• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

scogoth

So in completely useless but drool worthy news OCZ is releasing the RevoDrive R4 with 16X 2581 sand force controllers, up to 16TB of storage and 6GBps (not Gbps) transfers.

I can just imagine backing up an entire game in 1-2 seconds....

mkenyon

Banned
So in completely useless but drool worthy news OCZ is releasing the RevoDrive R4 with 16X 2581 sand force controllers, up to 16TB of storage and 6GBps (not Gbps) transfers.

Would actually make a really really interesting way of making a RAMdisk be a bit more realistic. Easy way to transfer between the two.

Hmmm...........

clav

Is the base price $599 US Dollars?

clav

Definitely not. Lowest capacity is 800gb and enterprises drives are nowhere near $1/gb. Im guessing it will start in the $1500 range

I heard that enterprise admins find OCZ drives the least reliable although that may be from the whole SF controller fiasco.

Maybe the newer batch will prove otherwise.

scogoth

I heard that enterprise admins find OCZ drives the least reliable although that may be from the whole SF controller fiasco.

Maybe the newer batch will prove otherwise.

I think ssds in general have an unreliable reputation but in mass storage scenarios hdds fail a lot and the storage architecture is designed to compensate. I think once the failure rates are established and storage design changes to accommodate ssds they will work more reliably. I mean we are seeing ssds beat hdds in storage density now (for a price) so less power and cooling is required which can offset failure costs. Not to mention with the stackable pcb designs coming failure of one card will be easily replacable and cheaper than a whole card failure of todays designs.

TheExodu5

Banned
OCZ should be considered unreliable as a company. I would never advise anyone to buy their drives (coming from a Vertex 3 240GB owner).

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I'm in for the 7970. But which brand should I go? Sapphire, XFX, Gigabyte...?

I just bought a 7970 from Sapphire, it's fucking awesome

I made a step by step of what I did on my blog, 7970 pic included.
icebergisonfire.blogspot.com

Mikeside

OK GAF, my PC died so I'm taking the opportunity and building a new beast.

Let me know what you think of this build;

Case: BitFenix Raider
Graphics: MSI GeForce GTX570 OC Twin Frozr III (would love to upgrade this and get a GTX580 sub £300, but I don't see that happening)
Mobo: ASUS P8Z68-v PRO/GEN3
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80
CPU: i5 2550K
PSU: Corsair SMPSU-850AXUK 850w Modular PSU (Gold standard)
RAM: 16gb (4x4) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
HDD: 2x Seagate 1TB SATAIII ST31000524AS

I'm going to RAID 1 the TB drives to try and get a bit more performance out of them (SSD isn't really an option with the amount of data I have on my PC - I'm going to be filling the thing with my other drives in addition to these)

Nakazato

Hey guys My GF has a 785GTM-E45 Motherboard and were looking for a new Video card were looking at a 6770 or 6850. Were running to to a problem cause were not use if these cards would be to big for her MOBO.

ghostmind

It has a USB 3 Header. It's the thing between the 24 pin power connector and the RAM slots.

Thanks for the info. Think I am going with the HAF 912 for the case (don't want the giant Haf 932 Advanced or the HAF X as this is my living room gaming box), so I may need to either stick with only having USB3 in the back or going with a mobo with a breakout box, like the ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3.

OK GAF, my PC died so I'm taking the opportunity and building a new beast.

Let me know what you think of this build;

Case: BitFenix Raider
Graphics: MSI GeForce GTX570 OC Twin Frozr III (would love to upgrade this and get a GTX580 sub £300, but I don't see that happening)
Mobo: ASUS P8Z68-v PRO/GEN3
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80
CPU: i5 2550K
PSU: Corsair SMPSU-850AXUK 850w Modular PSU (Gold standard)
RAM: 16gb (4x4) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
HDD: 2x Seagate 1TB SATAIII ST31000524AS

I'm going to RAID 1 the TB drives to try and get a bit more performance out of them (SSD isn't really an option with the amount of data I have on my PC - I'm going to be filling the thing with my other drives in addition to these)

Could you tell us more about what kind of programs you are using. You can simply put all data like movies/pictures/music etc on HDD and keep software/windows/games on SDD. 1TB HDD will cost about 80-90£, getting 2TB HDD will cost 100-120£.

Mikeside

The unit is going to be populated with these 2 1tb drives in RAID1, then filled with other 1TB HDDs I already have for my music collection, movies, etc etc.

Unfortunately an SSD really isn't an option for me :(

I'm getting the 2x1TB drives for about £130 total, so that's not a worry :)

How about the rest of the build? I really just want to make sure my RAM, motherboard and graphics are all looking good.

As for programs, this is primarily a gaming PC - none of the other things I use it for are going to push it, particularly - some audio production, MS office use, HTPC stuff... all easy on everything :)

ombz

I just connected all of my fans to the motherboard and was wondering if these fan speeds look fine (I don't do any overclocking)
Capture-2.png

ghostmind

Here's my current build list. This will be a living-room/comfy couch build for gaming and HTPC functions. Feel free to comment/suggest. Prices are variable, as I will be picking up some parts from other vendors. Thanks!

COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower
$69.99 -$5.00 Instant $64.99
. .
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 ...
$329.99 $329.99
. .
ASUS P8Z68-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
$139.99 $139.99
. .
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) $94.99 -$5.00 Instant $89.99
. .
Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
$399.99 -$40.00 Instant $359.99
. .
CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850 (CMPSU-850AX) 850W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active ...
$199.99 $199.99
. .
Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 2TB 5900 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$159.99 -$40.00 Instant $119.99
. .
LG Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model UH12LS28 OEM LightScribe Support - OEM
$64.99 -$10.00 Instant $54.99
. .
EVGA 02G-P3-1568-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
$289.99 $289.99

Subtotal: $1,649.91

knitoe

Here's my current build list. This will be a living-room/comfy couch build for gaming and HTPC functions. Feel free to comment/suggest. Prices are variable, as I will be picking up some parts from other vendors. Thanks!

COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower
$69.99 -$5.00 Instant $64.99
. .
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 ...
$329.99 $329.99
. .
ASUS P8Z68-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
$139.99 $139.99
. .
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) $94.99 -$5.00 Instant $89.99
. .
Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
$399.99 -$40.00 Instant $359.99
. .
CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850 (CMPSU-850AX) 850W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active ...
$199.99 $199.99
. .
Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 2TB 5900 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$159.99 -$40.00 Instant $119.99
. .
LG Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model UH12LS28 OEM LightScribe Support - OEM
$64.99 -$10.00 Instant $54.99
. .
EVGA 02G-P3-1568-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
$289.99 $289.99

Subtotal: $1,649.91

I would get a smaller SSD and use the saved money for a ATI 7970 or GTX 580.

Guri

I just bought a 7970 from Sapphire, it's fucking awesome

I made a step by step of what I did on my blog, 7970 pic included.
icebergisonfire.blogspot.com

Thanks! And how it is different from Asus's one? Is there any advantage in one or another? Espeacially in temperature and overclock.

Xyphie

Celcius

°Temp. member
I had a spare stock Haf X 200mm black fan laying around and swapped it into the front of my 650d....soo much better. :)
Now I'd like to get one more for the top, but newegg and others only sell red or blue led 200mm fans (not the black version). Is there a store that sells stock haf X fans or should I just contact CM directly?

mkenyon

Banned
I had a spare stock Haf X 200mm black fan laying around and swapped it into the front of my 650d....soo much better. :)
Now I'd like to get one more for the top, but newegg and others only sell red or blue led 200mm fans (not the black version). Is there a store that sells stock haf X fans or should I just contact CM directly?

Check performance-pcs, frozencpu, xoxide, and coolermaster store.

demigod

So, I've had a week to get to know my Gigabyte Radeon 7970. My first thought is regret...this card should not be over $500.00, but since Nvidia is dragging their ass with Kepler (June, seriously?) AMD can do whatever they want. Still, shame on them for being so bullish.

My second thought concerns acoustics; this thing is loud as hell. So loud, in fact, I've had to resort to using headphones. Not sure why AMD couldn't design a better reference cooler. This thing is nearly as bad as the initial batches of GTX 480s.

Third thought concerns performance; I love what it can do, but I'm still feeling like the drivers are holding it back. Hoping they improve over the next month.

Sold my MSI 7970 for $540, I can't stand the fans on reference cards, they suck ass. Will wait for Kepler now and also because I want to use 3D Vision 2.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
128GB SSD
HX750
At least a 560Ti 448

Keldor

Just got done putting my PC together. Thanks Hazaro and Exodus. You guys rock! Everything went perfectly. Pics will be incoming.

I tried to cheap out on the mouse and when playing SWKOR, I realized what a piece of junk it was. I'm sitting about 14 feet away from my pc and the signal keeps dropping out. Can anyone recommend me a good gaming mouse that has good range so that I can play from my couch?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Are SSD's really worth it seriously?, even for someone like myself that leaves their machine on 24/7?, that being the case start-up times aren't really and issue and most actions within windows have been cached.

Anyone ungraded to an SSD that leaves their machine on 24/7 notice a marked improvement in windows?

Mikeside

That's the same one I'm getting

My case has 4 USB 3.0 ports on the front - I guess I can connect the USB3 header on this board for 2, then a USB2 header for the other 2? Really hoping that'll work

Can anyone confirm this?
It looks like the headers are totally different, so I'm not sure if USB3 on my case will connect to the USB2 header on my board....

scogoth

Can anyone confirm this?
It looks like the headers are totally different, so I'm not sure if USB3 on my case will connect to the USB2 header on my board....

No you cannot. What case do you have? It's interesting that they have 4 USB3 ports has only the higher end motherboards have 2 headers.

Are SSD's really worth it seriously?, even for someone like myself that leaves their machine on 24/7?, that being the case start-up times aren't really and issue and most actions within windows have been cached.

Anyone ungraded to an SSD that leaves their machine on 24/7 notice a marked improvement in windows?

I'm at the point as well. I don't turn off my PC unless updates, etc.

Prezhulio

so yesterday i got my seagate barracuda green 2TB hard drive in the mail and put it into my rig. not the fastest drive, but i was desperately running out of space.after the boot, the hard drive "beeps" several times, and but then was able to be formatted as an NTFS fine.

maybe 10 minutes later, it now intermittently will "beep" again, lose connection,and then recover and "beep" and be detected and accessible again.

i tried other SATA ports/power cables that are known to work my hard drive containing win 7, and all the ports check out fine, but the new drive keeps doing this.

haven't had much time to look into it/what i may have done wrong (which i suspect is nothing), but does it sound like i should probably just go ahead and start the RMA when i get home from work tonight?

1-D_FTW

http://www.electronista.com/articles/12/02/16/intel.rumored.delaying.ivy.bridge.production.ramp/

Intel is said to have notified partners that it will delay its production ramp for Ivy Bridge to June, with shipments starting in early April.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57...delayed-windows-8-in-september-report-claims/

So because of lousy sales in the notebook market, they're delaying mass release until after June. Wonder how many will be released in early April? And if Newegg will get them? And whether they'll have the decency to charge retail, or insert a massive markup on them?

I'd talked myself into waiting till Ivy Bridge launched and doing it right with the i5 2500k replacement. This despite the fact the cheapo method I was considering was probably smarter (since I've stopped putting my computer to sleep due to mobo issues and the fact I severely doubt a 2012 build is going to flawlessly execute next gen console ports. It hasn't been the case the last two gens and if they go too many threads, it doesn't matter how superior Ivy Bridge is, it'll have issues with sloppy ports.)

Grr. Wish I knew if there was any chance of snagging one on April 8th.

I just bought a Belkin f5d5000 Ethernet PCI card to add to my machine so I can bridge my 360 to my PC and then use a VPN for a better connection while I'm at University. The problem is the Belkin F5d5000 device isn't showing in Local Area Connections, only my on-board ethernet slot is. I've installed the drives from Belkins Support page but still no luck. I can't see the card in device manager either.

mkenyon

Banned

The difference is like dial up to broadband in general computer use. When you open something, it just opens. During the initial transition, I was a big fan of 'SSD for OS/main programs, RAID0 mechanical for games', and now have completely moved away from mechanical for anything other than media storage and dxtory recording.

FourDoor

so yesterday i got my seagate barracuda green 2TB hard drive in the mail and put it into my rig. not the fastest drive, but i was desperately running out of space.after the boot, the hard drive "beeps" several times, and but then was able to be formatted as an NTFS fine.

maybe 10 minutes later, it now intermittently will "beep" again, lose connection,and then recover and "beep" and be detected and accessible again.

i tried other SATA ports/power cables that are known to work my hard drive containing win 7, and all the ports check out fine, but the new drive keeps doing this.

haven't had much time to look into it/what i may have done wrong (which i suspect is nothing), but does it sound like i should probably just go ahead and start the RMA when i get home from work tonight?

I have 2 of those exact same Seagate drives in my media server and did not have any of those issues (I also have 4 of the older 1.5TB drives in an older machine). Sounds like an RMA is in your future.

clav

Yeah, you have that right.

RMA it.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.

I personally regret purchasing an SSD. I've had mine for about a week or so now, and sure it's faster than my other drives, but I feel it's unnecessary considering the price.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

It's nice to have, but much less so if you leave your programs open all the time.

clav

So I currently have 4GB RAM (2 of these).

Right now Newegg is having a sale on this 2 x 4GB set for $28 after MIR. Should I do it?

No. Different speeds. Mail in rebate set is slower.

Yes speeds are backwards compatible, but I wouldn't do it, especially if you overclock.

edit: I guess if you want to buy it and don't plan to use your old set, go ahead. Otherwise, you might run into some trouble having different sets.

Zzoram

so when my E8400 CPU was overclocked from 3GHz to 3.2GHz, Starcraft 2 ran great on extreme. Removing the overlock, it stutters and lags even when I reduce all the settings to low. This makes no sense!!!

What could be causing this problem? Surely 200MHz isn't the difference between smooth on Extreme and incapable of running the game.

clav

so when my E8400 CPU was overclocked from 3GHz to 3.2GHz, Starcraft 2 ran great on extreme. Removing the overlock, it stutters and lags even when I reduce all the settings to low. This makes no sense!!!

What could be causing this problem? Surely 200MHz isn't the difference between smooth on Extreme and incapable of running the game.

What's your FSB:RAM speed ratio for both overclocked and non-overclocked states?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom