• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

The Compact Splash is such an awesome case.

Excited for a new thread. Woop Woop!

Thinking I'm going to wait on a GPU upgrade (have a Titan - for about 18 months - typically I would upgrade now but don't see a huge reason to, yet). Really want to splurge on a Herman Miller Embody Chair instead.... it's just real hard to justify ~$1,100 on a chair.

Do it. We don't have (and can't afford) nice chairs, so are going to be setting up a standing desk with anti fatigue mat for my gaming/work.

b0bbyJ03

anyone use the Realtek Dolby Digital live/DTS unlock hack? I got it to work but I noticed out of the 3 games I tested only 1 actually have me 5.1 surround.

roytheone

Just installed my new zotac GTX 970 as a replacement for my ancient GTX 460, here are some benchmark results:

Firestrike score went from 2352 to 8073
Dragon age: inquisition went from 30-40 fps on medium/low settings to 40-60 fps on max settings.
Call of duty: advanced warfare went from 25-40 fps on medium to 50-120 fps on max.
Dead rising 3 went from 20-30 fps on low and 720p to a consistent 30 on max and 1080p.
Lego batman 3 went from 50-60 fps on 1080p to a consistent 60 fps on 3840 x 2160 (DSR)

Other specs:

8 Gig ram
i7 870 @ 2,93 ghz
1080p resolution unless stated otherwise.

Even with my cpu bottlenecking me now (especially noticeable in redcliffe village in dragon age, game still drops to 20 fps there, probably a very cpu heavy area), the jump in performance is still gigantic :)

The Llama

Just installed my new zotac GTX 970 as a replacement for my ancient GTX 460, here are some benchmark results:

Firestrike score went from 2352 to 8073
Dragon age: inquisition went from 30-40 fps on medium/low settings to 40-60 fps on max settings.
Call of duty: advanced warfare went from 25-40 fps on medium to 50-120 fps on max.
Dead rising 3 went from 20-30 fps on low and 720p to a consistent 30 on max and 1080p.
Lego batman 3 went from 50-60 fps on 1080p to a consistent 60 fps on 3840 x 2160 (DSR)

Other specs:

8 Gig ram
i7 870 @ 2,93 ghz
1080p resolution unless stated otherwise.

Even with my cpu bottlenecking me now (especially noticeable in redcliffe village in dragon age, game still drops to 20 fps there, probably a very cpu heavy area), the jump in performance is still gigantic :)

No better time to overclock your CPU then!

b0bbyJ03

Is the jump from 8GB RAM to 16GB worth it yet? My friend is building a new PC and plans on picking up 16 GB. I told him I don't think it's necessary just yet. Am I wrong on this? For the record, he's building it strictly for gaming

kennah

Is the jump from 8GB RAM to 16GB worth it yet? My friend is building a new PC and plans on picking up 16 GB. I told him I don't think it's necessary just yet. Am I wrong on this? For the record, he's building it strictly for gaming

Eehhhn. It's hard to say. If you're building new, may as well go for 16. If you already have 8, not much point in upgrading.

Himemiya

Hey I need to drudge up something from the old thread.

These are the four posts pertaining to whether my motherboard is actually compatible and works in the context of these other build parts:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H mATX LGA1150 DDR3 1PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 1PCI HDMI SATA3 USB3.0

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Quad-Core 3.2GHz LGA 1150
PSU: Corsair CX Series CX750M 750W ATX 12V 80 Plus Bronze Modular
Memory: G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)
HDD: Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 Superclocked w/ EVGA ACX Cooler

Trying to figure this out but I need some guidance, from RGM79 or anyone who can help me. On the motherboard's box it says "rev.1.1", dunno where I can find the manufacture date here.

kamakazi5

So I have a 4570k @4.6 ghz, water cooler, 970 @1.5ghz, 3 HDD's tons of USB devices etc all on a 750w PSU. I was actually running 2 770's in SLI on my 750w before this, so yes you've got all the power you'll need with plenty to spare. Also keep in mind The 970 uses way less power than previous gen cards as well.

As for your motherboard the biggest differences you'll see is build quality, PCI-EXpress slots both 3.0 and normal. Max ram support, number of sata ports (6gbs and 3gb) whether it has built in wifi or not. Thunderbolt support, on board audio, power management tools and advanced bios features. It also has an effect on your CPU/RAM overclocking potential. So what it really comes down to is features, power, and overclocking potential.

Sounds good. Thanks.

kennah

Hey I need to drudge up something from the old thread.

These are the four posts pertaining to whether my motherboard is actually compatible and works in the context of these other build parts:

Trying to figure this out but I need some guidance, from RGM79 or anyone who can help me. On the motherboard's box it says "rev.1.1", dunno where I can find the manufacture date here.

There's no reason it wouldn't be compatible. Everything works together these days. The only thing you need to watch out for really is a) not mixing AMD and intel CPU/Motherboards and b) not trying to put laptop ram in a desktop board.

kaskade

Ordered a r9 280 for Christmas. Next is the SSD and my rig should get a nice life boost from my 6870. How much longer do you guys think my 2500k will last. I'm hoping another 2 years or so before I feel the need to upgrade.

Mairu

Can I just use any of the Haswell overclocking guides for overclocking a 4790k/z97 motherboard? I haven't found a z97-specific one that's simple - not looking to push it that much just looking for the simple/stable method since I'm limited on available time to tinker with it

The Llama

Can I just use any of the Haswell overclocking guides for overclocking a 4790k/z97 motherboard? I haven't found a z97-specific one that's simple - not looking to push it that much just looking for the simple/stable method since I'm limited on available time to tinker with it

Yeah, overclocking is basically the same as overclocking a Z87 mobo.

Has anyone tried the NZXT G10 bracket yet which can use an AIO? I am considering it as I was pricing doing a custom loop for my GPU and I'm around $250 range before factoring in shipping costs and any extra barbs that I might need.

Smokey

Will this be the year I finally finish my watercooling build? (probably not )

Will this be the year I finally do a watercooling on my build ?(probably not).

I ain't buying shit for my PC next year...true story...well minus Titan II. Maybe. Who knows :x

Does anyone here know much about audio? Having some issues getting my new Asus MX239H monitor's speakers to work. I'll paste what I wrote somewhere else.

I recently bought this monitor, and I'm having problems getting the sound to work. It's connected to the HDMI slot on my GPU, but no sound is heard. I've tried using the audio cable that comes with it, as well as using the DVI adapter instead, but to no avail. I've tried using various playback devices, but none of them produce sound out of the monitor. One thing is that, my headphones work when I connect them to the green audio jack on my sound card, but the same doesn't apply when connecting the monitor's audio cable.

Anyone have any ideas as to what might be going wrong?

Audio - Asus Xonar DGX PCI-E 5.1
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H
GPU - GTX 770 2GB
OS - WIndows 7.

Needlecrash

I'm going to be a busy man this weekend. I'm getting the last parts of my PC build. Getting the new Power Supply, 2x120 mm fans & Blu Ray Drive this weekend at Microcenter. It's a MASSIVE update from what I currently have.

My setup once's it's done:

• AMD FX-8350
  • G.Skill Ares 32GB RAM @ 1866 mHz
  • Gigabyte 990-FXA-UD3 Motherboard
  • Corsair Vengeance C70 Case - Military Green
  • MSi GeForce GTX 970 4G Golden Edition
  • 1 TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
  • 3 TB Toshiba HDD
  • 4x Cougar 120mm Fans
  • 2x Corsair Fans
  • Corsair RM 850W Modular Power Supply
  • LG 12x Blu Ray Drive
  • NZXT Media Control Panel

This should last for me a long while.

Smokey

I'm going to be a busy man this weekend. I'm getting the last parts of my PC build. Getting the new Power Supply, 2x120 mm fans & Blu Ray Drive this weekend at Microcenter. It's a MASSIVE update from what I currently have.

• AMD FX-8350
  • 3 TB Toshiba HDD
  • 4x Cougar 120mm Fans
  • 2x Corsair Fans
  • LG 12x Blu Ray Drive

Any particular reason why you went AMD instead of Intel?

Didn't know I could buy from reddit lol.
I think I want to keep the Optical drive to watch Blurays in my room.
And I'm assuming the motherboard is overkill? Could you explain why? I was checking Logical Increments and its the best one they matched up with my processor and its just $20 more than the other 2.
Well, I read that it has built-in Wifi function, better audio codec than the z97A. But that's about it.

Yep, for the OS go here.

The Llama

• AMD FX-8350
  • 3 TB Toshiba HDD
  • 4x Cougar 120mm Fans
  • 2x Corsair Fans
  • LG 12x Blu Ray Drive

Without trying to sound too rude, what a weird build. AMD CPU? 32GB of RAM? 3 HDD's? 850W PSU? I just... don't get it.

Needlecrash

Any particular reason why you went AMD instead of Intel?

I've always used AMD in the past and I haven't had any issues whatsoever. Could I get an i7 with a compatible motherboard? Sure I could. Yet, my FX-8350 does the job and for now at least, there's no incentive to go to Intel.

Needlecrash

Without trying to sound too rude, what a weird build. AMD CPU? 32GB of RAM? 3 HDD's? 850W PSU? I just... don't get it.

I got 32gb's of RAM two years ago during a Newegg sale. I paid $100 for it and they go for $315 now. I will have 2 hard drives, not 3. I would need about a 850W PSU after measuring the draw from all devices within the computer. And...I just like AMD. Almost everyone goes for Intel these days and that's fine. I personally prefer AMD and have been using it for years now.

Smokey

Ahahah. Good one, Smokey.

I shoulda took that bet last year.

For real this time tho :x

I got 32gb's of RAM two years ago during a Newegg sale. I paid $100 for it and they go for $315 now. I will have 2 hard drives, not 3. I would need about a 850W PSU after measuring the draw from all devices within the computer. And...I just like AMD. Almost everyone goes for Intel these days and that's fine. I personally prefer AMD and have been using it for years now.

That's fine as long as it meets your needs.

I need some help. I just got a new PSU (CorseAir CX600) since my old one couldn't supply my new graphics card with the power it needs. The problem is that this PSU lacks one of the male plug that plugs into my computers motherboard (the old PSU was plugged into it). The one that is missing is a 2 by 2 plug.

tumblr_ng2oht1nxf1rzsiiao1_1280.jpg

Is there anything I can do? Would any of the of the plugs that come with the PSU work despite none of them being 2 by 2? Like this 3 by 2 plug? Is it even necessary to plug anything into it? Sorry if the answer is obvious, first time I have really ever tried to up grade my computer.

tumblr_ng2orrqFxX1rzsiiao1_1280.jpg

Also sorry for the terrible image quality, the only camera I have is the 3DS camera.
EDIT: also sorry if this is the wrong thread to be posting this in.

The Llama

I need some help. I just got a new PSU (CorseAir CX600) since my old one couldn't supply my new graphics card with the power it needs. The problem is that this PSU lacks one of the male plug that plugs into my computers motherboard (the old PSU was plugged into it). The one that is missing is a 2 by 2 plug.

tumblr_ng2oht1nxf1rzsiiao1_1280.jpg

Is there anything I can do? Would any of the of the plugs that come with the PSU work despite none of them being 2 by 2? Like this 3 by 2 plug? Is it even necessary to plug anything into it? Sorry if the answer is obvious, first time I have really ever tried to up grade my computer.

tumblr_ng2orrqFxX1rzsiiao1_1280.jpg

Also sorry for the terrible image quality, the only camera I have is the 3DS camera.
EDIT: also sorry if this is the wrong thread to be posting this in.

What kind of mobo is it?

Also, you didn't have a better camera to use than a 3DS? lol

Will this be the year I finally do a watercooling on my build ?(probably not).

I ain't buying shit for my PC next year...true story...well minus Titan II. Maybe. Who knows :x

If this turns out to be true, im gonna buy a hat and then eat it!

Did you get your swift sorted with the 344.80 drivers bro? It worked for me.

What kind of mobo is it?

Also, you didn't have a better camera to use than a 3DS? lol

Umm...I'm not too sure what mobo it is, this computer was pre-built. The computer is a Lenovo. ((1P) 12752 9000325 for MB FRUW85 is on a sticker on the mobo, and has a bar code on top of it) And the 3DS is literally my only camera.

My CPU came this morning while I was sleeping. Didn't know it was outside the door until I checked the tracker. The packaging was a lot smaller than I anticipated. O_O

b0bbyJ03

its been really tough to find information on PC audio. Maybe someone here can help me. I used a hack to get my Realtek Optical output to deliver Dolby Digital Live encoding so that I can get 5.1 to my Astro A40s. After testing a few games, I noticed that only one was actually giving me 5.1 sound (Titanfall). the others just played in stereo. First question i have is, do most games on PC offer 5.1 like their console counterparts? if so, how do i get it to work via optical. I also have a GTX 970 and i know that puts out multi-channel audio via the HDMI output in PCM format. Im about to get my rear speakers (i only have the front 3 as of now) for X-mas so i would like to know what to expect.

garath

My SSD from Amazon came in today yay! Wife sent me a pic since I'm still at work. Unfortunately it looks like Amazon chewed on it a bit.

x2Yw6r5.jpg

Doesn't look like damage that would impact the drive but I think they're going to get a note about it regardless. That's no way to treat electronics. It was definitely Amazon since the box it came in was fine.

Smokey

If this turns out to be true, im gonna buy a hat and then eat it!

Did you get your swift sorted with the 344.80 drivers bro? It worked for me.

Nah it's unhooked. I've been going through my monitors. Right now I'm back on my Dell U3011. The colors ;_;

kennah

I come from the grave. Need pics.

Splash is still in the padded box from the move. I ended up selling most of the guts so I have to 'start over'.

Here's a pic of my current setup (as of last night)

This'll be the splash when done.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($74.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85N PHOENIX-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($116.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($114.09 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Western Digital WD Blue 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($72.45 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 4GB Video Card
Power Supply: Silverstone 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($139.99 @ Memory Express)
Total: $518.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-04 15:23 EST-0500

Manager

Got a Fractal Design Define R5 today, don't think it's officially released until next week in many European countries. Haven't installed all stuff in it yet, but really nice quality and I'm really happy with it. If someone has any questions about measurements or similar, ask away. I never had the R4 with the magnets for the door, but I don't think the "new" way of opening the door is as bad as it was described in reviews. But it could be because I never was used to the magnets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom