• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

SOLDIER

It's essentially top of the line, and a good deal in the sense that you're getting a reasonable discount compared to buying all the parts new.

However, It's kind of... unnecessarily expensive. I mean, nothing is totally a waste, but it really is a super high-end build.

Example: You're not gonna see a huge difference by using 3733 MHz RAM instead of 2933 MHz RAM; it's probably not worth the extra $80.

You probably don't need a 1300w PSU; it's another wasted $100.

You probably don't need that CPU cooler when a high-quality air cooler can be as quiet and just as cool, but cost $80 less.

The 7700k is the king right now... but tomorrow (as in, October 5th), you can buy an 8700k for around the same price - and that 8700k is a significant upgrade thanks to the extra 2 cores and 4 threads.

So, if it were me, and I had nearly $2,000 to spend on a PC, I'd really consider if it is worth it to buy a used PC that is somewhat made-up of unnecessary extras. I'd almost assuredly go for new parts instead; you'll still be able to get 16 GB of RAM, a 1080 Ti, an 8700k, a case/mobo/SSD/HDD/PSU/fans/etc. I will say, as of today, it's basically the best gaming PC you can buy. The problem is the timing; tomorrow, you can get a much better CPU that'll last you for quite a few years more than that 7700k will. That makes it really hard to justify dropping $2,000 on what is essentially one day away from being outdated hardware.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll probably just upgrade my existing PC. I’m still waiting for a 4K GPU to become affordable before I take the plunge.

If you are interested in ultrawide, their deal on the Acer monitor is a good deal though. Hard to find it cheaper than that.

Does the monitor do 4K and HDR?

kuYuri

Thanks for the advice. I’ll probably just upgrade my existing PC. I’m still waiting for a 4K GPU to become affordable before I take the plunge.

Does the monitor do 4K and HDR?

The monitor does neither and I don't believe an ultrawide 4K monitor exists yet.

Pokemaniac

64GBs of RAM and 2TBs of NVMe storage? I assume that's for a very specific purpose?

The Maximus line of boards has always been good. I'm on a IX Code right now - love it - and came from a Maximus IV.

The storage is for dual booting. It's not strictly speaking necessary, but having entirely separate drives simplifies setup considerably, and means I don't have to worry about potentially resizing partitions later.

The RAM is admittedly more of a "because I can" thing. The real reason I'm going that high is because I don't want a machine that is weaker than my work laptop in any respect, but it's not like I'm not going to find ways to use it. I tend to keep lots of browser tabs open, I use VMs on occasion, and I'm probably going to do some software dev things where having a bit of extra RAM is desirable.

Mrbob

That would have been a good pickup.

I think the reviews for the new Intel cpus have an embargo that expire at 9am Eastern Tomorrow.

hello everyone,
so i'm finally getting around to building my PC which will mainly be for music production and a bit of lovely gaming on the side & here's what i've chose so far -

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2FnTGf
Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2FnTGf/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor (£251.94 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard (£74.30 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£140.40 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Western Digital - Black 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£171.71 @ More Computers)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£51.99 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB ROG STRIX Video Card (£251.45 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£86.99 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £1028.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-04 21:23 BST+0100

is there anything obvious that i'm missing, or should change? i've got a case that should fit, unless things have changed in the past ten years or so, and i need to include windows 10 from somewhere.

hello everyone,
so i'm finally getting around to building my PC which will mainly be for music production and a bit of lovely gaming on the side & here's what i've chose so far -

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2FnTGf
Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2FnTGf/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor (£251.94 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard (£74.30 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£140.40 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Western Digital - Black 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£171.71 @ More Computers)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£51.99 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB ROG STRIX Video Card (£251.45 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£86.99 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £1028.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-04 21:23 BST+0100

is there anything obvious that i'm missing, or should change? i've got a case that should fit, unless things have changed in the past ten years or so, and i need to include windows 10 from somewhere.

Really good build IMO. No suggestions. Enjoy it!

Gonna pull the trigger on this overkill soon; no more patience for that 8-core CFL.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jwK8pb

Beast mode.

Don't forget to buy a bunch of RGB strips.

Gonna pull the trigger on this overkill soon; no more patience for that 8-core CFL.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jwK8pb

I dare you to go all out and put that build in one of these cases.

IMG_1378.jpg

taoofjord

Okay so here's what I'm looking to build. Let me know if there's anything I should swap out! Goal is for 1440p, 144hz, gaming at max settings (and only gaming. I use my work laptop for productivity).

Case - Phanteks Eclipse P400 (already have)

Case fans - be quiet! SILENTWINGS 3 PWM 140mm (x2)

GPU - GTX 1080 (already have)

Motherboard - MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC (already have)

CPU - Intel i7-8700K

CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-D15S 140mm

RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB DDR4 3000

SSD - (already have, forget what this is)

Hard Drive - WD 1TB 3.5 Mainstream HD 7200 (already have)

PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G3

Okay so here's what I'm looking to build. Let me know if there's anything I should swap out! Goal is for 1440p, 144hz, gaming at max settings (and only gaming. I use my work laptop for productivity).

Case - Phanteks Eclipse P400 (already have)

Case fans - be quiet! SILENTWINGS 3 PWM 140mm (x2)

GPU - GTX 1080 (already have)

Motherboard - MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

CPU - Intel i7-8700K

CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-D15S 140mm

RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB DDR4 3000

SSD - (already have, forget what this is)

Hard Drive - WD 1TB 3.5 Mainstream HD 7200 (already have)

PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G3

Should be good, assuming 8700k benchmarks hold up. The 1080 will do well at for 1440p/144Hz.

I'll update the builds in the OP once benchmarks are out and a little time has passed. Gotta see where prices and availability fall too. Gonna beat interesting to see what happens in the midrange CPU market especially.

taoofjord

Should be good, assuming 8700k benchmarks hold up. The 1080 will do well at for 1440p/144Hz.

Anything unusual I need to know about when I put this together?

Will I have to/should I do a clean install of windows 10 or can I just pop in my SSD and hard drive without any issues?

Will I need to mes with anything in the bios?

In the past, someone built a PC for me that was rebooting from static electricity shocks (before it eventually died), both on the case and after it travelled from a light switch to the outlets the PC was plugged into. How so I make sure this is properly grounded?

DKF590

Hey guys, hoping I can get a little bit of advice. Can't quite justify a cpu upgrade yet as my 4670k is mostly doing fine. But I'm craving just a little bit more out of my cpu to last me til I do a rebuild next year.

Any recommendation for a good cpu cooler if I'm willing to spend a decent bit ($100?). Never was able to push my 4670k past 4.1ghz as it gets really hot with my Hyper 212+ EVO. I figure a good cooler to push 4.5+ ghz makes more sense for me right now than a full system upgrade.

Using a GTX 1080 at 1080p 144hz so I could use just a bit more out of my CPU.

Hey guys, hoping I can get a little bit of advice. Can't quite justify a cpu upgrade yet as my 4670k is mostly doing fine. But I'm craving just a little bit more out of my cpu to last me til I do a rebuild next year.

Any recommendation for a good cpu cooler if I'm willing to spend a decent bit ($100?). Never was able to push my 4670k past 4.1ghz as it gets really hot with my Hyper 212+ EVO. I figure a good cooler to push 4.5+ ghz makes more sense for me right now than a full system upgrade.

How hot does it get at 4.1ghz (or higher, whatevery ou tested it at)? What vcore are you using? Honestly I would probably just save the $100 and save up for when you do upgrade your CPU.

DKF590

How hot does it get at 4.1ghz (or higher, whatevery ou tested it at)? What vcore are you using? Honestly I would probably just save the $100 and save up for when you do upgrade your CPU.

At 1.22 vcore. Really limited by temps it seems. Temps go past 80c in stress tests if I go any higher on the vcore. Same cooler let me hit 4.5+ on my 2500k but it does not seem to be doing the job for a 4670k.

Should probably just be patient but PUBG has reinvigorated my will to upgrade.

OK PC-Gaf.

I need a small, quiet PC for my mum to play games on. Preferably pre-built as I don't have time to build one. Am in the UK.

She plays Peggle, Lemmings, Repton. I'd like her to try Spelunky. She will use the Candy Crush App on Windows 10.

So we're really talking basic stuff.

Ideally I'd like one of those truly teeny tiny all in one boxes you can hold in the palm of your hand but I fear they'd still be sluggish - I've seen one for around £300 with HD400 graphics and N3060 CPU but I think that's probably a bit underpowered even for what she needs.

Any ideas/recommendations?

Anything unusual I need to know about when I put this together?

Will I have to/should I do a clean install of windows 10 or can I just pop in my SSD and hard drive without any issues?

Will I need to mes with anything in the bios?

In the past, someone built a PC for me that was rebooting from static electricity shocks (before it eventually died), both on the case and after it travelled from a light switch to the outlets the PC was plugged into. How so I make sure this is properly grounded?

1) Clean installs are always highly recommend.
2) BIOS would only be needed to overclock your CPU or RAM. There's no other reason I can think of you'll need to enter the BIOS.
3)It sounds like your old build had the motherboard touching the case rather than being on the standoffs/risers. With your new case, refer to the manual's section on motherboard installation. If it says you need to install standoffs, make sure you do so.

OK PC-Gaf.

I need a small, quiet PC for my mum to play games on.

She plays Peggle, Lemmings, Repton. I'd like her to try Spelunky. She will use the Candy Crush App on Windows 10.

Ideally I'd like one of those truly teeny tiny all in one boxes you can hold in the palm of your hand but I fear they'd still be sluggish - I've seen one for around £300 with HD400 graphics and N3060 CPU but I think that's probably a bit underpowered even for what she needs.

Maybe this case and an Intel G4560 or G4600? 2x4 GB of RAM, a mini ITX motherboard with built-in wifi, and an SSD?

Maybe this case and an Intel G4560 or G4600? 2x4 GB of RAM, a mini ITX motherboard with built-in wifi, and an SSD?

Looks good - unfortunately with two small children I'd prefer off the shelf (probably should have mentioned that in my original post!) as I don't really have time or inclination to build a PC even if it only takes a couple of hours. UK based too btw. Thanks for the advice though.

OK PC-Gaf.

I need a small, quiet PC for my mum to play games on.

If you're looking to rely solely on an integrated graphics solution, I'd probably suggest something out of the recent AMD line of APUs, like the A8-9600. Yeah they're still rather underpowered, but they rather best the G4560 for performance when going without a GPU. Further problem is that you're gonna be looking at a price point above £300 if you want any kind of decently sized SSD in there. Without it, you can slot in a terabyte harddrive and a power supply while keeping under that price, but I don't really know any truly tiny PC cases that also accept a harddrive.

Edit: Ah, just saw the bit on how you don't have time to build. Will look around more.

tombo85

Anyone has any experience building in a Cougar Panzer case?

specs and such.

Is it quiet? Planning for a build for Christmas. 7x120mm fans, dual rads, the works.
I just replaced my old case with this over the weekend. I installed a Corsair h100i v2 with no problems. If you haven't, watch Jayztwocents video on it.

If you're looking to rely solely on an integrated graphics solution, I'd probably suggest something out of the recent AMD line of APUs, like the A8-9600. Yeah they're still rather underpowered, but they rather best the G4560 for performance when going without a GPU. Further problem is that you're gonna be looking at a price point above £300 if you want any kind of decently sized SSD in there. Without it, you can slot in a terabyte harddrive and a power supply while keeping under that price, but I don't really know any truly tiny PC cases that also accept a harddrive.

Edit: Ah, just saw the bit on how you don't have time to build. Will look around more.

The price isn't a major issue, although obviously there's a value for money question once we stray too high. Although she will put an insane amount of hours in on it.

You already know.
0smxdce.jpg

Ahahah.

Am pretty hyped for this Ryzen build. Been a while, AMD.

I've got an old PC from 2005 that I got from Toy's R Us that I was really damn tempted to rip apart and use the case for my current build. The I/O has a cover that flips down. Always really liked how it looks.

When in doubt, get a Noctua.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C9FLSLY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

thenexus6

I setup a notification on Hot UK Deals to let me know when 1060 deals pop up and i've had maybe 5 or 6 within the last week. I hope that means prices are falling stabilizing now.

8700K back ordered.

Now how do I cool this fucker? Do I just stick with 240mm AIO or look towards a 360mm kit?

Wait for benchmarks to figure out the cooling. I suspect GamersNexus will have some great reviews especially related to thermals.

My guess is that a 240 AIO will be plenty unless you are going for a 5 GHz OC... then maybe a 360. Depends how shitty of TIM they used this time around and whether you'll need to delid.

Easy Breezy

Neo Member
I'm going to have 4 case fans, but the mobo I have (Asrock Z270 Taichi) has the following fan headers:

1 x CPU Fan Connector (4-pin)**
- 1 x CPU Optional/Water Pump Fan Connector (4-pin) (Smart Fan Speed Control)***
- 2 x Chassis Fan Connectors (4-pin) (Smart Fan Speed Control)
- 1 x Chassis Optional/Water Pump Fan Connector (4-pin) (Smart Fan Speed Control)****

Am I able to connect the 4th fan into the CPU Optional/Water Pump Fan header or will I need a splitter for one of the chassis headers?

Thanks in advance, guys. :)

Reviews are coming out for the Coffee Lake launch today. Just saw GamersNexus' went up but haven't had a chance to read it yet. Super excited to see things.

EDIT: My initial thoughts are that 8700k is minimally (5%?) better than the 7700k at single-core tasks, but in multi-core, is substantially better, aided by the 2 extra cores and 4 extra threads. The 8700k is more or less +/-10% versus the Ryzen 7-series, seemingly ahead in some tasks (barely) or behind in some tasks (barely - with a few exceptions that Ryzen seems to kick some extra butt at).

Gotta read a lot more before I can see where we go with recommended builds in the OP, but initially, I'm thinking that quite a few of the AMD builds will be taken off the list with Intel builds replacing them, depending on price/availability.

I'm still waiting for a 4K GPU to become affordable before I take the plunge.

As always I'm compelled to point out that there won't truly be a "4k GPU" until all games are standard 4k.

Everything depends on the games. The 1080Ti came out in March and there were already two games it struggled with on 4k (Watch Dogs 2, Ghost Recon Wildlands).

The first Volta cards will be much faster but it will be the same thing - at the time of release or shortly thereafter release there will already be titles that stress it at 4k.

The hardware is static (minus marginal improvements via drivers or game updates) but the software isn't (from the perspective of software as a whole). Games continue to become more and more demanding.

I just mention this because I've read about a lot of disappointments from people who dropped money on a flagship card and they can't believe that there's already a game or two that it doesn't destroy at 4k.

As always I'm compelled to point out that there won't truly be a "4k GPU" until all games are standard 4k.

Everything depends on the games. The 1080Ti came out in March and there were already two games it struggled with on 4k (Watch Dogs 2, Ghost Recon Wildlands).

The first Volta cards will be much faster but it will be the same thing - at the time of release or shortly thereafter release there will already be titles that stress it at 4k.

The hardware is static (minus marginal improvements via drivers or game updates) but the software isn't (from the perspective of software as a whole). Games continue to become more and more demanding.

I just mention this because I've read about a lot of disappointments from people who dropped money on a flagship card and they can't believe that there's already a game or two that it doesn't destroy at 4k.

Even when/if 4K becomes the standard, and all cards can do 4K games, they'll be games that struggle to hit 60FPS at 4K in some games. Just like how right now, there's some games where the 1050Ti struggles to max them out and hit 60FPS.

Pokemaniac

Well, I've got the i7-8700k and Asus Maximus X Hero ordered from Newegg now. Though the CPU is backordered unfortunately :/ I'll probably keep checking other storefronts to see if I can get that quicker elsewhere.

Now I just need to pick up the RAM, and I'll have all the necessary parts to build my PC.

Hi guys, I can't make new topics just yet and I am stumped with a PC issue. Well, more like a capture card issue. Would any PC god's be able to help me out? If not, it's cool. Just gonna pop some more headache tablets since my head feels like it's gonna explode.

Even over PM is cool, just so as not to clutter the topic.

Hi guys, I can't make new topics just yet and I am stumped with a PC issue. Well, more like a capture card issue. Would any PC god's be able to help me out? If not, it's cool. Just gonna pop some more headache tablets since my head feels like it's gonna explode.

Even over PM is cool, just so as not to clutter the topic.

Drop the details, man. See if I can help out any.

Drop the details, man. See if I can help out any.

Thank you so much! I will try and keep it brief!

Goal - stream Sega Dreamcast original hardware on PC.

PC hardware - Elgato HD60 Pro

Issue - 480p59.94 not supported error message in Elgato Game Capture software.

Whilst that is the issue, I am more wondering about these VGA to HDMI converters you can buy and despite Google offering up various answers, I have to ask, is there a difference??? Is the converter box not the right piece of middleman hardware between the Dreamcast and the Elgato? There are "upscalers" advertised on Amazon etc, but I don't want to put myself in the hole for anymore money, if they all do the same thing ie. Convert means the same as upscale.

It's driving me insane :-/

Thank you so much! I will try and keep it brief!

Goal - stream Sega Dreamcast original hardware on PC.

PC hardware - Elgato HD60 Pro

Issue - 480p59.94 not supported error message in Elgato Game Capture software.

Whilst that is the issue, I am more wondering about these VGA to HDMI converters you can buy and despite Google offering up various answers, I have to ask, is there a difference??? Is the converter box not the right piece of middleman hardware between the Dreamcast and the Elgato? There are "upscalers" advertised on Amazon etc, but I don't want to put myself in the hole for anymore money, if they all do the same thing ie. Convert means the same as upscale.

It's driving me insane :-/

Not the kinda question I was expecting haha. Hmm,

What cables are using now to hook the Dreamcast up to the Elgato. Reply with a PM.

Haahaahaa it's cool bud. I found the answer deep within some Dreamcast forums. Long story short, Elgato deliberately don't support that input specifically as it damages the consumer purchase of its other cards, and as a result a lot of people sold theirs on in favor of other capture cards.

Either way, I still don't know the last question of if there is a difference between a VGA to HDMI converter and upscaler.

I run 2x 7970 in crossfire, and I'm getting sick of them having lacking support for games at launch. No more multi card for me. I'm seriously considering buying a GTX1070 but I feel like the 2xxx series of cards coming from Nvidia will arrive soon, it's the endless debate of do I wait or not. I shouldn't even make this post because who the heck knows with nvidia but I just wanted to get your opinion on the matter before I make any decisions. Cheers GAF.

I run 2x 7970 in crossfire, and I'm getting sick of them having lacking support for games at launch. No more multi card for me. I'm seriously considering buying a GTX1070 but I feel like the 2xxx series of cards coming from Nvidia will arrive soon, it's the endless debate of do I wait or not. I shouldn't even make this post because who the heck knows with nvidia but I just wanted to get your opinion on the matter before I make any decisions. Cheers GAF.

Well the 1070 Ti will be out soon I think? That might cause 1070 prices to drop a bit, though I don't really know anything about the Ti.

Personally I don't think we're going to see Volta for like another 6 months, so I would just replace your current setup myself.

Well the 1070 Ti will be out soon I think? That might cause 1070 prices to drop a bit, though I don't really know anything about the Ti.

Personally I don't think we're going to see Volta for like another 6 months, so I would just replace your current setup myself.

Yeah, reading around it seems like you're right. I think the 1070Ti which is apparently coming October 26 might be the go. I'll have to seriously consider it. My current cards do a decent job so waiting isn't a big problem but I always seem to feel this way when I'm not going top of the line with the upgrade. I should just bite the bullet and get a 1080Ti.

Top Bottom