• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

laxu

reposting from old thread just in case:

Monitors. At home I have an ultrawide 3440x1440, but at work I'm stuck with a 24" 1080p monitor. I need a decently sized browser window open for JIRA, and then other windows for Slack, Skype and email.

I have a macbook air so I think I may be limited to a single external monitor unless I fiddle about with USB adapters etc (and USB ports are scarce on this thing too).

Anyway, was wondering about resolution. As most/all of my stuff is mostly text based, I don't think I'll particularly benefit from a 3440x1440 screen? Would 2560x1080 give me enough resolution? And hopefully just enough extra width so my browser doesn't feel so cramped next to my chat windows. (I have email on my laptop screen down below which is ok.

thoughts? And for a similar size to a 24" 1080p monitor, would a 29" UW be the right size?

I use a 34" Dell ultrawide at work and at 3440x1440 it is wonderful because I can put two big windows side by side. If you are looking primarily at text, getting the most resolution is best because more pixels = sharper text especially if you use scaling. You need a display that supports Displayport in any case, HDMI is out with the MB Air as it can't push high enough resolution. But if cost is an issue then 2560x1080 would be an improvement definitely.

laxu

I'm looking into building a PC for video editing 4k Premier Pro. How important is a dedicated gpu? What part of the editing process does a gpu handle?

I recently did some 1080p editing on my current system and the only slow part was rendering and video stabilization which was handled by the cpu only, but I never checked what the load was on the gpu.

Current system: i5-3570k, GTX 780, 16gb ram.

This system is for somebody else, so I can't carry over the 780.

I'm looking into building the machine around a i7-7700k which has an Intel gpu. May consider Ryzen. Budget is about for computer only including Windows.

It depends on how well the software can use the GPU. It seems at the moment Premiere Pro is pretty shitty for GPU acceleration requiring editing text files and whatnot but some plugins might be able to use it. You would probably be fine with a midrange GPU like a 1060. While not exactly beefy, when software starts to support GPU rendering more it would still be able to handle it well.

You could just try how it goes with the integrated GPU first and buy a dedicated one if you feel it doesn't perform well.

So I was looking to install a video card in my new i5 desktop and had decided I'd probably go with the RX 480. But I see that the RX 580 is only about a month from release, and should offer slightly better performance at roughly the same price (estimated $200, current RX 480 deals can be had around $160). I should probably wait for the RX 580, right?

Specs/pics? Always nice to see a new build.

i5 6600
256GB Intel 600p NVMe SSD (system)
500GB Samsung 850 EVO (everything else)
Gigabyte H110n itx board
16GB g.Skill Aegis (one stick, wanted to leave the other slot open just in case)
Gigabyte GTX 660ti (from my previous machine, this will be replaced with a 1060 soonish, I hope)
Silverstone 850W 80+ Silver PSU
Intel liquid cooler
Pioneer BD-R
Cooler Master Elite 130

I don't have pics because it's a rather tight build and thus looks kind of ugly IMO. And I forgot to take them. If/when I swap out for a slimmer PSU and new GPU I'll probably take some.

I used the PSU, GPU and CDR from my old build because I wanted to shrink before doing a full upgrade. I would have gone with a Kabylake, but the mobo would have needed a BIOS update for it and the feature difference between the Skylake and its comparable Kabylake aren't meaningful to me in this setup. I didn't want to spend $50 more for a cheapo Skylake Celeron just to do a BIOS update.

As said before, it's a bit cramped in the case, but that was expected. So far everything is running quiet and cool enough that the task I set out to accomplish has been, well, accomplished. Should also be stated that a fair amount of this was from xmas gifts, so it's been a bit of time coming until I was finally able to do it.

So I was looking to install a video card in my new i5 desktop and had decided I'd probably go with the RX 480. But I see that the RX 580 is only about a month from release, and should offer slightly better performance at roughly the same price (estimated $200, current RX 480 deals can be had around $160). I should probably wait for the RX 580, right?

Wait for the RX580 but remember it will be a rebranded 480. If the performance difference is small enough, it could be worth it to get a 480 then at an even lower price.

Also Vega releases in May, so maybe keep an eye on that?

Wait for the RX580 but remember it will be a rebranded 480. If the performance difference is small enough, it could be worth it to get a 480 then at an even lower price.

Also Vega releases in May, so maybe keep an eye on that?

Vega will probably be quite a bit more expensive, right? Or do we have zero idea at this point? This PC build for me will probably just be for 1080p gaming and office work. Don't need eye bleeding performance out of it. I'll wait a few years for VR to come down in price and get better before investing a big chunk of change in a 4K-capable PC.

On a side note, this is one reason why I hate dealing with PCs. I'm paralyzed by choices, and I always second-guess myself after committing. It's also really easy to up-sell myself on something just a bit better.

Mad Max

Vega will probably be quite a bit more expensive, right? Or do we have zero idea at this point? This PC build for me will probably just be for 1080p gaming and office work. Don't need eye bleeding performance out of it. I'll wait a few years for VR to come down in price and get better before investing a big chunk of change in a 4K-capable PC.

On a side note, this is one reason why I hate dealing with PCs. I'm paralyzed by choices, and I always second-guess myself after committing. It's also really easy to up-sell myself on something just a bit better.

Honestly you might as well get a 480 (or 470) now, the rebrands will probably barely be faster and they will be more expensive.\

On a sidenote I delidded my 7700k already, I'll post more on this later.

I did a little mockup of my build using stock and random people's photos from Google images. All the components are ones I'm actually using minus the pump/res (will be similar though, just with black chrome tension rods and red lighting) and the GPU (picture is an awkward angle shot of a 1080 with water block; I'll be on a 1080Ti with block). Proportions should be about right. Fittings and couple of tube bends are off but again it's just to give me an idea of the setup and loop.

900x900px-LL-452780e8_VERSION1.jpeg

Parts list here

I thought of perhaps taking PSU apart and painting the vent red, but I'll probably just use a section of the Hue+ lighting kit LEDs to outline it. The rest of the kit will go in as of yet undetermined locations on the case and be either all white or a mix of white and the navy color from Washington Capitals/Wizards logos (this build is kind of a tribute to DC sports: black/red - DC united, white/red - Nats, red/navy - Caps, Wizards). Nothing for Redskins because I'm not putting any ugly ass gold in there but red is close enough to burgundy.

I will not be using the stupid fucking riser cable (which allows you to put your card vertically) until Thermaltake can figure it out. I know there are 3rd party cables but I've read the reviews on them and there's not enough a consensus on quality that I'm going to pay up to $60 for a cable to potentially hurt my performance or even damage something. And since this is a water build with rigid tubes I'm not redoing the fucking thing shortly after putting everything together.

Smokey

Want to repost my page 1 question for new page but it's obnoxiously long so here's a link.

tl;dr: i5 6600K OC issues with AIO cooler.

I'm thinking of saying "fuck it" and grabbing an i7. Amazon has the 6700K for 339€ and 7700K for 349. I'm on a Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI mobo and there's a BIOS that supports Kaby, but apparently revamps the interface really badly and messes with CPU and RAM OC (people are reporting not being able to activate XMP).

I'm tempted to go with the 7700K given the really minor price difference but I don't want the hassle of potential compatibility issues or switching mobos, so should I just go with the 6700K instead?

Reapply thermal paste. Make sure your fan(s) is set correctly on the radiator.

Niks

I'm looking to upgrade my 1080p monitor and 770 graphics card.

What combo would make most sense pcGAF?

Asus pg279q (27" 144hz IPS) with a GTX 1070
Or
Asus pg278qr (27" 165hz TN) with a GTX 1080

Both go for roughly 1200usd

I'm looking to upgrade my 1080p monitor and 770 graphics card.

What combo would make most sense pcGAF?

Asus pg279q (27" 144hz IPS) with a GTX 1070
Or
Asus pg278qr (27" 165hz TN) with a GTX 1080

Both go for roughly 1200usd

Edit: high refresh on both so typical advantage of TN over IPS not present here.

IPS has better color accuracy and viewing angles.

So, my answer is: the IPS with 1080.

I always say if you can hold out a bit and use the time to save more, always go for the better card. Especially with the price drops recently, I don't see the point of getting a 1070. For a little over 100 bucks more, you can get the 1080. I know the true value of that difference varies depending on who you are, but realistically if you're willing to blow like $400 for a video card, I assume you can hold off, save up a bit more and blow $500.

FFMafia

Is XB271HU the best monitor still based on the OP for the 2K/4K section of recommended monitors? Not sure if HDR has been implemented yet and new tech etc.

LilJoka

The 1.325 Vcore is what I set in BIOS.

From what I've read, it's fairly easy to OC a 6700K to a point where there is essentially no performance difference (in games, mind you) with a 7700K, so are there any other factors that make the 7700K better?

Bios vcore doesn't matter, need the vcore that CPUz measures under load.

Thanks for this! Now I'm a little less worried that my AIO is fucked or that there's any serious issue at play.

I'll reiterate that I really don't want to delid though, I like the peace of mind of having my parts under warranty.

Another reason I'm leaning towards 6700K instead of 7700K is that the Gigabyte F20 BIOS that makes Z170 boards compatible with Kaby apparently has a host of issues with bootlooping, POST failures and such.

You can RMA a delidded chip, just glue the IHS on. It's been done before, Intel don't care. CPUs don't just fail, the delid is the risky part, but using a delid tool there is no more risk.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Can someone tell me the difference between

MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 SEA HAWK X, 8Gb GDDR5 GDDR5 VR Ready Graphics Card - £699.99

MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING X 8Gb GDDR5 GDDR5 VR Ready Graphics Card - £589.99

MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 ARMOR 8G OC GDDR5 GDDR5 VR Ready Graphics Card - £549.99

For instance if you have a h80 for example, if you have air coming from intakes of your case, and the h80i set in the back, you don't want your fan on the radiator to be accidentally set up as an intake vs an exhaust.

I have a 140mm AIO with two fans in a push-pull config and a heatsink in the middle, mounted at the top back of the case, so from that standpoint I think I'm ok.

Mystic654

Can someone tell me the difference between

MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 SEA HAWK X, 8Gb GDDR5 GDDR5 VR Ready Graphics Card - £699.99

MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING X 8Gb GDDR5 GDDR5 VR Ready Graphics Card - £589.99

MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 ARMOR 8G OC GDDR5 GDDR5 VR Ready Graphics Card - £549.99

One is a reference card (Sea Hawk X) with a AIO attached to it. The gaming X is a custom PCB. I believe Armor is reference too (not 100% sure). Gaming X should be the fastest, Their also Gaming Z which I believe is faster then X edition.

Smokey

I have a 140mm AIO with two fans in a push-pull config and a heatsink in the middle, mounted at the top back of the case, so from that standpoint I think I'm ok.

So in that type of config, make sure both fans are facing the proper direction and not "facing" each other of that makes sense. Otherwise the air is going nowhere but to your rad.

Lashley

One is a reference card (Sea Hawk X) with a AIO attached to it. The gaming X is a custom PCB. I believe Armor is reference too (not 100% sure). Gaming X should be the fastest, Their also Gaming Z which I believe is faster then X edition.

So Gaming X would be the recommended one to get? Out of those 3?

Also, would my i5-6600k bottleneck it too much?

Weevilone

If it's like the 1080, there really won't be any significan't difference in performance from the custom PCB. The only advantage of my 1080 FTW was the dual BIOS. EVGA's new PCBs will benefit from extra thermal sensors and such (ICX models).

Niks

Edit: high refresh on both so typical advantage of TN over IPS not present here.

IPS has better color accuracy and viewing angles.

So, my answer is: the IPS with 1080.

I always say if you can hold out a bit and use the time to save more, always go for the better card. Especially with the price drops recently, I don't see the point of getting a 1070. For a little over 100 bucks more, you can get the 1080. I know the true value of that difference varies depending on who you are, but realistically if you're willing to blow like $400 for a video card, I assume you can hold off, save up a bit more and blow $500.

Thanks for the reply.

And yeah, I was expecting that answer haha.
I'm going to wait a bit more to see if 1080 cards drop some more. (Hopefully)

Lashley

If it's like the 1080, there really won't be any significan't difference in performance from the custom PCB. The only advantage of my 1080 FTW was the dual BIOS. EVGA's new PCBs will benefit from extra thermal sensors and such (ICX models).

Tempted to upgrade my 970, but not sure whether to get a 1080 or 1070

Ok kids

You young ones raised on the old PC can help out an old, struggling man like myself

I have a new PC and I have it connected to a 1440p monitor (primarily) and a 4K TV (for games like Mass Effect). The TV is in another room from my mouse/kb/monitor.

What display settings should I use for when I want to switch to a game on my TV? Do I set to duplicate, or dual monitor setup, or what? What's the easiest way to switch 'modes' from TV games to monitor games?

Mystic654

Custom PCB has better cooling.

IceIpor

It was left as that accidentally - it's already fixed in the actual sheet (just needs the image updating in the thread). That particular build is aimed at very high end, so it makes sense to have the extra PCIe lanes and I/O that X370 supplies, but I've added a mATX B350 option in to it anyway.
One more change before you update the image again.

I'm pretty sure the Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K5 mobo isn't +$170 compared to the ASUS 370 Prime X370-PRO.

Love the OP btw.

In the previous thread I had noted my dilemma with buying an i5 and picking the 1070 as my graphics card. However I was able to return the i5 (lucky me) and pay $100 more for the i7 so now I have the 7700K 4.2GHz which should more than capable to pair with the 1070. But I'm stuck again with my build and having slight anxiety over the motherboard.

I'm going for a large case so space isn't my issue but compatibility. Since this is a Kaby Lake processor I'm not sure if these things can work on any motherboard. I'm seeing things on some boxes saying specifically "(whatever the previous gen was called) ready" but none that specifically say kaby lake ready. So because of that, I don't want to buy something that doesn't work. PCPartPicker says everything is fine but I don't know if it's correct all the time. The current motherboard I have for my build is Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard. Has anyone had any issues with pcpartpicker being wrong and am I okay or can anyone recommend me a good motherboard if this is not compatible?

Love the OP btw.

In the previous thread I had noted my dilemma with buying an i5 and picking the 1070 as my graphics card. However I was able to return the i5 (lucky me) and pay $100 more for the i7 so now I have the 7700K 4.2GHz which should more than capable to pair with the 1070. But I'm stuck again with my build and having slight anxiety over the motherboard.

I'm going for a large case so space isn't my issue but compatibility. Since this is a Kaby Lake processor I'm not sure if these things can work on any motherboard. I'm seeing things on some boxes saying specifically "(whatever the previous gen was called) ready" but none that specifically say kaby lake ready. So because of that, I don't want to buy something that doesn't work. PCPartPicker says everything is fine but I don't know if it's correct all the time. The current motherboard I have for my build is Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard. Has anyone had any issues with pcpartpicker being wrong and am I okay or can anyone recommend me a good motherboard if this is not compatible?

Z170's are technically compatible but requirw a BIOS update, as they're made for Skylake. It's Z270 you want for a kabylake board. There's some references to look at in Haz' builds.

Love the OP btw.

Get a Z270 board.

TB14

Anyone have the ASRock Z270 Killer? Ordered it to replace the one that died on me, which was a Gigabyte H-110M-A.

Already done at 4.4ghz :)

Nice. I would probably do some number crunching to figure out what makes the most sense between the 1070, 1080 or 1080 Ti. I know the prices have changed recently, so see how much % improvement you get for your dollar between them before deciding on one of the models imho.

What resolution/refresh rate are you playing at?

LordAlu

One more change before you update the image again.

I'm pretty sure the Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K5 mobo isn't +$170 compared to the ASUS 370 Prime X370-PRO.
Well spotted, I've made that edit. The prices were originally based on Newegg/Amazon, so I can only assume when we updated it the pricing on Newegg was some high default value.

Lashley

Nice. I would probably do some number crunching to figure out what makes the most sense between the 1070, 1080 or 1080 Ti. I know the prices have changed recently, so see how much % improvement you get for your dollar between them before deciding on one of the models imho.

What resolution/refresh rate are you playing at?

1080p monitor atm, aiming for 60fps

I intend to get a 1440p or 144fps monitor soon

Top Bottom