• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of grip do you have, and are you more of a arm or wrist guy? Comp games or just general use and singleplayer type stuff?

I grip my mouse pretty lightly, and almost exclusively use my wrist to move it. Most of my home computer time is not spent playing games, but when I do play (and now that I have a more proficient PC I plan to dive into my Steam backlog) it could be anything from BF3 to Skyrim to Starcraft 2.

I'm keen on upgrading because this is my current mouse:

mouse.jpg

I'll say this about mice: I've used a lot of them. And the Logitech G700 is hands down my favorite of all-time.

The G700 is the other mouse that I've been considering. After holding it (while still packaged) at Best Buy yesterday I determined that I prefer the G500, mostly because I won't need all of the additional buttons that the G700 offers, but if I were to go wireless I'd get the G700.

While at Best Buy I also checked out the BlackWidow, per scogoth's recommendation. I've since narrowed my keyboard choices down to the following:

Unicomp Ultra Classic Black PS/2
Fullsize Leopold Brown
Logitech K800

The Logitech is there because they were on display at Best Buy and it reminds me of my current keyboard (which I mostly like aside from some slightly "sticky" buttons), and because I'm second-guessing mechanical keyboards. The BlackWidow told me that I definitely don't like Cherry Blue switches, but I won't know if I like Browns or buckling springs unless I try them. I'm trying to use YouTube videos to decide, but it's not easy. Am I a bad enough dude to order all three?

1-D_FTW

Lies! I don't believe it!

Me either.

I know. But it's true. I actually like it better than Razer now.

You can set 3 different profiles from the mouse. And with the software, you can pretty much do anything. Choose six different polling rates. Choose the number of DPI (1-5) you want the mouse to be able to scroll through, and then set each rate.

I like the scroll to have 3 different DPI. And you can pick anything you want from 200 - 5700 (I choose 1200, 1800, and 4500 DPI to be able to cycle through with the buttons).

I know. But it's true. I actually like it better than Razer now.

You can set 3 different profiles from the mouse. And with the software, you can pretty much do anything. Choose six different polling rates. Choose the number of DPI (1-5) you want the mouse to be able to scroll through, and then set each rate.

I like the scroll to have 3 different DPI. And you can pick anything you want from 200 - 5700 (I choose 1200, 1800, and 4500 DPI to be able to cycle through with the buttons).

*clings to Logitech G5* No... it cannot be true. NOOOOOOOOOOO

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm still using the (admittedly second) MX518 from my CS 1.5 days. So good.

Edit: Haha, similarly, my func1030 mousepad will be turning at least 10 this year.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Wireless?

Where we're going, we don't need wireless...

6784762369_40f27bcd18_z.jpg

1-D_FTW

*clings to Logitech G5* No... it cannot be true. NOOOOOOOOOOO

I had a G5. The G700 runs circles around it.

Helps my Death adder started double clicking and the G700 was on sale for 49.99 (or else I never would have gave it a chance), but I'm glad things aligned the way they did.

I had a G5. The G700 runs circles around it.

Helps my Death adder started double clicking and the G700 was on sale for 49.99 (or else I never would have gave it a chance), but I'm glad things aligned the way they did.

If someone sends me a G700, I will verify your claim. Until then, you speak lies and sow chaos within this community.

Ledsen

I grip my mouse pretty lightly, and almost exclusively use my wrist to move it. Most of my home computer time is not spent playing games, but when I do play (and now that I have a more proficient PC I plan to dive into my Steam backlog) it could be anything from BF3 to Skyrim to Starcraft 2.

You should stop that, it's carpal tunnel waiting to happen. Always move your mouse from the elbow.

Antagon

Yeah, going to go home on the cabling tonight with tie wraps and double sided tape. Going to see if I can get in the second case fan as well, though it might actually block the airflow from the vents to the CPU. I think I can free up the current fan enough with some patience, I'm guessing that making it pull air out of the case would be the most efficient?
If that's not enough, a 1U cpu cooler should give me about half a cm of extra space between the fan and hdd.

The case fan is PWM controlled, but even at max speeds should be nearly silent. The CPU fan is temperature controlled, but only seems to have two stances (one that I can define and when it gets too hot it goes to max).

Cabling made a decent difference, seems to hover between 55 and 60 now. Still want to get it a bit cooler, so might just replace the stock cpu cooler with a 1u version. That should give me about 1 cm of space between HDD and fan.

TGMIII

Deathadder or WMO 3.0a are still the best mice I've used for gaming.

So Ivy Bridge then, what sort of increase of power are we talking about, 5%-15%? I'd love to just go all out with the launch of IB/Kepler and build a monster.

Hi Everyone,

This thread is such a huge help! I am having some problems with my newly built PC. I can not pass Intel Burn Test or Prime 95 at stocks speeds! (I have been trying to make sure it was 100% stable for OCing) In addition any game I play crashes after a few minutes into it. I have run memtest86 to see if that may be the issue but it ran for 19 hours without an error. I had run it previously and it had a few errors but I reseated the ram and everything seems OK. Could it still be the ram? I took out the video card for now and am just using the IGPU. I fail the tests after like 1st run finishes. I have a 212+ for cooling and real temp says that my temps are at about 20-30ish idle and mid 40s under load until it crashes(IIRC) Here are my specs

Intel Core i5-2500K Processor
ASUS P8Z68-V LX
Corsair Vengeance 16 GB ( 4 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz
EVGA GeForce GTX560 Ti 448 Cores FTW 1280 MB
Crucial M4 64 GB
Windows 7 Home Premium
Corsair 750W PS
LG BR Drive
I also have a fan controller hooked (sentry touch screen) My hyper cooler has push pull fans plus 7 others in the case. It doesnt seem to be an over heating issue. I just want to RMA the whole thing at this point.

Any help would be so appreciated. I have had some software and hardware guys take a look at it they couldn't figure it out. I think it has to be either memory or Motherboard at this point. For what its worth doing medial tasks is just fine. (Web surfing etc) but the stress tests fail and games crash to desktop. All firmware etc has been updated.

Please help! :)

Jim

So as a follow up to this to this post I have found that all 4 sticks of memory in slot A1 will always fail the burn test. When in slot B1 they will pass the standard test. When I put it memory into A2 and B2 I get a lot of problems with the memok! button and it wont let me manually change the ram timings. Once I get into Windows (though it is severely underclocked usually unless I get it to work somehow) It crashes during the stress test. I have some new memory showing up today to try and test. Does this just should like a bad Motherboard? The additional wrinkle is that I am running an OEM copy of Windows 7 and I am not sure if I can get it activated on a replacement board. Anyone have any experience with that?

Ugh. Building this was supposed to be fun. Now its one head ache after the next. I appreciate all the help though guys!

Best,

Jim

Amory

I ordered a 550w power supply even though I guess I'm not sure yet which mid-range GPU i'll be buying. Should I cancel the power supply until I order the GPU, or should it be enough regardless?

longdi

Banned
g700 is the only mouse you need!
i love the material used, just smooth plastic and textured thumb rest, no melty rubber.
Dont diss the buttons, they are great for internet browsing with one hand, freeing up the other for other pleasures.

1-D_FTW

I ordered a 550w power supply even though I guess I'm not sure yet which mid-range GPU i'll be buying. Should I cancel the power supply until I order the GPU, or should it be enough regardless?

As long as it's a quality psu, that's fine for a mid range gpu.

No one hated wireless mice more than me. The crap days of wireless mice are over. The G700 owns.
These days im more surprised by the lack of decent wireless keyboards with REASONABLE prices. Wireless keyboards with trackpads should be the norm. Logitech has one at 38 but the build quality seems low and it doesn't have backlit keys.

G700 is a sweet mouse but way too expensive.

Double D

Well, after a night with my very first custom built PC I can say that I'm really happy with the way everything turned out. I'll admit, there was a while there where I was adding up what I was spending and wondering if I should just go get something pre-built, but I powered through it and came away a better person.

I had watched the newegg video in the OP about how to build the machine, and was surprised to see how much nicer my motherboard (Asrock z68 Gen3) was compared to those. It's got the power and reset switch right there along with a temp gauge. It just looks really cool, too.

On of the first things I did was install steam and downloaded some of my games. I had Just Cause 2 maxed out at 1920 x 1200 and running smooth. Metro 2033 ran nearly maxed out at that resolution, but I had to disable tesselation and DOF. Anyways, I'm just really happy with everything and wanted to say thanks to the OP and whomever else helped me out along the way.

scogoth

These days im more surprised by the lack of decent wireless keyboards with REASONABLE prices. Wireless keyboards with trackpads should be the norm. Logitech has one at 38 but the build quality seems low and it doesn't have backlit keys.

G700 is a sweet mouse but way too expensive.

I despise all things wireless not just because of the latency issues they used to have but because I hate having batteries. I never move any of my peripherals and my desk is setup to hide all the wires so batteries are an unnecessary hassle for me.

And the reason nobody makes trackpads is because they are far less precise than a mouse.

mkenyon

Banned
These days im more surprised by the lack of decent wireless keyboards with REASONABLE prices. Wireless keyboards with trackpads should be the norm.
No NKRO, plus added input lag. This is total insanity. If this thread were in the NeoOfficeAgeForums, I could see where you were coming from. Even then though, my office keyboard is a cherry red in PS/2 mode.
This is the combo that I love so much. Finally no lag. And no cable drag. Once you start getting used to that, there's no going back to chords.
The lag is there. Also, I have defeated cable drag as well. Mouse under wire rack, cord is zip-tied at the perfect length to suspend the cable in the air. Old pic of setup to help you understand:

r6UIgm.jpg

Check out the CM Storm Spawn or Xornet. The claw grip suits your style of use. They're both amazing mice too.
This is what you want. Leopold is amazing quality for the price. The guy I'm typing on right now is a fullsize Leopold cherry red.

1-D_FTW

No NKRO, plus added input lag. This is total insanity. If this thread were in the NeoOfficeAgeForums, I could see where you were coming from. Even then though, my office keyboard is a cherry red in PS/2 mode.

The lag is there. Also, I have defeated cable drag as well. Mouse under wire rack, cord is zip-tied at the perfect length to suspend the cable in the air. Old pic of setup to help you understand:

There may be lag, but it's: A.) Eons better than the old mice B.) a lot less laggy than the wireless 360 controller. I can feel the lag on that. Can't with the G700.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Farewell sweet prince dell 2711, I hardly knew ye. Time to put your littlebrother to the test in gaming. Let's see if those 1~ ms input lag claims are true. No more fraudulent screenshots from me :'(

Well, after a night with my very first custom built PC I can say that I'm really happy with the way everything turned out. I'll admit, there was a while there where I was adding up what I was spending and wondering if I should just go get something pre-built, but I powered through it and came away a better person.

I had watched the newegg video in the OP about how to build the machine, and was surprised to see how much nicer my motherboard (Asrock z68 Gen3) was compared to those. It's got the power and reset switch right there along with a temp gauge. It just looks really cool, too.

On of the first things I did was install steam and downloaded some of my games. I had Just Cause 2 maxed out at 1920 x 1200 and running smooth. Metro 2033 ran nearly maxed out at that resolution, but I had to disable tesselation and DOF. Anyways, I'm just really happy with everything and wanted to say thanks to the OP and whomever else helped me out along the way.
Congrats! The satisfaction of building your own PC is amazing. I'm never buying a pre-built PC ever again.

ombz

I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but I bought a targus usb adapter and the software that came with it won't recognize the device.
Would the motherboard have anything to do with this?
I'm running windows 7 and I have a MSI P67A-C43 B3

scogoth

I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but I bought a targus usb adapter and the software that came with it won't recognize the device.
Would the motherboard have anything to do with this?
I'm running windows 7 and I have a MSI P67A-C43 B3

usb adapter for what.

So I just killed my CPU and possibly my motherboard (very likely, since it was smoking) over the weekend playing with some air cooled OCing. RIP, served me marvelously since Nov 2009, guess it was time. Wife thinks I did it on purpose to have a reason to upgrade, LOL!!!!

Does it make sense to go from X58 with i7 920 to X79 with i7 3930k, or should I just plunge into the mainstream and go for a Z68 with a i5 2500k?

Edit: it looks like I was premature in my diagnosis. The motherboard failed at some cube looking plastic thing with LZ 1R1 printed on it. It's an ASRock board btw. So, I am thinking I just get a new x58 board and keep on rocking my i7 920

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Does it make sense to go from X58 with i7 920 to X79 with i7 3930k, or should I just plunge into the mainstream and go for a Z68 with a i5 2500k?

For gaming? Nah.

On another note, going from 2560x1440 to 1920x1080 has halved my gpus usage by 50% in practically every game I've tried so far. I guess rendering twice the amount of pixels really puts the gpu to work lol.

Aeana

My Gigabyte 560ti just died for the second time and I am finding it impossible to get through to Gigabyte's support (and their RMA site is down). Were I to buy a new card, what's currently being recommended for that tier of performance? Is it still the 560Ti, or has something better shown up yet?

Diomedes

Had to chime in on mice. After building my new PC I was trying out several mice; tried a G500, a deathadder and found a Roccat Kone+ on NCIX and went for it. After trying all three for a while the kone is the only one that I really am happy with. The G500 had a great scroll wheel which I miss dearly but even loaded with weight still felt too light and all the paint wore off at contact points. The deathadder just felt terrible, the texture or plasticy-ness of it threw me off and I had to send it back; seemed like they spent more packaging it than on quality.

The kone feels great in the hand, has a nice texture and heft, the lights are nice but not obtrusive and can be turned off, and the software is extremely customizable and updated often. The cord is not braided, the sensor can be finicky if your surface is not great, and I have an issue with the scroll wheel not working properly (jumps in the opposite direction of scroll) but I still love it.

The Hermit

So, I want to upgrade my PC ( everything, both GPU and CPU) but I just read that Intel is about to launch the 3rd generation (Ivy Bridge) .

Since I am also waiting for Nvidia card ( even if its not that good, it may drop the price on the new AMD cards), what would be the wisest choice: get a i5 2500k now and then upgrade the GPU or get everything new later?

mkenyon

Banned
So, I want to upgrade my PC ( everything, both GPU and CPU) but I just read that Intel is about to launch the 3rd generation (Ivy Bridge) .

Since I am also waiting for Nvidia card ( even if its not that good, it may drop the price on the new AMD cards), what would be the wisest choice: get a i5 2500k now and then upgrade the GPU or get everything new later?
Up to you. Ivy Bridge will be about a 15% jump in performance, but we don't really know what that will translate to in games that are mostly GPU bottle-necked. 2500K is still a total monster. If you can wait, wait. If you can't, you *probably* won't miss out on too much.

1-D_FTW

That i3 2120 is a hilarious little chip. The ease with which it redlines my GTX 460 at 99 percent utilization is crazy. It's beginning to look at me with disdain. It wants to stretch its legs and I can't do it.

Shambles

Not a big jump but an increase is an increase. I'm mostly waiting on GPUs and SSDs to become more reasonable for my build anyways. If I bought sandy bridge i sure wouldn't be feeling bad about it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom