• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2020. Ray Tracing. 120Hz-360Hz. Next-Gen Already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadYarpen

Thanks. It makes sense to wait, obviously, but at least now I know what should I aim for.

Also, maybe the Navi will influence the prices. I am not in a rush or anything.

Ascend

Thanks. It makes sense to wait, obviously, but at least now I know what should I aim for.

Also, maybe the Navi will influence the prices. I am not in a rush or anything.
I'd wait for both the nVidia and AMD options. Both should be out before November.

dave_d

D dave_d
I revisited some old info. It was the CoolerMaster NR600 that you can grab with an internal optical drive bay as an option. You've probably moved on by now.
Brief bit of coverage at 3:17 seconds in:

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't actually done anything yet. (Still waiting for Ryzen 4000 series news and RTX 3000.) I looked into it and I would have bought it but I'm finding that NR600 ODD (the model that supports optical drives) isn't sold in the US. Not a big deal though, I can look harder once I actually do my build.

dave_d

I'd wait for both the nVidia and AMD options. Both should be out before November.
Of course this is great advice given what we saw with the 3070 and 3080. I'm guessing I'll go 3070. AMD, come on and announce Ryzen 3rd gen so I can get my build going :messenger_grinning:

gamer82

Hey folks, so i' also looking for some advice, as i new member i cant post so sorry in advance about asking here.

so i bought this prebuilt a few years ago thinking i was doing well turns out probably not.

my spec asus a320m-k ,
ryzen 5 1600x,
nvidia gtx 1060 3gb,
corsair 16gb 3200mhz ddr4( recent)

also how do you tell if your runing 3200mhz i did select xmp profile in bios but is it normal to still show 2133mhz next to ddr slots in thier i assumed they would just show as 3200mhz ? noob to pc tech so apologies.

wd Blue m.2 1tb and 1tb barracuda hdd
corasir sv 450 psu

would this pc handle the new rtx 3070 and 3080 and would i be able to get 1440p and possible 4k . i do have a dell 1440p monitor but i prefer the pq of the oled and the much bigger screen so im hooked up to my lg b9 for now so 60hz to 120hz would be good nt really fussed about anything higher as i just casually play.

currently im playing doom eternal at 1440p most setting at ultra nightmare bar the top two. and seems good. but i deffo need a new gfx that 3gb is bad what i was thinking at the time, it was a quick purchase.

thanks for any help and advice its appreciated .

Last edited:

Ascend

Of course this is great advice given what we saw with the 3070 and 3080. I'm guessing I'll go 3070. AMD, come on and announce Ryzen 3rd gen so I can get my build going :messenger_grinning:
I was referring to AMD's graphics cards rather than their CPUs. But waiting for their CPUs is also definitely a good idea. You can either get the current ones cheaper, or pay the same for the newer better performing CPUs.

my spec asus a320m-k ,
ryzen 5 1600x,
nvidia gtx 1060 3gb,
corsair 16gb 3200mhz ddr4( recent)

also how do you tell if your runing 3200mhz i did select xmp profile in bios but is it normal to still show 2133mhz next to ddr slots in thier i assumed they would just show as 3200mhz ? noob to pc tech so apologies.
Don't expect a 1600X to run 3200 MHz reliably. The 1000 series is extremely sensitive to memory. Check your motherboard RAM compatibility here. (Source).

What you can also try is using the Ryzen DRAM calculator tool and see if it gives you good results. Always try safe mode first. If you need more help with this, let us know.

wd Blue m.2 1tb and 1tb barracuda hdd
corasir sv 450 psu

would this pc handle the new rtx 3070 and 3080 and would i be able to get 1440p and possible 4k . i do have a dell 1440p monitor but i prefer the pq of the oled and the much bigger screen so im hooked up to my lg b9 for now so 60hz to 120hz would be good nt really fussed about anything higher as i just casually play.

currently im playing doom eternal at 1440p most setting at ultra nightmare bar the top two. and seems good. but i deffo need a new gfx that 3gb is bad what i was thinking at the time, it was a quick purchase.
The main limit for your system is the power supply. I wouldn't upgrade your graphics card without upgrading your power supply as well. These nVidia cards are going to be power hungry. So the bare minimum I would recommend is a good quality 650W PSU.
The second limit is the processor. Although higher resolutions put a lot more strain on the graphics card rather than the CPU, the 1600 is not exactly up to date anymore. Upgrade to a Ryzen 5 3600(X) and you should be fine. Even a 3300X should help you out here if you're over budget, although I wouldn't recommend 4 core CPUs anymore for long term use.

Last edited:

gamer82

I was referring to AMD's graphics cards rather than their CPUs. But waiting for their CPUs is also definitely a good idea. You can either get the current ones cheaper, or pay the same for the newer better performing CPUs.

Don't expect a 1600X to run 3200 MHz reliably. The 1000 series is extremely sensitive to memory. Check your motherboard RAM compatibility here. (Source).

What you can also try is using the Ryzen DRAM calculator tool and see if it gives you good results. Always try safe mode first. If you need more help with this, let us know.

The main limit for your system is the power supply. I wouldn't upgrade your graphics card without upgrading your power supply as well. These nVidia cards are going to be power hungry. So the bare minimum I would recommend is a good quality 650W PSU.
The second limit is the processor. Although higher resolutions put a lot more strain on the graphics card rather than the CPU, the 1600 is not exactly up to date anymore. Upgrade to a Ryzen 5 3600(X) and you should be fine. Even a 3300X should help you out here if you're over budget, although I wouldn't recommend 4 core CPUs anymore for long term use.

Thanks , i was going to get a new psu as i had a feeling that wouldn't be good enough anyway so i think i will go for the psu and the probably the 3070 this year and next year when i put more cash away a may just see about a new processor and motherboard and just sell these of for whatetver i can get. thank for the advice. anything back is a bonus lol

mr.dilya

Banned
I have a 2700x and a 2060 6 gb, how long will I be able to game at 1080p and the occasional 1440p at good frame rates for the new gen? I don’t really care much about 4K.

Friends, is there already a good motherboard that will support the new 3090 and PCIe 4.0 SSD?

I'm thinking about building a brand new gaming PC around 3090... would you recommend going with Intel or AMD?

Thanks!

Ascend

Friends, is there already a good motherboard that will support the new 3090 and PCIe 4.0 SSD?

I'm thinking about building a brand new gaming PC around 3090... would you recommend going with Intel or AMD?

Thanks!
Intel has no PCIe 4.0, so Intel is out the window. Any AMD B550 or X570 motherboard will support PCIe 4.0 SSDs. There are some rumors of some B450 and X470 also getting support in the future, but, I wouldn't count on that. So stick to B550/X570.

Note that apparently supplies for the 3090 are going to be even worse than the 2080 Ti was at launch, so, if you want that card, jump on it as soon as possible. I would normally recommend you to wait for Zen 3 CPUs, but it's a good idea to build your system now so you can at least use the 3090, and upgrade the CPU later if necessary. A 3600X or 3700X should be good enough for now.

Malte

Neo Member

Thanks!

What is wrong with the new B550 boards?

Rikkori

Thanks!
What do you already have? Imo the platform selection is kinda meh atm. Intel is strictly faster than AMD but has no PCIe 4.0, and with how powerful the new GPUs are you are absolutely going to run head-first into a CPU bottleneck so going AMD doesn't make a lot of sense either.

I'm sorta in the same situation, I'm on 2011-3 but I'm not convinced of the need for PCIe 4.0 SSDs because a) XSX SSD is not all that fast and you can equal it with 3.0 x4 one; b) games that take advantage of DirectStorage/RTX IO are still 2 years away from release realistically. Likewise, PCIe 4.0 doesn't seem to matter too much even for the GPU as Nvidia themselves chose Intel over AMD and claimed low single digit performance difference in specific scenarios at best.

So, no rush. Waiting for Intel to put out something fast with PCIe 4.0 & DDR5.

replicant-

Right. Opinions, please. Fitting an AIO cooler/radiator.

Do you attach the radiator in the case first then onto the CPU mount or the opposite way around?

00_Zer0

I need several pc gaf members to chime in on my upgrade path. I'm looking to purchase the upcoming new SSDs by either Sabrent or Samsung that run 7gb second, as well as an RTX 3080.

I want to steer clear of buying a new CPU and RAM for this mother board. I want my add ons of the 3080 and new SSD's to be all I change out and spend money on. Otherwise I will just build a new rig with new Ryzen 3 MB, new Ryzen 3 CPU, 7GB sec SSD, faster DDR4 ram 4000 or over, and either the 3080 or Big Navi. If I build a new rig I'll just give last year's build to my son or sell it as it is now or part it out individually for sale.

Here is what I have now:

AMD AMD RYZEN 7 3700X

NZXT KRAKEN X52 LIQUID COOLER

ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB)
288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800)

SAPPHIRE RX5700XT NITRO PLUS 8G DUAL OC
EVGA BQ 750W 80+B SM ATX

Inland Performance 2TB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe Gen 4.0 NVMe 4 x4 3D TCL NAND Internal Solid State Drive, Read/Write Speed up to 5000MB/s and 4300MB/

FRACTAL MESHIFY C TEMPERED GLASS.

I have an LG CX 55 inch already on order for my PC, so the most I will be running this at is 4K120hz. So if I swap out my 5700xt with a 3080 and swap out my old 5GB sec SSD with new 2TB Sabrent 7GB will my CPU or ram be a bottle neck when adding 3080 and faster SSD? Keep in mind I run everything at stock and don't OC anything. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
I need several pc gaf members to chime in on my upgrade path. I'm looking to purchase the upcoming new SSDs by either Sabrent or Samsung that run 7gb second, as well as an RTX 3080.

I want to steer clear of buying a new CPU and RAM for this mother board. I want my add ons of the 3080 and new SSD's to be all I change out and spend money on. Otherwise I will just build a new rig with new Ryzen 3 MB, new Ryzen 3 CPU, 7GB sec SSD, faster DDR4 ram 4000 or over, and either the 3080 or Big Navi. If I build a new rig I'll just give last year's build to my son or sell it as it is now or part it out individually for sale.

Here is what I have now:

AMD AMD RYZEN 7 3700X

EVGA BQ 750W 80+B SM ATX

Inland Performance 2TB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe Gen 4.0 NVMe 4 x4 3D TCL NAND Internal Solid State Drive, Read/Write Speed up to 5000MB/s and 4300MB/

I have an LG CX 55 inch already on order for my PC, so the most I will be running this at is 4K120hz. So if I swap out my 5700xt with a 3080 and swap out my old 5GB sec SSD with new 2TB Sabrent 7GB will my CPU or ram be a bottle neck when adding 3080 and faster SSD? Keep in mind I run everything at stock and don't OC anything. Thanks for the advice.

Add the 3080 is good enough, your PC probably will outplay next gen consoles.

GHG

Gold Member

Do you attach the radiator in the case first then onto the CPU mount or the opposite way around?

When I did mine I did it in the following order:
  1. Motherboard in case
  2. Attach radiator to case
  3. cooling block on CPU
However if I were to do it again I'd switch steps 2 and 3 because of how fiddly it became.

So I'd recommend the following:
  1. Motherboard in case
  2. Cooling block on CPU
  3. Attach radiator to case
It's more important that the cooling block is securely tightened on the CPU than it is the other way round. Do that bit first so that you have no restrictions in terms of moving it around and tightening the screws evenly.

But I will also say it depends on your case, how far your radiator will be from the CPU, how long the hoses are and where in the case you intend to mount the radiator.

I need several pc gaf members to chime in on my upgrade path for the upcoming new SSDs by either Sabrent or Samsung that run 7gb second, as well as a 3080 GTX.

Here is what I have now:

AMD AMD RYZEN 7 3700X

EVGA BQ 750W 80+B SM ATX

No bottlenecks there, especially not at that resolution. You should be good to go.

Thanks!

If it will just be for gaming and you only intend on having one PCIe 4.0 nvme drive then go for a good B550 board.

The Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite is a solid affordable choice with great support for higher end Ryzen CPU's.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Thanks!
If you want PCIE 4.0 you must go with AMD. That settles that argument. Get the X570 MSI Tomahawk.

GHG

Gold Member
Even though I have last year's 5GB PCIE 4.0 SSD will it be a bottle neck and take advantage of the new RTX I/O too?

As long as it's an nvme drive it will be fine.

DirectStorage is designed to scale across various nvme ssd speeds.

00_Zer0

I wonder when reviewers will get their 3xxx series cards? I would like to know which 3080 card will be right for me. Anything like a custom water cooled design will be out of the question as my 3700x CPU is already water cooled by the Kraken x52 and there would be no room in my Meshify C case to accommodate a water cooled card and water cooled cpu. I hear these will go on sale on the 17th, but is there a card maker that will put up a card for preorder before then? I just hope the card I need doesn't sell out before I'm able to get it.

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
Im fuck I have an AURORA R11 case....both the 3080 and the 3090 are too long to fit....The question is will they be smaller version from other vendor or will my only option is to upgrade my 2080ti to a 3070

Have a question regarding NVMe SSD and my motherboard. I have a Z370 AORUS GAMING WIFI (https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/Z370-AORUS-GAMING-WIFI-rev-10/sp#sp) motherboard that has two m.2 slots.

1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 SATA and PCIe x4/x2 SSD support) (M2P_32G)
1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280 PCIe x4/x2 SSD support) (M2Q_32G)

They both support PCIe x4, which I believe is what is needed to take advantage of NVMe speeds. Is this the case? I can have 2 NVMe drives on both these slots with no slowdown on the second slot?

GHG

Gold Member
Have a question regarding NVMe SSD and my motherboard. I have a Z370 AORUS GAMING WIFI (https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/Z370-AORUS-GAMING-WIFI-rev-10/sp#sp) motherboard that has two m.2 slots.

1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 SATA and PCIe x4/x2 SSD support) (M2P_32G)
1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280 PCIe x4/x2 SSD support) (M2Q_32G)

They both support PCIe x4, which I believe is what is needed to take advantage of NVMe speeds. Is this the case? I can have 2 NVMe drives on both these slots with no slowdown on the second slot?

This is the bit to note from your motherboard spec sheet:

The PCIEX4 slot shares bandwidth with the M2Q_32G connector. The PCIEX4 slot becomes unavailable when an SSD is installed in the M2Q_32G connector.

As long as you're not populating one of the pcie expansion slots under your graphics card with a sound card or capture card or something then there shouldn't be any problems.

You will need to stick to pcie gen 3 SSD's though.

Hostile_18

Banned
When I did mine I did it in the following order:
  1. Motherboard in case
  2. Attach radiator to case
  3. cooling block on CPU
However if I were to do it again I'd switch steps 2 and 3 because of how fiddly it became.

So I'd recommend the following:
  1. Motherboard in case
  2. Cooling block on CPU
  3. Attach radiator to case
It's more important that the cooling block is securely tightened on the CPU than it is the other way round. Do that bit first so that you have no restrictions in terms of moving it around and tightening the screws evenly.

But I will also say it depends on your case, how far your radiator will be from the CPU, how long the hoses are and where in the case you intend to mount the radiator.

No bottlenecks there, especially not at that resolution. You should be good to go.

If it will just be for gaming and you only intend on having one PCIe 4.0 nvme drive then go for a good B550 board.

The Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite is a solid affordable choice with great support for higher end Ryzen CPU's.

One thing to note with the motherboard is it "only" supports up to 6.5 GBS.

TrackZ

I think this is my intended 3000 series build.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xXCY4n

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700 2.9 GHz 8-Core Processor ($304.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright AXP-100 Full Copper CPU Cooler ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z490I AORUS ULTRA Mini ITX LGA1200 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket Q 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($191.98 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM 55.44 CFM 120 mm Fan ($19.95 @ Amazon)
Custom: GTX 3080 ($699.99)
Custom: Sliger CL520 ($179.00)
Total: $2055.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-03 14:56 EDT-0400

I'm also looking at a 3090/i9/4TB SSD build, but that's like $3,500. I'm not sure it's worth going that far. I'll be playing on a Sony 85" X900H and looking for 4k/60 or 4k/120 max'ed with HDMI 2.1 VRR.

00_Zer0

Full disclosure. I accidently posted this in the 30 Series OT thread when I meant this post to be here.

I need help with finding out if one of the RTX 3080 cards will fit in my rig. I am definitely not getting a 3070 and not going for a 3090 because of the sheer size of it.

My rig has an Asus Tuf x570 gaming plus board in it. My case is a Meshify C which holds cards up to 315MM. Right now my rig has a Sapphire Nitro plus 5700 XT card in it. It is a 2.3 slot card even though my PC only has two PCI slots. Above my graphics card is an NVMe with heat sink and below my card you can see an unused slot, then under that slot you see another NVMe SSD with a heat sink. Here is a picture for reference:

Zs7zzoX.jpg

I'm wondering if one of these RTX 3080 will interfere with anything since most are 3 slot cards or close to it? I know that cards can hang over so far but it looks like if I get too big of a card it might not fit because of the NVMe being used directly below the unused slot. Does anybody have a guide of how many slots some of the 3080 RTX take up? Since my card takes up 2.3 slots as seen in the picture above do you think I can fit a 3 slot card in here?

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

Full disclosure. I accidently posted this in the 30 Series OT thread when I meant this post to be here.

I need help with finding out if one of the RTX 3080 cards will fit in my rig. I am definitely not getting a 3070 and not going for a 3090 because of the sheer size of it.

My rig has an Asus Tuf x570 gaming plus board in it. My case is a Meshify C which holds cards up to 315MM. Right now my rig has a Sapphire Nitro plus 5700 XT card in it. It is a 2.3 slot card even though my PC only has two PCI slots. Above my graphics card is an NVMe with heat sink and below my card you can see an unused slot, then under that slot you see another NVMe SSD with a heat sink. Here is a picture for reference:

Zs7zzoX.jpg

I'm wondering if one of these RTX 3080 will interfere with anything since most are 3 slot cards or close to it? I know that cards can hang over so far but it looks like if I get too big of a card it might not fit because of the NVMe being used directly below the unused slot. Does anybody have a guide of how many slots some of the 3080 RTX take up? Since my card takes up 2.3 slots as seen in the picture above do you think I can fit a 3 slot card in here?
You'll be fine. On Nvidia's website it says the 3080 is 285mm

00_Zer0

You'll be fine. On Nvidia's website it says the 3080 is 285mm

Thanks for the info. I really want one of the founders edition cards. I just hope I don't miss out on getting it on the 17th. It looks so sleek! I see that it takes up 2 slots too so I should be fine all the way around then.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

Thanks for the info. I really want one of the founder edition cards. I just hope I don't miss out on getting it on the 17th. It looks so sleek! I see that it takes up 2 slots too so I should be fine all the way around then.
No problem! I hope that you will be able to grab one. The founders card looks really nice, too. Before I ultimately decide what I'm going to purchase, I'm going to sit tight for the Big Navi reveal.

McHuj

ok. I need some advice mainly on motherboards. Has any manufacturer confirmed that they 570 boards will be compatible with upcoming Zen3 CPUs?

I thinking of upgrading my MB/CPU when the RTX 3080 comes out. Currently I have a Z170/6700K gaming CPU and a broken Ryzen 2600 PC (either MB or PSU, haven't diagnosed yet fully). But the breakdown of the Ryzen build gives me the opportunity to upgrade my gaming rig.

My thinking right now, buy new MB and RAM that can support Zen3, but use the 2600 as the CPU until Zen3 CPU's ship. Then sell the 2600 CPU when I can get a 4800x/.4900x level CPU. (I'll move my 6700k to the other PC which is mainly used for web browsing and school work.)

I haven't paid attention to which MB's are good lately. I've always gone with MSI or Gigabyte. And that's what I'll probably shoot for when I get the 3080.

GreatnessRD

ok. I need some advice mainly on motherboards. Has any manufacturer confirmed that they 570 boards will be compatible with upcoming Zen3 CPUs?

I thinking of upgrading my MB/CPU when the RTX 3080 comes out. Currently I have a Z170/6700K gaming CPU and a broken Ryzen 2600 PC (either MB or PSU, haven't diagnosed yet fully). But the breakdown of the Ryzen build gives me the opportunity to upgrade my gaming rig.

My thinking right now, buy new MB and RAM that can support Zen3, but use the 2600 as the CPU until Zen3 CPU's ship. Then sell the 2600 CPU when I can get a 4800x/.4900x level CPU. (I'll move my 6700k to the other PC which is mainly used for web browsing and school work.)

I haven't paid attention to which MB's are good lately. I've always gone with MSI or Gigabyte. And that's what I'll probably shoot for when I get the 3080.
All X570 and B550 boards will be compatible with Zen3 CPUs.

Only some B470 and B450 will be compatible through the manufacturer with beta bios. I'm hoping ASUS will have a beta bios for my B450, but I'm pretty sure they will not. Didn't want to upgrade my motherboard until AM5, but we'll see.

DeaDPo0L84

I have been out of the TV game for quite some time. I have a question for those more in the know with current TV technology. I have my PC on a desk in the living room about 15-20ft from the tv. My perfect solution would be to leave everything where it stands and have my PC hooked up to a TV and be able to play a game on there if i'm in the mood for that experience versus a monitor. The only reason I am even thinking about this now is cause the new cards are hdmi 2.1, I would want to play @ 1440p/120hz, is that possible on newer tvs or are they somehow coded to strictly do 4k/120hz on hdmi 2.1?

Do we all agree that, even if I upgrade around the end of the year (or early 2021), as long as I keep my old 1080p/80Hz monitor I'd have absolutely no use for those new fancy RTX 30xx? Even a potential 3060 feels like it'd be totally overkill...

longdi

Banned
Do we all agree that, even if I upgrade around the end of the year (or early 2021), as long as I keep my old 1080p/80Hz monitor I'd have absolutely no use for those new fancy RTX 30xx? Even a potential 3060 feels like it'd be totally overkill...

depends on what you are upgrading from?

even at 1080p/80hz(?), new gpu will make your games really smooth, unless your cpu is really the old suck?

depends on what you are upgrading from?

even at 1080p/80hz(?), new gpu will make your games really smooth, unless your cpu is really the old suck?
Well my current system was built in 2014, so... yeah. It's an i5-4440.
This is pretty much a moot point anyway, since if I upgrade I'll definitely make something new entirely from scratch.

GHG

Gold Member
I have been out of the TV game for quite some time. I have a question for those more in the know with current TV technology. I have my PC on a desk in the living room about 15-20ft from the tv. My perfect solution would be to leave everything where it stands and have my PC hooked up to a TV and be able to play a game on there if i'm in the mood for that experience versus a monitor. The only reason I am even thinking about this now is cause the new cards are hdmi 2.1, I would want to play @ 1440p/120hz, is that possible on newer tvs or are they somehow coded to strictly do 4k/120hz on hdmi 2.1?

1440p @ 120hz is also possible on certain model of TV's even without HDMI 2.1. You just need to make sure the TV can do true 120hz @ 1440p. As an example some of the Samsung NU series and Q series TV's will do what you're asking and they are not HDMI 2.1.

If you're unsure check the rtings review of the TV you're looking at - look at the "supported resolution section" and ensure "native" appears next to 1440p @ 120hz.

Max_Po

Banned
Hey guys, I am in Canada and would like to get RTX 3080 on launch..in preparation for CyberPunk 2077 ofcourse. I have never purchased a GPU at launch...

Can anyone advise and answer some of my questions?

1. How do people get those founder's Edition cards in Canada? I am not interested in RGB nonsense cards.
2. are they (as in the RTX from Nvidia) available in limited numbers ?
3. Are they easy to buy or are nerds hitting F5 with both hands?

Thanks

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

1440p @ 120hz is also possible on certain model of TV's even without HDMI 2.1. You just need to make sure the TV can do true 120hz @ 1440p. As an example some of the Samsung NU series and Q series TV's will do what you're asking and they are not HDMI 2.1.

If you're unsure check the rtings review of the TV you're looking at - look at the "supported resolution section" and ensure "native" appears next to 1440p @ 120hz.

Thanks for the info, that'll make it easier to compare TVs. There was one aspect I forgot to mention which was g-sync,I remember reading that certain TVs will start supporting the feature but it may be for older versions of the feature and not for say the 3000 series moving forward.

GHG

Gold Member
Thanks for the info, that'll make it easier to compare TVs. There was one aspect I forgot to mention which was g-sync,I remember reading that certain TVs will start supporting the feature but it may be for older versions of the feature and not for say the 3000 series moving forward.

Nvidia have opened up support for gsync on freesync compatible displays as long as you have a 10 series GPU or newer. You will need to check on a case by case basis dependant on the TV you are considering because while it works on most freesync displays, it's not official support.

FWIW I can enable gsync on my Samsung Q70r and it does work.

DeaDPo0L84

Nvidia have opened up support for gsync on freesync compatible displays as long as you have a 10 series GPU or newer. You will need to check on a case by case basis dependant on the TV you are considering because while it works on most freesync displays, it's not official support.

FWIW I can enable gsync on my Samsung Q70r and it does work.

Dang really? Did you have to go through some additional steps or was it pretty seamless?

Nfactor_AF

Neo Member
Should I upgrade to an RTX 3090?

My System:
Case: Corsair 540 Air Carbide
Case Fans: (Front) 3x Corsair SP120 120mm / (Top) 2x Corsair ML 140mm Pro RGB / (Back) 1x Corsair ML 140mm Pro RGB
PSU: Antec 850W 80 Platinum Plus / Fully Modular
Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master
CPU: Intel i9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz All Core
CPU Cooler: Noctua D15 Chromax w/ 2x140mm Noctua Fans
Ram: GSkill Trident Z-Neo DDR4-3600 CL 16 4x16Gb - 64Gb Total
GPU: Gigabyte 8C Gaming RTX 2070 8Gb
Storage: (Windows Drive) Samsung 960 EVO 500Gb / (Game Drive) Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb / (Archive/Misc) Toshiba 5Tb 7200RPM HDD

I'm pretty sure I have the room and power for the RTX 3090, just getting a second opinion. I'm planning on also purchasing a 4K high refresh monitor like the forthcoming ASUS ROG Swift PG32UQX. I'm hoping Asus will have it out by Q4 2020.

Gamers Nexus did an in depth video on this. [basically radiator has to be above the pump and tubes coming out of the pump at the bottom for most effective flow]

11m50s correct positioning

GHG

Gold Member
Dang really? Did you have to go through some additional steps or was it pretty seamless?

Nothing too special, just have the TV set up with both game mode and input signal plus enabled and then set freesync to ultimate or basic dependant on the game (some games have strange flickering issues with it set to ultimate).

Oh and I'm using a displayport to HDMI cable. You won't be able to enable gsync at all if you don't use displayport with this TV.

It's not perfect (have to switch from ultimate to basic some times) but it's more than good enough for me and its been a nice bonus because I didn't get this TV thinking it would be gsync compatible, so it was a nice surprise after upgrading to a 2070 super earlier this year. If you want it to be absolutely perfect then I'd suggest getting a gsync certified TV or going with an AMD graphics card.

Should I upgrade to an RTX 3090?

My System:
Case: Corsair 540 Air Carbide
Case Fans: (Front) 3x Corsair SP120 120mm / (Top) 2x Corsair ML 140mm Pro RGB / (Back) 1x Corsair ML 140mm Pro RGB
PSU: Antec 850W 80 Platinum Plus / Fully Modular
Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master
CPU: Intel i9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz All Core
CPU Cooler: Noctua D15 Chromax w/ 2x140mm Noctua Fans
Ram: GSkill Trident Z-Neo DDR4-3600 CL 16 4x16Gb - 64Gb Total
GPU: Gigabyte 8C Gaming RTX 2070 8Gb
Storage: (Windows Drive) Samsung 960 EVO 500Gb / (Game Drive) Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb / (Archive/Misc) Toshiba 5Tb 7200RPM HDD

I'm pretty sure I have the room and power for the RTX 3090, just getting a second opinion. I'm planning on also purchasing a 4K high refresh monitor like the forthcoming ASUS ROG Swift PG32UQX. I'm hoping Asus will have it out by Q4 2020.

You shouldn't have any issues, go for it if you want.

I just moved all my equipment to a new MSI case. It has RGB fans and off of the fan board is this connection. Anyone know what it's for?

1BXXwzl.jpg

The other end of it:

AjKnfX5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom