything turns out well.

punkypine

ugh i CANNOT get AMD vision engine control center to open... i uninstalled all the drivers, did driver sweeper, reinstalled them, still wont work. this is extremely frustrating, i would like to be able to adjust my settings when battlefield comes out

Specs:
i5 2500K CPU
Windows 7 OS
EVGA GTX570 SC
8GB RAM

Finished my machine for real this time lol

6156293121_025ba7b478_z.jpg

Now I have been enjoying it this month, I am looking to overclock... at least to try it...

But a little intimidated as I am still new to all of this.... I built the machine myself but man it was not easy understanding everything lol.

Marco1

SnakeSlashRO said:
Specs:
i5 2500K CPU
Windows 7 OS
EVGA GTX570 SC
8GB RAM

Finished my machine for real this time lol

Now I have been enjoying it this month, I am looking to overclock... at least to try it...

But a little intimidated as I am still new to all of this.... I built the machine myself but man it was not easy understanding everything lol.

Snake you should add another fan on the other side of you cpu cooler for a push /pull configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom