• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

0racle

What did it cost you?

449 canadian, then I sold the redemption code for wildands for 40, bringing it down to 410 canadian.

And believe it or not, I got a 100$ discount from amazon due to them leaving it on my porch, and the shipping box was highly damaged. I complained and they gave me that refund.

So all in? like 349 after tax canadian, which is like 260 USD !!

Alright, narrowed down primary components for new build.

This is going to be tight, y'all. Color theme is staying black and red.

Case: Thermaltake Core P5 Open-frame

Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero

CPU: Intel 7700k
CPU block: EK Supremacy EVO Lite

GPU: Stepping up to a 1080Ti Founder's
GPU block: EK TXP Acetal + Nickel with EK TXP red backplate

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED

SSD (PCI-E, Primary): Samsung 960 EVO Series - 500GB NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD

SSD (SATA, Secondary): Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
SSD (SATA, Tertiary): Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
SSD (SATA, what the fuck comes after "Tertiary"?): Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB

PSU: Corsair RM750x

Monitor: sticking with my beloved Dell U3415W

Mouse: sticking with my Logitech M705 (for now)

Keyboard: sticking with my Logitech K360 (for now)

Still sorting out rest of the water components but I know it'll be pump/res combo, 480 rad, hard tubes and red coolant.

Eventually, the setup will look like this but in red:

a1_092915.jpg

Alright. So, it's my birthday today and my dad asks me to pick him out a laptop. :\ I don't feel like doing it as I haven't done any research on them lately and have no idea what the market looks like right now and my wife has some other things planned. So was wondering if you guys could help.

He is willing to spend up to $500.

All he is going to use it for though is typing documents and watching movies and such.

He is getting on in years and his eyesight isn't the greatest so maybe a larger screen would help?

He was also a professional tile setter and general handyman his entire life so he has large fingers and hands so maybe bigger is better in this case. He seems to like the larger laptops since his older ones where huge. He used to have a Samsung satellite or something that was gigantic but he thought it was great lol.

He is wanting a laptop because he is constantly going places with his friends and family and he takes his "work" with him wherever he goes.

Would really appreciate any help. :)

EDIT: Forgot to mention that he specifically requested a windows PC with windows 10 lol.

robin2

Do yourself a favor and wait a bit longer so you can afford the 6GB version. 3GB is already a bad decision in 2017, way more so 4-5 years in the future.

If you wouldn't mind, I'd send you 30 bucks to help pay for the 6GB version if you send me a paypal address. No bad feelings if you don't want it, I'm just feeling nice tonight and wouldn't mind helping another gaffer out. :)
You are very generous and I thank you for that, but there no need; I'm not particularly short on money, it's more of a matter of principle, so it wouldn't be fair to accept your money.
I'll just wait and hope something happens, price-wise.

Vipu

Banned
What's your old system? I'm betting your cooler works, unless you are upgrading from 775. Could also try asking thermalright to send you a mounting kit for free, a lot of companies will do that provided you show them a receipt/invoice. That cooler is still pretty damn good.

But other than that, yeah, looks like a sweet build. I think 970s are still perfectly fine at 1080p/60, at 1080p/144 you probably have to dial some settings back to maintain your fps depending on what you are playing. Maybe consider selling your 970 and upgrading to 1070 (or 1080 if you are going to upgrade monitors to 1440p/144fps) for much better frame times and IQ.

What's your current CPU?

xeon x5670 @ 4,2
7-8y old mobo
7-8y old corsair 520w psu
7-8y old 1033mhz 6gb ddr

Bliany

Alright. So, it's my birthday today and my dad asks me to pick him out a laptop. :\

All he is going to use it for though is typing documents and watching movies and such.

Haha, well happy Birthday to you :p

For your dad's laptop you might consider a Chromebook if he's mainly using for simple tasks. They are light, cheap, and perhaps more simple to use. This new one from Samsung looks really nice and is within your price range. The screen is maybe not as big as you want, but it has a nice high resolution and touch capabilities.

Haha, well happy Birthday to you :p

For your dad's laptop you might consider a Chromebook if he's mainly using for simple tasks. They are light, cheap, and perhaps more simple to use. This new one from Samsung looks really nice and is within your price range. The screen is maybe not as big as you want, but it has a nice high resolution and touch capabilities.

Thanks man!

He is really used to using Windows and specifically requested it. He isn't very tech minded at all. So I'd rather keep it in the Windows PC family if you know what I mean.

Bliany

Thanks man!

He is really used to using Windows and specifically requested it. He isn't very tech minded at all. So I'd rather keep it in the Windows PC family if you know what I mean.

Ya i can understand that. I am not too in touch with laptops these days either. Just happened to see that Chromebook the other day. Since you're probably not too worried about performance, I'd just look for something with a really nice screen and overall build quality.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Alright, narrowed down primary components for new build.

This is going to be tight, y'all. Color theme is staying black and red.

Case: Thermaltake Core P5 Open-frame

Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero

CPU: Intel 7700k
CPU block: EK Supremacy EVO Lite

GPU: Stepping up to a 1080Ti Founder's
GPU block: EK TXP Acetal + Nickel with EK TXP red backplate

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED

SSD (PCI-E, Primary): Samsung 960 EVO Series - 500GB NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD

SSD (SATA, Secondary): Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
SSD (SATA, Tertiary): Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
SSD (SATA, what the fuck comes after "Tertiary"?): Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB

PSU: Corsair RM750x

Monitor: sticking with my beloved Dell U3415W

Mouse: sticking with my Logitech M705 (for now)

Keyboard: sticking with my Logitech K360 (for now)

Still sorting out rest of the water components but I know it'll be pump/res combo, 480 rad, hard tubes and red coolant.

Eventually, the setup will look like this but in red:

Word of warning about that case, the PCI-E riser cable it comes with is REALLY bad. an unshielded mess thats caused many many users terrible troubles trying to figure out why their GPU's were acting up. Unstable systems, weird frame rates, random blue screens or tons of display driver resets. The problem was found to be the extremely horrible PCIE riser cable. They've started making new ones that seem to be slightly better, but you'll have to go through an RMA process to get it if you get one of the ones currently on shelves.

IF you do get a bad one, you can set your PCIe mode to gen2 in your bios and that seems to help alot of people get through using the bad cable until the good one arives. Seems the cable can handle the lower bandwith requirments of pcie gen2.

Wondering if there is a recommended way to use dual monitors with a single video card output.

I have a 970 that doesn't have dual video outputs--it's just a single VGA. What is the best way to get a dual monitor setup from this single card? I thought it might just be getting a signal splitter but the image quality on both monitors seemed severely degraded (dim, some weird artifacts, etc.).

hoserx

Your mobo has an auto OC feature right? Probably accessed thru the BIOS and also a button on the board. That's literally one click.

Also, in terms of software for more and better options, Gigabyte has Easy Tune that you should be able to download from your mobo model website if you don't have a disk reader for whatever software came packaged in the box.

Same boat, I have't heard anything.

Thanks for the reply!

appaws

Banned
Holy fucking GPU Jackpot batman !!

449 canadian, then I sold the redemption code for wildands for 40, bringing it down to 410 canadian.

And believe it or not, I got a 100$ discount from amazon due to them leaving it on my porch, and the shipping box was highly damaged. I complained and they gave me that refund.

So all in? like 349 after tax canadian, which is like 260 USD !!

Score.

hoserx

Wondering if there is a recommended way to use dual monitors with a single video card output.

I have a 1070 that doesn't have dual video outputs--it's just a single VGA. What is the best way to get a dual monitor setup from this single card? I thought it might just be getting a signal splitter but the image quality on both monitors seemed severely degraded (dim, some weird artifacts, etc.).

wait what? you have a GTX 1070 that only has VGA as the video output? what?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Alright. So, it's my birthday today and my dad asks me to pick him out a laptop. :\ I don't feel like doing it as I haven't done any research on them lately and have no idea what the market looks like right now and my wife has some other things planned. So was wondering if you guys could help.

He is getting on in years and his eyesight isn't the greatest so maybe a larger screen would help?

He was also a professional tile setter and general handyman his entire life so he has large fingers and hands so maybe bigger is better in this case. He seems to like the larger laptops since his older ones where huge. He used to have a Samsung satellite or something that was gigantic but he thought it was great lol.

He is wanting a laptop because he is constantly going places with his friends and family and he takes his "work" with him wherever he goes.

Would really appreciate any help. :)

EDIT: Forgot to mention that he specifically requested a windows PC with windows 10 lol.

hmm, today's your birthday and your dad asks you to pick out a laptop for him?
dude, the laptop is gonna be a suprise present for you!

I need some quick help. About a month ago I asked for opinions on differents pc parts and decided to go with a NZXT S340 for the case, which can fit a Coolermaster Seidon 120v (something my current case can't handle). The problem is that it's sold out here where I live, so I was wondering if you could point me to another case that can fit the Seidon 120v and it's also good, hopefully on the same price range or cheaper (here in Chile the NZXT costs almost double what it costs in the US)

Word of warning about that case, the PCI-E riser cable it comes with is REALLY bad. an unshielded mess thats caused many many users terrible troubles trying to figure out why their GPU's were acting up. Unstable systems, weird frame rates, random blue screens or tons of display driver resets. The problem was found to be the extremely horrible PCIE riser cable. They've started making new ones that seem to be slightly better, but you'll have to go through an RMA process to get it if you get one of the ones currently on shelves.

IF you do get a bad one, you can set your PCIe mode to gen2 in your bios and that seems to help alot of people get through using the bad cable until the good one arives. Seems the cable can handle the lower bandwith requirments of pcie gen2.

Thanks man. I actually read about it on overclock.net. I'm not even going to bother using it.

dragn

anyone any experience with msi z170 boards? i cant get my damn his 390 out of my z170-a pro motherboard <.<

that clip is the same as the ones from the ram sticks but i wont move

Qwyjibo

So my EVGA GTX 1080 came in today and holy shit. My R9 390 was doing a solid job but I couldn't resist this very rare price drop for us Canadians. I tried out the Witcher 3 and being able to play it on ultra at 1440p with a consistent 60 fps is orgasmic.

A friend just bought an EVGA GTX 1070 SC, do they still have their problem with their BOIS from a while back and should he update something or is he good to go ?

Did my first build, I was a fucking surgeon on it, everything looks fantastic

But it doesn't boot :(

I've got a

MSI Sli Plus
GTX 1080
Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Corsair 650x

In a Fractal Design C case

I boot it, fans are working, graphics card lights up, motherboard leds light up, and the weirdest thing is the MSI EZ Debug LED (which turn red if they don't detect CPU/GPU/RAM/Mobo) stay off.

It's killing me. I'm going to try the DVI output instead of the HDMI (have to buy a DVI-HDMI cable now first) to see if that outputs anything but apart from that I'm stumped.

Take out the RAM and reseat it. Alternatively, use a motherboard speaker to troubleshoot from beep codes.

The beeps would have additional info compared to the debug leds?

And yeah the RAM was first order of business. It clicked audibly though. But I'll reseat them after I check DVI.

hoserx

Shit, sorry. It's a 970. Had a brainfart--got this Alienware Aurora R5 back on Black Friday and I tried to get the 1070 version but waited too long :(

Anyway, it's a 970, sorry.

wait what? You have a gtx 970 that only has one video output, and it's analog? VGA? Are you sure it isn't DVI?

pa22word

Did my first build, I was a fucking surgeon on it, everything looks fantastic

But it doesn't boot :(

I've got a

MSI Sli Plus
GTX 1080
Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Corsair 650x

In a Fractal Design C case

I boot it, fans are working, graphics card lights up, motherboard leds light up, and the weirdest thing is the MSI EZ Debug LED (which turn red if they don't detect CPU/GPU/RAM/Mobo) stay off.

It's killing me. I'm going to try the DVI output instead of the HDMI (have to buy a DVI-HDMI cable now first) to see if that outputs anything but apart from that I'm stumped.

Have you tried running an hdmi cable from the motherboard to your monitor/tv?

Shot in the dark, but may be something up with your GPU. I remember some people saying there was some weirdness with Nvidia and HDMI a while back, but I don't know if that's still the case.

Have you tried running an hdmi cable from the motherboard to your monitor/tv?

Shot in the dark, but may be something up with your GPU. I remember some people saying there was some weirdness with Nvidia and HDMI a while back, but I don't know if that's still the case.
Unfortunately yes. I tried HDMI outputs on both mobo and GPU. Heading home to try a DVI cable now.

Shouldn't the RAM ez debug leds light up if that's the problem? They light up if they don't detect RAM...

Depends on what the motherboard is measuring. It might detect the RAM is physically engaged, but not care or incorrectly measure whether or not it's fully working.

Also worth making sure both the GPU and power cables are properly seated. Ran into that issue when I swapped out my motherboard and CPU a month and a half ago.

Depends on what the motherboard is measuring. It might detect the RAM is physically engaged, but not care or incorrectly measure whether or not it's fully working.

Also worth making sure both the GPU and power cables are properly seated. Ran into that issue when I swapped out my motherboard and CPU a month and a half ago.
Sounds like a good plan! It's much appreciated, thanks!

Ok, so I removed 1 of the RAM sticks and checked all the cabling, turned it on and now the new thing is that the VGA light stayed on for a while and then turned off.

I guess I have to reseat the GPU?

(sorry for bumping with double post)

I need some quick help. About a month ago I asked for opinions on differents pc parts and decided to go with a NZXT S340 for the case, which can fit a Coolermaster Seidon 120v (something my current case can't handle). The problem is that it's sold out here where I live, so I was wondering if you could point me to another case that can fit the Seidon 120v and it's also good, hopefully on the same price range or cheaper (here in Chile the NZXT costs almost double what it costs in the US)

Anyone?

emigre

Would appreciate some advice here on my new build which has come into problems.

I was playing TF2 and my GPU went all haywire with crazy screen flickering and crashing the system. Every time I load it up, I'm getting screen flickering or the blue screen of death. Things work fine and I connect my HDMI cable to the monitor to my motherboard which at least confirms W10 and my monitor is working fine. However, when I connect the HDMI from the GPU to monitor, I get either the screen flickering or blue screen of death.

The issue is, to me at least, lies in the GPU. I've tried reinstalling the drivers but this worked to no avail. Tonight, I'm going to open it up and take out the GPU and place it back in my monitor and reinstall my drivers. If this doesn't work, is it safe to assume the GPU is fucked? I should be able to get a refund as I'm comfortably in the warranty period.

I'm rocking:
Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor
16GB DDR4 Memory
AMD Radeon RX 470 4GB STRIX Video Card
Corsair CXM 450W power supply.

Inskipp

Hi gang!

I'm planning a PC-tower for a friend, operating on a ~1000€ range. I'm a little over with my budget (~1250€) since I've been mostly trying to find good value propositions, so I'm curious if you guys have any notes on what can be improved/optimized better on the build?

The build in its current state:

Case - Bitfenix Shinobi - 64,9€ (Link)
CPU - i5-7600k - 275€ (Link)
GPU - MSI Geforce GTX 1060 OCV1, 6GB - 289€ (Link)
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3P - 149€ (Link)
SDD - Samsung 850 EVO, 250GB - 114,9€ (Link)
HDD - Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black - 95,9€ (Link)
RAM - G.Skill 16GB 2x8gb, RIPJAWS V - 149 € (Link)
PSU - Seasonic 620W, 80+ Bronze - 89,9€ (Link)
Fan - Corsair 120mm ML120 x2 - 29€ (Link)

Running through finnish vendors with this one, and used hinta.fi - site for price comparisons. Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

Would appreciate some advice here on my new build which has come into problems.

I was playing TF2 and my GPU went all haywire with crazy screen flickering and crashing the system. Every time I load it up, I'm getting screen flickering or the blue screen of death. Things work fine and I connect my HDMI cable to the monitor to my motherboard which at least confirms W10 and my monitor is working fine. However, when I connect the HDMI from the GPU to monitor, I get either the screen flickering or blue screen of death.

The issue is, to me at least, lies in the GPU. I've tried reinstalling the drivers but this worked to no avail. Tonight, I'm going to open it up and take out the GPU and place it back in my monitor and reinstall my drivers. If this doesn't work, is it safe to assume the GPU is fucked? I should be able to get a refund as I'm comfortably in the warranty period.

I'm rocking:
Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor
16GB DDR4 Memory
AMD Radeon RX 470 4GB STRIX Video Card
Corsair CXM 450W power supply.

If it's just TF2 causing issues, reset graphics settings to default and check. And have you tried using something other than HDMI from the card?

If it's hardware the usual culprits are lack of power or over-heating. How long you had that PSU? Does the card feel really hot when the crashes happen?

emigre

If it's just TF2 causing issues, reset graphics settings to default and check. And have you tried using something other than HDMI from the card?

If it's hardware the usual culprits are lack of power or over-heating. How long you had that PSU? Does the card feel really hot when the crashes happen?

Thanks for the response. The whole screen flickers no matter what when connected to the GPU. I'll do what you said about resetting TF2 settings. I haven't tried using an alternative to HDMI mainly because I don't have an alternative cable to use other than HDMI. I can get my hands on other cables easily.

I've had the PSU for a few weeks and it's fine (checked before buying on PC picker). I will check if the GPU gets hot tonight.

Thanks for the response. The whole screen flickers no matter what when connected to the GPU. I'll do what you said about resetting TF2 settings. I haven't tried using an alternative to HDMI mainly because I don't have an alternative cable to use other than HDMI. I can get my hands on other cables easily.

I've had the PSU for a few weeks and it's fine (checked before buying on PC picker). I will check if the GPU gets hot tonight.

Yeah I guess either way you'd be going for warranty as it's either the card as a whole or if another input is fine then it's just HDMI connection, though I'd be surprised if it were the latter. But at least you could tell warranty provider hey I've used every input and the shit's broke.

Hi gang!

I'm planning a PC-tower for a friend, operating on a ~1000€ range. I'm a little over with my budget (~1250€) since I've been mostly trying to find good value propositions, so I'm curious if you guys have any notes on what can be improved/optimized better on the build?

The build in its current state:

Running through finnish vendors with this one, and used hinta.fi - site for price comparisons. Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

You could definitely get a smaller (as in: less wattage) PSU. That systems is probably gonna sth. like 300W, even if the CPU is overclocked. Have you looked into importing a few of the parts? Most prices strike me as very expensive compared to Germany.
What's the price of the RX480 8GB in Finland? Might safe a little on that one if the RX is significantly cheaper.

Inskipp

You could definitely get a smaller (as in: less wattage) PSU. That systems is probably gonna sth. like 300W, even if the CPU is overclocked. Have you looked into importing a few of the parts? Most prices strike me as very expensive compared to Germany.
What's the price of the RX480 8GB in Finland? Might safe a little on that one if the RX is significantly cheaper.
Should I aim for a 80+ gold/platinum if I go for a smaller wattage? Any particular manufacturer to keep an eye on?

I will admit that I haven't dabbled with importing much. I recall checking some UK prices and the differences in price seemed marginal at the time I checked. Which german retailers would you recommend checking out?

The cheapest RX480 I could find in FIN is for this one, at 269€.

of course, it just wont move at all. im pulling the card + pressing the release thing down with a crewdriver

Eh, you removed the screws near the back of the case too right? What case btw? My newest case has an additional piece of metal you have to usncrew that prevents any PCI hardware from sliding out, in addition to the normal screws.

emigre

Yeah I guess either way you'd be going for warranty as it's either the card as a whole or if another input is fine then it's just HDMI connection, though I'd be surprised if it were the latter. But at least you could tell warranty provider hey I've used every input and the shit's broke.

Still having issues, the BSOD is telling meVideo TDR Failure. I think my card is fucked. Time to get my money.

Can anyone recommend any good GPUs for around £175?

dragn

Eh, you removed the screws near the back of the case too right? What case btw? My newest case has an additional piece of metal you have to usncrew that prevents any PCI hardware from sliding out, in addition to the normal screws.

i build my pcs since 15 years, its stuck. i got this haf x case since 4 years. its the damn motherboard or his card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom