• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2020. Ray Tracing. 120Hz-360Hz. Next-Gen Already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadayi

Banned
Many people told me that my xfx 550w bronze is more than enough for my system (2070 super\8600k both stock), but i had some people telling me that is not nearly enough and can cause problems...other people just told me that a psu is not something that can work bad, or it work or it doesn't, no middle option.

Maybe someone can clarify this situation for me...

I have to buy a 750w anyway for the next gpu upgrade, but i don't know when this is gonna happen, probably in a couple of months and i usually wait for big occasion to buy pc parts, but if a bigger psu can help my system now (cyberpunk is close) then i can buy one without waiting for a big occasion.

Honestly depends on your power draw across the entire system. it's no good just working on the basis of CPU & GPU if you have a bunch of HDDs SSDs and peripherals (DVD/BlLu-Ray Drive, System Fans, Backup Driver, VR Headset, etc etc) also needing juice.

Honestly, a 550w sounds a little flimsy unless you're running a barebones system to me. Still, figure out what you've got going on and use this site to get a more accurate determination as to your power needs: -

Last edited:
i remember the fluctuatuing electricity in my room caused my psu to literally explode back in 2014............thankfully every other component was safe.................had to buy a new XIGMATIC TAURO bronze certified 550w psu
A good power supply should ideally fry and kill only itself. And in my experience, most of the ones I've bought and ones I've used in professional capacities typically do that. The best setup really anyone could have would be a UPS powering the entire PC. So if power does fluctuate it'll typically just go out and the UPS won't be damaged and give you time to shut your PC down and unplug everything. I don't have a UPS, only used them for big radio racks at work years ago, but at my home, if we have a threat of a big storm sometimes you can see the lights flickering and realize power is surging. Good time to shut everything down.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
A good power supply should ideally fry and kill only itself. And in my experience, most of the ones I've bought and ones I've used in professional capacities typically do that. The best setup really anyone could have would be a UPS powering the entire PC. So if power does fluctuate it'll typically just go out and the UPS won't be damaged and give you time to shut your PC down and unplug everything. I don't have a UPS, only used them for big radio racks at work years ago, but at my home, if we have a threat of a big storm sometimes you can see the lights flickering and realize power is surging. Good time to shut everything down.
yeah even i dont have a UPS but since that incident i got a stabimatic / stabilizer and that is connected to the wall socket.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Any recommendations for a mini ITX x570 board? Using it with a Zen 3 and Samsung 980.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
how about some Halloween clock tower theme?!

oYwsAgb.jpg

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Which zen3 chip? X570 is usually going to produce more heat overall than B550 which is an important factor for SFF builds.
Probably going to get a 5900X.

I picked up an Asus B550-i. It has a front USB C header, one PCIE 4.0 slot for my Samsung 980. Seems ok?

PhoenixTank

Probably going to get a 5900X.

I picked up an Asus B550-i. It has a front USB C header, one PCIE 4.0 slot for my Samsung 980. Seems ok?
US based? Asus Strix B550i is at a weird pricepoint there - The Asus Strix X570 is only a little more money and a better choice overall with much more efficient VRM setup.
I know that is basically contrary to what I said before, but it comes down the to the Asus B550i being way overpriced compared to the competition to the point where it encroaches on X570 territory.
The X570 does lack a USB-C header, but has it at the back as well as many more classic USBs. I guess case choice is highly relevant here.
I'd go for that X570 or a cheaper B550 ITX but I don't know how much of a pain exchange would be for you. Nothing should go horribly wrong with the one you chose, though. Really the B450 ITX boards where you need to take care with 12+cores.

Last edited:

Bboy AJ

US based? Asus Strix B550i is at a weird pricepoint there - The Asus Strix X570 is only a little more money and a better choice overall with much more efficient VRM setup.
I know that is basically contrary to what I said before, but it comes down the to the Asus B550i being way overpriced compared to the competition to the point where it encroaches on X570 territory.
The X570 does lack a USB-C header, but has it at the back as well as many more classic USBs. I guess case choice is highly relevant here.
I'd go for that X570 or a cheaper B550 ITX but I don't know how much of a pain exchange would be for you. Nothing should go horribly wrong with the one you chose, though. Really the B450 ITX boards where you need to take care with 12+cores.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, US based. I actually did plan on getting an X570 but the USB-C header is important to me as my Ncase M1 has the front port. I'm happy to swap out this Asus B550i for a miniITX X570 that has a USB-C front header.

Feels like every motherboard I want has some sort of compromise. With the B550i, you're right in that its VRM setup isn't as nice.

PhoenixTank

Thanks for the reply. Yes, US based. I actually did plan on getting an X570 but the USB-C header is important to me as my Ncase M1 has the front port. I'm happy to swap out this Asus B550i for a miniITX X570 that has a USB-C front header.

Feels like every motherboard I want has some sort of compromise. With the B550i, you're right in that its VRM setup isn't as nice.
Mini ITX builds:

Sadly so few boards and compromise is already the name of the game with this sort of size.

I know the MSI B550i has a USB-C header but also has the clear CMOS out of reach without removing the entire board. May be a deal-breaker depending on what you're going for. The "max" version fixes this but I haven't actually seen it anywhere for sale yet.

After another look at the handful of other boards what you've got probably is your best option for what you want.

Darkone

What's your budget and general requirements (what will you be using the machine for)?

Gaming mostly and daily use.
budget is 300-350$ max.

I never did any OC in the past, so I don`t think i will do it now but if I can squeeze it with the budget then what the hell.

GHG

Gaming mostly and daily use.
budget is 300-350$ max.

I never did any OC in the past, so I don`t think i will do it now but if I can squeeze it with the budget then what the hell.

Typically Ryzen CPU's don't OC tremendously well and even if you did OC the benefit to gaming (assuming you're ate 1440p and above) will be minimal.

For that money these are the best you can get:

I have the x570 unify and it's been great, no complaints at all.

Be wary of the Aorus Master though, I'm not sure if Gigabyte have issued a bios update/fix but a few months ago there were reports of multiple boards not posting anymore inexplicably despite previously running for months without any issues.

Darkone

Typically Ryzen CPU's don't OC tremendously well and even if you did OC the benefit to gaming (assuming you're ate 1440p and above) will be minimal.

For that money these are the best you can get:

I have the x570 unify and it's been great, no complaints at all.

Be wary of the Aorus Master though, I'm not sure if Gigabyte have issued a bios update/fix but a few months ago there were reports of multiple boards not posting anymore inexplicably despite previously running for months without any issues.

what's the best bet to secure a Zen 3 processor tonight or tomorrow? Considering Best Buy in person or Newegg; I haven't ever tried to buy a CPU on release day so not much experience here.

DarkestHour

Banned
🤦

Coincidentally it will be my first time wanting a cpu on launch day. I want a 5800 and a 5600 actually.

I signed up on AMDs website for an email pre-order alert but I'm starting to think it won't happen.

I'm in the same boat. I don't need it, but I'm bored out of my mind and want to build a new PC. Want to just walk in to MicroCenter on Friday or Saturday and pick a processor up.

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
I'm in the same boat. I don't need it, but I'm bored out of my mind and want to build a new PC. Want to just walk in to MicroCenter on Friday or Saturday and pick a processor up.

I don't have a microcenter so I'll be walking into my best buy when they open tomorrow. As far as I know the release date is still the 5th. Good luck.

mr.dilya

Banned
Can I run DDU while not in safe mode? I am unable to boot into safe mode because my password isn’t working and I don’t feel like fussing with that. Or is uninstalling gpu drivers using device management in windows good enough?

🤦

Coincidentally it will be my first time wanting a cpu on launch day.

Same boat here. I have no experience with CPUs on launch day. The nightmare that was the 30xx launch has me shaking in my boots. I hope it's nowhere near as bad, but my gut says otherwise. =_=

Edit: I've already bought all my other parts, so it wouldn't surprise me if something goes horribly wrong with this launch. I've set myself up for a real ball ache this time, I think.

Can I run DDU while not in safe mode? I am unable to boot into safe mode because my password isn’t working and I don’t feel like fussing with that. Or is uninstalling gpu drivers using device management in windows good enough?

I usually do and haven't had anything bad happen that I'm aware of.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

Couldn't grab a 5950x. "wE gOt bOT prOTeCtIon"

db9todp-d6e59fda-3459-4e4f-97b0-7d764ea460d1.jpg
Does seem to be a low quantity of 5950X available vs the other parts - Really depends on restocks now I suppose. With the 3950X it was short for a couple of weeks, I think, then flowed in.
I wish you the best of luck.

Guys, I grabbed a Ryzen 5800x , now I’m torn between based B550 or x570 mobo, which chipset is better?
It really depends what you want - both perform about the same in games AFAIK. X570 has PCIE4 on all slots and generally more IO available. B550 only has PCIE4 for one x16 slot and usually for one m.2 slot as well, but is cheaper. There is overlap in cost between high end B550 & mid range X570, though.

More info than you ever probably wanted to know but:

Last edited:

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
So waiting at best buy didn't pan out but I refreshed best buys website after getting home for about an hour and managed to snag what I wanted. A 5800x and a 5600x.

Hope you guys have luck.

GHG

Couldn't grab a 5950x. "wE gOt bOT prOTeCtIon"

db9todp-d6e59fda-3459-4e4f-97b0-7d764ea460d1.jpg

What processor are you currently on?

If you've got a 3000 series Ryzen and game at 1440p or above you should be good for a while to be honest.

Just get one stress free later this year or early next year once the initial hype dies down.

Last edited:

dave_d

So waiting at best buy didn't pan out but I refreshed best buys website after getting home for about an hour and managed to snag what I wanted. A 5800x and a 5600x.

Hope you guys have luck.
Wow, guess I should just keep at the best buy web site and see if I can get a 5600x. (And return the 3800xt and cooler if that works out.) Damn, I'm hoping I have less trouble getting the video card.

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
Wow, guess I should just keep at the best buy web site and see if I can get a 5600x. (And return the 3800xt and cooler if that works out.) Damn, I'm hoping I have less trouble getting the video card.

Stranger things have happened 🤷 it's also how I got my ps5 preorder in the night they went up.

Mista

Banned
Does seem to be a low quantity of 5950X available vs the other parts - Really depends on restocks now I suppose. With the 3950X it was short for a couple of weeks, I think, then flowed in.
I wish you the best of luck.
Hoping they won't be like Nvidia. But again, this covid prick is screwing everybody

Thanks a lot mate <3
What processor are you currently on?

If you've got a 3000 series Ryzen and game at 1440p or above you should be good for a while to be honest.

Just get one stress free later this year or early next year once the initial hype dies down.
I am actually alright brother. Got a 3900x but planning to give it to the lady since I made her ascend

Thats why I wanna get the 5950x

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Need a little help guys.
I got a 5600x processor and now deciding on the mobo. Should I get a X570 or B550? Here in my country there is around 20% price difference between these two (B550 is cheaper, comparing Gigabyte Aorus Elite in both). Will both of these support the Smart Access Memory (SAM) feature of I get an AMD 6800XT? What are the benefits of X570 over B550 and are they worth a 20% price difference. Please note that I dont plan to overclock my CPU but want a good robust build.

Starfield

Well...gues I have to upgrade my motherbaord again, otherwise I won't be able to install the new SSD's that are coming out.

My Prime Z370-a unfortunately doesn't support PCLE 4.0 so I'll have to look for a new one.

any ATX recommendations?

Mista

Banned
Need a little help guys.
I got a 5600x processor and now deciding on the mobo. Should I get a X570 or B550? Here in my country there is around 20% price difference between these two (B550 is cheaper, comparing Gigabyte Aorus Elite in both). Will both of these support the Smart Access Memory (SAM) feature of I get an AMD 6800XT? What are the benefits of X570 over B550 and are they worth a 20% price difference. Please note that I dont plan to overclock my CPU but want a good robust build.
Well...gues I have to upgrade my motherbaord again, otherwise I won't be able to install the new SSD's that are coming out.

My Prime Z370-a unfortunately doesn't support PCLE 4.0 so I'll have to look for a new one.

any ATX recommendations?
Out of experience I say either go with B550 or X570. If I had to pick I’ll go with X570 which is my current mobo. Solid mobo, no issues at all and the bios is simple and easy to deal with.

Starfield

Out of experience I say either go with B550 or X570. If I had to pick I’ll go with X570 which is my current mobo. Solid mobo, no issues at all and the bios is simple and easy to deal with.
isnt that socket only for AMD cpus?

im lookig for a good intel mobo

Last edited:

Starfield

If you want something for now and the future then sure. If you want something cheap then there’s plenty
idk how a 380€ mobo can be for the future. I thought the same two years ago with my asus prime. Well it has only pcle 3.0 so im fucked

McHuj

Never did I think that I would spend this much on PC this year, but then covid came and all my vacation plans got cancelled and I've spent money on nothing else.

Here's my latest build:
bBHSnBe.jpg

1. Asus TUF 3080
2. Ryzen 5950x
3. Asus ROG Strix B550-F MB
4. 64GB G Skill DDR4 3600MHz
5. 2TB M.2 Sabre SSD (PCIE 3.0 for now) + 2TB off a mix and match of SSD's for media that I'v accumulated over the years.
6. Noctua DH15S cooler
7. Phanteks P500A case
8. 750W Seasonic Gold PSU

I can't believe how much better Warzone plays at 1440p/100+ fps.

(Gotta fix that GPU sag ...)

Mista

Banned
Never did I think that I would spend this much on PC this year, but then covid came and all my vacation plans got cancelled and I've spent money on nothing else.

Here's my latest build:
bBHSnBe.jpg

1. Asus TUF 3080
2. Ryzen 5950x
3. Asus ROG Strix B550-F MB
4. 64GB G Skill DDR4 3600MHz
5. 2TB M.2 Sabre SSD (PCIE 3.0 for now) + 2TB off a mix and match of SSD's for media that I'v accumulated over the years.
6. Noctua DH15S cooler
7. Phanteks P500A case
8. 750W Seasonic Gold PSU

I can't believe how much better Warzone plays at 1440p/100+ fps.

(Gotta fix that GPU sag ...)
Congratulations mate. Thats a beautiful build right there

I haven't seen so much PC's get built in my entire life but during covid? ooofffff

Enjoy it!

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
I've got a question though I think I know what the answer will be, just curious what you all think.

I have 2 processors and I'm working on two builds.

Goals are 1: a pc that is used mostly for emulation of Wii and earlier titles with some modern games at high settings on a 4k screen. Goal is 60 fps 4k, willing to sacrifice settings to hit it.

And 2: a pc that is mostly used for gamepass at highest possible quality settings at 60-120fps at 1080p.

I have a 5600x and a 5800x. I have a 1070 and will be buying a new radeon gpu. Probably a 6800 or 6800xt. Willing to buy another lower end gpu if I must so don't dwell too much on the 1070. Maybe a 2070 or 3060.

Which cpu would you pair with which gpu for which build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom