• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

We need a new thread title to replace Kaby Lake.

I'm thinking something like "Episode 2017: The Core Wars" or something else to emphasize the awesome CPU war we have going on for the first time in years.

Could also leave it as-is, except swap out Coffee for Kaby.

I'm thinking something like "Episode 2017: The Core Wars" or something else to emphasize the awesome CPU war we have going on for the first time in years.

Could also leave it as-is, except seap out Coffee for Kaby.

Probably will get an update (or new thread) once 2018 rolls around.

zeemumu

Try a fresh install on the SSD, it shouldn't take that long.

1) Make a fresh windows boot USB (try a different USB if one is giving you issues)
1) Wipe SSD
2) Disconnect HDD
3) Install windows on SSD while it is the only one connected.

No luck. Still getting a "cannot read the productkey from the unattend answer file" prompt when I try to install from the USB and when I just run the HDD it's stuck on a loop where it flashes the install screen at 64% then resets

Before this I tried to transfer windows to my SSD from my HDD by cloning the OS files over. I don't know if that's the cause of the problem. Is there any way to wipe both the HDD and the SSD from the BIOS and reinstall using either the retail USB or the bootable that I made? It's making me freak out a little because everything was going well and now it's all fucked

Jeff6851

The best way is for you to try out a different PSU. Other than that, try to check CPU and GPU temps while on heavy load.

Welp, turned down my OC and now it works fine, even went up to medium on BF1. Weird that it just now started to get unstable. Guess I'll have to go to Ryzen before the end of the year.

sleepnaught

Are there any down sides by going micro atx or mini itx? I'm tired of having a massive case in my room, and it's only a mid tower. I'd like to have something small and compact while keeping my full size GTX 1070. I don't have any special needs besides a mild overclock on a Intel 8700k when I can get my hands on one. I only have two drives and need about 4 USB slots. I'm debating about whether to keep my soundcard since I do most of my gaming on the TV. I just will miss the SBX Pro Studio enhancements for my headphones.

Are there any down sides by going micro atx or mini itx? I'm tired of having a massive case in my room, and it's only a mid tower. I'd like to have something small and compact while keeping my full size GTX 1070. I don't have any special needs besides a mild overclock on a Intel 8700k when I can get my hands on one. I only have two drives and need about 4 USB slots. I'm debating about whether to keep my soundcard since I do most of my gaming on the TV. I just will miss the SBX Pro Studio enhancements for my headphones.

No significant downside to mini boards assuming you're getting one with all the features and capabilities you want. Your needs are fairly standard so should be easy to find something.

Arex

If you need your soundcard then you can go micro atx. Then at least you'll have an extra pcie slot for your soundcard while having the case size smaller.

Tempted to buy one right now. Is it worth it for someone on a 1050ti?

Hard to say, and it depends on how happy you are with your current card's performance. There is a big leap between the two. The 1050Ti is around the same performance as a GTX 960, the 1060 is around the same performance as a GTX 980.

ahoyle77

I couldn't find another thread for this, so apologies if it's a bit off topic. But you guys all seem to know your stuff, so seem most likely to give a knowledgeable answer.

If you were buying a mechanical keyboard and mouse combo, would you go with Logitech, Razer, or Corsair? They all seem pretty similar. Main important feature is the customizable lighting which they all do, and of course quality. Are there any other brands to consider?

Still seems like Ryzen is leaving Intel in the dust when it comes to multitasking. I'll stick with my 1700x. Ryzen doesn't really keep up with getting 120-170FPS or whatever in a lot of the gaming numbers. I knew that before I bought it, though. Since I do some content creation and a few other things other than gaming, that $300 on the 1700x is well spent.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I couldn't find another thread for this, so apologies if it's a bit off topic. But you guys all seem to know your stuff, so seem most likely to give a knowledgeable answer.

If you were buying a mechanical keyboard and mouse combo, would you go with Logitech, Razer, or Corsair? They all seem pretty similar. Main important feature is the customizable lighting which they all do, and of course quality. Are there any other brands to consider?

both keyboard + mouse will be the same brand? never used razer but logitech for mouse + corsair for keyboard. i'd go with a corsair keyboard + mouse over logitech. not a huge fan of logitech but corsair i like.

Still seems like Ryzen is leaving Intel in the dust when it comes to multitasking. I'll stick with my 1700x. Ryzen doesn't really keep up with getting 120-170FPS or whatever in a lot of the gaming numbers. I knew that before I bought it, though. Since I do some content creation and a few other things other than gaming, that $300 on the 1700x is well spent.

well of course. ryzen has more cores. intel only just moved up to 6/12. if you want an intel 8/16 then probably need to wait for Icelake cpus. ryzen is great if you care less about gaming than content creation/streaming etc. it's not bad at games but right now Intel easily wins when it comes to games. i go with intel because i only care about games.

ahoyle77

both keyboard + mouse will be the same brand? never used razer but logitech for mouse + corsair for keyboard. i'd go with a corsair keyboard + mouse over logitech. not a huge fan of logitech but corsair i like.

I assumed they need to be the same brand to get the lighting software to sync properly? Razer even has the light up mouse pad according to their site that syncs. Of course, that could just be marketing and any keyboard and mouse would sync with the lighting software I have no idea. But that's why I was looking to keep the same brand.

The things I have to research so my 12 year old has a "cool" set up.

Phionoxx

Not sure just how small of a case you are looking for but check this out: Fractal Design Define C.

I plan on using this case for my next build. Considerably smaller than most mid towers but you can still use a full size ATX mobo, and the 1070 would fit just fine.

Seems like a solid option as long as you don't need an optical drive and don't plan on using a ton of separate storage drives.

http://techreport.com/review/30904/fractal-design-define-c-case-reviewed

Mrbob

I was about to recommend the Fractal Design Define C. It's a compact ATX case and it works well. I use a modified version of that case as a new version called Fractal Design Meshify C just came out. If you are overclocking an 8700K you might want to consider the Meshify C instead. It has some improved air flow over the Define C which would help since an overclocked 8700k can get hot.

http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/meshify/meshify-c

I believe the size of the case is like 18"H, 8.5"W, and about 16"L. With the Define C or Meshify C you can still pack in an ATX motherboard and still have plenty of room in the back for cabling while being in a smaller ATX case. It can fit like a 12" video card too. You can fit a big heatsink/cpu fan in there too. I have a noctua uh14s and it barely fits underneath the glass but it does fit.

One thing to note about the drives, if you use SSD, there is a mount on the back behind the motherboard to mount 3 ssd drives and it works amazingly well. You get a tray below for 2 3.5" or 2 more SSDs if you use an adapter. No spot for an optical drive but if I need one I'll buy it external. Curious to see how many people even care about mounting an internal optical drive anymore.

Iorv3th

I assumed they need to be the same brand to get the lighting software to sync properly? Razer even has the light up mouse pad according to their site that syncs. Of course, that could just be marketing and any keyboard and mouse would sync with the lighting software I have no idea. But that's why I was looking to keep the same brand.

The things I have to research so my 12 year old has a "cool" set up.

If you want simple go with logitech. Some games have the lighting built into the game when they detect logitech keyboard/mouse. Not all games will have that though.

With corsair you have to download profiles for different games or create your own.

I prefer Corsair keyboards though. Logitech keycaps are very thin and have a weird feel to them. Logitech mice are great though.

Weevilone

Hey MonitorGAF, I could need some help.

I'm about to buy a new monitor, as my LG Flatron W2361V is getting boring to use.

I'm using an Intel NUC-Kit NUC7I3BNH.
I'll use the new monitor for :

- [~40%] browsing on the internet
- [~50%] streaming from YouTube, Netflix & similar sites (as I don't own a TV)
- [~5%] office work
- [~5%] playing PlayStation 4 (could use my old monitor if there's any problem with input lag/downscaling)

What I want to know:

- Am I better of with an IPS panel or VA?
- 21:9 or 16:9? Guess second, cause movies would show black bars, which would be annoying?
- 1440p or 2160p? Again, second cause down-scaling with the Ps4 would look better, right?
- 60hz or 120hz/144hz? Does it even matter with streaming & browsing?

I often stream a movie while browsing in a different tab, or research with many windows opened, so that's another argument why 2160p would offer me better value, right?

Thanks in advance guys!

I'd go VA if streaming is important to you and no TV. You'll get better blacks, but worse viewing angles.

21:9 is better for movies, 16:9 better for TV shows.

I'm not sure if a 120Hz panel will work better with 24FPS content or if you're stuck with 60 when PC streaming. Perhaps someone can clarify. I bet not, so 60 is then fine.

I'd worry about 2160p performance with the NUC, but again, perhaps someone else can clarify. As long as you're not pushing games and the NUC can handle it, high resolution is a good thing.

-shadow-

So I'm rather a PC noob, so a friend of mine made a rather basic list as a starting point. However, he didn't give specific details. So with some parts he just said 'Asus Maximus motherboard' and that's it. So I kind of had to make up my own from there on out.

• Intel i7 8700k
  • ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Strix OC
  • Asus Rog Maximus IX Formula
  • Corsair 16 GB DDR4-3000

He adviced me this for cooling, but he's still using a 6700, so I'm not sure if this is the best idea combined with the 8700k, so hence why I'm asking it here.
  • Noctua nh_d15

I'm still looking for a good modular PSU, a small SSD for Windows (I still have about 3.5TB of storage on old HDD's), and a case which has space for two disc drives (yes I'm one of those) and without any bells and whistles like terrible led's so that one is just something that's about taste more than anything else. So if anyone got tips for me, parts that I could improve on for the same price, or something else. I would be most grateful! 😊

So I'm rather a PC noob, so a friend of mine made a rather basic list as a starting point. However, he didn't give specific details. So with some parts he just said 'Asus Maximus motherboard' and that's it. So I kind of had to make up my own from there on out.

• Intel i7 8700k

He adviced me this for cooling, but he's still using a 6700, so I'm not sure if this is the best idea combined with the 8700k, so hence why I'm asking it here.
  • Noctua nh_d15

I'm still looking for a good modular PSU, a small SSD for Windows (I still have about 3.5TB of storage on old HDD's), and a case which has space for two disc drives (yes I'm one of those) and without any bells and whistles like terrible led's so that one is just something that's about taste more than anything else. So if anyone got tips for me, parts that I could prove on for the same price, or something else. I would be most grateful! 😊

That motherboard is not compatible with your CPU. You should get a Z370 board. I'd suggest the Asus Maximus X Hero.

In terms of a PSU, I'm a huge fan of the EVGA G3 series. Depending on what's on sale, I'd say grab a 650W or 750W unit. In terms of an SSD... well I'd get a 960 Evo. :p

Case I don't have any suggestions on, I only go for drive-less cases now.

BTW, the Noctua D15 is a badass air cooler. Just make sure it fits in whatever case you get -- it's pretty big and you may have to slide one of the fans upward a bit to fit above the RAM. Should be fine in most ATX cases I would expect.

kuYuri

• Intel i7 8700k

• Noctua nh_d15

I'm still looking for a good modular PSU, a small SSD for Windows (I still have about 3.5TB of storage on old HDD's), and a case which has space for two disc drives (yes I'm one of those) and without any bells and whistles like terrible led's so that one is just something that's about taste more than anything else. So if anyone got tips for me, parts that I could prove on for the same price, or something else. I would be most grateful! 😊

Heads up, 8th gen CPU won't work in the Maximus IX, since Maximus IX is the older Z270 chipset. You have to use the Maximus X series since those support Z370 chipset and thus the 8th gen processors like the i7-8700k.

-shadow-

Heads up, 8th gen CPU won't work in the Maximus IX, since Maximus IX is the older Z270 chipset. You have to use the Maximus X series since those support Z370 chipset and thus the 8th gen processors like the i7-8700k.

That motherboard is not compatible with your CPU. You should get a Z370 board. I'd suggest the Asus Maximus X Hero.

In terms of a PSU, I'm a huge fan of the EVGA G3 series. Depending on what's on sale, I'd say grab a 650W or 750W unit. In terms of an SSD... well I'd get a 960 Evo. :p

Case I don't have any suggestions on, I only go for drive-less cases now.

BTW, the Noctua D15 is a badass air cooler. Just make sure it fits in whatever case you get -- it's pretty big and you may have to slide one of the fans upward a bit to fit above the RAM. Should be fine in most ATX cases I would expect.

I honestly completely forgot to check the compatibility with the chip after making the decision to go for the 8700k instead of the 7700k when the rumours started leaking, so thanks for the heads up before I made that mistake!

And thanks regarding the PSU, SSD and the cooling. I'll keep the cooler on the list and check the other two out! And the case is a combination of taste (I absolutely loath led's in PC's) and compatibility. I have a ton of albums and films that I always rip to my PC, since a lot simply aren't available uncompressed for a decent price online. Or online at all in case of many of my favourite films. I'll keep the progress of the list updated in the next few days until I'm absolutely certain I'm ready to order! :)

I'd say they're definitely the best value for a mid range gaming CPU, providing you also have fast RAM and are okay with overclocking. It's been shown in multiple benchmarks that the R5 1600 can keep up with an 7700K, and for the price, I mean, it really is a good deal.

Seeing a £180 CPU/£70 MoBo vs a £300 CPU/£100+ MoBo and stay within a 10-15% performance range is fucking impressive to me.
No doubt that the 8700K is a much better gaming CPU, having all the benefits of the 7700K, and the same amount of cores/threads as the R5 1600, but it's also twice the price right now.

2017: Corevil War #TEAMRyzen #TEAMCoffee

Or is it too too late for Civil War references?

Infinity Fabric War?

rtcn63

2018 | Standards in Common Core, Lesson One: 4 + 2 > 8

arevin01

I'm brainstorming a new build for 2018, since my old build is now almost 8 years old when the 580gtx came out. I already bought an ASUS 1070 early in the year so I dont need a GPU. Some items may seem like overkill, but I like being over the top. If you have any advice or suggestions for my new build, please comment. :)

Main Use - Gaming on 1080p/1440p

Budget - $1500

Place to purchase items - Mainly from Amazon

Corsair PSU 1000 watt - $210
250gb Samsung SSD - $100
2TB WD HDD- $100
Intel 8700k - $379
16gb DDR4 Ripjaws - $160
MSI Motherboard z370 - $190
Cooler Master Full Tower - $150
Nocua CPU Cooler - $80
ASUS 1070 - Already have

Total = $1369

Mrbob

So this could be kind of interesting. This video review of the Z370 Asrock Taichi is claiming Asrock includes a hardware override that bypasses Intel's lock on non k CPUs which means you can overclock non k cpus.

https://youtu.be/u1Ya6wUAsTg

Go around to the five minute mark. Can't confirm the validity but I don't know why he would lie. I don't want to be the guinea pig though to try this out.

I'm brainstorming a new build for 2018, since my old build is now almost 8 years old when the 580gtx came out. I already bought an ASUS 1070 early in the year so I dont need a GPU. Some items may seem like overkill, but I like being over the top. If you have any advice or suggestions for my new build, please comment. :)

Main Use - Gaming on 1080p/1440p

Budget - $1500

Place to purchase items - Mainly from Amazon

Corsair PSU 1000 watt - $210
250gb Samsung SSD - $100
2TB WD HDD- $100
Intel 8700k - $379
16gb DDR4 Ripjaws - $160
MSI Motherboard z370 - $190
Cooler Master Full Tower - $150
Nocua CPU Cooler - $80
ASUS 1070 - Already have

Total = $1369

I know you like overkill, but that 1000 watt PSU is seriously unnecessary. You could drop down to a 750w and still be excessive! Drop down and save $50, or if you're really wanting to overkill, get a 750w but get it at that insanely silly titanium efficiency rating, like this one. You didn't list your PSU's efficiency but I'm assuming it's gold?

arevin01

I know you like overkill, but that 1000 watt PSU is seriously unnecessary. You could drop down to a 750w and still be excessive! Drop down and save $50, or if you're really wanting to overkill, get a 750w but get it at that insanely silly titanium efficiency rating, like this one. You didn't list your PSU's efficiency but I'm assuming it's gold?

Yeah 750w could be good as well, yep gold.

kuYuri

Heads up for any future builders or anyone upgrading GPU.

In addition to the Middle-Earth: Shadow of War GeForce bundle included with 1080 and 1080 Ti only, Asus is also giving away Uplay codes for Assassin's Creed: Origins with purchase of certain graphics cards, motherboards, and monitors. Buying something like an Asus 1080 or 1080 Ti should give you both Shadow of War and AC Origins with purchase within promotional periods.

Details for AC Origins Asus promotion: https://www.asus.com/event/2017/rog/assassins-creed-origins/US/

Yeah 750w could be good as well, yep gold.

Yeah, if you want a "wow overkill" factor in your PSU, Titanium rating is the way to go. It's not something I'd spend money on, but it's not something people often grab, so might really scratch that "overkill" itch you have while still spending less than the 1000w.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Here is what I got.

i5 4670k Haswell
Asus Z87-A Motherboard
16GB DDR3 Ram
Geforce 980 Ti 6GB

I run on a 1440p Asus ROG 100hz G-Sync monitor.

Outside of a 1080Ti of course, anything worth upgrading at this time with the new CPU release?

Got the upgrade itch and just checking if it's worth scratching.

Here is what I got.

i5 4670k Haswell
Asus Z87-A Motherboard
16GB DDR3 Ram
Geforce 980 Ti 6GB

I run on a 1440p Asus ROG 100hz G-Sync monitor.

Outside of a 1080Ti of course, anything worth upgrading at this time with the new CPU release?

Got the upgrade itch and just checking if it's worth scratching.

Your CPU should be plenty for most games at 1440p/100Hz. The extra cores/threads of an 8700k would be a decent upgrade at some point, but a lot of games wouldn't use the extra cores anyway, yet. Give it a year, then grab whatever is the newest processor at that point; by then, we might see most games using the extra processing power, so it'd be a worthwhile upgrade.

OK, little confused. Had some good results last night with Soka's suggestions, but after testing on 3.5 @ 1.25v, and moving to 3.6 @ 1.2v, I got into windows but afterburner and HWINFO both reported 3.0, which felt like an odd reaction from the system. Tried 3.6 again with 1.275v, no dice, still booted into windows but at 3.0. Tried dropping it back to 3.5 @ 1.275v, and same result. This is where I stopped last night.

Boot up just a bit ago, no changes in BIOS (so 3.5v @ 1.275), and I'm back to the 1550 MHz bug. No changes in BIOS work, stuck there, but still booting to windows, no failed boots or re-sets to default settings.

Then after reverting to defaults myself and exiting BIOS, greeted with the system running, but never see the BIOS splash screen or windows (monitor didn't see any input from the GPU, which spooked me quite a bit). One hard shut down later, same issue. Cleared CMOS thankfully that got us back in business but now I'm sitting here at stock from the CMOS refresh wondering WTF I'm doing wrong.

I gotta start taking pictures cause I keep forgetting exact values, feel like I'm pestering y'all cause I can't get this right w/o just OCing with Ryzen Master :(

I'm crashing for the night, but I'll look into the Ryzen OCing thing more when I'm up in the morning if you don't have a solution by then. Your issues are relatively common and certainly can be resolved, so don't give up hope!

I'm crashing for the night, but I'll look into the Ryzen OCing thing more when I'm up in the morning if you don't have a solution by then. Your issues are relatively common and certainly can be resolved, so don't give up hope!

Hah dont worry, just afraid of messing up my system, especially after the 1080 debacle

Zojirushi

Man so can we talk viable upgrade paths from Sandy/Ivy bridge again for a second because this Coffee Lake paper launch has me a little pissed so I'm just gonna put some random thoughts out there:

I'll be capping my games at 60fps for the forseeable future (1080p TV now, 4K TV at some point) and basically all I want is steady frametimes and no CPU bottlenecks at that framerate which is not what I'm getting with my current CPU (3570k)

Emulation will be thing (CEMU).

Content creation or whatever people like to call it these days is a non factor, everything besides gaming that happens on the PC is a total non issue performance wise.

I don't plan on switching CPUs a lot so we're normally looking at a five year or so lifespan.

I was gonna get that 8700k even though it might seem a little overkill now but at least I probably wouldn't have to worry about CPU stuff anymore for a while.

But now I'm wondering if there's a better path (and one that's available right now) in getting a Ryzen 1600 or 1700 now (I'm sure there's some good deals going on) for way cheaper and see what AMD can squeeze out of that AM4 board in the future (which would mean getting a new CPU earlier than I usually would.

That would basically mean applying GPU upgrade logic (getting midrange now and upgrade to new midrange faster is usually better/more cost effective than getting high end now and keeping that for longer) to CPUs.

But those clockspeeds have me worried for emulation and we don't what Ryzen 2 will be like for gaming and how expensive it'll be.

What say you GAF, anyone else put some thought into this while Coffee Lake is super not purchasable right now? ;)

Man so can we talk viable upgrade paths from Sandy/Ivy bridge again for a second because this Coffee Lake paper launch has me a little pissed so I'm just gonna put some random thoughts out there:

I'll be capping my games at 60fps for the forseeable future (1080p TV now, 4K TV at some point) and basically all I want is steady frametimes and no CPU bottlenecks at that framerate which is not what I'm getting with my current CPU (3570k)

Content creation or whatever people like to call it these days is a non factor, everything besides gaming that happens on the PC is a total non issue performance wise.

I don't plan on switching CPUs a lot so we're normally looking at a five year or so lifespan.

I was gonna get that 8700k even though it might seem a little overkill now but at least I probably wouldn't have to worry about CPU stuff anymore for a while.

But now I'm wondering if there's a better path (and one that's available right now) in getting a Ryzen 1600 or 1700 now (I'm sure there's some good deals going on) for way cheaper and see what AMD can squeeze out of that AM4 board in the future (which would mean getting a new CPU earlier than I usually would.

That would basically mean applying GPU upgrade logic (getting midrange now and upgrade to new midrange faster is usually better/more cost effective than getting high end now and keeping that for longer) to CPUs.

But those clockspeeds have me worried for emulation and we don't what Ryzen 2 will be like for gaming and how expensive it'll be.

What say you GAF, anyone else put some thought into this while Coffee Lake is super not purchasable right now? ;)

I would still hold out for the 8700k myself. Intel really holds the crown when it comes to high clocks and single threaded performance. Maybe not the answer you wanna hear, as it means more waiting, but my 2 cents. :p

Bustanen

You're good for 60fps now but CEMU needs high clock speeds so Ryzen isn't really an option unless you oc it over 4ghz.

taoofjord

In the process of building a new PC and looking for a recommendation on a quiet ~650W PSU?

My current PC has a $50 EVGA 500 BQ 500W and it's pretty loud. The fan also cycles on and off when I'm not running games

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
In the process of building a new PC and looking for a recommendation on a quiet ~650W PSU?

My current PC has a $50 EVGA 500 BQ 500W and it's pretty loud. The fan also turns on and off when I'm not running games

i don't know about the BQ models but my G2 is quiet. actually i can't say i've ever heard it make any noise... if it does then i certainly can't hear it over the case fans/cpu cooler.

i have the 750W model but they do 650W. also while G2 models are still quite good you might wanna go for the G3 model instead. both G2/G3 have eco mode not sure about BQ models so the fan won't even run unless it needs to.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Time to upgrade my old 4670K. It served me well. Going to keep PSU and case.

Is DDR4 necessary?

Any glaring mistakes/omissions? Might skip the 1080Ti for now and keep my old 980Ti for budget reasons.

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($259.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($88.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($121.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($148.55 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Storage: Crucial - MX300 525GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($145.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GAMING X Video Card ($774.87 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1540.26

Jezbollah

Is DDR4 necessary?

Any glaring mistakes/omissions? Might skip the 1080Ti for now and keep my old 980Ti for budget reasons.

Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($148.55 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GAMING X Video Card ($774.87 @ OutletPC)

Your motherboard only supports DDR4.

Is DDR4 necessary?

This is somewhat a philosophical question, but what I would do:

Since you have a 980 Ti right now, I would instead probably get the 8700k and put off the GPU upgrade until Volta comes out. Also I would likely get a better motherboard -- well, that one might be fine, but I tend to stick to Asus/Gigabyte myself.

I'm assuming you're at 1080p right now. If you're at 4k or something then yeah, you'll need the high end GPU (depending on what games you play and your expectations).

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Your motherboard only supports DDR4.

Oops, nice catch, thanks.

This is somewhat a philosophical question, but what I would do:

Since you have a 980 Ti right now, I would instead probably get the 8700k and put off the GPU upgrade until Volta comes out. Also I would likely get a better motherboard -- well, that one might be fine, but I tend to stick to Asus/Gigabyte myself.

I'm assuming you're at 1080p right now. If you're at 4k or something then yeah, you'll need the high end GPU (depending on what games you play and your expectations).

I can definitely wait until next year. I recently picked up a Sony A1E and would like to start gaming at 4k.

Would the 8700k help when Volta comes out? Or is it mainly a stopgap to assist my 980Ti for now?

Chinbo37

A friend of mine (not on GAF) was contemplating upgrading his GPU.

His current setup -

i7 4770k (most likely not overclocked)
16 gb Ram
GTX 980
1440p monitor @ 60hz

would it be worth it for him to upgrade his GPU to say a 1080 if he doesn't plan on upgrading his monitor? I think not but I wanted to check with you guys first before advising him.

Top Bottom