• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_6

Yeah that does look sweet. Would it make any difference performance or cooling wise that I am using an R4 with a non-reference Sapphire GPU?

mkenyon

Banned
They're about equal in terms of performance. H60 will cool a bit more, but will not give you access to OC levels that the 212 can't.

Dave_6

Everyone does seem to be raving about the R4, I've heard some negative things about the quality of the build on the case though.

Would I be able to fit a h100i into the case?

I've got an R4 and it is super nice and very high quality.

Guess I will go with the 212 EVO for a cooler. I need to be saving $$$ any where I can with this build without skimping too much.

Katyusha

I must have been the only one that got a "bad" R4. The side panels don't slide in well, thanks to being bent and the top where the fans are mounted flexes a bit when I press down on it slightly, but other than that the case is fine.

kyongwon

Banned
just got a good deal on the 670 ftw:

IBZzEna.jpg

LegendX48

Alright, I've already posted here a bunch about doing this and right now I'm pretty much gearing up to buy my intel stuff next week.

Current specs:

Antec 750 watt psu
Asus M5A97 AM3+ mobo
AMD Phenom II X4 965
Sapphire HD 7950
Corsair XMS3 4gb DDR3 ram
2 500gb WD HDDs

And here's what I plan to pick up:

MSI Z77A-G45 Motherboard
i7 3770k
Corsair XMS3 8gb DDR3 ram

I already own the CM Hyper 212+ and plan to overclock the cpu but aside from that, is there anything I should change?

That aside, I intend to build another pc for my cousin with my soon to be replaced mobo/cpu/ram and here's the parts I picked out for him.

Corsair 500 watt PSU
MSI HD 7770
LG DVD/CD drive/burner
WD 500gb HDD
...and a copy of Windows 7

anything I should change there as well?

kharma45

Alright, I've already posted here a bunch about doing this and right now I'm pretty much gearing up to buy my intel stuff next week.

Current specs:

Antec 750 watt psu
Asus M5A97 AM3+ mobo
AMD Phenom II X4 965
Sapphire HD 7950
2 500gb WD HDDs

MSI Z77A-G45 Motherboard
i7 3770k

I already own the CM Hyper 212+ and plan to overclock the cpu but aside from that, is there anything I should change?

That aside, I intend to build another pc for my cousin with my soon to be replaced mobo/cpu/ram and here's the parts I picked out for him.

Corsair 500 watt PSU
MSI HD 7770
LG DVD/CD drive/burner
WD 500gb HDD

What are you getting the i7 for? Just gaming?

Are you limited to buying from Tiger Direct?

kharma45

Gaming and heavy photoshop use. Also, buying from Tiger because they don't charge tax lol

Stick with the i7 then as you probably already know.

Ha fair enough. I'd change a few things though with your cousin's build. If he can live without a modular PSU change it to this 550W XFX. It's a fair bit more than what you were budgeting but dropping the DVD drive (which isn't really needed any more) you could get the 750w XFX Gold unit. It's hugely overkill but it's a fantastic PSU and Tiger don't offer the 650w Seasonic version.

One of the guys on here Koroviev is selling a 650 Ti for $110, would be a better buy than the 7770. Tiger has them for $120. Free game with AMD is a good deal though too, it's a tempting option but I'd go for the more powerful GPU myself.

LegendX48

Stick with the i7 then as you probably already know.

Ha fair enough. I'd change a few things though with your cousin's build. If he can live without a modular PSU change it to this 550W XFX. It's a fair bit more than what you were budgeting but dropping the DVD drive (which isn't really needed any more) you could get the 750w XFX Gold unit. It's hugely overkill but it's a fantastic PSU and Tiger don't offer the 650w Seasonic version.

One of the guys on here Koroviev is selling a 650 Ti for $110, would be a better buy than the 7770. Tiger has them for $120. Free game with AMD is a good deal though too, it's a tempting option but I'd go for the more powerful GPU myself.

a 650ti for $110? hmm, I'll have to talk to him about it first but that sounds pretty good. as for the psu, modular may be better since it'll be going into my old Rosewill destroyer case

Like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231638

Or if you don't want the extra cost, then yeah, any 1600MHz 1.5V/1.35V will be fine.

yeah that's a little too much, I'm trying to keep the overall cost below $514 for my stuff

kharma45

a 650ti for $110? hmm, I'll have to talk to him about it first but that sounds pretty good. as for the psu, modular may be better since it'll be going into my old Rosewill destroyer case

I'm not sure what model it is he has, or even if he still has it, but fire him a PM to see as it's a better buy than the 7770. Even that one on Tiger for $120 is a better buy that I linked.

j-wood

So I ended up going with the LG IPS monitor...so far it seems amazing.

I set the picture mode to "game" which seems to make the colors way more vibrant. When the mode is set to anything other than game, it seems to be similar to my other monitor picture wise.

So since this is actually a computer monitor, the game mode shouldn't be reducing processing and whatnot right?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member

Uhh... lol.

Holy crap, I've only had this thing for six months. Oh man. I need a desk, this thing is like six inches off the carpet. No wonder it started making this weird fan noise.

Current specs:

Antec 750 watt psu
Asus M5A97 AM3+ mobo
AMD Phenom II X4 965
Sapphire HD 7950
2 500gb WD HDDs

MSI Z77A-G45 Motherboard
i7 3770k

Corsair 500 watt PSU
MSI HD 7770
LG DVD/CD drive/burner
WD 500gb HDD

Unless you are planning to use Crossfire with that system you really don't need a 500W PSU. System should be in ~200W range in typical load conditions, perhaps sometimes coming close to 250W. 350W, quality brand would be just fine, 400W if the GPU might be replaced with sth. more powerful (and power hungry) in 2 or 3 years, 450W if you are planning to OC.

bro1

Banned
Am I the only one who thinks every little graphical glitch or hiccup means there pc is about to break or they have a bad part?

bro1

Banned
Unless you are planning to use Crossfire with that system you really don't need a 500W PSU. System should be in ~200W range in typical load conditions, perhaps sometimes coming close to 250W. 350W, quality brand would be just fine, 400W if the GPU might be replaced with sth. more powerful (and power hungry) in 2 or 3 years, 450W if you are planning to OC.
Go with a high quality 500 or 600 watt psu for piece of mind and future upgrades

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Nice!! The fan guard just popped off and I ran a vacuum over it. This case fucking rules.

Sorral

So my budget increased for my PC and I can get a SSD now.
I know this SanDisk Extreme or this SanDisk Ultra Plus aren't one of the two recommended in the OP because I want to use the money difference for a better full ATX motherboard(from an ASRock H77M to a Z77 Pro3.)
Because of which, I will also grab an i5 3570k as well instead of 3470.

Sounds good? Would leave to hear a second opinion. Already ordered everything else but the three parts above.
For reference all the parts: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/O1Yj

It looks like it ate your floor.

lol it does indeed.

Sorral

Does that RAM mhz make a difference in speed? I think I have 1066 or 1333?

The one I got in that setup? Not much to be meaningful for most people on normal use. I wanted it because the price difference isn't much and it was on a combo with the GPU for a slightly cheaper price (about $45 I think.)

Edit: From the OP, a much better way to put it.
Speed and latency for RAM (e.g. 1333 9-9-9-24 vs 1666 8-8-8-24) is not a big deal. In many cases it is just 1-4% difference. 1333Mhz DDR3 is perfectly fine for most. Save your money unless a sale is on, our you want to buy neat looking RAM. Just make sure the tall RAM heatsinks don't block your CPU heatsink!
4GB is enough for gaming. 8GB if you do a lot of multitasking or video work.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
It looks like it ate your floor.
Tell me about it. I keep it up on that slab of marble in the picture. I thinks it's just my unhygienic cat and all her dander. Either way it's disgusting. I still haven't got a proper monitor yet so it's just sitting next to my tv very low to the ground.

Firestorm

My cousin's video card is apparently acting up and she's looking to upgrade. Has a 5770 and Corsair CX400. What'd be a good upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom