• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

bro1

Banned
One of the best things about amazon is their return policy. As in you can send anything back just about, and they provide the shipping costs. Be careful with overusing it though since I have heard stories of them just closing down accounts that always send to much stuff back.

yeah, you can't abuse it that's for sure!

bro1

Banned
I can Alt Tab out but the desktop is all black, I just have the start bar which I can then restart. the music plays in the background. So annoying, especially for a paranoid PC gamer like myself. I always think my hardware is broken.

I'm thinking of picking up this monitor today GAF at best buy...good choice?

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=4964388&pid=1218586474516

I'm pretty sure that I've seen the U2312HM for as low as that before.

Which brings me to a question that I've been debating. Want a new monitor as my syncmaster 2433 is annoying the fuck out of me with it's backlight bleed. Want to go 16:9 this time as well since I mostly use the computer for gaming these days and it is a better resolution for it. Anyone have a U2312HM that can tell me if it has any backlight bleed and how noticeable the response time is on it?

The other monitor I have been looking at is the BenQ XL2420T for 120hz. I know it will be better for gaming, but don't know if it is worth around twice the cost of the dells. And if a newer version of it will be out soon since I think Benq just put out a 144hz monitor in one of their lower series. Know the difference in image quality between the ips of the dells and tn of the benq, and that does play a factor in my choice, but since it will primarily used for gaming it isn't the main selling point.

j-wood

The dell there has an 8ms response time while the Asus has a 5...isn't the Asus better?

Should I also be trying g to go for an IPS monitor?

CountertopTable

Neo Member

Which brings me to a question that I've been debating. Want a new monitor as my syncmaster 2433 is annoying the fuck out of me with it's backlight bleed. Want to go 16:9 this time as well since I mostly use the computer for gaming these days and it is a better resolution for it. Anyone have a U2312HM that can tell me if it has any backlight bleed and how noticeable the response time is on it?

The other monitor I have been looking at is the BenQ XL2420T for 120hz. I know it will be better for gaming, but don't know if it is worth around twice the cost of the dells. And if a newer version of it will be out soon since I think Benq just put out a 144hz monitor in one of their lower series. Know the difference in image quality between the ips of the dells and tn of the benq, and that does play a factor in my choice, but since it will primarily used for gaming it isn't the main selling point.

I have used a Dell U2312HM for years without any problems. Just turn the Dynamic Contrast ratio off and you are good to go. I just use the presets like standard for web browsing, etc... and then switch to game mode for games. I personally do not notice any ghosting or response time issues compared to a TN panel. My previous monitor was a Asus VH236H TN panel and there is no way I will ever go back to a TN panel after using an IPS. Difference is night and day with color quality and viewing angles. No backlight bleed on my model. Input lag is very low on the U2312HM which imo is more important then pixel response time.

The only con to me is the lack of an HDMI port for console use but I just plug in my PC through the Displayport and use a HDMI to DVI cable for console use.

garath

Or how about this guy? It's an LG 23inch IPS monitor. I can get it price matched for $209

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG---23"-IPS-LED-HD-Monitor/7979101.p?id=1218863186104&skuId=7979101

Are you deadset on IPS? Is this for gaming? IPS has better picture quality but the TN monitors are faster and generally better for gaming.

This is the monitor I have.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BZNDS0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

2ms response, the picture is gorgeous. The size is fantastic. I moved from a 1680x1050 monitor to this and am really happy with it.

Input lag is very low on the U2312HM which imo is more important then pixel response time.

Yeah, read the tftcentral review on it so know about it's really good input lag. Even if they use a flawed method it is still under a frame, just want to make sure about the backlight bleed and ghosting. Still the 120 hz of the benq is tempting. May just end up with 2 of the dells for either side of the benq or something.

The dell there has an 8ms response time while the Asus has a 5...isn't the Asus better?

Should I also be trying g to go for an IPS monitor?

IPS vs TN can be a personal preference. There isn't any 120hz ips panels, and they normally have a higher response time then TN. They make up for it with their image quality and viewing angles.

Yusaku

I'm dipping my toes in water cooling with a Corsair H100i kit and a Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 case.

I need some help wrapping my head around planning for airflow. Corsair recommends using the fans on the radiator as an intake. Should I put the radiator in the front where the intake would normally be and have it exhaust out the top/back, or put the radiator on top and switch the front case fans to exhaust?

Here's what the Arc Midi R2 looks like:

KQBOGJc.jpg

j-wood

Are you deadset on IPS? Is this for gaming? IPS has better picture quality but the TN monitors are faster and generally better for gaming.

2ms response, the picture is gorgeous. The size is fantastic. I moved from a 1680x1050 monitor to this and am really happy with it.

I'm not deadset on IPS at all, i just thought that was better lol. Right now I have an Acer X223w (max res is 1680x1050). This monitor is for gaming yes.

I mainly want a good 1080p monitor that won't break the bank (and preferably that I could get today in store, not crazy about shipping a monitor). Right now I'm torn between the LG IPS i linked earlier and this asus monitor at bestbuy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+...lack/4964388.p?id=1218586474516&skuId=4964388

nbthedude

This is partially a Steam question, partially a New PC question so I wasn't sure where it went.

I just helped a friend of mine pick out the parts for his new (first) PC, which I will be helping him put together when I visit him in May.

He has already acquired a pretty sizable Steam library through games he has bought via his laoptop anticipating his new PC, games I've gifted him, and games that came free with his new 6950.

So here is the question:

Is there any way for him to download some of this content now and then quickly transfer it over to his new PC when he gets it? He has a bandwidth cap and not a particularly fast internet, so it would be very advantageous if he could gradually download some of this stuff over the course of the next month.

I'm going to pick up a Bluetooth USB dongle for a keyboard, mouse, Wiimote/Classic controller (I'm going to try to get that to work), and possibly a headset. All brands are basically the same right? I should just look for one with 4.0?

t-ramp

This is partially a Steam question, partially a New PC question so I wasn't sure where it went.

I just helped a friend of mine pick out the parts for his new (first) PC, which I will be helping him put together when I visit him in May.

He has already acquired a pretty sizable Steam library through games he has bought via his laoptop anticipating his new PC, games I've gifted him, and games that came free with his new 6950.

So here is the question:

Is there any way for him to download some of this content now and then quickly transfer it over to his new PC when he gets it? He has a bandwidth cap and not a particularly fast internet, so it would be very advantageous if he could gradually download some of this stuff over the course of the next month.
I just download Steam + the game(s) I want at school or work and then transfer the entire Steam folder to my desktop PC. Works fine.

Sorral

This is also what I have. I think I bought it from newegg because they had a promotion on it and cheaper than amazon. Right now, it seems amazon got the best price for it plus free shipping.

Aside from the backlight leak(kinda hard to notice anyway), it is great and worth the price. No regrets.

I'm not deadset on IPS at all, i just thought that was better lol. Right now I have an Acer X223w (max res is 1680x1050). This monitor is for gaming yes.

I mainly want a good 1080p monitor that won't break the bank (and preferably that I could get today in store, not crazy about shipping a monitor). Right now I'm torn between the LG IPS i linked earlier and this asus monitor at bestbuy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+...lack/4964388.p?id=1218586474516&skuId=4964388

If you are going to game, my recommendation is to play it safe and get the Asus one over the LG IPS. The VS247H-P is the one we have. Have you checked the OP for monitors?

I just download Steam + the game(s) I want at school or work and then transfer the entire Steam folder to my desktop PC. Works fine.

Awesome, didn't know that! Now that will save me a huge amount of time because I got a lot of my steam games already downloaded on my laptop. Parts for my new PC arrive before the weekend.

mkenyon

Banned

The ASUS 144Hz in the OP has the same panel as the BenQ 144Hz monitor. It can be had for $300 right now. Well worth it.
I'm dipping my toes in water cooling with a Corsair H100i kit and a Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 case.

I need some help wrapping my head around planning for airflow. Corsair recommends using the fans on the radiator as an intake. Should I put the radiator in the front where the intake would normally be and have it exhaust out the top/back, or put the radiator on top and switch the front case fans to exhaust?

Here's what the Arc Midi R2 looks like:
Internal case temperature isn't that different from external temperature. It is higher if you have a radiator as intake, though. All of the heat from you CPU will essentially be dissipated inside of your case.

Use the stock fans as intake, and then the H100 mounted on the top as exhaust.

The ASUS 144Hz in the OP has the same panel as the BenQ 144Hz monitor. It can be had for $300 right now. Well worth it.

Yeah, kinda wondering if benq are going to put out that 144hz panel in their xl2420 series soon since I prefer the other things that come with the benq, like the stand. Guess I'll just hold out till I make my next build when haswell comes out.

nbthedude

So you installed Steam and then literally just deleted the Steam folder and copy and pasted?

How did you transfer, btw? Over a Lan or External Harddrive?

Zero Hero

Current computer:
AMD X2 3800+
2gb DDR
ASRock mobo
HD6850

Just bought:
BooJGjB.png

I'm going to still use the 6850 for now and upgrade that when it becomes the bottleneck.
Why AMD? I took the money saved from the price of the i7 3770 and bought the motherboard.

t-ramp

So you installed Steam and then literally just deleted the Steam folder and copy and pasted?

How did you transfer, btw? Over a Lan or External Harddrive?
Yeah. I have a 32GB microSD card in my phone that I've used to transfer separate Steam installations with Skyrim, Hitman: Absolution, and BioShock: Infinite recently.

MedIC86

Anyone here has a 21:9 screen and is using it for gaming? the dell one looks pretty awesome. Im not sure how many games are supported (i've seen quiet a few they use in reviews tho, WoW, bf3, etc)

mkenyon

Banned
Crosspost from the Alienware X51 thread. The Ibuypower Revolt is looking like the system to beat right now. Very capable little machine at a really good price. It's not even that much more than building your own.

Thoughts on the Revolt

Aspects better than X51
  • 500W PSU
  • Unlocked processor
  • Extremely capable CPU cooler
  • Much higher performance

Aspects worse than X51
  • Extremely hard to work on
  • Flimsy case materials that can break when opening the case if you aren't careful

Bottom Line
It's a lot more capable than the X51 in just about every aspect. Being able to overclock the processor is huge. There are a very large number of games that are CPU bottlenecked due entirely to frequency. UE3, Source, Blizzard games, among others all like really speedy cores.

The drawback to this is that you have to basically disassemble the entire system in order to upgrade anything, even something as simple as the memory. If you aren't careful during this process, it's really easy to break something.

Given the fact that it has an unlocked CPU and can come from the factory with a card like the 670, and you can have an SSD + HDD installed would push me to suggest this as the way to go over the X51.​

Personal preference. Plus the PS4 and Nextbox are using AMD.
Personal preference on worse performance, lack of PCI-E 3.0, and higher power consumption?

skyrim-99th.gif

skyrim-beyond-16.gif

arkham-99th.gif

arkham-beyond-50.gif

crysis-99th.gif

crysis-beyond-50.gif

If it's not too late, I'd return it.

Sorral

Wow, I am surprised that it is even lower than i3.
That i5 3470 still looks good for me though seeing as I am getting a H77 MB anyway.

kharma45

Yeah, they're not good gaming processors.

Absolutely killer value for multimedia creation and workstation tasks though.

At present I agree but look at the FPS (yes I know, FPS) benches for CPUs with Crysis 3 and Far Cry 3 and AMD's CPUs are right at the top of the chart. I'm hoping it bodes well for the future for them if games start to take advantage of multiple threads properly.

mkenyon

Banned
You're right, they have consistently inconsistent frame times which helps bump up their average in a nearly meaningless benchmark standard!

:p

kharma45

It might not be as bad with newer games. I hope PCPer or Anandtech follows up on Tech Reports CPU latency tests as whilst I don't doubt their findings a) it'd be nice to have others verify their findings and have it peer reviewed and b) have some more modern games that have been released since test.

mkenyon

Banned
I'm right with you, I'd love to have the choice of AMD or Intel for a gaming CPU. I have a really soft spot in my heart for AMD, and even buy their fusion products to support the concept :p

But as it is, with the price difference between a 8350 vs. a 3570K being as minimal as it is, there's just no justifiable reason to pick it as a gaming CPU.

scogoth

Anyone know if a internal male USB3.0 header to internal female USB2.0 exists? I can make one but would be nicer to just buy one. I've seen usb2 male to usb3 female from silverstone which is close but opposite from what I want

iavi

techreport said:
The session ended with a couple of sneak peeks. First up, folks from Crytek and Illfonic gave a quick preview of a project they're working on for AMD: a new graphics demo featuring the "Ruby" character whose real-time demos used to headline each Radeon launch. The new Ruby demo will use CryEngine and TressFX, and it will be directed by Hollywood director Simon West, who did The Expendables 2, among other films. Ruby looks very different—she's clearly been rebooted. Unfortunately, the demo was too short and quick for us to snag any decent pictures of this work in progress. Judging by the current state of things, we'd wager it's being prepared for the launch of the new generation of GPUs due at the end of 2013.

S:http://techreport.com/review/24592/amd-touts-unified-gaming-strategy

Cryengine 3 + tressfx. Give me NOW.

Threi

notag
Anyone know if a internal male USB3.0 header to internal female USB2.0 exists? I can make one but would be nicer to just buy one. I've seen usb2 male to usb3 female from silverstone which is close but opposite from what I want
It exists, try calling up a major case maker (antec, cooler master, corsair) to send you one.

kharma45

I'm right with you, I'd love to have the choice of AMD or Intel for a gaming CPU. I have a really soft spot in my heart for AMD, and even buy their fusion products to support the concept :p

But as it is, with the price difference between a 8350 vs. a 3570K being as minimal as it is, there's just no justifiable reason to pick it as a gaming CPU.

I think the 8320 makes an alright case for itself but when it comes to the 8350 vs 3570K the Intel is the clear choice.

I hope the new consoles give their finances a boost so they can up their R&D and hopefully make good improvements.

Dave_6

Now that I have decided that I am going with the MPower for a mobo, I can't decide which cooler I want. The Hyper 212 or the H60?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom