• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2018-2019. High memory costs, now with more cores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Just ordered

Fractal R6 case (from R4)
Corsair AX 850W 80 Plus Gold PSU (current)
i7-8700k CPU (from i7-3770k)
Noctua NH-D15S cooler (from Noctua NH-D14 )
Asus ROG STRIX Z370-F board (from Asus P8Z77-V PRO)
3200MHz cl14 DDR4 ram (from DDR3 1600MHZ CL9)
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X (current)
Samsung 970 EVO 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD system disk (from Samsung 830 256GB SATA SSD)

Hopefully this will be sufficient to help my bottlenecked DCS in VR..

I have a feeling I should've bought a delid tool and some thermal paste for the CPU.. I'll do it later if I have to..

Kudo

Just ordered

Samsung 970 EVO 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD system disk (from Samsung 830 256GB SATA SSD)

I have a feeling I should've bought a delid tool and some thermal paste for the CPU.. I'll do it later if I have to..
I don't think you're going to need to delid that CPU in long time.
Pretty big upgrade in CPU and RAM, those should help with VR, hopefully you'll have good results with this!

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
So I game on Xbox One X and PS4 vanilla right now. I think I want my PC set up to be a frame rate beast since that's what seems to be lacking on current gen consoles. If I can get that with 4k that would be awesome but my budget doesn't seem to allow that given the landscape/pricing of components right now. I'll list my criteria in order:

1. Want to be able to video edit. This includes youtube and streaming.
2. Want to be able to hit at least solid 60fps on most games at high settings (ultra is not a requirement)
3. Resolution up to 1440p would be awesome but ultimately, tertiary, as this list suggests.
4. I want something easy to upgrade. I don't want to have to rebuild my entire PC when it comes time to upgrade, due to compatibility issues.
5. SSD preferred. I'll buy external HDs for non-crucial programs and such.

Maybe put together a bulid on pcpartspicker using some of the suggestions of A.Romero, then we can tweak it after that or make some suggestions.

Last edited:

RavageX

New problem guys...

Powers up, 5 beeps, display says no signal.

New build consisting of:

Ryzen 5 1500X

ASRock X470 Master SLi/AC

2 - 4GB Sticks of G.Skill Ripjaws V series DDR4 2666

850W Bronze EVGA

Have gone through the basic troubleshooting, but end result is the same, 5 beeps, monitor says No Signal.

I haven't tried a DVI cable yet. I have tried two different GPUs. No other devices are plugged up, just mobo, ram, cpu, power supply.

Tried reseting CMOS, switched ram around and so on.

I was thinking of trying:

DVI cable
A new GPU just to be sure.
Installing a optical drive to see if it will run the cd that came with the mobo and hoping that will do something.

I do not know what 5 beeps means, but the website (ASrocks) points to VGA card not being detected, which makes sense.

Tech support says the pcie slots may be defective....

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
New problem guys...

Powers up, 5 beeps, display says no signal.

New build consisting of:

Ryzen 5 1500X

ASRock X470 Master SLi/AC

2 - 4GB Sticks of G.Skill Ripjaws V series DDR4 2666

850W Bronze EVGA

Have gone through the basic troubleshooting, but end result is the same, 5 beeps, monitor says No Signal.

I haven't tried a DVI cable yet. I have tried two different GPUs. No other devices are plugged up, just mobo, ram, cpu, power supply.

Tried reseting CMOS, switched ram around and so on.

I was thinking of trying:

DVI cable
A new GPU just to be sure.
Installing a optical drive to see if it will run the cd that came with the mobo and hoping that will do something.

I do not know what 5 beeps means, but the website (ASrocks) points to VGA card not being detected, which makes sense.

Tech support says the pcie slots may be defective....

Have you tried powering up without the GPU installed just hdmi direct from the mobo to the monitor ?

Kudo

If the mobo has many PCIE slots, have you tried them all? Also try with just one stick of RAM to make sure if you didn't already.

RavageX

Update.

Did the rebuild from scratch, and it appears that either a pcie slot is dead, or my newer graphics card is, it would the 5 beeps and not the other.

Currently running on an 1050ti that gave me trouble.

Now, I can't seem to get a fresh copy of windows installed...

Enlil

I have a i7 3rd generation CPU and DDR3 ram 16GB, If I buy the new gtx 1180 (assuming they will call it that) do I have to upgrade my cpu and ram?

Last edited:

Flyinmunky

Guys i have a Titan Fenrir Evo CPU Cooler (Socket LGA775LGA1156LGA1155LGA1366AMD K8AM2AM2+AM3) I know 1151 is not listed but would this cooler rework fine with a i7-8700k?

A.Romero

I have a i7 3rd generation CPU and DDR3 ram 16GB, If I buy the new gtx 1180 (assuming they will call it that) do I have to upgrade my cpu and ram?

You would need to upgrade if you want to get the full potential of the 1180. Your CPU would be a bottle neck IMO.

Guys i have a Titan Fenrir Evo CPU Cooler (Socket LGA775LGA1156LGA1155LGA1366AMD K8AM2AM2+AM3) I know 1151 is not listed but would this cooler rework fine with a i7-8700k?

Yes, 1151 is pretty similar (or the same) to 1155 or 1156. It would do a better job than a stock cooler but I don't think you would be able to OC.

RavageX

So it turns out that my newish video card had bitten the dust somehow. Currently RMAing it and plan to sell the new one.

I bought a (better) replacement that's working fine. All I plan to do now is replace a failing hard drive next week, and in the future adding another 8gb of ram.

A.Romero

So it turns out that my newish video card had bitten the dust somehow. Currently RMAing it and plan to sell the new one.

I bought a (better) replacement that's working fine. All I plan to do now is replace a failing hard drive next week, and in the future adding another 8gb of ram.

Congrats, man. What games have you played?

Revoh

Hey GAF,

I bought a Mini server a few months ago that runs awesome for what it is but I'm looking to add a GPU to it and play some games on it. I just want to make sure before ordering a GPU, case and so on, that the CPU will not bottleneck my graphics card. Even though the thing is 6 cores with hyperthreading, the clock speed is just 2.5 Ghz and that's after Turbo.

Here's the server: https://www.supermicro.com/products/system/Mini-ITX/SYS-E200-8D.cfm
And the motherboard: https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/D/X10SDV-6C-TLN4F.cfm

CPU
  • Intel® Xeon® processor D-1528
  • FCBGA 1667
  • CPU TDP support 35W, 9MB, 6 Cores, 12 Threads, 1.9-2.2GHz

Will this thing be abe to run games in Ultra at 1440p (or 1080p) at 100 FPS if I put a GTX1080 or something in there? I mostly play Diablo 3, CS:GO, and now WoW. Looking forward to give PUBG a look also.

A.Romero

Hey GAF,

I bought a Mini server a few months ago that runs awesome for what it is but I'm looking to add a GPU to it and play some games on it. I just want to make sure before ordering a GPU, case and so on, that the CPU will not bottleneck my graphics card. Even though the thing is 6 cores with hyperthreading, the clock speed is just 2.5 Ghz and that's after Turbo.

Here's the server: https://www.supermicro.com/products/system/Mini-ITX/SYS-E200-8D.cfm
And the motherboard: https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/D/X10SDV-6C-TLN4F.cfm

CPU
  • Intel® Xeon® processor D-1528
  • FCBGA 1667
  • CPU TDP support 35W, 9MB, 6 Cores, 12 Threads, 1.9-2.2GHz

Will this thing be abe to run games in Ultra at 1440p (or 1080p) at 100 FPS if I put a GTX1080 or something in there? I mostly play Diablo 3, CS:GO, and now WoW. Looking forward to give PUBG a look also.

You would be able to play the games but I don't think you could hit 100 fps steady. You wouldn't get all the juice out of that 1080.

That said, there is only 1 way to find out: get it and return it if you don't get the results you expected.

For monitor... You can laughs all you want, but go for CRT monitor, the colors and blacks is better, and 120,140hz monitors are cheap.

Makariel

For monitor... You can laughs all you want, but go for CRT monitor, the colors and blacks is better, and 120,140hz monitors are cheap.
Nah, thanks. Only reason to pick CRT if you have an old console with analog output and you don't want to bring lag into the system.

Makariel

I'm perfectly fine with my CRT 120hz with new PC.. The picture amazing, comparing to the new LCDs.
How many new monitors did you try then? I'm always curious if someone claims old technology is best technology, exactly when they stopped engaging with what is considered new? After all, even in vision research CRT have started being replaced by high quality LCD monitors.

I wouldn't even be able to fit a CRT on my desk now, they just take up so much space.

How many new monitors did you try then? I'm always curious if someone claims old technology is best technology, exactly when they stopped engaging with what is considered new? After all, even in vision research CRT have started being replaced by high quality LCD monitors.

I wouldn't even be able to fit a CRT on my desk now, they just take up so much space.

You said the keyword... High quality LCDs... High quality LCDs considered with VA panels, and oled TV, qled TV, only those can fight with CRT monitor blacks,contrast,and colors, there are still many company's like movie company who still use CRT monitor's because of the natural colors. Who the hell can afford VA panel monitors? And oled TVs...

They are not that expensive. On ebay one can find VA and IPS panels at decent prices. If you can afford a gaming PC chances are you can afford VA panels.
IPS panels are worse than CRT... Decent price? 540usd a no named monitor va panel 4k 60hz? No thanks... Its way too Much for a 32" monitor.

Makariel

Decent price? 540usd a no named monitor va panel 4k 60hz? No thanks... Its way too Much for a 32" monitor.
Where would you find a 32" CRT handling 4K images for much cheaper than that? Yes you can find some old CRT TV but that's not giving you the same resolution and refresh rate.

Where would you find a 32" CRT handling 4K images for much cheaper than that? Yes you can find some old CRT TV but that's not giving you the same resolution and refresh rate.
?

CRT is cheap 120hz, while VA panel monitor (crossover brand name) is 60hz and 4k but 700 usd… 4k, there is little difference between 4k and fhd, we cant really see the difference with my friend. FHD is more than enough right now, A 4k monitor with 120hz is 1200usd its ridiculous price for a monitor..

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Maybe put together a bulid on pcpartspicker using some of the suggestions of A.Romero, then we can tweak it after that or make some suggestions.

Ok, sorry for the bump, but I finally did it. This thread inspired me to just dive head first and build my own PC. I'll post pictures when I get home, but I was excited to share the news.

I used a Masterbox Lite 5 RBG Mid Tower case.

Mobo (I learned that recently): Rog Strix Z370 e-gaming
CPU: i5 8400 Coffee Lake w/ Cooler Master fan
GPU: EVGA 1070ti (16GB)?
RAM: 8 GB Vengeance DDR4 (can expand to 32 with same sticks)
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 500GB

Right now I have it hooked up to my Samsung KS8000 4KTV

I just finished the build a day ago. Got all the drivers and everything set up. Discord, twitch, etc.

I'd like to start video editing. Is there some freeware you guys can recommend?

Also, I need a good monitor.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
So.

A few weeks ago a lightning hit my house. I was playing some game on my PC, then a neighbour came and I went to open the door. At that point, I heard the thunder right on top of my head and a loud BANG, like a pistol shot. I went to my PC room and it was still running, the game was still on, so it didn't even reboot. But there was a faint smell of burnt. But even the electric lifesaver (I have no idea what it's called in english... in italian is "salvavita") didn't went off.
Anyway, I went on playing for hours, then the day after I went out for a dozen days to a trip.
My mother came into my apartment a few days after, she turned on the PC power strip (because of the modem) and she saw sparks from my PC.
Days after, I came back to my apartment, turned on the power strip, tried to turn on my pc and the lifesaver this time went off. Removed the power cable and substitued it with another one, tried to turn it on again and BANG, more sparkles from my power supply and the lifesaver went off again.
Just telling the story because I find it weird and interesting that it broke this way, on the distance.

Since it was an old PC (my main PC is in my parent's house, this one had a Radeon 4850HD) that I used mostly for old games, I decided to just buy a new cheap one.

TLDR;
I need a new cheap PC that will let me play some games, non intensive ones, browse the net and for cheap. Any suggestion?

Last edited:

A.Romero

So.

A few weeks ago a lightning hit my house. I was playing some game on my PC, then a neighbour came and I went to open the door. At that point, I heard the thunder right on top of my head and a loud BAND, like a pistol shot. I went to my PC room and it was still running, the game was still on, so it didn't even reboot. But there was a faint smell of burnt. But even the electric lifesaver (I have no idea what it's called in english... in italian is "salvavita") didn't went off.
Anyway, I went on playing for hours, then the day after I went out for a dozen days to a trip.
My mother came into my apartment a few days after, she turned on the PC power strip (because of the modem) and she saw sparks from my PC.
Days after, I came back to my apartment, turned on the power strip, tried to turn on my pc and the lifesaver this time went off. Removed the power cable and substitued it with another one, tried to turn it on again and BANG, more sparkles from my power supply and the lifesaver went off again.
Just telling the story because I find it weird and interesting that it broke this way, on the distance.

Since it was an old PC (my main PC is in my parent's house, this one had a Radeon 4850HD) that I used mostly for old games, I decided to just buy a new cheap one.

TLDR;
I need a new cheap PC that will let me play some games, non intensive ones, browse the net and for cheap. Any suggestion?

Maybe replacing the PSU could be enough.

It is a weird situation indeed.

Makariel

Almost surely would, but I'm taking it as an excuse to update it a bit.
What's your budget? No sense suggesting a 2080ti if you want to spend just around 500€. If you're not too bothered about shiny graphics you can get quite far with a R5 2400G with integrated Vega 11 GPU. Put that on a B350/450 motherboard with 8GB RAM and an SSD and you're good to go. You can later upgrade with a GTX1070 (or RTX 2070 ;)) (& some extra RAM) and have a very capable machine.

YIKES

Just ordered

Intel using shitty mayonnaise for internal TIM is not a just a joke, if you're planning on overclocking it you'll find that delidding might give you a profound cooling advantage (cooler CPU means less thermal throttle and less electrons migrating and corroding your expensive chip from the inside out), but it's fine if you leave the settings alone.

Fuz

Banned
What's your budget? No sense suggesting a 2080ti if you want to spend just around 500€. If you're not too bothered about shiny graphics you can get quite far with a R5 2400G with integrated Vega 11 GPU. Put that on a B350/450 motherboard with 8GB RAM and an SSD and you're good to go. You can later upgrade with a GTX1070 (or RTX 2070 ;)) (& some extra RAM) and have a very capable machine.
Around 500 is fine. I used to play Path of Exile and Secret World Legends on it. Also Overwatch on minimum graphic details. And a shit-ton of pixel art games (Wadjet adventures, things like Dead Cells and Death's Gambit... you know).
Nothing too intensive, really.

Last edited:

Makariel

Around 500 is fine. I used to play Path of Exile and Secret World Legends on it. Also Overwatch on minimum graphic details. And a shit-ton of pixel art games (Wadjet adventures, things like Dead Cells and Death's Gambit... you know).
Nothing too intensive, really.
Overwatch seems to be working alright on the R5 2400G:

... and it shouldn't have any issues with pixel art games either, so I guess with something like that you're good to go :) (you can save a few bucks by going to B350 or A320 if you never plan to overclock and the case is a bit bland).

theclaw135

Banned
Tips on building a stable PC? Let's say about a $2000 budget if necessary.

It will be for actual gaming. I have little love for overclocking or benchmarks.
To be clear: I'm NOT going to tolerate freezes, crashes, or general technical failures that can avoided by buying quality parts from the start. Even if they cost more yet are less powerful, the in-game experience is what counts.

Last edited:

YIKES

It will be for actual gaming. I have little love for overclocking or benchmarks.
To be clear: I'm NOT going to tolerate freezes, crashes, or general technical failures that can avoided by buying quality parts from the start. Even if they cost more yet are less powerful, the in-game experience is what counts.
Then i can't recommend you'd take a Ryzen system just yet UNLESS you get an -X with more acceptable single-thread speeds and midrange to hi-end motherboard. Asus, MSI and Asrock and Gigabyte are all cutting some dangerous corners in the cheap tier resulting in Cheap VRMs that won't allow overclocking, even if the BIOS would be semi-useable.

I have an 2700x with a gigabyte x470 "ultra gaming", thing's been giving me headaches.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

Have you built a PC before?

A well built PC usually wont have crashes or other things you mentioned. That stuff is usually caused by faulty parts that you cannot really control. Of course buying reputible parts will help, but I dont think anyone in this thread would recommend otherwise.

Does 2k including a monitor?

As you wont be overclocking, you have a good budget, I would start with a Intel 8700 and a GTX 1080 or RTX 2070 (depending on when you build) and go from there.

Let us know about the monitor and we can assist further.

theclaw135

Banned
I'm using a PC I built. Just want to be more educated this time to make sure.

I could reuse my monitor. Other things like the keyboard, mouse, speakers and disk drives, likely as well. Unless they'll contribute to unforeseen problems down the road.
Though I don't own any m.2 drive.

Morinaga

I'm using a PC I built. Just want to be more educated this time to make sure.

I could reuse my monitor. Other things like the keyboard, mouse, speakers and disk drives, likely as well. Unless they'll contribute to unforeseen problems down the road.
Though I don't own any m.2 drive.

one big tip for building a gaming rig:

Get an NVME drive (120gig) is enough for your boot drive
2.5 SSD for Games - Does not need to be a super great one or anything, even the cheaper ones will perform well.

Make sure your motherboard supports NVME (m.2 drive specifically NVME and not just SATA)

Set the NVME as your boot drive only
Set the SSD as a programs/Games only and install programs only to the SSD, never the NVME.

Pro tip: on the windows10 setup a local account instead an online account.

YIKES

Make sure your motherboard supports NVME (m.2 drive specifically NVME and not just SATA)
In the case of AMD's X470, check the manual for the primary m.2 slot, the pci-e connection is reserved for just that slot allowing it to be connected without stealing lanes from the PCI-e slots.

A.Romero

I'm from a poor ass country.

I'd change the name of the thread to "I NEED MY PC TO SURVIVE UNTIL 2028"

To be honest if you are not into VR, most gaming PC's built in the last 4 - 5 years still provide pretty good results at 1080P/60FPS thanks to consoles having lower specs and being used as reference for min requirements during development. It's not likely that it will last 10 more years but I think you can expect to have decent results at least a couple more years. Once next gen hits, hardware will feel old.

Another thing is gaming through streaming (Like PSNow) will probably be a reality by 2020 so you could probably game pretty decently by paying a sub instead of investing a lot of money at once.

To be honest if you are not into VR, most gaming PC's built in the last 4 - 5 years still provide pretty good results at 1080P/60FPS thanks to consoles having lower specs and being used as reference for min requirements during development. It's not likely that it will last 10 more years but I think you can expect to have decent results at least a couple more years. Once next gen hits, hardware will feel old.

Another thing is gaming through streaming (Like PSNow) will probably be a reality by 2020 so you could probably game pretty decently by paying a sub instead of investing a lot of money at once.

Thanks for the love Romero. Hope to see a new Quake single player soon.

theclaw135

Banned
Then i can't recommend you'd take a Ryzen system just yet UNLESS you get an -X with more acceptable single-thread speeds and midrange to hi-end motherboard. Asus, MSI and Asrock and Gigabyte are all cutting some dangerous corners in the cheap tier resulting in Cheap VRMs that won't allow overclocking, even if the BIOS would be semi-useable.

I have an 2700x with a gigabyte x470 "ultra gaming", thing's been giving me headaches.

From the stability standpoint, it might be better if the motherboard omits overclocking. Less things to tempt me into getting over my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom