• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Renekton

Ok, my wife's gone crazy and is starting to build a PC around a MSI Z370-A PRO, adding good stuff all around (core i7-8700 3.2GHz, G.Skill RAM), but for a couple of months she will have to use my old PALIT GTX 660 Ti as a GPU.

Will that work without a hitch? I know nothing about GPU compatibility - I mean, I know that I can physically plugin the card into the mainboard, but my question is - should I?
I don't see an issue here, the GPU will slot in just fine.

Maybe it's just my perception but the last days I've seen a lot of mining rigs going up for sale. Is the mining boom slowing down or are people just switching out older card models while there is still resale value?

Are RAM prices ever coming down? I've been holding fire on upgrading mine for months in the hope that prices will calm down but they are just getting worse.

Thorgal

don't know how many are left here buit ill ask anyway :

does anyone have a good recommendation for a tiny Monitor ?

i only plan to use it as a second screen to browse with while doing oother stuff on my main screen .

i can not be big .

kuYuri

Are RAM prices ever coming down? I've been holding fire on upgrading mine for months in the hope that prices will calm down but they are just getting worse.

Maybe next year.

don't know how many are left here buit ill ask anyway :

does anyone have a good recommendation for a tiny Monitor ?

i only plan to use it as a second screen to browse with while doing oother stuff on my main screen .

i can not be big .

What do you mean tiny? Just go with any cheap monitor that is small enough for you. Anything below 21”-24” are practically going to be the same anyway.

If you are looking for quality brands specifically, there’s Dell, Samsung, Acer, Asus, LG, etc.

ahoyle77

Think we will see any black Friday/cyber Monday deals on cards? Looking to upgrade from a 380 2 gb. Right now seems like a 580 or 1060 is the best under $400 range cards.

yansolo

I have a question regarding the 1070ti, im looking to step up my experience and purchase a 2560x1440 monitor with 144hz-165hz g-sync. You guys think a 70ti will be enough to handle that or just go for the 80ti?

The 80ti is around $1200AUD and im assuming the 70ti will be a lot cheaper.

kuYuri

I have a question regarding the 1070ti, im looking to step up my experience and purchase a 2560x1440 monitor with 144hz-165hz g-sync. You guys think a 70ti will be enough to handle that or just go for the 80ti?

You won’t be able to max out AAA games graphics settings and get 144+ fps on a 1070 Ti or 1080 Ti. But a 1070 Ti should still be able to get you 60fps or so in most games maxed out, if you also have the processor to back it up. Consider knocking settings down to one notch below the highest if you want higher framerates..

nnarum

I would wait for benchmarks to be honest if you are set on this price point. But personally I would get a 1080 over the 70ti.

ZOONAMI

What the hell is the deal with AMD not having any decent matx boards?

Intel always has z series matx, amd not even bothering with matx sucks.

I have an evolv enthoo matx SLI build that is dope as fuck and AMD is basically forcing me to go intel for any potential cpu upgrade.

I have a Xeon 1231v3 so I think I’m going to wait until ryzen 2 or ice lake but my guess is amd again will have shitty matx boards with no sli option.

I guess I don’t really understand why matx isn’t like the standard board layout. 4 ram slots, room fo SLI, and lets you build in a small footprint without losing functionality like you do with Itx. Lame.

Weevilone

PC stuff is killing me about now.

It's getting to be the time of year when the A/C doesn't need to run at all, so all the gear in my office heats things up. Argh.. need to relocate some stuff to the storage room or something. Anyone else fight this issue?

Bloodember

What the hell is the deal with AMD not having any decent matx boards?

Intel always has z series matx, amd not even bothering with matx sucks.

I have an evolv enthoo matx SLI build that is dope as fuck and AMD is basically forcing me to go intel for any potential cpu upgrade.

I have a Xeon 1231v3 so I think I’m going to wait until ryzen 2 or ice lake but my guess is amd again will have shitty matx boards with no sli option.

I guess I don’t really understand why matx isn’t like the standard board layout. 4 ram slots, room fo SLI, and lets you build in a small footprint without losing functionality like you do with Itx. Lame.
There are many maATX boards that are good, not sure what your seeing.

Azzurri

How long with the LGA 2066 chip set hold up for? Is it just for Kaby Lake-x and Sky Lake -X? Or will Coffee Lake-X work too?

Bloodember

There are zero x370 matx boards with sli support. Don’t have the same problem with intel.

Ah gotcha, but that's not AMD's fault, that's the motherboard manufacturers not making any. Unless AMD has said no to X370 mATX boards, which I wouldn't see why since there are some mITX X370 boards.

Engell

Finally all my Parts are on their way :-D
Gaming heaven here i come

Intel i7-8700K
MSI 1080ti Gaming X
Samsung 960 EVO SSD 1TB
ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-G GAMING WI-FI
Gskill TridentZ 32GB 3200mhz cas14
Fractal Design Define Mini C
Noctua nh-d15s
Seasonic prime titanium 650w PSU

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JHKvPs
but have to wait until Monday before it arrives :-O
yeah maybe some of it doesn't make sense(performance per dollar) .. but this is what i wanted to build

luffeN

Intel i7-8700K
MSI 1080ti Gaming X
Samsung 960 EVO SSD 1TB
Noctua nh-d15s

yeah maybe some of it doesn't make sense(performance per dollar) .. but this is what i wanted to build

Are you sure you want the Define Mini C with the 1080ti and the i7? Will it stay cool enough? If yes, then I might want to copy some of the parts from this :D

appaws

Banned

It depends what you mean by "enough to handle." I have a similar display to that and I am running a regular 1070. It handles things just fine. Definitely have to adjust some things to get a real high fps on new AAA titles.

yansolo

It depends what you mean by "enough to handle." I have a similar display to that and I am running a regular 1070. It handles things just fine. Definitely have to adjust some things to get a real high fps on new AAA titles.

Basically what i mean is playing games on high/ultra and utilizing the monitors potential. Perhaps a 1080ti is the way to be more futureproof ?

Duxxy3

Intel i7-8700K
MSI 1080ti Gaming X
Samsung 960 EVO SSD 1TB
Noctua nh-d15s

I hate waiting for parts over the weekend.

Could have spent that weekend building the computer and playing games. Now you get to spend the weekend thinking about building the computer and thinking about playing games.

kuYuri

Basically what i mean is playing games on high/ultra and utilizing the monitors potential. Perhaps a 1080ti is the way to be more futureproof ?

Yes, go for the best you possibly can if you are planning on doing 1440p/144+hz, which would be the 1080 Ti.

Engell

Are you sure you want the Define Mini C with the 1080ti and the i7? Will it stay cool enough? If yes, then I might want to copy some of the parts from this :D

I will return with temperature numbers.
My plan is that next year when noctua releases their A series fans, then i will replace all fans in the case (maybe including the gtx1080ti)

Going to run two intakes in front, lower fan ducted to the gfx. And cpu cooler fan ducted out the back of the case. Also psu will suck air from inside the case.

But sucks to wait...

appaws

Banned

Without a doubt. I always tell people to get the best GPU they can afford no matter what. It's always worth it, especially moving forward.

So I've been building a pc but I'm torn between ryzen 7 and 8600K, what do you think I should go for for a gaming rig?

It totally depends on if you are going for 120+ FPS or not. If you’re building a 4K rig, it won’t really matter. But the intel chips smoke Ryzen at high FPS.

So I've been building a pc but I'm torn between ryzen 7 and 8600K, what do you think I should go for for a gaming rig?

Ryzen, as you have a definite upgrade path with a 1700X/1800X as you can drop in a Ryzen+ next year or in 2019 even a Ryzen 2 CPU straight into your motherboard.

Renekton

For an air setup, if you run double front intakes and use dust filter or extra fan for top, it should have enough airflow to keep the rig humming. But this is a non-heavy OC scenario, and the side panel will feel very warm.

Is there any reason to go for Ryzen chip at this moment at all other than availability and cheaper price compared to coffee lake when it comes to PC gaming and emulating dolphin/cemu?

yansolo

So the 1080ti it is then, the only thing that concerns me now is if id have to change the cpu, I currently have a i7 4770k, if id have to change to something newer I would have to buy a whole new motherboard that supports the newer cpu's.

Top Bottom