• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am liking that there are MSI boards in most of the builds. I like MSI boards.

Under UK there are already a lot of stores, but it would be great to have Amazon there. Everyone should buy from Amazon if the options is there. So much easier to deal with than any smaller tech websites.

edit: Overclockers also do custom builds as well as parts.

Agreed on Amazon UK, bought my mobo there for an absolute steal. They're also excellent with returns and price-matching.

Spookie

It's much more expensive than air

Also much more fun. Especially when you mix and match all the components yourself, so don't get a kit unless it's great value :)

you'll need a reservoir, pump, radiator, CPU & GPU block, fittings & tubing, radiator fans.

It can potentially be much more quiet compared to air cooling, especially when you have multiple graphics cards, but don't expect the increase in silence and cooling performance to be worth the money. Just do it because you like to build and tweak PCs.

Hmph. I think I'd rather invest my money else where and just go with some high spec fans. I'm more likely to throw cash at something if I don't get the performance I desire than over clock to be honest. I just thought if it was on par with a expensive air cooling setup I might give it a go.

kennah

Hmph. I think I'd rather invest my money else where and just go with some high spec fans. I'm more likely to throw cash at something if I don't get the performance I desire than over clock to be honest. I just thought if it was on par with a expensive air cooling setup I might give it a go.

The cost of the pump is on par with expensive air cooling.

Full custom loop for CPU + GPU is around $600 usually.

But - most of the parts carry over to multiple builds. The pump, rad, fittings, reservoir, and usually CPU block will work just fine for a very long time.

Akai__

As promised, here is my very 1st build:

c6UVjdR.jpg
NTZafOG.jpg

Full specs:

i7-4770K @ 4.5 Ghz
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
8 GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 RAM 1600 Mhz
Seasonic X Series 650W PSU
kennah's 6850 GPU
Samsung 830 128GB SSD
CM Hyper 212 Evo

CountertopTable

Neo Member
Can anyone talk me out of this? I have always been a Nvidia guy. I have a EVGA GTX 650 ti boost right now and my plan was to EVGA step up to a 780 once I have the money before my 90 day window closes. Then I was going to upgrade my monitor from 1080p to the dell u2713hm 1440p.

Sapphire HD 7970 with 5 games for $318 plus $20 MIR= $298?
Tomb Raider, Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite, and Borderlands 2 in the combo deal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202008

The more I think about it though I might be just better off grabbing this card now for better 1080p gaming plus all the free games I do not have and want to play and then 3-4 months from now when I have the money for both a 780 and new monitor I could upgrade then. Sound reasoning or should I stick to my original plan? I have always gone with Nvidia though and I was really looking forward to shadowplay that is coming out this week.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I love my low profile Razer Sphex mousepad, low friction, adhesive backed therefore non-slip awesomeness! =D

For the Fractal Design Define R4 case, should the stock fans always be running? Mine aren't running at all, even when doing a bit of gaming. At least, the fan in the back is not running. I can't see the front fan unless the side panel is off. Do they just take some time to kick in? My CPU temps, according to HWMonitor, are going into the high 60s C while gaming. This is my NCIX US build. They assembled it for me, and this is the first gaming PC I've ever had.

kennah

For the Fractal Design Define R4 case, should the stock fans always be running? Mine aren't running at all, even when doing a bit of gaming. At least, the fan in the back is not running. I can't see the front fan unless the side panel is off. Do they just take some time to kick in? My CPU temps, according to HWMonitor, are going into the high 60s C while gaming. This is my NCIX US build. They assembled it for me, and this is the first gaming PC I've ever had.

Did you plug the fans in to the motherboard to the powersupply? If powersupply they would be running full speed all the time. Motherboard would allow speed control.

As promised, here is my very 1st build:

Full specs:

i7-4770K @ 4.5 Ghz
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
8 GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 RAM 1600 Mhz
Seasonic X Series 650W PSU
kennah's 6850 GPU
Samsung 830 128GB SSD
CM Hyper 212 Evo
Glad to see the card living on!

Has anyone with a 7xx had any issues with 320.18? I've been running it and so have a few people I know.

I have a Gigabyte 770 4GB and am getting minor glitching, and once, major artifacts in Bioshock Infinite.

Do we have any idea if the drivers coming this week are going to fix the 320 series (320.18 in particular)'s issues?

Did you plug the fans in to the motherboard to the powersupply? If powersupply they would be running full speed all the time. Motherboard would allow speed control.

They are plugged into the motherboard. When you say speed control, does that include off as a speed? Maybe I should try to run the system harder and see if they kick in at some point. I think I would have seen some fan movement by now, though, even if only on low.

MOBO is MSI Z87-G45. Maybe I'll try installing the drivers/utilities. Thought NCIX took care of that already, though. I will see.

Sober

Oh man all these pictures are getting my all antsy.

I pulled the trigger on most of my parts but the mobo is literally out of stock in all of Canada so I have to wait until they get some more.

In the meantime I really should be backing up my stuff to get ready for the new build but I'm not...

zeelman

I built a new PC about a month ago and I had some freezing issues. Turns out those issues were caused by a missing SM Bus Controller driver, not by my memory like I had originally thought. I did order some memory that my motherboard supports, but I'm thinking of returning it since its no longer an issue. Would it help my computer if I did use it?

Kydd BlaZe

Been thinking about building a PC that can run stuff like Crysis 3 and Metro: Last Light on ultra/max settings. The catch is...I'm a total noob when it comes to building a PC. This would be my first PC build ever.

I need help!

Could someone point me in the right direction as to what sort of parts I would need in order to build a PC that could run the aforementioned games on ultra as well as lasting at least a few years before I eventually would have to upgrade? I would greatly appreciate any help!

Addnan

Been thinking about building a PC that can run stuff like Crysis 3 and Metro: Last Light on ultra/max settings. The catch is...I'm a total noob when it comes to building a PC. This would be my first PC build ever.

I need help!

Could someone point me in the right direction as to what sort of parts I would need in order to build a PC that could run the aforementioned games on ultra as well as lasting at least a few years before I eventually would have to upgrade? I would greatly appreciate any help!
Fill out the questions in the OP.

kennah

They are plugged into the motherboard. When you say speed control, does that include off as a speed? Maybe I should try to run the system harder and see if they kick in at some point. I think I would have seen some fan movement by now, though, even if only on low.

MOBO is MSI Z87-G45. Maybe I'll try installing the drivers/utilities. Thought NCIX took care of that already, though. I will see.

It is possible that those particular fan headers are turned off in the BIOS. Worth a look

Kydd BlaZe

Fill out the questions in the OP.

•Your Current Specs: Don't have a desktop at the moment. I've been using my laptop to play stuff like Hotline Miami and Half-Life 2.
•Budget: $1000-1500 USD
•Main Use: Main use would be for gaming
•Monitor Resolution: 1080p. Will be using my 47" LCD for comfy couch PC gaming.
•Metro: Last Light, Crysis 3, BioShock Infinite all at max settings at 60fps.
•Looking to reuse any parts?: I guess no, since I'm totally starting from scratch here.
•When will you build?: As soon as possible. Would start building today if I had the parts.
•Will you be overclocking?: Maybe (Not really sure what overclocking is really for to be honest).

Diablos

Addnan

•Your Current Specs: Don't have a desktop at the moment. I've been using my laptop to play stuff like Hotline Miami and Half-Life 2.
•Budget: $1000-1500 USD
•Main Use: Main use would be for gaming
•Monitor Resolution: 1080p. Will be using my 47" LCD for comfy couch PC gaming.
•Metro: Last Light, Crysis 3, BioShock Infinite all at max settings at 60fps.
•Looking to reuse any parts?: I guess no, since I'm totally starting from scratch here.
•When will you build?: As soon as possible. Would start building today if I had the parts.
•Will you be overclocking?: Maybe (Not really sure what overclocking is really for to be honest).
You are looking at the the enthusiast build in the OP, but even that won't be able to maintain 60fps with everything set to ultra on Crysis 3. That game is really something else, its geared more towards multi gpu set up or a Titan.

You will be able to play pretty much all games on high settings, but there will be the odd game that will need more, Crysis 3 being one of them or Metro Last Light if you enable SSAA, but on the whole games will run pretty perfectly.

Hi everyone, I am looking to buy this card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127699

However it says you need a minimum 450W PSU with a minimum 12V current rating of 24A. This is my PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151029

The output is: +3.3V@24A,+5V@30A,+12V1@18A,+12V2@18A,+12V3@18A,+12V4@18A,-12V@0.8A,+5VSB@3.0A

There are four +12V rails but none exceed 18A, however, because there are four of them will this suffice?

That will be fine.

Help?

I have an "Unknown device" situation. Asus Z87-Pro with i5 4670K:

p5WuI3f.jpg

USB 3.0, Intel INF install, Intel RST, sound drivers, etc. .. EVERYTHING is installed so what could this be?

I disabled WiFi and Bluetooth in BIOS.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Ok, so planning out the initial cooling plan for my build, does the following look ok?

(Blue = Intake, Red = Exhaust)

3Dw3Dth.jpg

A and B will be the default Silent Series R2 fans that come with the Define R4 case, C will be whatever I've got to hand (I have a ton of cheapy 120mm and 140mm fans around the house), and the H80i will use it's stock fans for now.

I'll run with my 3 HDD's in the bottom cage, top cage either removed or turned 90degrees.

Fan B is specifically to cool the HDD's, I've lost HDD's in the past to overheating when managed ducted airflow left them airflow restricted, not letting that happen again. Fan A to bring in cool air for chipset & GPU.

I'm hoping, for noise reduction reasons, to run A, B and C at 7v via the case fan controller, sound reasonable at 4.3Ghz?

Look good?

aeolist

Banned
Help?

I have an "Unknown device" situation. Asus Z87-Pro with i5 4670K:

p5WuI3f.jpg

USB 3.0, Intel INF install, Intel RST, sound drivers, etc. .. EVERYTHING is installed so what could this be?

I disabled WiFi and Bluetooth in BIOS.
double click the device -> details -> select hardware id from the drop down menu

post the result

double click the device -> details -> select hardware id from the drop down menu

post the result

ACPI\PNP0A0A
*PNP0A0A

EDIT: Some ASUS specific driver it seems:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGo4itFtaps

NOTE: There is a device that shows up as unknown in device manager despite installing all of the drivers. The Hardware ID is "ACPI\PNP0A0A *PNP0A0A" If you insert and let the installation DVD that comes with the motherboard autorun, it will automatically install the "Asus COM" service and this will get recognized as a "AMDA000" interface.

EDIT2: Solved.

Wallach

Ok, so planning out the initial cooling plan for my build, does the following look ok?

(Blue = Intake, Red = Exhaust)

3Dw3Dth.jpg

A and B will be the default Silent Series R2 fans that come with the Define R4 case, C will be whatever I've got to hand (I have a ton of cheapy 120mm and 140mm fans around the house), and the H80i will use it's stock fans for now.

I'll run with my 3 HDD's in the bottom cage, top cage either removed or turned 90degrees.

Fan B is specifically to cool the HDD's, I've lost HDD's in the past to overheating when managed ducted airflow left them airflow restricted, not letting that happen again. Fan A to bring in cool air for chipset & GPU.

I'm hoping, for noise reduction reasons, to run A, B and C at 7v via the case fan controller, sound reasonable at 4.3Ghz?

Look good?

I'm not sure I would pull in from both the front and back. Even more so if your PSU exhausts upwards into the case instead of down and out the bottom. Have the H80i exhaust.

Kambing

I was just perusing the OP and realized that SSD's have gone down in price?!

A 500gb samsung SSD cost $370 at amazon, WTF? I remember buying my 120gb for $200... Do any of you know we will be able to expect 1tb ssd's? I did not see any on amazon and would definitely bite if they are in the $500-600 range.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Not seeing why you would wait for the new consoles to drop, its not like they have any impact on the pricing of PC parts. Best time to buy parts is when new revisions come out and pricing on older tech drops, if it drops.

My worry isn't the pricing, it's more "need new PC parts to run next-gen titles."

I'm worried that next gen is suddenly going to require me to buy new parts five months later due to no optimization or anything like that. :/

Not got much to contribute to this thread but just wanted to say "thanks for existing". Whenever I want a new part for my PC this is the first place I visit to see what you guys recommend.

Even have thanks for you recommending the BenQ XL2420T monitor, I am loving it and the 3D facility is awesome. Next up I need to upgrade the hard disc that has my steam games (1gb isn't enough). So naturally I will be going with the WD Green hard discs.

Hell I might even treat myself to an SSD hard disc to replace my aging OS hard disc. Anyway thanks for one of the most useful informative ops on Neogaf.

mkenyon

Banned
New thread eh?

I would argue for a 6300 over the i3 now, and the FM2 Athlon's over the Pentiums.
I don't agree on the 6300 over the i3 at all. But Athlon's are definitely better than the Pentiums. The thing is though, is that if someone buys a B75 board, then they can upgrade to an i3/i5 later on. If they buy an FM2 board, then they're stuck.

If they get a 6300 over an i3, then they are stuck on an AM3+ board. Then we have someone who posts saying, "so I have this AM3+ processor, and I want to upgrade". Then they're stuck with AM3+ and can't go to a proper i5 K model unless they spend a lot more money on a new motherboard.

These builds don't live in vacuums.
I feel this thread has a severe lack of AMD FX processor information.
Should we have posted more warnings not to get any of them?
The 8350 is the only one that matters imo.

Not at $200.
For a number of games, it definitely can be just as good. However, for a lot of games that place a strong emphasis on CPU power, it's basically on par with first gen Core series processors. That's not very good.

Beyond that, it's a power hog, which means taking into account a higher wattage PSU, which immediately clouds the difference in price between an i5 K model and an 8350.

I am/was a bit of an AMD fanboy at heart as well. I'd really like to put some FX processors in there. But doing so seems like an emotional decision out of irrational thought. I'm hopeful that the next round of processors from them could be quite spectacular, as I'd love to see some competition and increase options for consumers. But for games, there's only one clear answer right now.

In addition to that, I think that with moving towards next gen engines, we'll see less of an importance on the CPU in terms of performance. Check out these Crysis 2 and BF3 (singleplayer) benches:

I think that these kinds of benches might become more frequent going forward.
My worry isn't the pricing, it's more "need new PC parts to run next-gen titles."

I'm worried that next gen is suddenly going to require me to buy new parts five months later due to no optimization or anything like that. :/
I think Newegg is getting a shipment of Pixie Dust next week or so. No word yet on Secret Sauce though.

vilmer_

I'm at a point where I'm seriously just going to get another 680 for SLI than get a single 780. Going by benchmarks, it's still a big time upgrade.

That's the nature of the beast, nothing you can do about that. However on the plus site the new consoles, tech-wise aren't that much better if any compared to most medium - high end gaming PC's. This is not to start a debate but from everything we've seen the PC's should benefit more now than before since the PS4 / Xbox One will provide us with at least baseline optimizations when those games hit (If) the PC.

Depending on what you have right now you may not even have to upgrade.

RoKKeR

Has anyone with a 7xx had any issues with 320.18? I've been running it and so have a few people I know.

After working out all of the kinks yesterday and doing a clean install, no.

The only game I'm having issues with is BF3, where I'm getting a little bit of stuttering in online play. Whether this is a server-side issue in MP, a 320.18 issue or something else, BF3 is the only game that has been giving me trouble. Everything else has been silky smooth. Hopefully the new drivers will iron out any issues.

kharma45

Wall of shame (or fame if you want) from the last thread

I am liking that there are MSI boards in most of the builds. I like MSI boards.

Under UK there are already a lot of stores, but it would be great to have Amazon there. Everyone should buy from Amazon if the options is there. So much easier to deal with than any smaller tech websites.

edit: Overclockers also do custom builds as well as parts.

Agreed on Amazon UK, bought my mobo there for an absolute steal. They're also excellent with returns and price-matching.

I tried to get the UK bit revised before but no one took my suggestions on board ;_;

I don't agree on the 6300 over the i3 at all. But Athlon's are definitely better than the Pentiums. The thing is though, is that if someone buys a B75 board, then they can upgrade to an i3/i5 later on. If they buy an FM2 board, then they're stuck.

If they get a 6300 over an i3, then they are stuck on an AM3+ board. Then we have someone who posts saying, "so I have this AM3+ processor, and I want to upgrade". Then they're stuck with AM3+ and can't go to a proper i5 K model unless they spend a lot more money on a new motherboard.

These builds don't live in vacuums.

How often have we had someone come in here looking to upgrade, especially on a board like a B75? Hardly ever. Also why would you want to upgrade on a shitty B75 board and stick a great i5 K CPU in? That ain't logical. Same argument with FM2, it's not an ideal platform but when it comes to someone wanting to properly upgrade they'll do it a as whole.

With regards to the frame times posted, most are lets be honest within acceptable limits. The graphs can at times make them look terrible but that's more a factor of how good Intel is at this stage rather than how bad AMD is. You carried out your own work with regards to overclocking decreasing frame latencies on your 3570K, there is the chance that could happen too with the AMD stuff and all of their CPUs from the Athlon 750K to the FX 6300 can all overclock pretty easily to 4.x GHz.

Also too if CPU is going to matter less then going AMD at the low end isn't the worst idea. I'd also tie this into the point of upgrading CPUs, as they stagnate people aren't going to be bothered about upgrading if they're less important. i5 750s from 2009 still more than hold their own in most games with an overclock applied.

RoKKeR

Here is a graph of what I presume is my frame latency in BF3. I'd say the jumps are higher than average, but it's about what it looks like consistently.

Q9q.png

What does this tell me? Am I bottlenecking? Server-side ping issues?

zeelman

My computer froze again, almost two hours after posting here that I fixed it. Its the Kernal Event 41 again. I guess I better try changing my memory.

Do Asus motherboards overclock memory by default? I have a p8z77-v lk. I'm not sure what setting to change to get my memory to normal settings.

Smokey

We in here. New thread is nice. Haz left out the 2011 boards in the OP though. No love.

Also I am selling a GTX Titan SuperClocked for $850. Apparently nobody wants it :l

RoKKeR

We in here. New thread is nice. Haz left out the 2011 boards in the OP though. No love.

Also I am selling a GTX Titan SuperClocked for $850. Apparently nobody wants it :l

Can't drop that kind of cash with next gen taking up a lot of my gaming bank, but it's a damn good deal.

Osiris

What does this tell me? Am I bottlenecking? Server-side ping issues?

Not sure, but it tells me that you should quote or resize your images in future haha ;) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom