• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Renekton

For new Covfefe Lake owners (grats!), if your onboard sound seems to have artifacts, turn off hardware acceleration for the music playing apps like Chrome and Spotify.

So the 1080ti it is then, the only thing that concerns me now is if id have to change the cpu, I currently have a i7 4770k, if id have to change to something newer I would have to buy a whole new motherboard that supports the newer cpu's.

What resolutions are you playing at? 4770k is getting long in the tooth but is still serviceable.

yansolo

What resolutions are you playing at? 4770k is getting long in the tooth but is still serviceable.

I wanted to buy a 1440p 144/165hz monitor, but it looks like now ill have to change cpu and motherboard, as you said i guess the 4770k is getting old now and my mb only accepts 1150 pin cpus as far as im aware.

What cpu do you recommend with a 1080ti?

kuYuri

I wanted to buy a 1440p 144/165hz monitor, but it looks like now ill have to change cpu and motherboard, as you said i guess the 4770k is getting old now and my mb only accepts 1150 pin cpus as far as im aware.

What cpu do you recommend with a 1080ti?

I’m on a 4790k, which is just a refresh of your CPU, and I don’t think you really need to upgrade it right now. Especially since your playing at 1440p. At those resolutions, the GPU will be your biggest bottleneck. I think you can hold out for one more generation of CPUs until the next one.

But if you have the money to blow, then by all means.

yansolo

I’m on a 4790k, which is just a refresh of your CPU, and I don’t think you really need to upgrade it right now. Especially since your playing at 1440p. At those resolutions, the GPU will be your biggest bottleneck. I think you can hold out for one more generation of CPUs until the next one.

But if you have the money to blow, then by all means.

Yeh, i think i should be alright for at least another year, then ill put it to rest.

Weevilone

Ordered a pair of 1TB 850 EVO's from Newegg yesterday. They were on sale with a coupon code to $274.99, and 3% Ebates cash back makes it $266.xx shipped per drive. It's crazy that we still haven't matched last year's BF price of $220, and even crazier that I didn't buy any then.

I'm thinking we might beat it this year on BF or CM, but I need to consolidate some 480GB SSD's in my system b/c right now I need 5 SATA ports, and I lose one of them if I want to use 2 M.2 drives.

Really need to put the wallet back in my pants and chill for a while. Hoping these go further down on Black Friday so I can price match with Citi. And here's to hoping that we an all afford 2TB SSD's very soon.

Bustanen

Does Ryzen Threadripper have weaker single core compared to intel? I really wanted to get Ryzen but it seems like at every corner, Intel beats amd when it comes to my need.
Cemu requires really high clock speeds that aren't possible yet with Ryzen. Threadripper is not a good choice right now for gaming because the cores are wasted on current games.

Ryzen is a good budget choice but if you want the best gaming performance, go with Coffee Lake.

Is there any reason to go for Ryzen chip at this moment at all other than availability and cheaper price compared to coffee lake when it comes to PC gaming and emulating dolphin/cemu?

Depends on your needs. If you only want to play games, then get a Covfefelake CPU if you can, failing that, maybe a 7700K.
However, if you only want to play games, at 1440p or higher, then your CPU, Ryzen or Intel is pretty irrelevant compared to your GPU as that'll be the main bottleneck.

If you only want to play games at 1080p/144hz+ then you'll be much better served by an Intel CPU, though an overclocked R5 1600 can do 144fps in various games. You'd still be better served for 144hz by an Intel 8400 or better.

Graphics card is import though, you won't see much if any difference between many CPUs if you're playing on highest settings, 1080p/1440p with a GTX 1070 or lower tiered card.

CmdBash

Acer Predator XB252Q 240hz Gsync for $599 AUD, what do you guys think? Currently on a 3570k/970 system. Not worth the cost for future proofing?

Hi all,

I'm attempting to build my first gaming PC before the end of this year. Can someone recommend me a full list around $1k (maybe SLIGHTLY over)? Really wanna build a powerhouse for that amount & don't want to upgrade again for a longtime after that. Specifically for playing games. My current setup is:

Monitor: Dell 27" 1440p/Gsync 144hz

GPU: GTX 970

CPU: i5 4690k @ 4.2GHz

Power Supply: Antec 620W

Motherboard: ASRock Z97M-ITX/AC LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6G

RAM: PNY 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory

HD/SSD: Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB
Kingston Digital 240GB

Luiquid Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H100i

P.S. This PC was a mini ITX build that my brother gave me when I left my first year of college. It's been a game changer for the 3+ years I've had it (was always a console gamer, but now all in for PC master race), but it's definitely starting to show its age for newer games, especially since the upgrade on the monitor. Is it a good idea to hold out until Black Friday/Cyber Monday for PC parts?

LilJoka

Hi all,

I'm attempting to build my first gaming PC before the end of this year. Can someone recommend me a full list around $1k (maybe SLIGHTLY over)? Really wanna build a powerhouse for that amount & don't want to upgrade again for a longtime after that. Specifically for playing games. My current setup is:

Kingston Digital 240GB

P.S. This PC was a mini ITX build that my brother gave me when I left my first year of college. It's been a game changer for the 3+ years I've had it (was always a console gamer, but now all in for PC master race), but it's definitely starting to show its age for newer games, especially since the upgrade on the monitor. Is it a good idea to hold out until Black Friday/Cyber Monday for PC parts?

Is the problem with this pc that it's not enough for 1440p60? What types of games?
I would think even a 4790k + 1070/1080 could be a good route.

Is the problem with this pc that it's not enough for 1440p60? What types of games?
I would think even a 4790k + 1070/1080 could be a good route.

That & mostly because I want to be able to build one myself to call my own (and give this one to my parents who don't have a computer).

Hi all,

Kingston Digital 240GB

This is about the best I can do, you could save some on the case but let's be honest, your case is the first thing you'll see when you sit down at your desk to use your PC and you want that to look good. The Meshify C in my opion is one of the best looking cases out there right now so you may as well get a more expensive case that looks good and has good airflow.
Speaking of airflow, I'd also advise getting two 140mm fans to put into the front of this case.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6pNqTH
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6pNqTH/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.89 @ B&H)
Pretty much the best gaming CPU for under £/$200 availible right now.

Motherboard: MSI - Z370-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
The cheapest Z370 board out right now.

Memory: G.Skill - FORTIS 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($142.87 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Cheaped out as much as possible on this, but faster memory would be ideal.

Storage: ADATA - Ultimate SU800 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Toshiba - P300 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($40.49 @ Amazon)

Tough decision here, personally, I'd go for a 500Gb SSD for about $150 and pick up a cheap 1Tb HDD later on.

Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Mini Video Card ($393.88 @ OutletPC)
Cheapest 1070 I could find, if you can find a 1070Ti for a similar price, consider that instead or even a 1080.

Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)

It's beautiful, and functional.

Power Supply: EVGA - B3 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($46.98 @ Newegg)
450W should be more than enough for a locked CPU like the 8400.

Total: $1059.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-31 09:50 EDT-0400

Mystic654

xFAs2bql.jpg

XnqkOIXl.jpg

ymqZKlGl.jpg

0z3HUTEl.jpg

3c6dhlvl.jpg

I havn't really started to clean up the wiring yet.

Some Heights:
- Radiators: 2x 560 Hardware-Labs SR-2 | 2x 420 Hardware-Labs SR-2
- Fans: Radiators - Corsair ML Pro 140 (in Push/Pull) | Case Fans: BeQuiet Silent Wings 3.
- Every single cable in the PC is custom made from the ground up using Molex or TE brand terminals with AlphaWire MPPE or normal PVC wiring(I Mean every wire, This includes: PSU, USB, Fans, Lighting, Aquabus, etc...).
- Custom made wiring has been created for my pumps & some of Fan controllers that has been tweaked to run from PCiE slots on the PSU using the 12v + GND wires.
- Some of the lighting is custom built (Mainly the 5mm). I couldn't get a hold of everything to create my own LED strips.
- The case has been modded for Passthroughs, Fillport, mounting & drains.
- All the radiators have been custom painted by me to match the case.
- All the fittings comes from Bitspower. Only Fillport & passthroughs come from EK since there not watermarked.
- Other mounting items & monoblocks has also been custom painted.
- The MonoBlock is from EK, The GPU block is from WaterCool
- The Reservoirs come from WaterCool & AquaComputer.
- I also have both my M.2 Harddrives watercooled(960 Pro & Evo 1TB Each).
- Harddrive Space. Close to 30TB of Space. a Good 10TB is dedicated for video recording, Since my videocard can capture uncompressed in 4K60 or 1080p144.
- CPU is a 10 Core with 20 threads from X99 chipset. Since it has more lanes and is faster then some new chipsets. Not sure what new boards keep reducing the amount of lanes available. Some of us actually need all the extra lanes.
- Also everything is controlled by single software program, This includes the lighting, Fans, flow meter, temperature, Pumps etc...
- All the cable combs are made from Carbon Fiber, not from that cheap acrylic.
- All cables have been fully sleeved with MDPC-X.
- Finally & most important all the tubing is 100% glass. I did not use any PETG or acrylic tubing.

jyoung188

I was finally able to buy a i7 8700 this morning from Newegg (non k, don't mess with over clocking) and I need motherboard recommendations. My eyes are crossing trying to figure out what to buy. I don't want lights and all that bs and I don't need WiFi and I'll be air cooling. What are you coffee lake folks running?

Edit: and I’m running a full size tower so it doesn’t have to be one of the smaller boards.

Weevilone

I was finally able to buy a i7 8700 this morning from Newegg (non k, don't mess with over clocking) and I need motherboard recommendations. My eyes are crossing trying to figure out what to buy. I don't want lights and all that bs and I don't need WiFi and I'll be air cooling. What are you coffee lake folks running?

Edit: and I’m running a full size tower so it doesn’t have to be one of the smaller boards.

I would recommend to look for a Gigabyte board that looks serviceable. Asus is a pain to work with if you need RMA or tech assistance, and man.. their Z370 boards are pushing CPUs too hard out of the box. I assembled mine and started setting things up with it on default settings, assuming those were safe. Damn thing was pushing 1.4+ Vcore out of the box. It took some tweaking to get things to back down until I had time to tinker.

IMACOMPUTA

Edit: and I'm running a full size tower so it doesn't have to be one of the smaller boards.

I highly recommend the Asrock Fatal1ty Gaming K6.
Its solid AF and a lot cheaper than the other boards in its class.

That being said, the Gigabyte Gaming 7 is better and is currently on sale, bringing it closer to the Asrock price. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145036&ignorebbr=1

Edit: Uhh, apparently dont get the gaming 7 if you have a gigabyte Aorus 1080ti.

Decider

My 8700k arrived from Scan yesterday but I'm in two minds as to whether or not I should wait for the Maximus X Code or just go for the wi-fi Hero so I can get on with the build.

Im having a bit of a problem on my pc. Games feel kinda "jumpy" as if games would freeze up for a fraction of a second with stable intervals. If I use perfoverlay.drawgraph command in bf1 I can see that in menu I get small jumps in cpu frametime.... any thoughts...?

Weevilone

My 8700k arrived from Scan yesterday but I'm in two minds as to whether or not I should wait for the Maximus X Code or just go for the wi-fi Hero so I can get on with the build.

My only input regarding the Hero is that you have to practically beg it to NOT send more than 1.4V Vcore. Meanwhile it'll be overvolting the memory controller and such as well.. straight out of the box at default settings.

It isn't a big deal if you know what you're doing, but it is annoying. I'm sure the Code is the same.

Anyone here with Kraken X62?

I'm checking the subreddit of NZXT and every day, more and more people are getting failed pumps. I bought mine a long time ago (but havent unboxed it yet) and I worry it will fail. So many youtubers have been using them and they must sell like hotcakes as when I am checking on amazon, pcpartpicker, newegg and other review sites, its still rated relatively favorable.
It's just a hassle to build a new system and immediately starting to worry about the cooler. People also complain about the cam software, saying it's shit.

The cooler looks amazing though and the mods of reddit NZXT insist that it's not a widespread problem. That might be so, but its still concerning to me. There looks to be an unusual amount of people with bad pumps every day. Been checking the reddit out weekly for 3 months now.

nemisis0

Anyone here with Kraken X62?

I'm checking the subreddit of NZXT and every day, more and more people are getting failed pumps. I bought mine a long time ago (but havent unboxed it yet) and I worry it will fail. So many youtubers have been using them and they must sell like hotcakes as when I am checking on amazon, pcpartpicker, newegg and other review sites, its still rated relatively favorable.
It's just a hassle to build a new system and immediately starting to worry about the cooler. People also complain about the cam software, saying it's shit.

The cooler looks amazing though and the mods of reddit NZXT insist that it's not a widespread problem. That might be so, but its still concerning to me. There looks to be an unusual amount of people with bad pumps every day. Been checking the reddit out weekly for 3 months now.

I have one and have had no problems so far since June this year, don't worry to much about it.

Decider

My only input regarding the Hero is that you have to practically beg it to NOT send more than 1.4V Vcore. Meanwhile it'll be overvolting the memory controller and such as well.. straight out of the box at default settings.

It isn't a big deal if you know what you're doing, but it is annoying. I'm sure the Code is the same.

It's my first build so I don't yet. Looks like I have some reading to do.

Weevilone

It's my first build so I don't yet. Looks like I have some reading to do.

There are some ASUS Kaby Lake overclocking guides out there that would be valuable reads. Raja from ASUS wrote one of them, should help you get a feel.

Even if you aren't immediately overclocking, it'll help you understand things.

Thanks, Aquasuite (Aqua-Computer). Allot of my hardware is from Aquacomputer.

Any looking into doing glass read up on glass cutting, Glass dust is extremely dangerous if you inhale it.

I have Aqusuite!

I'm using an AquaComputer Cuplex Kryos NEXT Vision CPU block. Good stuff.

One day I'd like to do glass...

Decider

There are some ASUS Kaby Lake overclocking guides out there that would be valuable reads. Raja from ASUS wrote one of them, should help you get a feel.

Even if you aren't immediately overclocking, it'll help you understand things.

Thanks! My goal with my system is to keep it going for as long as possible- my last desktop PC stretched to nine years with a few key upgrades. I'd like to do the same again, so overclocking isn't what I'm looking to do now but something I may do in future to keep performance acceptable.

Weevilone

Thanks! My goal with my system is to keep it going for as long as possible- my last desktop PC stretched to nine years with a few key upgrades. I'd like to do the same again, so overclocking isn't what I'm looking to do now but something I may do in future to keep performance acceptable.

Well, then you will want to ensure the motherboard isn't over-volting the shit out of everything. That will degrade it for sure. Mine was running with all cores locked at 4.7 and Vcore uncomfortably high on the default settings.

Mystic654

I have Aqusuite!

I'm using an AquaComputer Cuplex Kryos NEXT Vision CPU block. Good stuff.

One day I'd like to do glass...

Vision blocks are nice, I originally had them on a few blocks. I couldn't get the tubing from Vision block to GPU. The spacing was to small. Then all the wiring that comes out from it was a mess. I just gave up on it and just installed a SLI Block instead. I'll just use one of those Vision Table top units instead.

Glass is harder to work with since it can't be bent without very high temperatures & a blowpipe. Heatgun is unless with glass.

With cutting you basically have two choices Dremel with a Diamond tip blade or Glass Jaws. Glass Jaws works great with longer glass cuts(as long as you get a quality tool). If you need to make small pieces you will have to use a dremel. Dremel will throw glass dust everywhere. That's why you have to wear a mask with that.

You also need diamond tipped files or a very hot flame for edges of the glass to curve the edges so you don't tear or break the o-ring.

hxcmuziq

Banned
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30258409&postcount=9780

I'm looking to upgrade this from 2011, but I don't really want to spend more than it would cost to get xb1x, is that possible? I'm going to play on a LG OLED65G6P so I'd like to have HDR and 4k possible. What do I need?

i5 2500K
ASRock P67 Extreme 4
Antec HCG-750W PSU
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 1333
MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr III Power Edition/OC Graphics Card
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212

I'm looking to upgrade this from 2011, but I don't really want to spend more than it would cost to get xb1x, is that possible? I'm going to play on a LG OLED65G6P so I'd like to have HDR and 4k possible. What do I need?

i5 2500K
ASRock P67 Extreme 4
Antec HCG-750W PSU
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212

The gpu alone will probably be more

i5 2500K
ASRock P67 Extreme 4
Antec HCG-750W PSU
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212

Just upgrade the GPU. GTX 1070 or better.

You don't need a new CPU, mobo, etc. for 4K. You'll be so severely GPU bottlenecks at that resolution, that your crusty af CPU won't even matter.
Seriously, even with 1080Ti, a Pentium G4560 and a 7700K are equal when it comes to frame rates in games.

Edit: I should clarify. They're equal in a lot of games, when played in 4K resolution and maxed out.

3307601-img_0763.jpg

I've got some cables to clean up, but this was my compromise for not getting a Xbox One X. Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.6, GTX 1080, 16GB of RAM @2933, M.2 and SATA SSD's.

OK just for shits and giggles... would this work?

https://www.vive.com/us/nvidia-gtx-1070-vive-bundle/

Sure, but do note. You won't be maxing out games with a 1070 at 4K and maintaining a solid frame rate. You'll have to make sacrifices here and there, but no worse than the sacrifices that game developers would otherwise impose on you anyway with an X1X.

Personally, if I was in your shoes and had $800 laying around, I'd get a second hand 2600K, a decent cooler and then spend the rest on the best GPU I could for 4K.

Also personally, I think 4K is extremely overrated for games and that it's been pushed prematurely on consumers. But hey, that's just me.

Top Bottom