• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
If you can spare it, get a Z68 board and a 6870. Much better to have down the line when you pop in a nice Ivy Bridge quad to overclock to 4.4GHz+ and new 28nm GPU.

I'm looking at building something in the $5-600 range. I'm running down the list in the OP, just wondering if there are any changes people have to suggest?

Your post inspired me to check out the OP again and the OP inspired me to look into hard drive prices. I knew that the hard drive prices hadn't come back down yet but it's been a while since I checked. I cannot believe a 1 TB SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 is $160 on Newegg.

1-D_FTW

Your post inspired me to check out the OP again and the OP inspired me to look into hard drive prices. I knew that the hard drive prices hadn't come back down yet but it's been a while since I checked. I cannot believe a 1 TB SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 is $160 on Newegg.

Bought that exact hard drive on Dec 15, 2010 for 44.99 with an instant coupon code and free shipping:(

Got enough to get the Excellent build minus the videocard, which I'm waiting to see whether I get a 7970 or one of the new Nvidia cards. I don't have my PS3 and I'm tempted to get another one but the money I spend on that can be going to my videocard.

I got to stay strong and look at hi-res PC shots to keep my eye on the prize. BTW all the ATI Radeon driver issues are a little exaggerated right? I mean if I play in 1920x1080 with some basic extras I should be fine. I'm not very particular on graphics as long as it runs smooth.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Got enough to get the Excellent build minus the videocard, which I'm waiting to see whether I get a 7970 or one of the new Nvidia cards. I don't have my PS3 and I'm tempted to get another one but the money I spend on that can be going to my videocard.

I got to stay strong and look at hi-res PC shots to keep my eye on the prize. BTW all the ATI Radeon driver issues are a little exaggerated right? I mean if I play in 1920x1080 with some basic extras I should be fine. I'm not very particular on graphics as long as it runs smooth.
Single card stuff from both parties is very good.

AMD sometimes will have not great Day 1 support for some game launches. And in my enthusiast tinkering nVidia is a bit better for that stuff. AMD cards get bitcoin, nVidia gets physX.

scitek

I'm happy with my 6950.

Uncle AJ

It doesn't make sense that one is and one isn't. The page probably just isn't updated.
You should give them a call. Sorry for the confusion.

As long as it performs I'll be happy, if it turns out to be ineligible for step-up its no biggie. I've run into some circumstances that are accelerating my plans for building a new machine so just want to get it up and running ASAP.

r4z4

As you said, I'd wait a month to see the new mid-range for sure.
Samsung should have that 500GB drive in 7200RPM if its not much more as well.

Thanks. Anything else on the horizon worth considering? Otherwise I'm going to hang around for the new graphics cards, give it a couple of weeks for the world (gaf) to give it's verdict and jump in.

Is this noise coming from my PSU normal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qday9v5Nz3c

If you turn up the volume you should hear a noise that sounds like a hard drive moving, but it's coming from the PSU. It makes the noise while idling, and I've verified that there isn't anything stick inside one of the holes that might be blocking the fan. I'm assuming that this isn't normal and that I'll need to order a replacement, but I just want to make sure.

Draft

32GB RAM max vs 16GB

Lucid Virtu Technology

Bio-Remote2 for HTPC concept

Charger Boost for iPhone/iPAD Charger by PC

Or something.
Thanks. I couldn't find any of that stuff.

This board is recommended in the OP because it can handle the i3, i5 and i7?

The Hermit

I am just waiting for the GK104, so I can decide if I buy that or the AMD equivalent (7950). The rest is already decided :

CPU: i5 2500k
MB: ASUS P8P67 REV 3.0
RAM: 8GB
Power Suply: Corsair 550W
Heatsink
Xonar Sound Card

Is this noise coming from my PSU normal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qday9v5Nz3c

If you turn up the volume you should hear a noise that sounds like a hard drive moving, but it's coming from the PSU. It makes the noise while idling, and I've verified that there isn't anything stick inside one of the holes that might be blocking the fan. I'm assuming that this isn't normal and that I'll need to order a replacement, but I just want to make sure.

I have a 600watt GS from Corsair and it is almost silent. Send it back. It sounds like a bearing has a flat spot or the fan is hitting something.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Thanks. I couldn't find any of that stuff.

This board is recommended in the OP because it can handle the i3, i5 and i7?
Any 1155 board can use all of them. It's just a nice budget board that can OC.
I am just waiting for the GK104, so I can decide if I buy that or the AMD equivalent (7950). The rest is already decided :

CPU: i5 2500k
MB: ASUS P8P67 REV 3.0
RAM: 8GB
Power Suply: Corsair 550W
Heatsink
Xonar Sound Card
Why a regular P8P67 instead of one of the Z68 boards?

Fjolle

Urgh. So i built a PC with whatever is written in the OP.

But apparently i missed that Bitfenix put a blue power LED in the case that is able to light up half my apartment :( I guess that i will do without power/hdd LEDs.

Also, is there any use for cable sorting, other than aesthetics?

Mikeside

What company makes the best case fans?

I'm going to be replacing my h80 radiator fans with Scythe Gentle Typhoons and putting a 200mm BitFenix Spectre Pro on the top of my case as an exhaust - lots of research has led me to the conclusion that these are absolutely the best 2 fans I can get for those purposes - hope that helps?

Urgh. So i built a PC with whatever is written in the OP.

But apparently i missed that Bitfenix put a blue power LED in the case that is able to light up half my apartment :( I guess that i will do without power/hdd LEDs.

Also, is there any use for cable sorting, other than aesthetics?

Tidy cables MASSIVELY helps with airflow and keeping things cool -get those cables tidied and out of the way of your airflow/away from hot components like CPU, RAM, GPU

Fjolle

Tidy cables MASSIVELY helps with airflow and keeping things cool -get those cables tidied and out of the way of your airflow/away from hot components like CPU, RAM, GPU

It's not like they obstruct the air flow. They're just not tied down etc. like mkenyon for example.. I guess that i'll be fine after i have killed the LEDs.

Mikeside

It's not like they obstruct the air flow. They're just not tied down etc. like mkenyon for example.. I guess that i'll be fine after i have killed the LEDs.

take a picture of the inside and post it - I think you'd be surprised how obstructive a few cables can be and how helpful a tidy case can be when it comes to knocking a few degrees off of your temps

I'm using the BitFenix Raider case and it's tiny compared to my old HAF 932 so I've had to be completely on top of my cabling to avoid it becoming an oven, especially as I've filled it to the brim with HDDs, cards and cables.

Speaking of which, I could do with a bit of advice, GAF

Got the BitFenix Raider case. It has 2x120mm fans on the front - I'm using those for intake
It had an exhaust on the back, but I've had to swap that out for another intake because I need it for the radiator on my H80

I'm using the 120mm fan from the back on the bottom of the case as an exhaust for now and am planning to put a 200mm BitFenix Spectre Pro exhaust on the top - should this be good enough for my cooling? Will I still need the 120mm on the bottom of the case, or is a 200mm on top gonna be enough?

ParityBit

So I am in the process of researching a new machine and I was wondering if there were any good (and fairly simple) water cooled solutions rather than the usual air cooling. This would be my first water cooled build IF I were to go that direction.

That is assuming that it is worth it overall :) I need to replace my core 2 duo rig this year for D3 and GW2!

Isaccard

So I am in the process of researching a new machine and I was wondering if there were any good (and fairly simple) water cooled solutions rather than the usual air cooling. This would be my first water cooled build IF I were to go that direction.

That is assuming that it is worth it overall :) I need to replace my core 2 duo rig this year for D3 and GW2!

I see the Corsair H series recommended quite a bit for water cooling.

1-D_FTW

So would installing a 32GB flash thumb drive actually do anything? Would this be like a ghetto hybrid drive? How about if you made your Windows paging file on it?

You can get 32GB for 20 bucks. And if there was actually some benefit, I'd do it.

FoolsRun

So would installing a 32GB flash thumb drive actually do anything? Would this be like a ghetto hybrid drive? How about if you made your Windows paging file on it?

You'll see quite a difference in performance, but not in the way that you want.

USB flash drives are generally very slow. Try copying a large file from one hard disk to another. Then try copying it to a flash drive. There's a reason the drives are so cheap.

1-D_FTW

You'll see quite a difference in performance, but not in the way that you want.

USB flash drives are generally very slow. Try copying a large file from one hard disk to another. Then try copying it to a flash drive. There's a reason the drives are so cheap.

Figured as much. Oh well. Maybe USB3 will be faster in the future.

McHuj

I just installed a Crucial M4 SSD 64GB. Highly recommended. I love the fast boot up time and how quickly apps open. I just wish it was bigger so I could fit some games on it.

Jibbed

I just installed a Crucial M4 SSD 64GB. Highly recommended. I love the fast boot up time and how quickly apps open. I just wish it was bigger so I could fit some games on it.

I've got the 128GB one, and I still struggle for space. I desperately need a HDD or something in my system... I'm assuming you already do with an SSD that small.

Guys I need help, I have the h100 for my 650d, I bought 3 gentle typhoon fans 1 for the back and 2 for the radiator, are the radiator fans supposed to blow into the radiator from below? and should I use the exhaust fan to intake air instead? these h100 screws seem like they dont fit the rad either ugh

McHuj

I've got the 128GB one, and I still struggle for space. I desperately need a HDD or something in my system... I'm assuming you already do with an SSD that small.

Yeah, I have a 1 TB Spinpoint F3. I thought that drive was fast compared to my prior old 7200 rpm drive. But the SSD really blows it away.

Mikeside

I have a Corsair H80 and it's very simple - install the main bit over your CPU (exactly like a heatsync) then attach the fans to each side of the radiator and mount it in your case - couldn't be easier

I will say that the fans on the radiator are pretty loud - I've been doing a lot of research on the best thing to do to sort this and it's pretty unanimous that replacing the 2 stock fans with Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850s is the way to go.

scogoth

Big air cooler are cheaper and perform the same as most integrated water cooling solutions. The integrated coolers are quieter, easy to manage and install but slightly more expensive.

If you want to go for max preformance then go custom water cooling which is much for work, much quieter, much more expensive and more for fun then practicality.

Guys I need help, I have the h100 for my 650d, I bought 3 gentle typhoon fans 1 for the back and 2 for the radiator, are the radiator fans supposed to blow into the radiator from below? and should I use the exhaust fan to intake air instead? these h100 screws seem like they dont fit the rad either ugh

Push or pull configuration doesn't make much of a difference on the rad, but what will is where the air is coming from. I would make the fans pull fresh air as an intake on the radiator and the back fan as an exhaust. Also make us you have some front fans to create airflow inside the case for the RAM and chipsets.

docbon

toot.

2a0ab537d403892947577ef310dd689a9b66d462.png

but when you add it to the cart it's $320 after the promo code. ($10 less than the i5 2600k)

mistake?? who knows. Enjoy~

edit: newegg.com, sorry scogoth

mkenyon

Banned

I'm assuming you don't mean the closed systems like the Corsair Hydro. If you do, know that you are paying a lot more for something that a less expensive air cooler can do. The trade off is in better control of airflow and cleaner aesthetics.

If you don't mean that, then there is no better way to start than the XSPC Rasa kits. Add some primochill 7/16" ID tubing, and you've got yourself a great setup. Your case situation would dictate between the RS240 (thin 240x120mm rad), RX240 (thick 240x120mm rad), RS360 (360x120), and RX360.

This Overclock.net thread is extremely informative and helpful.

Here's the RS240 kit installed in my Arc Mini. (Shameless showoff and self plug pic)
4LOIGl.jpg

The temps are much better than the H100, while the kit is only $10 more. I run my 2500K @ 5.0Ghz 24/7 with this installed, max average temp no higher than 58-65C depending on ambients. At comfortable room temperature, max is 62C.

It's a lot more hassle than the H100 though, and more of an intro into the world of water cooling than a final solution. If tinkering and building is fun for you, you'll soon be adding GPU waterblocks and a second radiator.

Hey guys, I was wondering if my CPU is bottle-necking my GPU. And if it is, would THIS be a better replacement.

GPU: GTX 460 v2
CPU: AMD Athlon II x4 640

Also, what does that v2 on my GPU mean?
Question 1: Probably not. Some games like a beefier CPU though.
Question 2: Not certain, but this thread has some answers, some conflicting.

My Intel 320 120GB SSD with Windows 7 installed was booting perfectly until yesterday when it started pausing at the "Starting Windows" logo for about 30 seconds before booting. I'm looking into the problem myself but does anyone immediately know what might be the problem or what steps I should take? Motherboard is ASRock P67 Extreme 4 Gen3, OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

EDIT: Well it seems to be a problem related to the two 3TB Seagate Barracuda drives that I just added because when I disconnect their power cables it doesn't freeze. I disabled them from being possible boot drives in the BIOS but that doesn't fix anything. Any ideas?

psykomyko

So I am looking to build my first PC. First time trying to find the best build, used the build list as a help.

Graphics card: EVGA GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB
Sound Card: ASUS XONAR DG 5.1
Power supply: Antec BP550 Plus 550W
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB)
DVD Burner: ASUS 24X DVD Burner
Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB
Monitor: ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24"

Is this a pretty good build? I'm not sure how that graphics card is for the price.

Quick queston.

Is there a card more powerful than the GTX 240 that doesn't require additional power connections?

I would like to stick a graphics card into my PC since my Playstation broke and cannot afford to replace it.

*cross-posting this from the skyrim performance thread*

so over the weekend i overclocked my i2500k to 4.2 using AI Suite II's "level up" auto tuning thing.

everything went fine but my frame rate in skyrim dropped a good 7-10fps indoors/cities and 10-12 outdoors. i read a thread online that said this could have meant an unstable overclock as a result of power. i've got a 700W psu and the following:

i2500k w/ 212 Hypercooler HSF
GTX 550 Ti
8gb RAM
128gb SSD
Optical drive
4 case fans

is power my issue? forgive my ignorance, pretty new to the whole OC'ing thing.

Have you tried booting with one of the Seagates at a time? Could be one of them is dead.

I just tried and it only happens when drive B is connected. I'm able to add and remove data from drive B, though, and it otherwise appears to be fine. Is there anything I can do?

EDIT: I used the clean diskpart command to wipe drive B and then formatted it again. I put some data on it and now when both 3TB drives A and B are connected Windows boots without freezing. Should I be worried about this drive causing problems in the future or does it seem likely that I messed something up when I formatted it the first time (although I don't know how)?

EDIT 2: The problem seems to be related to Windows Backup. I had originally planned to set up the two 3TB drives with RAID1, but then I decided to just use drive B as the location for Windows backups. I just set drive B as the backup location again and Windows began sticking at the startup screen for an additional 60 seconds again. I again wiped the drive and it works fine. So, I guess I'll set up RAID1 after all?

I keep getting a BSOD because volmgrx.sys keeps sporadically crashing. I've tried a Windows repair which seemed to help for a while but it came back the other day. Any thoughts PC GAF?

markot

Banned
My Computer got frazzled by lightning, its an i7 920, so replacing the MB (The think thats broken I am 99.90% sure) would cost alot, so I may as well get a whole upgrade.

Should I wait for the new Intels to come out? The ones with the 3d transistors? Orrrr should I just go for an i5 2000k or whatever it is?

Also, whats a good roomy quiet case? My old one is too small for my graphics card and its super cramped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom