• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smidget

When are the new generation of video cards coming out? I have a 6870, thinking about a 7950, but with things running relatively smoothly at 1080p in most games at medium to high settings, not sure if its worth it quite yet. Or will the new generation just only be for enthuiasts for a prolonged time? Wanting to spend ~$300 or less.

You could have just used start8. I've been using w8 for a month or so now on my machine which is 98 percent gaming. I have not had any problems, save for my 363d headphone drivers but sennheiser has already contacted me and said a update for w8 will be out shortly. I'm not using start8 but apparently it makes navigation much easier. I've already adjusted to the new ui tho and have it setup to my liking tho.

Yeah, I realize I could have probably spent a bunch of time configuring it to my tastes - and I tried to like it, I gave it a few hours - but by that point I was pretty disgusted with it. It's painfully obvious that half of the UI was designed for touch screens, which is just embarrassing for Microsoft to release this as their new PC OS. I don't want a f'ing app store on my PC, and I don't care what is trending at the moment....

The good news is, I pretty much have my new box up and running. I'll make a celebratory post in the next couple days.

kharma45

When are the new generation of video cards coming out? I have a 6870, thinking about a 7950, but with things running relatively smoothly at 1080p in most games at medium to high settings, not sure if its worth it quite yet. Or will the new generation just only be for enthuiasts for a prolonged time? Wanting to spend ~$300 or less.

Q4 2013.

Can some of you look over this build below and let me know if everything is compatible or suggestions to reduce cost a little. This is a rig for a co-worker that wants to be able to play most games off his HDTV at 60fps with high settings.

Thanks!

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner

EVGA 03G-P4-3668-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti FTW+ 3GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card Item

CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply Item #: N82E16817139028Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

G-Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Item #: N82E16820231314

ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS Item #: N82E16813131837Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K Item #: N82E16819116504Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy

Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit (Full Version) - OEM Item #: N82E16832416550Return Policy: Software Standard Return Policy

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel ... Item #: N82E16835103099Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

Where are the parts coming from, Newegg?

Yeah, I realize I could have probably spent a bunch of time configuring it to my tastes - and I tried to like it, I gave it a few hours - but by that point I was pretty disgusted with it. It's painfully obvious that half of the UI was designed for touch screens, which is just embarrassing for Microsoft to release this as their new PC OS. I don't want a f'ing app store on my PC, and I don't care what is trending at the moment....

The good news is, I pretty much have my new box up and running. I'll make a celebratory post in the next couple days.

Damn, you really did give it a good go.

Again, you could've taken 5 minutes to install something like Classic Shell or a paid-for option like Start8 and still had a better experience than Windows 7 offers.

Demon Ice

Banned
Heads up, Newegg's daily shell shocker deal thing for today is pretty good, 8 GB (4 GB x 2 sticks) set of Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM for $46.

@A.Romero: Make sure Extreme AA isn't turned on in Sleeping Dogs, that enables full SSAA. A 7950 will do great at 1080p in that game with every other option maxed but AA at the "High" option.

Sorral

Could you link me to the posts about the Pro3 just for reference? Cheers.

PSU wise if there is a lot of hassle etc just stick with the Corsair, you'll not be using anywhere near its full capacity with that set up, even with overclocking you'll only be around 300-350w at most.

The only thing I would look at is the case, the forum posts I found on it basically say it's cheap for a reason. NZXT Source 210 could be an option if you want cheap but don't want to spend say $60+ on one.

I found these two threads at least:
http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/50022-unable-overclock-properly-asrock-z77-pro3.html
http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/49807-asrock-z75-pro3-cpu-throttle-problems-2.html

There are varied opinions in the threads, but I kinda felt it was somewhat of a red flag and it isn't worth the headache later especially since this is my first go at my OC'ing, so the E4 is actually worth the extra price now. You will probably get a more definite answer from knowing more about what they were doing than I do.
There is also this thread with 19 pages about OC'ing with an AS Rock Z68 Pro3 and one guy on the last page had his at 5.0Ghz.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1044413/asrock-z68-pro-3-overclock-help/180

I agree that the NZXT Source is a lot better than the one I got. But I completely forgot about it when when my budget was about $250 or so smaller than right now and the one I got was on a promotion. If it is pretty bad(didn't seem so from the newegg reviews), I will see if I can refuse receiving the shipment, but right now I am already over my planned budget.

kharma45

I found these two threads at least:
http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/50022-unable-overclock-properly-asrock-z77-pro3.html
http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/49807-asrock-z75-pro3-cpu-throttle-problems-2.html

There are varied opinions in the threads, but I kinda felt it was somewhat of a red flag and it isn't worth the headache later especially since this is my first go at my OC'ing, so the E4 is actually worth the extra price now. You will probably get a more definite answer from knowing more about what they were doing than I do.
There is also this thread with 19 pages about OC'ing with an AS Rock Z68 Pro3 and one guy on the last page had his at 5.0Ghz.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1044413/asrock-z68-pro-3-overclock-help/180

I agree that the NZXT Source is a lot better than the one I got. But I completely forgot about it when when my budget was about $250 or so smaller than right now and the one I got was on a promotion. If it is pretty bad(didn't seem so from the newegg reviews), I will see if I can refuse receiving the shipment, but right now I am already over my planned budget.

Thanks for the links, I appreciate them. I've my 2500K up to 4.2GHz with the Z75 Pro3 (haven't bothered to push it any further) so I was interested to see what sort of problems people were having, what socket they were using (whether it be the same Z75 I have, the Z68 or the Z77) and what CPUs too. It was something I wasn't aware of myself beforehand but truth be told I'd have probably taken the risk anyway as the board was such a good price here in the UK.

Yeah stick to your budget if you can, I know I'm probably not helping much but it is important despite other options to retain some sense of budget, otherwise you end up like me with my 'budget' rig turning into one that is twice the price :p

MedIC86

Does anyone here have experience in gaming on 2560x1080 (like the dell 2913wm)?
Im very interested by it, looks very awesome.

kharma45

Does anyone here have experience in gaming on 2560x1080 (like the dell 2913wm)?
Im very interested by it, looks very awesome.

I'm not aware of anyone that has it but I hope someone does but I just don't know as it looks to be an awesome monitor as you say.

Hawk269

Q4 2013.

Where are the parts coming from, Newegg?

Damn, you really did give it a good go.

Again, you could've taken 5 minutes to install something like Classic Shell or a paid-for option like Start8 and still had a better experience than Windows 7 offers.

Yes, parts are coming from Newegg.

Hawk269

The criticism was right - Windows 8 is a burning plane crash of UI and design. I figured how bad could it be? I thought Metro would maybe be a nice UI for my comfy couch Steambox. Oh god...... It's like somebody duct taped an iPad to my PC. And I love how I always have to sign in with my Microsoft account, you know, just so they have my credit card on tap 24/7 for their App store! Lovely. As I tried to shut down this piece of shit in rage, I then realized it took me 3 minutes just to figure out where the button was.

God awful. (Task Manager is pretty sweet though)

Thankfully Amazon is awesome and took my return, and for now I'll just use my Windows 7 disc until I can pick up another key.

k. I'm done....

wow dude. I read a lot of hatred towards Win8, but damn yours is rough. A few hours to get use to a whole new OS is really not much time. But to each their own. It took me a while to get use to it, but now I love it. I mainly just go straight to desktop and like Smokey, my rig is 98% for pure gaming and Win8 has been actually pretty damn good. With a SSD it boots extremly fast and I have had no glaring issues. Some of the APP stuff is actually pretty good and useful, you just need to make the Metro the way you like it.

Also just got a Alienware Laptop custom configured with Win8 and it has been all kinds of win with it as well. No issues at all. It does take time to get use to Win8, but once you do it is pretty damn good.

kharma45

Yes, parts are coming from Newegg.

Thanks.

First thing is I would change that power supply. The CX models are nothing more than average units and you can do a lot better for the same price like this XFX 550w http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013 (it's cheaper elsewhere but since you've used all Newegg I shall too).

I would also change that GPU. The 7950 is a better buy and this Gigabyte is an excellent model for $300 plus BioShock Infinite and Crysis 3 for free - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125414 - Sapphire's Dual X is also very good for $285 but is OOS. If you wish to stick with Nvidia (say you need CUDA or wish to go for a mutli GPU set up) then change to this MSI Power Edition 660 Ti instead of the EVGA model http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127696

Sorral

Thanks for the links, I appreciate them. I've my 2500K up to 4.2GHz with the Z75 Pro3 (haven't bothered to push it any further) so I was interested to see what sort of problems people were having, what socket they were using (whether it be the same Z75 I have, the Z68 or the Z77) and what CPUs too. It was something I wasn't aware of myself beforehand but truth be told I'd have probably taken the risk anyway as the board was such a good price here in the UK.

Yeah stick to your budget if you can, I know I'm probably not helping much but it is important despite other options to retain some sense of budget, otherwise you end up like me with my 'budget' rig turning into one that is twice the price :p

No problem. So you just have it overclocked to 4.2ghz. The ones in the thread are going higher than that. Maybe that factors in and causes the throttling.

You did help a lot and I feel more comfortable with this build now than I was a few days ago, so thanks a lot! The Source case is still pretty damn tempting, but I think I need to stop myself because it is too much trouble to deal RMA/wait time. Also, it is so easy to just keep going up like you seem to have done...lol

Hawk269

Thanks.

First thing is I would change that power supply. The CX models are nothing more than average units and you can do a lot better for the same price like this XFX 550w http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013 (it's cheaper elsewhere but since you've used all Newegg I shall too).

I would also change that GPU. The 7950 is a better buy and this Gigabyte is an excellent model for $300 plus BioShock Infinite and Crysis 3 for free - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125414 - Sapphire's Dual X is also very good for $285 but is OOS. If you wish to stick with Nvidia (say you need CUDA or wish to go for a mutli GPU set up) then change to this MSI Power Edition 660 Ti instead of the EVGA model http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127696

Thanks for the suggestions...I will change the power supply. Sticking with Nvidia. The MSI Gpu is nice, but he wants to have 3g of Video Ram and that MSI model has 2gb.

kharma45

No problem. So you just have it overclocked to 4.2ghz. The ones in the thread are going higher than that. Maybe that factors in and causes the throttling.

You did help a lot and I feel more comfortable with this build now than I was a few days ago, so thanks a lot! The Source case is still pretty damn tempting, but I think I need to stop myself because it is too much trouble to deal RMA/wait time. Also, it is so easy to just keep going up like you seem to have done...lol

Yeah I'm going to push mine up to 4.5GHz when I'm next back at my uni house to see if mine throttles, which by the looks of it the motherboard will most likely do.

I'm glad to have been some help, just wish someone else would give it a look over too as I hate being solely responsible in case something were to go wrong and I'd be to blame :p I don't see what there is though that isn't up to par really, it's a very solid build you've put together.

kharma45

Thanks for the suggestions...I will change the power supply. Sticking with Nvidia. The MSI Gpu is nice, but he wants to have 3g of Video Ram and that MSI model has 2gb.

Ah crap I mis-read, I thought it was a 2GB you had posted, my mistake. Fair enough if you're wanting to stick with Nvidia. In that case change to either the MSI Twin Frozr 3 3GB model or the Gigabyte Windforce, both cheaper and better coolers

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127708

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125450

Sorral

Yeah I'm going to push mine up to 4.5GHz when I'm next back at my uni house to see if mine throttles, which by the looks of it the motherboard will most likely do.

I'm glad to have been some help, just wish someone else would give it a look over too as I hate being solely responsible in case something were to go wrong and I'd be to blame :p I don't see what there is though that isn't up to par really, it's a very solid build you've put together.

You are def. not responsible for anything going wrong as I am the one pulling the trigger. lol
I am not really sure what could go wrong other than not up to the snuff case. The 212 Evo is being praised a lot around here, so I am not worried about the heat either. The PSU could have been better, but I am not going to be crazy on overclocking either.

This is what I actually have ordered now: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ObiO
And it does seem a lot way more solid than when I started...which was an i5 3470, H77M, no SSD and a 7850.

mkenyon

Banned
You are def. not responsible for anything going wrong as I am the one pulling the trigger. lol
I am not really sure what could go wrong other than not up to the snuff case. The 212 Evo is being praised a lot around here, so I am not worried about the heat either. The PSU could have been better, but I am not going to be crazy on overclocking either.

And it does seem a lot way more solid than when I started...which was an i5 3470, H77M, no SSD and a 7850.
I dont like the PSU, but solid build otherwise.

JB1981

So it seems as though if you want to game on a resolution lower than 1080p you can build some really cheap PCs no? 1080p60 or 1080p30 is where things get steep (build plus monitor).

brentech

I have that mobo, cpu, CPU cooler, and the SSD drive. I think you'll be pretty happy with that. I do slightly worry about PSU @ 500W when your rig estimate is at 400W, but should largely be fine.

The mobo is excellent with offset overclock. I'm at 4.5Ghz and temps usually still under 60 while gaming. OCCT stress test gets to 68, unless I enable AVX Linpack they will go up to 78C.

kharma45

The SSD will blow your mind with how fast it is, I couldn't buy a new PC without one now.

All good solid bits, all I would change is the PSU and case as you know but can't be altered now. Just enjoy :)

It's already arrived afaik, it was bought before this as I wanted to change that too.

I have that mobo, cpu, CPU cooler, and the SSD drive. I think you'll be pretty happy with that. I do slightly worry about PSU @ 500W when your rig estimate is at 400W, but should largely be fine.

The mobo is excellent with offset overclock. I'm at 4.5Ghz and temps usually still under 60 while gaming. OCCT stress test gets to 68, unless I enable AVX Linpack they will go up to 78C.

Calculator seems off, don't see why it'd be pulling that amount. Would be closer to 300w probably at stock.

Sorral

Yeah, kharma45 recommended a better PSU than the Corsair.
The thing is I had already pulled the trigger a bit too soon (7950 being OOS and then back in made me grab it fast because now it is OOS again). The RMA process is more trouble than its worth from newegg. If you think it will be worthwhile difference(basically another $40 down the hole), then I will do it.

Oh, that's really good to hear. I will be overclocking a bit less, so hopefully the PSU will keep up.
How load is it for you?

The SSD will blow your mind with how fast it is, I couldn't buy a new PC without one now.

All good solid bits, all I would change is the PSU and case as you know but can't be altered now. Just enjoy :)

I am pretty sure it will since I have never had an SSD for any of my main systems until now.
I will put this together over the weekend if all parts are here and I will let you know how it goes. Perhaps ask and annoy you with more questions too. lol

kharma45

Whatever. Corsair makes solid psu's - I've been using them for years. They're basically SeaSonic's....

Not all of them, CWT make a lot of them now.

They still have good units but Seasonic themselves often are cheaper and if not them then XFX are. There isn't really a Corsair I'd go for now.

A 7970 Ghz Ed. would last me for quite a while right?

Should do, although we can only guesstimate.

kharma45

Whats wrong with the corsairs? They are reviewed pretty highly. Any specific reason why they should be avoided?

They're just mediocre at the low end, although the CX/Builder models can sometimes be the only option for those on a tight budget for instance. The CX 430 for example Chinese Samxon capacitors and they've only given it a 2 year warranty that doesn't really inspire confidence. They're not bad, there are just better options like for the same price as that CX 430 there is this Seasonic-made XFX 450w http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1143934.

Their higher end models are still good but usually aren't great value next to Seasonic or XFX.

DJ_Lae

All this discussion makes me feel even weirder about having an uncommon PSU - Antec's 750 watt high current pro.

Only bought it because it was $60 on Black Friday, though.

kharma45

Antec BP550 is king of the cheap PSUs.

Yeah it's a good unit. I wish BeQuiet! would launch their PSUs in the US to give the BP550 a mid-tier modular PSU.

All this discussion makes me feel even weirder about having an uncommon PSU - Antec's 750 watt high current pro.

Only bought it because it was $60 on Black Friday, though.

Antec's stuff is good and that is a bargain for that unit, usually 3x that price (at least RRP is).

Are the HX models considered high end? Because that's what I have and it seems to be serving me well.

2nd from the top of their range, they're good PSUs.

mkenyon

Banned
Are the HX models considered high end? Because that's what I have and it seems to be serving me well.
Nope, their AX series is high end.

HX ones are p'good though. The G and CX series would be their 'meh' ones. I've had way too many difficulties with PSUs over the years to get anything but the best in its class. They can cause some serious headaches, and even kill your entire system. It's the #1 most important part to consider for reliability.

Hey guys, I was wondering if the Standard build is good enough for just a multimedia computer (music production, etc). It's not for a hardcore professional user. I would say it's more for casual use.

I'm perfectly capable of just picking out my own parts but you guys are more knowledgeable about this stuff so I would just like bang for my buck. I don't really need a graphics card since he won't be playing games like that any time soon so that isn't important.

He's looking at a 400-500$ price range.

zeelman

I'm sick of my AMD computer with its miserable FX 6100, so I'm building a nice Intel system. How's this so far? I'm just going to take my 8GB Memory and stick it in the new system (its PC3 10600). I will also bring over my GTX 660.

pm5rkYd.jpg

DJ_Lae

Antec's stuff is good and that is a bargain for that unit, usually 3x that price (at least RRP is).

Yeah, $30 of that was rebate but it was still basically half price before that. It seemed to review well, and was basically was I was looking for (though in hindsight an 850 might have given me a tiny bit more headroom should I get a second 7970 if AMD fixes the crossfire issues).

Minor issue, also, is that it's a really weird navy blue. It's not ugly, but I'll never be able to colour coordinate anything. Maybe it's fitting as now my PC's guts are visual proof of my colourblindness.

kharma45

I'm sick of my AMD computer with its miserable FX 6100, so I'm building a nice Intel system. How's this so far? I'm just going to take my 8GB Memory and stick it in the new system (its PC3 10600). I will also bring over my GTX 660.

pm5rkYd.jpg

Looks good. The FX 6100 isn't good as you probably know but the 8350 might be worth a look as an upgrade just to throw out another option that would cost less money.

Don't forget Haswell is coming in 2 months if you're in no huge rush to upgrade.

brentech

Speaking of PSUs. I put this Corsair AX750 in the other day in exchange of the ThermalTake TR2 I started with when I built it a few weeks back.

8613607525_72fce9f372_c.jpg

8613607429_62e899d08d_c.jpg

8613607737_b28d60f282_c.jpg

My case isn't the best with wires on the backside, not enough space between rear panel, but otherwise looks great.

I had also replaced 3 case fans to switch from molex to 3 pin mobo connectors. (rear and top 2 fans)

Sorral

Nope, their AX series is high end.

HX ones are p'good though. The G and CX series would be their 'meh' ones. I've had way too many difficulties with PSUs over the years to get anything but the best in its class. They can cause some serious headaches, and even kill your entire system. It's the #1 most important part to consider for reliability.

You're scaring me. ;-; That anteq looks sexy now in comparison.

Katyusha

2nd from the top of their range, they're good PSUs.

Well that's good to know. I originally had a TR2 600w which I then replaced with a CX 750 (which was DOA) and now I have my HX 750.

I heard that the TR2's were absolutely terrible, and I've been running my system for 1 year, but I didn't want to take any more risks so I upgraded

kharma45

Well that's good to know. I originally had a TR2 600w which I then replaced with a CX 750 (which was DOA) and now I have my HX 750.

I heard that the TR2's were absolutely terrible, and I've been running my system for 1 year, but I didn't want to take any more risks so I upgraded

The old ones were but the new ones are supposed to be quite good. One of the reviews mentioned it was baffling that they kept the same name as the old junk ones.

On the topic of PSUs, who'd like an Aces Low 550w? Review is worth a read, I got a chuckle from it. I won't spoil the ending but it's the same old story with cheap PSUs

DSCF9928.JPG

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=335

bro1

Banned
The Silverstone I purchased is amazing! I've never had a PSU run so quietly in my life and it's modular. the only thing that sucks is that the 8 pin is too short to run behind my mobo. have to shell out to buy to the extension.

I need a new printer, hopefully one with good ink/paper 'mileage'.

Mainly for coaching documents and planner printing, so nothing majorly flashy, was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?

Thanks.

kharma45

while it did fuckup the color thing I was going for :( , its still done a good job for the price I payed so far. And that's after a decent amount of power outages in my neck of the woods.

Aye the Antec is ugly but you can't have it all.

Edit - Just seen it has Chinese Samxon capacitors inside, hmm, the same thing I gave off about the Corsair CX's for having.

mkenyon

Banned
For whatever reason, it has a really really low failure rate. It's also modular, which is a huge plus at that price point.

For a budget build, it's just hard to beat. If one is looking to spend more than that, they should stop trying to skimp on a PSU and get something better.

That's the moral of the story.

The only three PSU's I'd consider getting would be the BP550 for budget, then M12II for not budget, then Seasonic X or Corsair AX (even the i models as they are even a bit better than the Seasonic ones and have much lower rates of coil whine) if you are spending $1000+.

*edit*

and the Silverstone 450W SFX PSU if you need SFX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom