• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I remember this place...

Asus ROG Maximus V GENE Z77 mATX

nhhIP.jpg
jEZOT.jpg

ASUS ROG Maximus V GENE LGA1155 Z77 Motherboard Detailed
http://www.maximum-tech.net/asus-rog-maximus-v-gene-lga1155-z77-motherboard-detailed-10145/

Ever throw money at the screen so hard you separate a shoulder?

Antagon

So, how long do you guys expect this to survive?
img_20120304_133928g4yob.jpg

Mini itx is a pain.

Edit: cpu stays around 51c when watching a 720p movie from the ssd. Still passable I guess, but I do wonder what'll happen when I watch 1080p from the main disk

aznpxdd

Just bought a bunch of BitFenix sleeved cable extender to clean up and spice up my case a bit! Also picked up 2x120mm blue LED fans to add some lighting to the case. Will post pics once I get everything set up!

Here are some pics of the cables I bought.

341.png

315.png

296.png

And so on...

I'd like to hear some opinions on mechanical keyboards. I'm currently considering a Unicomp Ultra Classic. I'm worried that I won't like the extra force needed to press the keys or the extra noise, but I'm told that most people get used to it and come to prefer it. I wish I could try one out before buying. Any thoughts?

1-D_FTW

scogoth

I'd like to hear some opinions on mechanical keyboards. I'm currently considering a Unicomp Ultra Classic. I'm worried that I won't like the extra force needed to press the keys or the extra noise, but I'm told that most people get used to it and come to prefer it. I wish I could try one out before buying. Any thoughts?

I was one of those didn't-like-it-till-I-got-used-to-it-now-I-love-it people. The Razor black widow has a little open window on the packaging to feel the keys. I know thats not much of a test but if there is a store nearby you can at least feel the difference to see what everyone is talking about. It has MX Blue switches so its a little more clicky than other mechanical keyboards.

mkenyon

Banned
·feist said:
Hey, I remember this place...

Asus ROG Maximus V GENE Z77 mATX

Ever throw money at the screen so hard you separate a shoulder?
Keep this up, and I'll add you to ignore.

That mini PCI-E slot is stupid awesome.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Anyone want to take a stab at this?

Suggested Accessories: Monitors, Keyboards, Mice, Microphones, Headphones and Speakers
Under construction
Monitor: 20", 22", 24", Gaming and IPS
Mouse: $20, G400 ($40), 2x$60
Keyboards: $20, $40, $60, 2x Mechs, G15 style. Mechanical Keyboard Thread
Headphones/Headset: $20 $40 $80 $120 + Headphone GAF link
Mic: Zalman Clip on Mic ($8) and Logitech USB Microphone ($22)

mkenyon

Banned
I would, but I wouldn't be able to offer the budget suggestions. Xai/Sensei, PC-350s, 120hz and tenkeyless cherry reds or gtfo.

Bought these

Cooler Master HAF 912
ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3
Intel i5 2500k
G.skill ARES Series 8GB(2x4GB)
Muskin Enhanced Chronos 60GB SSD
Cooler Master Mega Flow 200(200 mm fan)

I moved over my GTX 460 and Corsair HX750 from my old PC so that's my config. Windows Experience Index is 7.5(up from 5.9) so I'm pretty happy with what I'm doing so far. I think the first game I'm going to buy is LA Noire. My friend showed me the game and he has really sold me on it. Game looks gorgeous and the facial animation is the best I've ever seen in any game I've ever played.

Coldsnap

Would like some input on my HTPC speaker setup.

I'm moving to another state and going to be doing some big downsizing, leaving behind my 55" plasma tv, receiver, 5.1 system, xbox 360, and ps3 behind. With interests in having the most simple setup possible I'm going to buy a smaller TV once I move and make my PC an HTPC that can play games. I'm trying to decide what is the most elegant speaker setup. I'm ditching my receiver and 5.1 because it takes up a lot of room, a lot of energy, and has a lot of wires. I was thinking possibly a Sony soundbar but those come with a subwoofer/receiver that you have to use. How about just two standard high quality PC speakers that will plug directly into my PC and I can just set them on top of the entertainment cabinet next to the TV?

mkenyon

Banned
Guess I have to leave the thread unless you buy me things then.
Bout time. Hostile takeover! :p

*edit*

In the process of writing a competitive gaming accessories guide. It will include "budget" mechanical boards, but nothing with membrane/scissor switches. I don't know enough about monitors to offer good suggestions on budget stuff, and know even less on color correct type monitors. Response time and refresh rate are the only two features I look at.

Antagon

I'm moving to another state and going to be doing some big downsizing, leaving behind my 55" plasma tv, receiver, 5.1 system, xbox 360, and ps3 behind. With interests in having the most simple setup possible I'm going to buy a smaller TV once I move and make my PC an HTPC that can play games. I'm trying to decide what is the most elegant speaker setup. I'm ditching my receiver and 5.1 because it takes up a lot of room, a lot of energy, and has a lot of wires. I was thinking possibly a Sony soundbar but those come with a subwoofer/receiver that you have to use. How about just two standard high quality PC speakers that will plug directly into my PC and I can just set them on top of the entertainment cabinet next to the TV?

Is the HTPC the only thing that you're connecting to that TV? If not I'd keep the receiver and just connect two front speakers to it.

If you do, then get some active speakers (there are quality active bookshelf speakers for sale) use an external dac. If your budget allows for it ofcourse.

Chony

So I finished my new COMP!

ASUS P8Z68-V LX LGA
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB
MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II OC Radeon HD 6950 2GB
XFX Core Edition PRO550W
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus

iiBa6nmuFlMUP.jpg

Been playing some Starcraft 2 on ultra without a hitch.

ONLY problem so far. Occasionally on boot I get a cpu fan error. I can just skip it, and it works fine. The fan is running, the cpu is cool. I'm not sure what i should do. Get a new fan? Update the bios? I don't know.

scogoth

ASUS P8Z68-V LX LGA
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB
XFX Core Edition PRO550W

iOOfac69YPlly.jpg

ONLY problem so far. Occasionally on boot I get a cpu fan error. I can just skip it, and it works fine. The fan is running, the cpu is cool. I'm not sure what i should do. Get a new fan? Update the bios? I don't know.

You sure its plugged into the CPU_FAN header and not sys or cha headers?

Chony

Yeah, I double checked the connections, made sure it was pushed in all the way. The fan is spinning. Googling just told me to disable errors, but I think there's got to be a better way.

mkenyon

Banned
Often, there is CPU_OPT and CPU_FAN, one being primary and one being secondary. Make sure it's in the primary header.

Rad build. Be sure to look back a page or two for the cable management guide. Will help you tons.

Coldsnap

Is the HTPC the only thing that you're connecting to that TV? If not I'd keep the receiver and just connect two front speakers to it.

If you do, then get some active speakers (there are quality active bookshelf speakers for sale) use an external dac. If your budget allows for it ofcourse.

The PC will be the only thing connected to the TV. What does a DAC do? I've researched it before but never understood it.

scogoth

The PC will be the only thing connected to the TV. What does a DAC do? I've researched it before but never understood it.

Digital Analog Converter. Its converts the bits of a digital audio file (the 01010010101010101) into an analog wave form to feed into an amp or powered speakers to play sound. Some do this better than others hence given better sound. Of course the source file, your speakers and your ears all have to be high quality to hear the difference between a decent DAC and audiophile DAC.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Bout time. Hostile takeover! :p

*edit*

In the process of writing a competitive gaming accessories guide. It will include "budget" mechanical boards, but nothing with membrane/scissor switches. I don't know enough about monitors to offer good suggestions on budget stuff, and know even less on color correct type monitors. Response time and refresh rate are the only two features I look at.
Right. For KB's I just looked at what I needed ($20 saitek, then a DAS)
Monitors I bought for value and only bought an on sale one.

ASUS P8Z68-V LX LGA
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB
XFX Core Edition PRO550W

Looks nice. As said double check FAN_ connection.
Ultra is a waste of frames, just play on High.

scogoth

Right. For KB's I just looked at what I needed ($20 saitek, then a DAS)
Monitors I bought for value and only bought an on sale one.

Looks nice. As said double check FAN_ connection.
Ultra is a waste of frames, just play on High.

But you miss out on the beautiful ambient occlusion and transparency AA for that toss mothership goodness!

Nothing like D-Strike mothership to make people lag out

Antagon

Digital Analog Converter. Its converts the bits of a digital audio file (the 01010010101010101) into an analog wave form to feed into an amp or powered speakers to play sound. Some do this better than others hence given better sound. Of course the source file, your speakers and your ears all have to be high quality to hear the difference.

Not necessarily. I've got an asrock board and if I use the onboard analog audio there's a loud hum coming from my speakers when I'm not playing any music. A cheap DAC can have some pretty bad interference.

Coldsnap, check this thread for some speakers.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348320

Antagon

So, how long do you guys expect this to survive?
img_20120304_133928g4yob.jpg

Mini itx is a pain.

Edit: cpu stays around 51c when watching a 720p movie from the ssd. Still passable I guess, but I do wonder what'll happen when I watch 1080p from the main disk

Small update: CPU hit 65C when playing some 720p content from hdd and simultaneously unpacking some large files. Going to need to find a replacement cooler, guess a side blowing 1u is the only real option. Anyone got experience with these?

I'm talking about coolers like these:
1315296730.jpeg

Antagon

Just trying to say don't go buy a $800 DAC when you have logitech speakers when most onboard audio today is passable.

A 800$ DAC is always overkill. But yeah, try it with onboard first, get an external (and affordable) DAC when you have issues.

Coldsnap

Digital Analog Converter. Its converts the bits of a digital audio file (the 01010010101010101) into an analog wave form to feed into an amp or powered speakers to play sound. Some do this better than others hence given better sound. Of course the source file, your speakers and your ears all have to be high quality to hear the difference between a decent DAC and audiophile DAC.

I just remembered my girlfriend has two of these I can take:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/KRK-Rok...2-Studio-Monitor--Each--105130256-i1401613.gc

I wonder if they would work good for music, movies, games.

1-D_FTW

http://us.ncix.com/products/index.php?usaffiliateid=1000031501&sku=67069&promoid=1009

Just purchased it. I needed a new keyboard. And the mechanical thread had me interested in the Choc Mini. But for this price and the security of ordering from a reputable business? Sold. Plus even though I was considering the brown cherries, I've used mechanical keyboards in the past and think I'll prefer the blues. So this just forces me to do what I'd probably prefer anyways.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Small update: CPU hit 65C when playing some 720p content from hdd and simultaneously unpacking some large files. Going to need to find a replacement cooler, guess a side blowing 1u is the only real option. Anyone got experience with these?

I'm talking about coolers like these:
1315296730.jpeg
Can you undervolt the chip with your motherboard?
65C at 100% load is fine.
I'd just find the slightly larger stock cooler if possible.

Antagon

Can you undervolt the chip with your motherboard?
65C at 100% load is fine.
I'd just find the slightly larger stock cooler if possible.

It's a 2100T, which is already undervolted 2100. It's also running at 1600Mhz when it hits 65C and even then around 25% CPU usage. Normal CPU speed would be 2500Mhz. Though I won't be stressing it, it'll basically run xbmc and do some downloads / unrarring in the background.

Also, I can't fit a larger cooler, there's literally 2 mm of space above the current one which is a 1U cooler as well I think.
images

Before adding the 3.5" HDD the CPU temp stayed in the 40s btw, so I guess the cooler is installed fine. Airflow in the case is awful though, the only casefan is blocked by 3 sata cables and there's no place to install another fan. Also, the temp is with the fan at the lowest possible speed. Higher speeds are possible of course, but it gets too loud for HTPC use.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
It's a 2100T, which is already undervolted 2100. It's also running at 1600Mhz when it hits 65C and even then around 25% CPU usage. Normal CPU speed would be 2500Mhz. Though I won't be stressing it, it'll basically run xbmc and do some downloads / unrarring in the background.

Also, I can't fit a larger cooler, there's literally 2 mm of space above the current one which is a 1U cooler as well I think.
images

Before adding the 3.5" HDD the CPU temp stayed in the 40s btw, so I guess the cooler is installed fine. Airflow in the case is awful though, the only casefan is blocked by 3 sata cables and there's no place to install another fan.
My mistake, I read that wrong.
Can you poke in the BIOS to up fan speed or use speedfan to force higher RPM?
There just looks to be no real room for it to push air.

*You edited again. Is there any room for 40 or 60mm fans you can just set in the case?
Also even if the 2100T is a low power undervolted 2100, that doesn't mean you can't undervolt is further.

Antagon

My mistake, I read that wrong.
Can you poke in the BIOS to up fan speed or use speedfan to force higher RPM?
There just looks to be no real room for it to push air.

*You edited again. Is there any room for 40 or 60mm fans you can just set in the case?
Also even if the 2100T is a low power undervolted 2100, that doesn't mean you can't undervolt is further.

I think there's room for another 80mm fan. Going to try that first and if that's not enough use a 1U cooler to direct the cpu's air to that fan.

The 80mm cooler will be more to the front of the cage though, so it might not help the cpu.

Firestorm

Got a 128GB Crucial M4 coming my way. Price Matched Amazon.ca's price on Futureshop.ca and called in for a price beat. Memory Express and Tiger Direct have it at the same price if there's one in your area to price match (otherwise there's a shipping charge).

$330.99 - $149.99 = $181.00 * 10% = $18.10
$149.99 - $18.10 = $131.89

128GB Crucial M4 for $131.89+tax :D

Can anyone recommend a cheap 2.5" -> 3.5" adapter/bracket? I have an Antec 300 case.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
7800 series has been launched.

580, 570, 6970 & 6950 are effectively redundant unless you get a really clearance price on them.
Posting here (Added text and TR):

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/03/04/amd_radeon_hd_7870_7850_video_card_review
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5625/...-hd-7850-review-rounding-out-southern-islands
http://techreport.com/articles.x/22573
http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-radeon-hd-7850-and-7870-review/1

Quick summary: The 7850 replaces the 6950 @ $250. The 7870 is now the mid-high range card to buy @ $350. Power draw very low for their performance. Pricing is where it should be and not aggressive.
HD7870-61.jpg

HD7870-62.jpg

n0n44m

I think there's room for another 80mm fan. Going to try that first and if that's not enough use a 1U cooler to direct the cpu's air to that fan.

The 80mm cooler will be more to the front of the cage though, so it might not help the cpu.

personally I wouldn't be that worried about the CPU temps as those can take quite a bit

I'd worry more about the motherboard's health ... just (unsuccessfully) finished trying to resurrect a broken HP ITX sized Core2Duo system I got from a family member. Completely dead motherboard :/ and that one had a well cooled (tower style cooler) cpu at the back of the motherboard

that 3.5" drive looks massive in there :p for that reason alone I got a Synology NAS for my XBMC setups ;)

I'd just try to tie up all cables really well and get two high quality 80 mm fans for a push-pull setup and run them at a low voltage (my Athlon X2 3800+ ATX htpc in a Silverstone LC17 is cooled by only two 80mm 5V outtake fans and a 5V tower style cpu cooler).

If the motherboard supports PWM cpu fans (I think every socket 1155 board does) I think you could even rig up the cpu cooler and case fans to be PWM controlled by cpu temperature from the bios with a PWM splitter (you would need special PWM casefans to do this though) ...

really nice looking case though ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom