• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

appaws

Banned
Übermatik;232001185 said:
Anyone have any experience with Corsair vs. EVGA in regards to PSUs?

Deciding between the Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold and the EVGA 500W Bronze... the greater efficiency and cleaner finish on the Corsair (stone finish EVGA, what the fuck?) are swaying me...

I've had experiences with both (EVGA "G" line), and am currently using a 1300w G2. I didn't have issues with either. You may want to read some reviews as I think the quality of EVGA line can vary, I just know the G line is really good.

OP is being updated now!

Entirely different price points. One is $50 one is $100... Both are good units. Your computer isn't going to run faster on the $100 unit. The 600B is $50 right now and will run any single card you need to.
If you want Modular for cheap you can look at the cx550m
Or the EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1 for $80

Try not to compare any PSU brand to any PSU brand. Corsair and eVGA both just rebrand and tinker a bit from 8 different manufactures. Even stuff in the same line can be wildly different units.

Übermatik;232009249 said:
Ahh fuck I meant the SuperNOVA GS, not the Bronze. It's late! Haha

Either way, thanks for the advice!

Coming from the other thread...

Just wanted to give a quick mention of jonnyguru.com as the best place by far for power supply reviews and information.

kennah

Welcome home everyone. Hoping to get a gsync monitor finally this year, but still paying off moving across the country, so will see.

Pagusas

Elden Member

Does it work with Steam Cloud game saves?

Honestly now that I think of it, I dont think I've had to worry about migrating saves in years. Steam cloud has done it all automatically. Loading up Stardew Valley yesterday of all games, after building a new machine, and bam, my old save was already there and ready. Crazy how well that works without even thinking about it.

Übermatik;232001185 said:
Anyone have any experience with Corsair vs. EVGA in regards to PSUs?

Used Corsair for a while (currently a TX750) but switching to EVGA for new water build. No technically-compelling reason; just aesthetics.

Both make solid PSUs so I think you'll be fine with either; obviously just be sure to check reviews for both for any specific quirks.

Weevilone

Honestly now that I think of it, I dont think I've had to worry about migrating saves in years. Steam cloud has done it all automatically. Loading up Stardew Valley yesterday of all games, after building a new machine, and bam, my old save was already there and ready. Crazy how well that works without even thinking about it.

Meanwhile games like Dark Souls just put their shit wherever they feel like it.

Pagusas

Elden Member
This isnt a PC but I wanted to complain. My work just gave me a new 2017 Macbook Pro with the touch strip thing. I hate this thing, the build quality compared to the previous gen feels substantially worse. The oled strip looks ugly and low resolution and the keyboard.. ugh the horrible keyboard. Why the hell did they mess with a good thing, these new keys feel flimsy and have almost 0 travel to them. whats worse is they are concave and feel horrible to touch. Even the glass trackpad feels thinner and cheaper when you click it in.

I do like the usb c ports and charging, but I miss the magsafe connector, it was just nicer. Not to mention my work had to spend and additional few hundred bucks getting all the accessories like a lan adapter, media hub adapter, and so on.

Just crazy how much cheaper this thing feels compared to my old 2015 Macbook Pro.

Smokey

You can always downsample or something if you want, there never is too much GPU power.
1080p 1440p whats the difference.

Its more about what fps someone wants to get if he should get 7700k or Ryzen.
And of course does he just play or do something else where Ryzen is good.

I'm speaking of people who don't intend to downsample.

Either way you shouldn't be pairing a 1080ti with a 1080p display under any circumstance

Imo

Also reposting from old thread for new eyes

So after a week of use, gotta shout out to the Kraken x62. I've only used Corsair AIO coolers since I started building, and this thing out paces them. Everything about it is more premium than Corsair's offerings, and there are no pump rattles or other odd noises. The software (CAM) is miles better and gives you readouts on your entire system in a more readable and usable manner than Corsair Link . Some people have complained about CAM being glitchy, but I haven't run into any problems (yet). It was $160 which is more than any Corsair AIO I've bought before, but so far it's been worth it. Also looks really good!

Weevilone

GSM saved me on ETS2 as it doesn't use steam cloud. I use GSM as a secondary backup in regards to stream cloud enabled games. To a cloud service no doubt lol.

I had Crashplan running before my last upgrade or I would have lost like 50 hours of Dark Souls 3. Ugh.. dunno why they can't just use Steam Cloud.

Vipu

Banned
I'm speaking of people who don't intend to downsample.

Either way you shouldn't be pairing a 1080ti with a 1080p display under any circumstance

Imo

Also reposting from old thread for new eyes

What if you want to run new games at max with 144fps, in tests it looked like 1080 got to 100fps but ti got to 144fps and more.

Garou

Yes, Steam Cloud saves are just local saves that get mirrored to the Steam-cloud, and GSM can make a backup of your local copy.

You can have GSM make automated backups and for example set your backup-folder into your Dropbox-folder - now everything has a cloud-save.

Need to final update my AMD X6 1055/GTX460 build from 2009.

Looking for something capable, but <$1000 (USD).
I'd like things playable at 1440p, but I'm not one to usually worry about maxing out settings.
One thing I'd like is for it to be relatively quiet (unlike my current machine that has a certain "jet taking off"-like quality to it under load).
Thinking of doing a mini ITX slim tower case to save room on my desk, but could be convinced otherwise if there's a good reason not to.

This is what I've put together at this point. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

CPU: Intel Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($192.33 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($26.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Motherboard: ASRock Z270M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($113.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($114.97 @ Jet)
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($89.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Dual Video Card ($254.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($89.83 @ Jet)
Total: $961.96

Other notes:
Won't be overclocking.

Subbing for the new great thread.

I do have a question though

I can't seem to find a 21:9 144hz monitor with freesync, is my google-fu failing me?

Really liking my (mostly) new build from Friday. I kept the old PSU, BDR and GPU but everything else is new. The speed of NVMe is real, too. I got an Intel 600p rather than a Samsung, but it's every bit of a jump from my old 520.

Really liking my (mostly) new build from Friday. I kept the old PSU, BDR and GPU but everything else is new. The speed of NVMe is real, too. I got an Intel 600p rather than a Samsung, but it's every bit of a jump from my old 520.

Specs/pics? Always nice to see a new build.

OraleeWey

Out of all my subscribed threads, only a few are active, but the "I need a new PC" thread consistently and always moves the fastest and longest. I think that's a good thing too.

Was all set on a 360 rad (HW Labs SR2 with Corsair SP120 quiet edition fans) but slightly second-guessing myself (vs going with a 420).

Will be single loop with 1080Ti and 7700k. Not going for any world records but I will be juicing both, for sure.

Biggest issue is finding 140mm that I like the look of and fit the theme. I know, function before looks and all that. I'm still choosing between quality fans though.

Noctua - quiet versions are that ghastly brown. This is a red and black/black chrome build. Will not work.

Phantek - could potentially work with the solid white fans but still not what I'm going for. Could paint but such a pain in the ass and don't want to affect functionality. Perhaps LED strips alongside to introduce color.

Really it's down to Thermaltake Riing 140 red LED vs Corsair SP140 red LED. Latter has clear fans which isn't really my thang though.

Still, I think I can get away with the SR2 360 and 120mm Corsairs. Just can't imagine it being that much cooler on 420.

Anyone switched from 360 to 420 on a similar setup?

Peterthumpa

GAF, a weird question - how much do you guys think my PC is worth it today?

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 – 480 GB
Video Card: EVGA 980 Ti SC Gaming ACX 2.0+
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX Mini ITX Tower Case
PSU: Corsair CX Series CX650M
Mouse: Logitech G300S
Keyboard: Logitech G410 Atlas Spectrum
Mouse Pad (yeah): Logitech G240 Cloth Gaming Mouse Pad

Thanks!

For once is cheaper in the EU that in the US, colour me surprised.

I missed the res in the previous post. Something like a higher res (3440x1440) and a smaller size? Or it's a no-no given the aspect ratio?

I have to absolutely check how much space i have on my desk

Edit: OK done some search and we're not there yet, something is coming later this uear

Filth

Ive been using my 1080 strix since it came out. Ive been holding off on getting a monitor waiting gor something better. If i want gsync widescreen 1440p 144htz? Keep waiting ? Or should i dive in with hp omen x35 ? Any reccomendations ?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Was all set on a 360 rad (HW Labs SR2 with Corsair SP120 quiet edition fans) but slightly second-guessing myself (vs going with a 420).

Will be single loop with 1080Ti and 7700k. Not going for any world records but I will be juicing both, for sure.

Biggest issue is finding 140mm that I like the look of and fit the theme. I know, function before looks and all that. I'm still choosing between quality fans though.

Noctua - quiet versions are that ghastly brown. This is a red and black/black chrome build. Will not work.

Phantek - could potentially work with the solid white fans but still not what I'm going for. Could paint but such a pain in the ass and don't want to affect functionality. Perhaps LED strips alongside to introduce color.

Really it's down to Thermaltake Riing 140 red LED vs Corsair SP140 red LED. Latter has clear fans which isn't really my thang though.

Still, I think I can get away with the SR2 360 and 120mm Corsairs. Just can't imagine it being that much cooler on 420.

Have you considered the black Corsair ML Pro's?
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/ml120-pro-120mm-premium-magnetic-levitation-fan
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/ml140-pro-140mm-premium-magnetic-levitation-fan

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hey Hazaro, why do you suggest the 1700X? From all the reviews I read the maximum clock difference between that and the non-X amounts to maybe 100 Mhz on average.
It was 2am and I forgot to edit it out after seeing it :(
I think I still have all my tabs open too to double check the OC settings and why the 1700X and 1800X exist if you overclock. Now that I think about it I was going to make a segment under that with 1700X and swap the 1700 to default and make a note about overclocking.
Coming from the other thread...

Just wanted to give a quick mention of jonnyguru.com as the best place by far for power supply reviews and information.
Jonnyguru + HardwareSecrets = Legit PSU reviews
:) It's in the OP, just far down.
I'll take a look.

I'm looking into building a PC for video editing 4k Premier Pro. How important is a dedicated gpu? What part of the editing process does a gpu handle?

I recently did some 1080p editing on my current system and the only slow part was rendering and video stabilization which was handled by the cpu only, but I never checked what the load was on the gpu.

Current system: i5-3570k, GTX 780, 16gb ram.

This system is for somebody else, so I can't carry over the 780.

I'm looking into building the machine around a i7-7700k which has an Intel gpu. May consider Ryzen. Budget is about $800 for computer only including Windows.

Atilac

I snagged a new pc on newegg for 530 that comes with an i5-7500, which I assume is a qauntum leap over a Phenom II x4 955?

appaws

Banned
Welcome home everyone. Hoping to get a gsync monitor finally this year, but still paying off moving across the country, so will see.

I finally did. I grabbed the 27 inch Dell TN when it was cheap at Best Buy. It's nice.

Sounds like where I am headed as soon as my new SM8 comes in April. I am going to go with two 360 SR2 rads, but I am going to use F1 EK Vardars for that really low RPM and silent operation. Those rads are made specifically to have a low fin density and run really Slooooow fans on them.

Branson

I'm planning on maybe upgrading this year. But I'm wondering if a 2500k at 4.5 and a 980 with 8gb of ram is enough for an Oculus Rift? Elite, iRacing, etc with it mainly.

erawsd

So I bought an Evo 850 a couple weeks ago... would it be worth it to send it back and get the 960 instead? The "...much faster..." note in the OP has got me wondering.

Bliany

What is a good conservative overclock I should shoot for with my 7700k? I have it running stable at 4.8GHz @ 1.3V but the temps seem a bit high (hitting 80C at max, idling in mid 30s).

For reference, I'm using a Noctua D-14, Asus Z270F mobo, 750w PSU, & 16gb DDR4 2666 ram.

Weevilone

What is a good conservative overclock I should shoot for with my 7700k? I have it running stable at 4.8GHz @ 1.3V but the temps seem a bit high (hitting 80C at max, idling in mid 30s).

For reference, I'm using a Noctua D-14, Asus Z270F mobo, 750w PSU, & 16gb DDR4 2666 ram.

That's just what they do if you don't de-lid to replace the TIM between the die and heat spreader. Push to 5.0 and watch it hit 100C.

There's nothing wrong with 80C range+ if it's not destabilizing your overclock.

REDSLATE

So I bought an Evo 850 a couple weeks ago... would it be worth it to send it back and get the 960 instead? The "...much faster..." note in the OP has got me wondering.

Don't return it, but M.2 is the way to go. Use a 960 as the boot drive/essential programs/priority game installer (not all games, just the important ones). The load times are near instantaneous.

The 850 would be a good secondary drive for all your other game installs/important programs. I'm considering picking up an 850 myself for this very reason.

A traditional HDD would be ideal for mass storage/data backup where speed isn't a priority.

Connecting audio jack to the rear panel solved buzzing noise while under load issue.

So if your front panel HD Audio port is not located near the edges of your MB you're basically screwed?

Celcius

°Temp. member

7700k's run hot when not delidded and being stress-tested.
I could run 4.8ghz all day in realbench, aida, & other stress tests but prime95 28.10 would fail within 20 minutes so I lowered my overclock to 4.7ghz to pass for 24 hours without errors and I've been running here ever since. I'm also using a Noctua NH-D14.

Anyone here know if the codes you get from MSI for the Ghost Recon Season Pass and For Honor are UPlay or Steam? I want to sell them but I can't check without using them...

Want to repost my page 1 question for new page but it's obnoxiously long so here's a link.

tl;dr: i5 6600K OC issues with AIO cooler.

I'm thinking of saying "fuck it" and grabbing an i7. Amazon has the 6700K for 339€ and 7700K for 349. I'm on a Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI mobo and there's a BIOS that supports Kaby, but apparently revamps the interface really badly and messes with CPU and RAM OC (people are reporting not being able to activate XMP).

I'm tempted to go with the 7700K given the really minor price difference but I don't want the hassle of potential compatibility issues or switching mobos, so should I just go with the 6700K instead?

LilJoka

Want to repost my page 1 question for new page but it's obnoxiously long so here's a link.

I'm thinking of saying "fuck it" and grabbing an i7. Amazon has the 6700K for 339€ and 7700K for 349. I'm on a Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI mobo and there's a BIOS that supports Kaby, but apparently revamps the interface really badly and messes with CPU and RAM OC (people are reporting not being able to activate XMP).

I'm tempted to go with the 7700K given the really minor price difference but I don't want the hassle of potential compatibility issues or switching mobos, so should I just go with the 6700K instead?

Where are you reading vcore?
7700k > 6700k.
You can manually set up ram, XMP isn't needed.

Where are you reading vcore?
7700k > 6700k.
You can manually set up ram, XMP isn't needed.

The 1.325 Vcore is what I set in BIOS.

From what I've read, it's fairly easy to OC a 6700K to a point where there is essentially no performance difference (in games, mind you) with a 7700K, so are there any other factors that make the 7700K better?

Mad Max

I'm thinking of saying "fuck it" and grabbing an i7. Amazon has the 6700K for 339&#8364; and 7700K for 349. I'm on a Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI mobo and there's a BIOS that supports Kaby, but apparently revamps the interface really badly and messes with CPU and RAM OC (people are reporting not being able to activate XMP).

I think the problem with your 6600k is thermal contact between the core and the heatspreader, in some cpus this is worse than in others resulting in higher temps. You can only fix this by delidding really, no other option. Note that your new cpu might have the same problem though, so you might end up in the same spot if you're unlucky enough. My 7700k hits 85C at 4.7GHz with a custom loop (stock voltage), so I'll probably have to delid as well.

As far as 7700k vs 6700k: at the same clock frequency they'll perform about the same, but the 7700k will probably clock a little higher. As long as you update the bios on your currentz170 mobo it should work fine though.

I think the problem with your 6600k is thermal contact between the core and the heatspreader, in some cpus this is worse than in others resulting in higher temps. You can only fix this by delidding really, no other option. Note that your new cpu might have the same problem though, so you might end up in the same spot if you're unlucky enough. My 7700k hits 85C at 4.7GHz with a custom loop (stock voltage), so I'll probably have to delid as well.

As far as 7700k vs 6700k: at the same clock frequency they'll perform about the same, but the 7700k will probably clock a little higher. As long as you update the bios on your currentz170 mobo it should work fine though.

Thanks for this! Now I'm a little less worried that my AIO is fucked or that there's any serious issue at play.

I'll reiterate that I really don't want to delid though, I like the peace of mind of having my parts under warranty.

Another reason I'm leaning towards 6700K instead of 7700K is that the Gigabyte F20 BIOS that makes Z170 boards compatible with Kaby apparently has a host of issues with bootlooping, POST failures and such.

Mad Max

Thanks for this! Now I'm a little less worried that my AIO is fucked or that there's any serious issue at play.

I'll reiterate that I really don't want to delid though, I like the peace of mind of having my parts under warranty.

Another reason I'm leaning towards 6700K instead of 7700K is that the Gigabyte F20 BIOS that makes Z170 boards compatible with Kaby apparently has a host of issues with bootlooping, POST failures and such.

Yeah I understand not wanting to delid, it's always a bit risky. In all my years I've never seen a CPU legitimately fail under warranty though, only in cases where some other part (PSU/mobo) tied and took out the cpu. The bigger issue is selling a delidded cpu later on since most people will avoid them. :p

And if you think you might have problems with the 7700k in your mobo then I would just get the 6700k, it's not worth the potential hassle imo for maybe a few % more performance.

Top Bottom