• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
You can go with the AX750 if you want essentially the same PSU/features and warranty but for a bit cheaper. That being said, if ever you decide to go multi-GPU, the AX850 will allow you to do so.

If you're trying to save some money though, there's absolutely no issue going down to a TX650...that'll save you almost $100. Keep in mind that modular really isn't all that big of a deal, especially when cases have such great cable management nowadays.

Isaccard

So, what the difference between an IPS panel and a TN panel?

I've been doing some research on google, but I still don't have a clear understanding of either, nor which would be best for me.

Edit: I am digging that monitor above, right in my price range too. <3 u Exodu5.

TheExodu5

Banned
IPS offers better colors and viewing angles, but has reduced responsiveness (more ghosting) and sometimes a bit more input lag. Oh, and higher price, obviously.

Unfortunately, both have somewhat poor blacks. :(

1-D_FTW

IPS offers better colors and viewing angles, but has reduced responsiveness (more ghosting) and sometimes a bit more input lag. Oh, and higher price, obviously.

Unfortunately, both have somewhat poor blacks. :(

Pretty much. I've never really been bothered by the whole TN angle issue, because it's a monitor. Sitting in front of my face. Why do I need wide viewing angles? Plus, ghosting is a dirty word to me. And I'm sensitive to it. So I'll take the fast refresh of TN if it keeps that ugly monster in check. And for gaming, it's a must for me.

If I were buying a new monitor right now, this is the one I'd buy (30 MIR Gift Card):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236104

I can't justify almost 700 bucks for 27 inches, but that's a damn good price for a 120hz monitor. It's a glossy screen, so YMMV on that.

Edit: I am digging that monitor above, right in my price range too. <3 u Exodu5.

That's the one I have (after doing quite a bit of research). But 289.99 (after rebate) is pretty tempting for a 120hz monitor. It's obviously an inch smaller, but still tempting at that price.

These are the settings I use on 246:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35436271&postcount=4013

Preparing for a new build when IB hits, wondering if should get a new PSU or just keep the one I already have. It's a Corsair 550W with 41A on +12V. I bought it in July 2009, so it'll be about 3 years old when I build. Will that be enough (accounting for deteriorating) or would I be better off going up to 650 or something?

Isaccard

Affordable 120hz without display port? wtffffffff

Edit: Would a glossy screen make much difference?

Edit: but then, for that price who cares

mkenyon

Banned
The S23A750D I picked up has a glossy screen. My office is setup for fighting against glare (monitor pointed towards door, window never gets direct sunlight, led lighting under wire rack that holds monitors), so It hasn't been an issue with me. I did notice that my second monitor where I keep up mIRC, mumble, and other white background progams needs to be turned off while playing Dota 2 due to the glare on the glossy screen. It does give it a bit of a crisper look though.

scitek

I was able to hit 4.5 GHz with my 2500k without any trouble. As expected, I've only seen marginal improvements in games, but then I loaded up Dolphin. Holy shit.

Keikaku

I'm typing this out on my new computer and I'm feeling a bit weirded out right now.

I put in a new mobo, CPU and RAM but I'm using my old SSD (my OS drive) and HD. Once I got the bios configured for the new mobo, my computer pretty much started up as normal. The only other thing I had to do was re-install video drivers.

Is it odd that I didn't have to do a fresh install of Windows 7? Anyone else experience this?

1-D_FTW

I'm typing this out on my new computer and I'm feeling a bit weirded out right now.

I put in a new mobo, CPU and RAM but I'm using my old SSD (my OS drive) and HD. Once I got the bios configured for the new mobo, my computer pretty much started up as normal. The only other thing I had to do was re-install video drivers.

Is it odd that I didn't have to do a fresh install of Windows 7? Anyone else experience this?

I've upgraded CPU and RAM before without updating Windows. Never a motherboard. I guess if things are unstable for weird reasons, you'll know where to look first. I'm not even going to try and go that route next week. New mobo, new install for me.

n0n44m

had the same thing, took SSD out of laptop, connected it to my new desktop build, immediately booted up, installed new drivers, rebooted ready for business :p

I still did a clean install after that anyway (which I suggest you do as well) , but it shows that Windows 7 has a better and more flexible relationship with drivers/hardware than previous Windows versions

for fun just run some benches like 3Dmark and see if they change after a clean Windows install (I forgot to do that :[ )

Smokey

Need the HT for encoding?

Wish I would have gone 2600K in retrospect. Started encoding a *ton* as of late. The GPU's help quite a bit, but still.

I do a lot of video editing, and I just put together a 2500k. :\

See..sometimes it is better to get more than what you really need in the present. You never know if your computer usage/habits will change in the near future ;)

Pretty much. I've never really been bothered by the whole TN angle issue, because it's a monitor. Sitting in front of my face. Why do I need wide viewing angles? Plus, ghosting is a dirty word to me. And I'm sensitive to it. So I'll take the fast refresh of TN if it keeps that ugly monster in check. And for gaming, it's a must for me.

If I were buying a new monitor right now, this is the one I'd buy (30 MIR Gift Card):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236104

I can't justify almost 700 bucks for 27 inches, but that's a damn good price for a 120hz monitor. It's a glossy screen, so YMMV on that.

Great monitor. Also great for console gaming. I almost prefer playing on this monitor instead of the 55'' in my living room.

I too think a monitor section in the OP would be great.

TGMIII

I got myself a benq xl2420t at the start of the month which I'm really happy with so far. The colours out of the box were horrible but after playing with it I've got it to a stage that I'm happy with.

Draft

Qty. Image Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price
Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm ...
Model #:CHALLENGER
Item #:N82E16811147153
Return Policy:Standard Return Policy
In Stock
$59.99 -$5.00 Instant $54.99
XFX HD-687A-ZHFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Model #:HD-687A-ZHFC
Item #:N82E16814150561
Return Policy:VGA Standard Return Policy
In Stock
Mail in Rebate Card
$169.99 -$10.00 Instant $159.99
BIOSTAR TZ68A+ LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Model #:TZ68A+
Item #:N82E16813138319
In Stock
$119.99 -$10.00 Instant $109.99
Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.4GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 ...
Model #:BX80623I52400
Item #:N82E16819115074
Return Policy:CPU Replacement Only Return Policy
In Stock
$189.99 $189.99
G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR
Model #:F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR
Item #:N82E16820231416
Return Policy:Memory Standard Return Policy
In Stock
$47.99 $47.99
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
Model #:DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS
Item #:N82E16827135204
In Stock
$20.99 $20.99
Subtotal: $583.94
Holla back before I pull the trigger.

This PC is for my brother. His computer melted down last week and he can't play WoW, which makes him very sad. Keeping things cheap is critical, but getting the best bang for the little bucks he has is also important.

It will never be overclocked. Ever. He has zero ability to setup or maintain an overclock, and I will be the tech support for this thing and I have zero desire to ever have it lock up, blue screen or do anything else except run quietly. Is there a better motherboard in this price range? Something extremely stable?

Is the 6870 still the best performer in this price range?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I too think a monitor section in the OP would be great.
So make one then. Not my forte.
Holla back before I pull the trigger.

This PC is for my brother. His computer melted down last week and he can't play WoW, which makes him very sad. Keeping things cheap is critical, but getting the best bang for the little bucks he has is also important.

It will never be overclocked. Ever. He has zero ability to setup or maintain an overclock, and I will be the tech support for this thing and I have zero desire to ever have it lock up, blue screen or do anything else except run quietly. Is there a better motherboard in this price range? Something extremely stable?

Is the 6870 still the best performer in this price range?
Looks good. That's about the best value you can get sans going down to a H61 board. Yes on 6870.

theRizzle

I got myself a benq xl2420t at the start of the month which I'm really happy with so far. The colours out of the box were horrible but after playing with it I've got it to a stage that I'm happy with.

Would you mind sharing the change you made?

That's the monitor I'm looking at too, so I'd like to get an idea of what other people are using for settings when I pick it up so I can have a decent starting point for fiddling around.

LegoDad

Intelligent PC gaf, I have researched and tried many things with no prevail...

Whenever Flash tries to access a webcam, it completely crashes... I have no issues with Flash anywhere else...

It's like it hangs then just crashes... happens in every browser, and I've tried multiple different versions of Flash...

Intelligent PC gaf, I have researched and tried many things with no prevail...

Whenever Flash tries to access a webcam, it completely crashes... I have no issues with Flash anywhere else...

It's like it hangs then just crashes... happens in every browser, and I've tried multiple different versions of Flash...

a few suggestions:

- uninstall flash, reboot, then reinstall (the latest version of) flash
- uninstall your webcam software, reboot, then reinstall (the latest version of) your webcam software
- verify that your webcam is working in other software. if it's not then it's either the hardware is fuxxored or the software is misconfigured
- the server Flash is trying to use may simply be too busy. try it at an odd hour.
- as a last resort, reinstall the OS (a pain in the ass I know)

hope this helps.

Firestorm

In case anyone's already done this research, my computer is BSODing like crazy and I'm going to re-install Windows. I figure if the HDD is going I may as well get an SSD for my main OS. It's a SATA2 setup though so I was wondering if I could go with an Intel 320 over the Crucial M4 without sacrificing anything? Or is the M4 still better even though I can't take advantage of SATA3?

DarkFlow

Banned
One extra question. Any suggestion on the 560GTX brand? I've got Gygabyte, MSI, Asus and EVGA to choose from...

I always liked Evga, they have a good warranty and a trade up program. Or they did, last time I had one of their cards was when the 8800GTX came out.

Zapages

Hey guys,

My schools Dell XPS 700's power supply stopped working. My professor and I are wondering where we could possibly buy a new Power supply (it was 750W). I think Dell uses priority plugs and all... So anywhere do you guys recommend?

Woo just upgraded from my 6 year old pentium 4 haha

650d
HX850
H100 cooler
16gb vengeance
p8p67 pro
i7 2600k
1tb samsung f3
asus xonar d2x <--- Wow sound is amazing
8400gs <--- lol Im waiting for new cards

LegoDad

a few suggestions:

- uninstall flash, reboot, then reinstall (the latest version of) flash
- uninstall your webcam software, reboot, then reinstall (the latest version of) your webcam software
- verify that your webcam is working in other software. if it's not then it's either the hardware is fuxxored or the software is misconfigured
- the server Flash is trying to use may simply be too busy. try it at an odd hour.
- as a last resort, reinstall the OS (a pain in the ass I know)

hope this helps.

Tried all of that but the OS... Flash doesn't even work without a camera installed. lol. Really don't want to reinstall the OS...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Haven't had as much time recently to chime in, if you still have question feel free to repost them.
In case anyone's already done this research, my computer is BSODing like crazy and I'm going to re-install Windows. I figure if the HDD is going I may as well get an SSD for my main OS. It's a SATA2 setup though so I was wondering if I could go with an Intel 320 over the Crucial M4 without sacrificing anything? Or is the M4 still better even though I can't take advantage of SATA3?
Intel still seems to have a lower failure rate, but someone mentioned there are still odd cases of problems possibly related to the 8MB bug. An M4 or Samsung 830 still should be faster even on SATA 2.
One extra question. Any suggestion on the 560GTX brand? I've got Gygabyte, MSI, Asus and EVGA to choose from...
GTX 560 not the greatest buy. Get a 6870 or 560Ti for better value, or even better wait 4 weeks for new cards.

A few pages ago I think there were some recommendations given for good case fans but I can't find them. I'm looking to get two 140mm fans for the top of my Lancool K58W and I'd like them to be as silent as possible (air flow is already pretty good so I'm just adding them because I can). I'm assuming that if I just choose from Newegg's best rated low noise level fans that I'll get something good but does anyone have any suggestions?

Hello PC-gaf, lurking here last year helped me make my high end PC, and i am thankful for that.

However i have a friend who needs some help
He has an Asrock 775dual-VSTA, with an Intel pentium 4 641 Processor, and a 400watt PSU and was using an HD RADEON 4650, and he bought an PNY 9800 GT Energy Efficient, however this card doesn't show anything when installed.
Could any of You PC-Gaffers Lend me a hand on what might be wrong?

My curent guesses are that the PCIE 1.0 Rail doesn't provide enough power for the GPU.

zkylon

zkylewd
GTX 560 not the greatest buy. Get a 6870 or 560Ti for better value, or even better wait 4 weeks for new cards.
The Ti version would make 400$, which is a little out of my reach atm, and I don't know why, but I like Nvidia better, so I'm kinda weary of buying AMD. Might buy all the parts but the card this week and see how much a 7850 is.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Are there any monitors that comes close to CRT when it comes to input delay?

Zeliard

Are there any monitors that comes close to CRT when it comes to input delay?

Dell U2312HM has been measured as having a remarkably low input lag; very close to a CRT. And it's an IPS screen, no less (e-IPS).

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2312hm.htm

The input lag of the U2312HM was incredibly low, and in fact the lowest we have ever seen from a TFT display. There was practically no delay at all with most measurements showing 0ms lag compared with the CRT. There was an occasional lag of up to 10ms but over many measurements we had an average lag of only 0.6ms. This was lower than the already very good U2311H (10.3ms) and the new Dell U2412M (9.4ms). Excellent work here from Dell to bring lag down to such a low level. This will present no problem, even to high end gamers.

0.6ms! Hugely impressive and hopefully a sign of things to come.

Corky

0.6ms! Hugely impressive and hopefully a sign of things to come.

Errr....wow? What kind of measurement is that? I mean are they using somekind of standard test? Because if it's 0.6ms I'm selling my dell 2711 tomorrow.

REALISTICALLY, how much do you guys think I could Ebay my current PC for?

i72600K
GTX 560TI
Hyper 212 Fan
Asus Sabertooth P67 R3
8GB Corsair Vengeance
1xIntel 320 Series 120GB SSD
2x WD 1.5TB HDD
CM Haf 922

IF I went through with it and tried to sell, what do you think I could get for it at this point?

I was thinking at the least $1150

I kind of want to start over and not have to come out of pocket too much lol

and I probably won't build the new machine until NVIDIA's new cards come out sooooooooo

Zeliard

Errr....wow? What kind of measurement is that? I mean are they using somekind of standard test? Because if it's 0.6ms I'm selling my dell 2711 tomorrow.

He compares each screen against a CRT but I dunno what his exact testing process is beyond that. In this particular case it's probably pretty reliable, as prad.de also measured the U2312HM at 1.1 ms. Either way you're looking at a very responsive IPS screen.

REALISTICALLY, how much do you guys think I could Ebay my current PC for?

i72600K
GTX 560TI
Hyper 212 Fan
Asus Sabertooth P67 R3
8GB Corsair Vengeance
1xIntel 320 Series 120GB SSD
2x WD 1.5TB HDD
CM Haf 922

IF I went through with it and tried to sell, what do you think I could get for it at this point?

I was thinking at the least $1150

Why would you sell that? So pointless.

Isaccard

Does know if the Asus ODD in the OP is capable of reading Wii/PS2 discs? While I still have games for the Wii I want to play, and planning to buy others (Xenoblade, Last Story) I no longer have a Wii anymore, I'm hoping I can still rip the discs I have and turn them into .iso's to run on Dolphin.

Corky

He compares each screen against a CRT but I dunno what his exact testing process is beyond that. In this particular case it's probably pretty reliable, as prad.de also measured the U2312HM at 1.1 ms. Either way you're looking at a very responsive IPS screen.

That seals it. Thanks.

How much? ;)

Well, the prices where I live are tearinducing... I paid close to 1000 dollars for my monitor and something tells me you don't live in sweden :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom