• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
So what's the general procedure when it comes to new nvidia launches?

Reference design first - how much longer until 3rd party manufacturers release their own gear? E.g the msi twin frozr or asus direct cu cards.

longdi

Banned
A few pages ago I think there were some recommendations given for good case fans but I can't find them. I'm looking to get two 140mm fans for the top of my Lancool K58W and I'd like them to be as silent as possible (air flow is already pretty good so I'm just adding them because I can). I'm assuming that if I just choose from Newegg's best rated low noise level fans that I'll get something good but does anyone have any suggestions?

thermalright ty140 or ty150. they are the best.
if you are looking for them as intake, silverstone ap141 is ok for focus airflow but ty140 is better quality.

1-D_FTW

Anyway, I'm very happy with what I've built. 30 second boots thanks to the SSD are invaluable. A huge thank you to Darkatomz for convincing me that I'd notice a difference between the Xonar DG and my onboard audio. Holy shit do I notice a difference. My AV 40s sound amazing now. In Battlefield 3 it sounds like I'm actually standing on a battlefield. I'm also very happy with Windows 7 compared to Vista. I like the way libraries work (if there was something similar in Vista I didn't know about it) and it's nice that (at least so far) it seems to be remember my folder settings.

When I was reading about RAID while trying to set up RAID1 I took to heart the adage that "RAID is not backup" so now in addition to RAID1 on my two 3TB drives I have my 1TB external drive being used as a location for Windows Backup. I'm not completely safe but it's a lot better than the backup I had going before (none).

I originally intended to simply upgrade my GTS 250 but that turned into all of this. I've learned a lot along the way and this thread has been extremely valuable to me. Thanks a lot to everyone who contributes to it and to Hazaro and whoever else helps with the OP. It's truly a great resource.

Hot damn, I was waiting for the 64GB to drop so I can get one for my mother's PC. $65! Thanks.

Doesn't really sound much quicker than my 7200RPM HD. XP took around 20 seconds and Windows 7 is 30 - 35 (from memory, I don't reboot often since going to sleep only uses a couple watts and awakens in like 3 seconds).

thermalright ty140 or ty150. they are the best.
if you are looking for them as intake, silverstone ap141 is ok for focus airflow but ty140 is better quality.

The TY-140 sounds good, but is there any reason why this CoolerMaster R4-S4S-10AK-GP would be a significantly worse choice? The CFM is less but it has a lower dBA, and it's half the price.

Doesn't really sound much quicker than my 7200RPM HD. XP took around 20 seconds and Windows 7 is 30 - 35 (from memory, I don't reboot often since going to sleep only uses a couple watts and awakens in like 3 seconds).

It's definitely 20-30 seconds faster than Vista booted on my 7200 RPM Caviar Blue. I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to improve the boot speed, but keep in mind the SSD (Intel 320) is SATA2, so that could be a factor. I'm eyeing those those $130 M4s and thinking about switching Windows to one and then using the Intel exclusively for games, but I'm not sure if the SATA3 speed increase will be worth it.

I don't like sleep mode, for some reason.

The Caviar Green has a bigger cache, get that one.

It's time.

stanley2.gif

I jumped on the 256gb one

Question: I'll want to move my existing Win 7 install over to the new SSD when it comes in.

Are these the correct steps I should take (saw it posted on Overclockers.net from a pretty well respected member there)?

1. Use windows 7 backup program first, save the iso to my blank m4 ssd
Guide: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/663-backup-complete-computer-create-image-backup.html

2. Run the system restore. (this will "restore" (aka clone) the image to my M4 SSD whilst leaving my existing windows 7 untouched. I will have 2 windows 7 partition now)
Guide: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/675-system-image-recovery.html

3. Then go to bios and select M4 SSD as boot drive

--- I really want to avoid installing everything all over again.

jcutner

Hey folks

Question on lower end (cheaper) video cards.
My dad's computer has an 8800GT which seems to be dying - artifacting, etc.

I see on the build list, the cheapest GPU recommended is the 550Ti - are there any cards you would recommend that would be a good upgrade over the 8800GT but still remaining relatively cheap?

No high intensity games are being played on the machine or anything like that.

scogoth

Silly question: is it better to place a graphics card at the top of the motherboard - near the CPU heatsink (case upright) or at the bottom?

At the top, the card's fans have more room to blow out air, but it's much closer to the CPU heatsink. This is opposed to placing it on the bottom PCI slot where there's less room between the card and the PSU for air to circulate about.

Always top, the PCIe slots lower down are usually 8x speeds and sometimes 4x instead of 16x for slot one.

mug

Hey folks

I see on the build list, the cheapest GPU recommended is the 550Ti - are there any cards you would recommend that would be a good upgrade over the 8800GT but still remaining relatively cheap?

Depends on the power supply really but I'd recommend a GTX 460 if you can get your hands on one. They're usually around the same price as the 550ti and quite a bit faster.

jcutner

Depends on the power supply really but I'd recommend a GTX 460 if you can get your hands on one. They're usually around the same price as the 550ti and quite a bit faster.

It's an older machine, I want to say it's an e6400 - but the PSU should be sufficient. I have a GTX 460 in my gaming machine right now - I wonder if I could source another one...

mkenyon

Banned
TBH, they're both terrible.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...na&AID=10521304&PID=4003003&SID=1xav839yr384n

Crucial SSD now is $1 for 1gb!
I duno why Crucial is dumping their SSD, but $130 for 128gb...gotta grab em fast!
Hope my wife doesn't know how much 4 SSDs in a newegg box cost.
ok it looks like my old video card supports that. I was looking at monitors a week ago and disgusted that newegg canada seemed to have none of the good ones.
Do note that DVI-D is not Dual Link. DVI-D stands for DVI-Digital Only.

scogoth

Lot of questions about DVI and 120Hz for reference heres all the DVI connection types
181px-DVI_Connector_Types.svg.png

DVI-I = DVI integrated, supports both DVI and VGA output via adapter
DVI-D = DVI Digital, only support DVI output. Will not work with VGA adapter
DVI-A = Analog, only supports VGA output through adapter

Single-Link = 1920x1200 at 60Hz max
Dual-Link = 2560x1600 at 60Hz or 1920x1200 at 120Hz (as a general guideline, the actually limitations are complicated)

*A single link cable will work with a dual link port but a dual link cable WILL NOT work with a single link port.
*A dual link cable and port are required for 120Hz.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Gut would say Seagate, but I haven't relooked into the Green head parking issues.
I'd also recommend you grab the 1TB Samsung F3 if possible.
Question: I'll want to move my existing Win 7 install over to the new SSD when it comes in.

Are these the correct steps I should take (saw it posted on Overclockers.net from a pretty well respected member there)?

1. Use windows 7 backup program first, save the iso to my blank m4 ssd
Guide: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/663-backup-complete-computer-create-image-backup.html

2. Run the system restore. (this will "restore" (aka clone) the image to my M4 SSD whilst leaving my existing windows 7 untouched. I will have 2 windows 7 partition now)
Guide: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/675-system-image-recovery.html

3. Then go to bios and select M4 SSD as boot drive

--- I really want to avoid installing everything all over again.
I skimmed, didn't know Windows could do that. I'd probably get some free cloning or backup software instead. Can you actually restore a backup from your SSD to your SSD? Doesn't sound right.

I'd just clone HDD to SSD straight and see if it works.
Hey folks

If there's no gaming involved then I'd get a 210 or something
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004KABG22/?tag=neogaf0e-20
The TY-140 sounds good, but is there any reason why this CoolerMaster R4-S4S-10AK-GP would be a significantly worse choice? The CFM is less but it has a lower dBA, and it's half the price.
Sleeve bearing vs MetalLiquidMagnetBearingBRANDNAME. Not sure how much of an actual impact there is in noise, but one should last longer and make less noise.
Fan specs in general are horribly wrong or inaccurate. I've been very pleased with my Scythe Kama's, insanely quiet.

mkenyon

Banned
Forgot to mention, Corsair silently released unisleeved kits for their PSUs. Whole kits available for the AX, and then PCI-E/SATA/Molex available for the HX/TX-M. Here's hoping for a Corsair branded Seasonic Platinum soon. To give you guys an idea, prior to this, paying someone like Psychosleeve would be about $500 for a whole PSU. Quality is a bit better with Psycosleeve, plus you're limited on colors with Corsair. At 1/5 the price though, it's a killer deal.

red_ax_650_750_850_24pin.jpg

scogoth

Forgot to mention, Corsair silently released unisleeved kits for their PSUs. Whole kits available for the AX, and then PCI-E/SATA/Molex available for the HX/TX-M. Here's hoping for a Corsair branded Seasonic Platinum soon. To give you guys an idea, prior to this, paying someone like Psychosleeve would be about $500 for a whole PSU. Quality is a bit better with Psycosleeve, plus you're limited on colors with Corsair. At 1/5 the price though, it's a killer deal.

red_ax_650_750_850_24pin.jpg

My question is why isnt this standard on all premium PSUs

longdi

Banned

build quality and silence mainly. and also ty140 allows your motherboard bios to automate the speed with temps because it is pwm
i owed a box of coolermaster fans such as the link, they make more noise for the amount of air pushed. needless to say i dumped them to my auntie low end pc hidden under her table.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Anyone have info on this? I heard it will be available in April. Just wondering if I should plan around that
1-3 months, probably 10-15% speed boost, oc boost unknown, uses less power.
Nothing gamechanging probably unless they OC to 5.0Ghz average via magic of tri-gate.
Info in the OP. But, about a 15% bump in performance. Also *might* be pushed to June.
I had to even look for it.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di...y_Bridge_Performance_Numbers_to_Partners.html

Guri

Guys, since I can't create a thread and it's somehow related to a PC, do any of you know a great remote control for a slide presentation? For both Windows and Mac. It would be better if I could buy it from Amazon!

Thanks!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
There may be a small bit of gaming, would the GT520 be worthwhile to look at? It's only $20~ more it seems.
'some gaming' is relative. What would be acceptable res/frames/settings?
This 6770 is stupid cheap after rebate. Ignore the reviews.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125396
Thanks for the link. They say 25% boost? Hrm. Will probably be way over priced would be my guess if it's a new release.
10-15% If there's a 16% CPU boost in FUTUREMARK it sure as hell should be lower in practice. That's my guess.

I skimmed, didn't know Windows could do that. I'd probably get some free cloning or backup software instead. Can you actually restore a backup from your SSD to your SSD? Doesn't sound right.

I'd just clone HDD to SSD straight and see if it works.

What I'm looking into right now, and what I'll probably try, is a software called EaseUS todo backup. It's free, which is nice, and seems to be recommended often.

There's also a couple other alternatives out there (I'll list them for anyone interested):
- Clonezilla
- Paragon Migrate OS to SSD (costs $19.99)
- Acronis Home 2010/11 (requires a free(?) "Plus Pack" to do the migration)

EaseUS seems simple enough though, so that's what I'm going to try first. If it works I'll be extremely delighted!

build quality and silence mainly. and also ty140 allows your motherboard bios to automate the speed with temps because it is pwm
i owed a box of coolermaster fans such as the link, they make more noise for the amount of air pushed. needless to say i dumped them to my auntie low end pc hidden under her table.

Thanks, I just ordered two TY-140s from FrozenCPU.

And FYI the 64GB and 128GB Crucial M4s are already sold out on Newegg.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Anyone verify? I don't recall Sweclockers being a bad source.

http://en.expreview.com/2012/02/29/intel-confirms-ivy-bridge-launch-delay/21487.html
Intel will delay the launch of its Ivy Bridge processors, according to the report from Sweclockers.

In accordance with the previous information, Intel will release its Ivy Bridge processors and matched 7-series motherboards on April 8th. However, the launch schedule has been adjusted. The release of Ivy Bridge will be divided into three steps, new plan is shown as follows:

April 8th

On April 8th, Intel will release 7-series motherboards based on Z77, Z75, H77 and B75 chipsets. But on that day users still can’t buy Ivy Bridge processors.

April 29th

On this day quad-core desktop Ivy Bridge processors will be officially announced, which covers Core i5 and Core i7 series models. Meanwhile NDA will be removed, the media are able to post relative reviews. And it remains to be seen whether these processors will be available.

June

In June, dual-core mobile Ivy Bridge processors will debut, additionally Ultrabook based on Ivy Bridge platform will come out, too. On June 3rd, Intel will launch Q77 and Q75 chipsets.

So I finally took the plunge and pulled the trigger on an SSD- Crucial M4 128GB. Upon receiving the package, I noticed that all it contains is the drive itself with no cables or brackets. While I should be able to find cables easily, I don't have anything to mount this drive onto my desktop drive bay. So seeing as how there are not moving parts, would it be ok to just lay the drive in an area in my case without mounting it? (or perhaps velcro'ing it to a wall)

Also, I've got a copy of Vista and a Windows 7 upgrade. When I reformat, do I have to reinstall with Vista first then upgrade with Windows 7 or can I just go straight to Windows 7 install?

So I finally took the plunge and pulled the trigger on an SSD- Crucial M4 128GB. Upon receiving the package, I noticed that all it contains is the drive itself with no cables or brackets. While I should be able to find cables easily, I don't have anything to mount this drive onto my desktop drive bay. So seeing as how there are not moving parts, would it be ok to just lay the drive in an area in my case without mounting it? (or perhaps velcro'ing it to a wall)

Also, I've got a copy of Vista and a Windows 7 upgrade. When I reformat, do I have to reinstall with Vista first then upgrade with Windows 7 or can I just go straight to Windows 7 install?

Yeah, you don't have to mount it. You can velcro it. It has no moving parts so you don't have to worry about vibration.

You can clean install an upgrade Windows 7 without installing Vista first. See here: https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/31402-clean-install-upgrade-windows-7-version.html

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...na&AID=10521304&PID=4003003&SID=1xav839yr384n

Crucial SSD now is $1 for 1gb!
I duno why Crucial is dumping their SSD, but $130 for 128gb...gotta grab em fast!

I bought an M4 128 GB last week for $160 from Amazon. I hope Amazon price-matches down to $130 so I can get my $30 back.

Yeah, you don't have to mount it. You can velcro it. It has no moving parts so you don't have to worry about vibration.

You can clean install an upgrade Windows 7 without installing Vista first. See here: https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/31402-clean-install-upgrade-windows-7-version.html

I bought an M4 128 GB last week for $160 from Amazon. I hope Amazon price-matches down to $130 so I can get my $30 back.

Cool thanks for the tip..can't wait install this thing this weekend...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom