• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still having issues, the BSOD is telling meVideo TDR Failure. I think my card is fucked. Time to get my money.

Can anyone recommend any good GPUs for around £175?

Yeah if you've done everything else software-related and still having that, card would be a reasonable culprit.

How long do you expect to keep this card? And do you have anything to use in the meantime?

My philosophy is always identify what you can afford, then wait and save a bit more for something slightly better. A 1060 6GB looks like it's about £240, so only another ~65 quid but there are obviously various financial and timing factors that will either make this feasible or not.

emigre

Yeah if you've done everything else software-related and still having that, card would be a reasonable culprit.

How long do you expect to keep this card? And do you have anything to use in the meantime?

My philosophy is always identify what you can afford, then wait and save a bit more for something slightly better. A 1060 6GB looks like it's about £240, so only another ~65 quid but there are obviously various financial and timing factors that will either make this feasible or not.

The 1060 looks pretty sexy. I think I'll switch to an Nvidia card.

I'm definitely open to spending more on a new GPU particularly if will be more long term. I've got nothing to use in short term other than my integrated graphics. I'm ok with that for the short term (I can still play indie games, 3DS and PS4 exclusives). I want to get my money back from MoreComputers first before I buy something new.

I'm just a tad disappointed and frustrated as this is my first gaming build and a part has already died on me.

The 1060 looks pretty sexy. I think I'll switch to an Nvidia card.

I'm definitely open to spending more on a new GPU particularly if will be more long term. I've got nothing to use in short term other than my integrated graphics. I'm ok with that for the short term (I can still play indie games, 3DS and PS4 exclusives). I want to get my money back from MoreComputers first before I buy something new.

I'm just a tad disappointed and frustrated as this is my first gaming build and a part has already died on me.

We've all been there. This won't be the last time it happens to you if you're planning to stick with PC gaming for any decent amount of time.

Some 1060 roundup resources to help you pick:

http://thepcenthusiast.com/geforce-gtx-1060-compared-asus-evga-msi-gigabtye-zotac/

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviewdb/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA/GTX-1060/

Servbot24

Banned
These aren't mine, but I was so impressed I had to post. PC of Vitaly Bulgarov (maybe the best 3D artist there is!)

16402911_1723101454382844_7090205248985455636_o.jpg

16252305_1723101511049505_7405755196897649053_o.jpg

16143795_1723101574382832_3335220518935745956_o.jpg

16300538_1723101457716177_7080045504235540355_o.jpg

16179487_1723101514382838_3332645628924762478_o.jpg

16403185_1723101507716172_7350512778852261085_o.jpg

16251699_1723101467716176_8843485952136981319_o.jpg

GodofWine

Any thoughts on if the AMD 500 series will have a large impact on 480 pricing? Or if it will be much better or a barely improved rebrand?

I almost pulled the trigger on a 180$ 480 8g today, cause it was a damned good sale but the current falling price trends just have me waiting for the next price drop constantly.

Jesb

Been wondering if I should upgrade my gpu or just wait until I build a pc for 4k gaming. I'm on a amd 8350 and a 7970 gpu. Even at 1080p this gpu is struggling with some of the newer stuff coming out. Worth it to upgrade the gpu or just wait for new build?

What's the best stress testing software for overclocking? I've seen people suggest Aida64, Realbench and Prime95. My PC passed Aida64 and Realbench with flying colours, and I've left it for hours encoding h264 with no issues, but Prime95 whinges about it. So I'm not sure what to believe. :p

Sarcasm

My CPU should last me another 5 years if I buy a GPU upgrade right?

I7 3770K is my CPU.

GPU upgrade in question is 1080ti.

750W PSU should be enough right?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I am not expecting my 3770k to last another 5 years.

I just paired it with a 1080 and the whole rig is screamin!!!! But 2022 is a long way away.

Pagusas

Elden Member

I just paired it with a 1080 and the whole rig is screamin!!!! But 2022 is a long way away.

Yeah, honestly I feel my 6700k and soon to be 1080ti should last me 3 years.... but I just know I'll grab a new GPU and cpu for Cyberpunk in 2 years

Sarcasm

Yeah, honestly I feel my 6700k and soon to be 1080ti should last me 3 years.... but I just know I'll grab a new GPU and cpu for Cyberpunk in 2 years

I should be good for at least three years right? I don't need max ultra but 60 fps.

Nuu

Banned
How are the AMD Ryzen CPUs? Are they good for gaming? Or would it be better to purchase an Intel CPU at the same price?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
How are the AMD Ryzen CPUs? Are they good for gaming? Or would it be better to purchase an Intel CPU at the same price?
Good for gaming, but the Intel's are better.
The gap that is good for Ryzen is the R5 marketshare, but they are not out yet (Wait 1-3 months).
For comparing the Intel i5/i7 for gaming only performance the Intel's are still on top for the games that are out today, but maybe not being made today. As such it's a hard choice, and builds being updated soon will likely have splits on hardware.

E.G. if you do anything other than gaming for your PC Ryzen can be an excellent value.

At this very moment the Intels are superior, but the gap could narrow once some of the software bugs are ironed out. And the Ryzen could potentially come out ahead in the long run if games start taking advantage of the additional cores.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Having trouble with friends new build. No video.

Asrock Z170A-X1
Coesair CM 600 (I think)
Ripjaws DDR4 3000 8gbx2
Using onboard dvi.

Checked all connectors, checked for shorts, grounded during building, reseated cpu, proper grease, tried ram in all slot combinations (single and dual).

Do not have pc speaker or multimeter so cant get error code if there is one.

When a gpu 1070gtx is installed, its led light is on but fans do not spin.

Case Fans go, motherboard controlled fans go, runs for ~8 seconds, auto reboots, then stays on. No video whatsoever.

Any ideas? Bad mobo? Bad cpu? Powersupply incompatable? Need to flash bios to support that cpu?

Nuu

Banned
Good for gaming, but the Intel's are better.
The gap that is good for Ryzen is the R5 marketshare, but they are not out yet (Wait 1-3 months).
For comparing the Intel i5/i7 for gaming only performance the Intel's are still on top for the games that are out today, but maybe not being made today. As such it's a hard choice, and builds being updated soon will likely have splits on hardware.

E.G. if you do anything other than gaming for your PC Ryzen can be an excellent value.

At this very moment the Intels are superior, but the gap could narrow once some of the software bugs are ironed out. And the Ryzen could potentially come out ahead in the long run if games start taking advantage of the additional cores.

Good posts. I am considering upgrading this year. I want another CPU with i5 2500k levels of life. I also wonder if my GTX 970 is getting long in the tooth. Wonder how much life that has left?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Asrock Z170A-X1
Coesair CM 600 (I think)
Ripjaws DDR4 3000 8gbx2
Using onboard dvi.

Checked all connectors, checked for shorts, grounded during building, reseated cpu, proper grease, tried ram in all slot combinations (single and dual).

Case Fans go, motherboard controlled fans go, runs for ~8 seconds, auto reboots, then stays on. No video whatsoever.

Any ideas? Bad mobo? Bad cpu? Powersupply incompatable? Need to flash bios to support that cpu?
Are you not using the GPU display out when it is installed?

Try the trouble shooting steps in the second post. Often I find a simple 60s without power plugged in, then holding the power button to drain, then 60s plugged in (but not turned on) fixes these kinds of things.
[Help! My PC won't turn on/POST/Boot]

Check your manual for beep codes or debug LED display codes
Shutoff your PC, switch off the PSU, and unplug the power cable. Wait 10s and hold the power button to drain the remaining power out of the system
Check your power is on I and the correct Voltage (120V/240V)
Check that you plugged in the extra motherboard power (4 or 8 pin)
Reconnect all your cables (Data and Power)
Try a single stick of memory in the first RAM slot (read your manual), then try the other
Check for any loose screws or bits in the case and behind the motherboard
Check that you installed the motherboard standoff screws (Some cases have these pre-installed)
Remount the GPU on another PCI-E slot, or try no GPU
As a last step assemble the bare minimum outside the case (PSU, CPU, Heatsink, 1 stick of RAM, nothing else)

Smokey

I got some hardware today

33308893546_559ef74fb7_b.jpg

Finally got everything set up.

I'm going to have to send one of the ML Pros back in exchange for a 120mm version.. I don't understand how Corsair made an oversight on their own case in relation to their product, but they did. Any 140mm Corsair fan with extra padding will not fit in the exhaust. I ran into this when I first got the case, and completely forgot about it. All of my fans are now running off of the motherboard headers. All 3 ML's are running between 540 RPM - 570 RPM, with the 2 Kraken MLs set to silent. Can barely hear anything. The dominant noise I hear is actually the stock 140mm fan that came with case, but as I mentioned, I'm gonna take care of that with a 120mm variant of the Pro. Everything else is really quiet.

The NZKT looks really good, and makes the Corsair AIO products seem out of date. There's tons of modes in the software and overall seems more premium imo.

32510429684_16ceb38e87_b.jpg

I wasn't able to capture it well on my phone, but it looks amazing. You can see it here captured in 4k.

Bloodember

Asrock Z170A-X1
Coesair CM 600 (I think)
Ripjaws DDR4 3000 8gbx2
Using onboard dvi.

That mobo is for Skylake, is it in the newest bios? If not that is your problem. Only the newest bios rev supports kaby lake.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
My dilemma is whether I should get a 1700 or 7700k. I am leaning more towards the latter because everything is so optimized and easy right now. But.
My typical night is me having a stream on one monitor and multiple tabs and programs running on the other. I'll listen to music as well, chat with people, etc. Sometimes I'll be playing on steam or some other game somewhere.
If I go with the 7700k I know it's not as good for multitasking but I'm the type that lives in the present with slight future considerations. The 7700 is supposed to get updates to make it better. But how much better and if at all? If I were to get it I would have to deal with slower memory, not be able to overclock that high if at all and various other current issues with it.
So like this is what I have to think about every day until I get a chance to put together my build. Time is running out though.

My dilemma is whether I should get a 1700 or 7700k. I am leaning more towards the latter because everything is so optimized and easy right now. But.
My typical night is me having a stream on one monitor and multiple tabs and programs running on the other. I'll listen to music as well, chat with people, etc. Sometimes I'll be playing on steam or some other game somewhere.
If I go with the 7700k I know it's not as good for multitasking but I'm the type that lives in the present with slight future considerations. The 7700 is supposed to get updates to make it better. But how much better and if at all? If I were to get it I would have to deal with slower memory, not be able to overclock that high if at all and various other current issues with it.
So like this is what I have to think about every day until I get a chance to put together my build. Time is running out though.

I would just get the 7700k if I were you. Fast as hell and I don't think you really need more than 4/8.

LilJoka

Get the 7700k and clock it to 4.8-5Ghz.

Jamaro85

What's the best stress testing software for overclocking? I've seen people suggest Aida64, Realbench and Prime95. My PC passed Aida64 and Realbench with flying colours, and I've left it for hours encoding h264 with no issues, but Prime95 whinges about it. So I'm not sure what to believe. :p

You could have a configuration that runs 100% stable for all of your practical purposes that may crash in certain versions of Prime95. If you've passed all of those other benches I'd just go with your clock and worry about it if you notice any instability going forward.

If your h264 encoding was done with the x264 16 thread stress test and you ran that for many hours without a hitch then you're probably fine. My test for final stability determination was done using exactly that on an overnight run. At the same time there's a good chance a test using a newer version of Prime95 with heavy AVX testing would eventually fail with my overclock. However my computer has been as solid as can be for the weeks I've had it and ultimately that's what matters.

Vipu

Banned

Same problem here.
I kinda need new pc soon but not really in any hurry.
Checking if there is any fast updates to windows/bios for 1700 before I decide, if not then I will get 7700k

sono

So I completed my build yesterday, installed the drivers and ran some OC tests this morning.

My build consists of
Gigabyte Aorus Z270Z Gaming 7 Motherboard £224.64
GSkill Trident Z RGB 32G 3866 Memory £364.94
Gigabyte Extreme 1080 Premium Pack Graphics Card £659.44
Intel i7700K 4.2 purchased from SiliconLottery.com delid and tested at 5.1Ghz stable $508 US + UK VAT <<-- DO THIS PEOPLE
Thermaltake RGB Fan 360 mm AIO Water Cooler.£138.02
Plextor 512G Nvme M2 drive £254.28
Silver Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Case £139.26
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 80+ Gold Power Supply £144.99

So around £2500..

I run the system at 5.0GHz, which is rock solid, the cpu hasnt been above 65C.
img_20170310_093147003rsak.jpg

Thank you NeoGAF (and Google).

My only Gotcha was I bought a BluRay/DVD Rewriter however the Gaf suggested Phantex case doesnt support that internally. Didnt even think to check.. No big deal though..

ty_hot

My parents need 2 new computers:
1- chromebook
which is the cheapest option with 4gb of ram? If it wont change the price much, a chromebook with touchscreen and android apps support would be even better. The max I would pay is 250 but aiming closer (under?) the 200 pricepoint is ideal (I am importing it to Brazil, which will DOUBLE its price after taxes). My last chromebook (the first samsung, 2gb ram) lasted a few years with my mom, so I hope this one lasts as much. She needs a chromebook because if she have a windows she will install all kinds of toolbars that you can imagine.

2- laptop
They need a laptop for basic web browsing, but I want 8gb ram because its the absolute minimum I think it needs to have to be future proof. I'd like to know if there is a big difference between 5th and 7th generaion of intel processors (i5 probably)? I know they are faster and more battery efficient, but is it a huge difference? I cant find much comparisons about it. I also know that since the 4th gen there is 4k support (in the integrated intel vga), is there any other addition worth noting after that? we have a 4k@30 tv (huuuge input lag, but good enough for videos, which is what they might use) and I know that all the recent ones suppport it.

appaws

Banned

I'm going to have to send one of the ML Pros back in exchange for a 120mm version.. I don't understand how Corsair made an oversight on their own case in relation to their product, but they did. Any 140mm Corsair fan with extra padding will not fit in the exhaust. I ran into this when I first got the case, and completely forgot about it. All of my fans are now running off of the motherboard headers. All 3 ML's are running between 540 RPM - 570 RPM, with the 2 Kraken MLs set to silent. Can barely hear anything. The dominant noise I hear is actually the stock 140mm fan that came with case, but as I mentioned, I'm gonna take care of that with a 120mm variant of the Pro. Everything else is really quiet.

The NZKT looks really good, and makes the Corsair AIO products seem out of date. There's tons of modes in the software and overall seems more premium imo.

I wasn't able to capture it well on my phone, but it looks amazing. You can see it here captured in 4k.

Niiiice! I think these NZXT CLCs are the best looking ones ever.

Celcius

°Temp. member

I'd still go with the 7700k Kadey. Hyper-threading will help out with the multi-tasking and when the day comes that you really need 8 cores there will be newer & faster processors out. At the end of the day though trust your gut, as no one knows your usage patterns like you.

What's that video card with the white cover?

Dave_6

I love that cooler! With the 1080ti coming very soon, I think I've decided that I'm going to fully upgrade mine to the point that I'm going to just build another PC. Definitely going with that cooler and those same fans though.

I want to put my GTX 1070 Founders Edition up for sale in B/S/T, but I never know how to price these things. What's a decent price for a used 1070 FE in this post- 1080 Ti world? In the US if it matters.

Finally picked up a PC to dabble in PC gaming again after years away from it. Mostly just planning on playing the stuff I get from Humble Bundle deals, and at 1080p. I'll still use consoles for most new releases.

Anyway, it's a Lenovo desktop with a 6th Gen Intel Core i5-6400 Quad-Core 2.7GHz/3.3GHz Turbo Boost and 12GB DDR4 RAM. I need to replace the power supply (also had to buy a 10-pin converter cable, because Lenovo has weird power inputs on their motherboards), then add a video card.

Any suggestion as to what video card to get? I'd like to stay around $100 to $150. I'll probably be scoping out deals on SlickDeals to get one on a decent discount.

Finally picked up a PC to dabble in PC gaming again after years away from it. Mostly just planning on playing the stuff I get from Humble Bundle deals, and at 1080p. I'll still use consoles for most new releases.

Anyway, it's a Lenovo desktop with a 6th Gen Intel Core i5-6400 Quad-Core 2.7GHz/3.3GHz Turbo Boost and 12GB DDR4 RAM. I need to replace the power supply (also had to buy a 10-pin converter cable, because Lenovo has weird power inputs on their motherboards), then add a video card.

Any suggestion as to what video card to get? I'd like to stay around $100 to $150. I'll probably be scoping out deals on SlickDeals to get one on a decent discount.

If you're in the 150 dollar range, then your choice would be either a 1050 Ti, or an RX 470. Nominally the RX 470 is more expensive, but on places like Newegg you can find some cards with a decent enough rebate to bring them under 150.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
That mobo is for Skylake, is it in the newest bios? If not that is your problem. Only the newest bios rev supports kaby lake.

It was this, yeah. Found the sticker on it, p2.2, needs to be on p7.1 but without a cpu to get to the options... Kinda dumb.

Drain You

OK, I hope this is the right place to post this.

A co worker that I used to work with ( guess thats an ex co worker ) Wants me to build him a computer. He wants to record music I think, and his budget is around 500$.

I haven't had to buy components for a computer in a couple of years so I'd really like to know where I stand. If what I have thought out is bad please tell me. I'm welcome to any and all suggestions.

Corsair Carbide Series 200R Black Steel 54$
Seagate 1 TB hard drive 51$
EVGA 450W PSU 29$
Ballistix 16gb Ram ( 2x8gb ) 89$
ASRock B250M-HDV Motherboard 62$
Intel Core i5-6400 6 MB Skylake Quad-Core 2.7 GHz 182$

That comes to 472$

Can I skimp on the graphics card since he won't need it? or is there anything else I could possibly reduce the cost in?

Jezbollah

OK, I hope this is the right place to post this.

A co worker that I used to work with ( guess thats an ex co worker ) Wants me to build him a computer. He wants to record music I think, and his budget is around 500$.

I haven't had to buy components for a computer in a couple of years so I'd really like to know where I stand. If what I have thought out is bad please tell me. I'm welcome to any and all suggestions.

Corsair Carbide Series 200R Black Steel 54$
Seagate 1 TB hard drive 51$
EVGA 450W PSU 29$
Ballistix 16gb Ram ( 2x8gb ) 89$
ASRock B250M-HDV Motherboard 62$
Intel Core i5-6400 6 MB Skylake Quad-Core 2.7 GHz 182$

That comes to 472$

Can I skimp on the graphics card since he won't need it? or is there anything else I could possibly reduce the cost in?

If he wants to record music you should at the least look at getting a SSD.

Hey guys. So I have my PC part list all fleshed out but something is bothering me after picking up my CPU today. I bought a Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad processor which is the newest generation (I think kaby lake or something) and I'm looking to pair this with an Nvidia 1070. Would both of those go together fine? I was speaking to a guy on the line who I was picking it up with as well and he told me that going for an i7 with a 1070 is better than the i5 which threw me off and gave me second thoughts on that graphics card now &#128549;. Help...PS. first time pc builder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom