• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoKKeR

Since upgrading to my 770 4GB last night and the 320.18 driver, Bioshock Infinite has been slightly buggy to at one time graphically glitchy as hell for me.

Yesterday, I played a couple of hours and I just noticed pop-in was a little worse and an overlay in the Escape menu wasn't taking up the whole screen.

Today I was playing and the floors and walls started to disappear, and enemies appeared as these giant balls of silver and red spikes. Things were absolutely fucked until I restarted the game.

I think something's just up with the 320.18 driver. Maybe Nvidia hasn't released an official driver for the 770 yet or something, maybe the 320.18 driver just sucks, or maybe it's my card or my install.
The 320.18 drivers are definitely screwy, and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the little hitches are ironed out with the next release. They again, I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't.

Nonetheless, I haven't experienced any of the graphical issues on Bioshock Infinite that you have, but I will play a bit more tonight and keep an eye out for anything odd.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
PC booting up :) having never built a computer before, seeing that boot up screen was so amazing lol

I won't really do much else tonight. One issue is that I'm one sATA data cable short. So I can't connect my hard drive. I have the SSD and Bly ray connected. Installing windows to the SSD and getting a cable tomorrow.

The other thing is that my 770 is connected to these connectors with 3 pins. Four in total, quite a mess. Is it possible to connect the GPU right into the power supply? (It's modular)

I'm about to pull the trigger on the 770, but I'm debating going 4 GB or sticking with 2 GB.

I'm sticking with this card for about 3 years or so, so I kind of want it future-proof. Given that the next generation of consoles is around the corner I'm inclined to go for the 4 GB version, but I'm still not 100% sure on what the memory size on the card impacts in terms of performance.

Is it worth it to spend the extra $50 for the 4 GB version given I want this to last 3 years into the next gen?

kennah

PC booting up :) having never built a computer before, seeing that boot up screen was so amazing lol

I won't really do much else tonight. One issue is that I'm one sATA data cable short. So I can't connect my hard drive. I have the SSD and Bly ray connected. Installing windows to the SSD and getting a cable tomorrow.

The other thing is that my 770 is connected to these connectors with 3 pins. Four in total, quite a mess. Is it possible to connect the GPU right into the power supply? (It's modular)
Your psu should have come with 6/8 pin ones just for your gpu

Also I have shitloads of sata connectors if you want me to just mail you one

Sober

Sounds like you have some molex (those wide 4-pin connectors) converters? If you have a modular PSU it should come with actual 6pin/8-pin PCI-E cables.

senahorse

Stage one complete:

front_zps9585ab8d.jpg~original

sidepic_zps4ca3002d.jpg~original

Not the cleanest cabling job, but it will do until stage 2 (water cooling), I am pretty happy with how it has turned out so far :D.

Specs: 4770K, Asus ROG Hero mb, 16GB Gskill 2400Mhz DDR3, Noctua D14, 2 x Gigabyte Windforce 780's, Corsair 900D case, Corsair fans (will be replaced with GT's), Seasonic 1000W Platinum PSU, Bitfenix Recon fan controller, 1 x 2TB WD Black HDD, 1 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Thanks guys, ill post pics tomorrow to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

Thanks for the offer to mail the sATA cables, very nice. I'm eager to get this thing going so ill just pop over to the comp store tomorrow.

kennah

Thanks guys, ill post pics tomorrow to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

Thanks for the offer to mail the sATA cables, very nice. I'm eager to get this thing going so ill just pop over to the comp store tomorrow.
Yeah post pics of how you have it currently hooked up plus the other leftover cables that came with the psu

TheBear

Hi guys just bought a new SSD and was attempting to do a clean install of Windows 7. So I have disconnected the two main HDD's and I'm trying to windows on the SSD. I get to the setup page but it tells me the product key is invalid. I bought the key off digital river and haven't had issues with it before. Any ideas what the issue might be? Tried calling but they don't work on Saturdays :(
Any help would be appreciated!

Finally got everything together! XD

770 4GB shipped from Newegg finally, so I put the last few pieces (extra fans and the GPU) together and everything booted up nicely.

oOyvSNml.jpg

Tomorrow I'll be putting it through its paces.

Sober

770 4GB shipped from Newegg finally, so I put the last few pieces (extra fans and the GPU) together and everything booted up nicely.

http://i.imgur.com/oOyvSNml.jpg[IMG]

Tomorrow I'll be putting it through its paces.[/QUOTE]
Is gigabyte the only third party with any decent amount of stock for a 4gb 770? (as in I assume you bough a gigabyte 770?)

Is gigabyte the only third party with any decent amount of stock for a 4gb 770? (as in I assume you bough a gigabyte 770?)

I got the Gigabyte, yeah. In stock on Newegg!

IIRC there are only two vendors who are even making 4GB cards for the 770 right now, Gigabyte and EVGA.

Sober

I got the Gigabyte, yeah. In stock on Newegg!

IIRC there are only two vendors who are even making 4GB cards for the 770 right now, Gigabyte and EVGA.
Canada sucks, the EVGA 4gb model with the ACX cooler is 110$ more than their 2GB model. I'm more tempted to go EVGA over the Gigabyte because it's nominally better/the warranty. But at least Gigabyte isn't charging more than 50$ more for 4GB.

Not that there are any stock of 4GB 770s in Canada period.

Zenaku

At the end of 2011 I upgraded all my PC parts except my GPU (got a new i5 2500k, kept using an 8800GTX). I'll be heading to the computer fair at the motorcycle museum in an hour or two, and am aiming to upgrade to a 660 ti; any suggestions for similar priced cards/sli setups?

I have £220 to spend.

Mandoric

Banned

oOyvSNml.jpg

Tomorrow I'll be putting it through its paces.

That looks familiar!

If you put the HDDs in the caddies the other way around, you can hide the power/most of the data cabling behind the back panel of the case.

biocat

What kind of a drawbacks are there to going Micro ATX? Can I still fit an ssd and hdd comfortably? I live in a small Tokyo apartment and can't do a full-size tower.

If you put the HDDs in the caddies the other way around, you can hide the power/most of the data cabling behind the back panel of the case.

Not a bad idea. I put it together with a friend at work and this was the easiest way to get everything together, but it coud probably stand some cleanup.

(At least this time I didn't put anything in obviously backwards though...)

mkenyon

Banned
Small Form Factor Build Guide

One of the main factors that one faces when dealing with SFF builds is ensuring that heatsinks and parts fit in the tiny spaces provided. The parts in these build sheets are far less loose in terms of picking out something slightly different. I can only ensure proper clearances on the items that are in the build sheet. What makes this even more important is that I've decided to include Haswell in the Enthusiast build while sticking with Ivy Bridge in the Excellent builds. That means that they are on completely different sockets, so processors and motherboards are not compatible between the two. The reason why I've chosen to go this route is simply because of the ASUS Maximus VI Impact. This motherboard is jam packed with features, even a daughter board with a great sound card. This is the one case where all you are truly giving up is extra expansion slots.

In terms of being able to hold the most powerful hardware, only the CM 120 Elite and FT03 Mini are limited. So if you want to pack a 7970, 780, or Titan in an ITX enclosure, then you'll want to skip those. From there it's mostly a choice of aesthetics, though the Prodigy is the most capable in terms of moving heat.

The AMD APU builds are actually perfectly good gaming machines if you aren't planning on running anything graphically intensive. Indie games, Source, older titles, and even some newer ones like Dirt will run wonderfully on these systems. You do get what you pay for in terms of performance when you upgrade to the A8 or A10, though the A6 will certainly be able to handle HTPC tasks and light gaming. If you are just looking for an inexpensive computer that will handle browsing, 1080p video, and light gaming, then it's definitely the way to go. The HTPC builds will fit in all of the cases, but I only included them in the two cases that would look acceptable in a media center. That's a subjective call on my part, so if you are smitten with another case design, feel free to apply the HTPC column to any of the other cases.

VOLW5NZ.png

v7otJ76.png

8h43RPM.png

9T53yTb.png

2vgR50X.png

5pvBjtO.png

oXaJ7J3.png

IgVrAMM.png

Kf1gihw.png

Mf8nx8B.png

Status
Not open for further replies.