• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2021. Sold Out Edition.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I've been using these since 2012 and really like them: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001S14DYO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm not sure how the euro converts to dollars but I'd recommend these if you can fit them into your budget. I really like the aux-in on the front too... I use that so that I can have my PC and a console hooked up to them at the same time.
Yeah thank you I was looking at these something that won’t affect you but the nobs in charge of that thing called the European Union decided that they had to put a limiter on the sound so if these speakers don’t detect any music or sound they go into auto standby after a few mins and from the reviews it seems there’s 3 to 4 second delay of you pressing play and the music / sound actually coming through and with no way to turn that off. Thanks Europe.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
Yeah thank you I was looking at these something that won’t affect you but the nobs in charge of that thing called the European Union decided that they had to put a limiter on the sound so if these speakers don’t detect any music or sound they go into auto standby after a few mins and from the reviews it seems there’s 3 to 4 second delay of you pressing play and the music / sound actually coming through and with no way to turn that off. Thanks Europe.
Lol

Velius

Banned
Holy shit you guys rock. I LOVE you.

One question... I'd like to work a case like the ones they have at DigitalStorm, but I don't know where they get all that piping for water cooling. Any tips?

Captn

Hello my fine connoisseurs...

First of all, mods please merge this thread if something similar exist as a thread somewhere. I have to admit, I did not search.

My question is pretty simple and maybe some of you have a similar setup that could help me decide on how to set this up.

I just bought the Lian-LI XL full tower.

I am switching from the 3950x to the 5950x using my same board, MSI Meg Ace X570.

I also bought a 360 rad AIO to go with this and 6 Noctua fans 120mm.

I have a single Corsair ML 120 or 140 cant remember that goes on the back side and unfortunately I have a 200mm Noctua that I probably wont be able to install in this new case.

Now, what would be the best push/pull setup to maximize the airflow and keep decent temps at the same time ?

Also, I have the 3090 which I am not sure if it is relevant to the setup I need, unless it would be better for it to be installed sideways instead of the usual flat horizontal way ?

Yes I can look at youtube videos and all and there is a shitload of them but I rather have a direct opinion of someone in here that actually has a similar setup or very good knowledge about it.

Room temps are a steady 20-21 degrees celcius and the case is on a 3 foot high square hard wooden table.

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
going to move this to teh build a gaming pc thread.

Can you post a pic of teh case internal?

Last edited:

Captn

going to move this to teh build a gaming pc thread.

Can you post a pic of teh case internal?

thank you for putting this in the right thread

Here is my case :)

You have a few angle pics on the page that might give you a good idea.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
So you are running liquid cooling on your CPU? And you are just asking about case temps for the other components then like GPU and ?

Honestly this case is huge. Ive built plenty of PCs and I always found the technical push pull discussions a bit overblown. Just have plenty of air in and out and you should be fine. So I will leave this for someone else to chime in.

Captn

So you are running liquid cooling on your CPU? And you are just asking about case temps for the other components then like GPU and ?

Honestly this case is huge. Ive built plenty of PCs and I always found the technical push pull discussions a bit overblown. Just have plenty of air in and out and you should be fine. So I will leave this for someone else to chime in.

Basically I know that my rad on top will pull and push out the top...My question is more about the 6 fans I will be putting in. I am guessing that the bottom 3 will intake air from the bottom of the case but the 3 other ones that I will put on the internal right side panel vertically is more the issue.

Should they also be in taking air from the outside ? Probably...Which leaves me with the top going out and the rear fan also going out.

The gpu might not have any impact but I asked just in case it might have since I never had a gpu sideways.

Anyhow, thanks

clem84

Gold Member
I'm building a PC for a DAW. It will be used for Reaper and a few drum plug-ins. This PC might also be used at a later time to stream, at the same time the DAW and the audio plug-ins are being used. So I don't really need a powerful GPU, but everything else needs to be decently powerful. Basically it comes down to a fast CPU, 24-32GB of fast RAM, and a 1TB SSD.

I'm wondering if this is a good time to build such a PC. I heard somewhere else that at the moment, CPUs are ok to buy but everything else is overpriced. Would you say this is true?

Azzurri

Full Build

eVGA 3090 FTW Ultra
AMD 5950x
Asus X570 Prime-Pro (white)
Phanteks RevoltX 1k PSU
Phanteks Eclipse P500A (white Case)
Lian Li Galahad AIO 360 RGB (White)
G. Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB PC3600 CAS16
Lian Li 120 UNIFAN 3 pack X2
2x WD Black 2TB SN850 Gen4 PCIe NVME

Debating if I want to pick up the LG CX48" now or wait for the C1 which is the 2021 version.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Full Build

eVGA 3090 FTW Ultra
AMD 5950x
Phanteks RevoltX 1k PSU

Debating if I want to pick up the LG CX48" now or wait for the C1 which is the 2021 version.

..And the point of this post was what?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I'm building a PC for a DAW. It will be used for Reaper and a few drum plug-ins. This PC might also be used at a later time to stream, at the same time the DAW and the audio plug-ins are being used. So I don't really need a powerful GPU, but everything else needs to be decently powerful. Basically it comes down to a fast CPU, 24-32GB of fast RAM, and a 1TB SSD.

I'm wondering if this is a good time to build such a PC. I heard somewhere else that at the moment, CPUs are ok to buy but everything else is overpriced. Would you say this is true?
you could easily put together a PC right now but getting hold of a GPU will be the hardest part.

for RAM i'd be looking at 32-64GB. depends how serious you are gonna get. 24GB really isn't an option anyway.

..And the point of this post was what?
maybe they want feedback/advice?

what was the point of your post? it's not helping anyone out.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Not at all, my 9900K, 32GB rig is fine as it is thank you very much, but if the guy just wants to flex post his way to more e-peen, there are threads for that kind of thing. This isn't what this thread is for.
not as good as their 5950X, 32GB, 3090 though is it?

i know it's not but we don't know if they want advice/feedback. how about you wait and see before having a go?
Full Build

eVGA 3090 FTW Ultra
AMD 5950x
Phanteks RevoltX 1k PSU

i have a CX and it's a great TV but there is an issue with the gamma/variable refresh rate. it's apparently a hardware issue on all OLED panels and we don't know if LG will be able to fix it in the C1 models (need to wait and see). they apparently were gonna put out a software update that improved it (but not fix...again it's hardware).

the thing is for some people it's noticeable and for others they don't notice a thing. i have had no issues playing with variable refresh rate on my CX. it's a great TV but if you can hold off another few months then may be best to wait for the C1.

Last edited:

Azzurri

not as good as their 5950X, 32GB, 3090 though is it?

i know it's not but we don't know if they want advice/feedback. how about you wait and see before having a go?

i have a CX and it's a great TV but there is an issue with the gamma/variable refresh rate. it's apparently a hardware issue on all OLED panels and we don't know if LG will be able to fix it in the C1 models (need to wait and see). they apparently were gonna put out a software update that improved it (but not fix...again it's hardware).

the thing is for some people it's noticeable and for others they don't notice a thing. i have had no issues playing with variable refresh rate on my CX. it's a great TV but if you can hold off another few months then may be best to wait for the C1.

I think I'm going to hold out until April when they hit the market. I mean it's it only a month or so off.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I think I'm going to hold out until April when they hit the market. I mean it's it only a month or so off.
Isn't this the thread to post your builds? If not my bad. I mean almost everyone in here does it?

Btw, I posted this because it nearly took me 4 months to put this together because of the component shortage on EVRYTHING so I wanted to share my build that I finally can now put together.

the thread is mainly for people looking to build a pc and to ask for advice but there's no harm in sharing your complete build :) sounds like a beast of a machine you got any photos???

as for the TV yeah i think that's a good safe choice. you should probably know that LG is gonna be working on 42" OLED panels and even OLED panels at sizes between 20-30". this doesn't mean LG are gonna release a 20, 30, 42" TV. it's just that they are making it so someone like Asus, Acer, Dell, etc could buy these panels from LG for use in their own products. it's quite possible that we will be seeing OLED monitors at some point. it's just something to keep in mind :)

Captn

Full Build

eVGA 3090 FTW Ultra
AMD 5950x
Phanteks RevoltX 1k PSU

Hey.. Great setup! Kinda like mine.. Same cpu.. Same GPU.. Same ram model minus the Neo / same amount of ram except I have the PC3000 CL14 running @ 3600.

Anyways.. I have the CX48 and it's an amazing tv except I have some issues with flickering blacks in certain situations.. Games.. But it's not that bad and certainly does not make me regret the purchase.. Every time I turn it on I smile automatically on how nice it looks.. I've had it for 4 months.

So yeah might be better to wait a bit and see and if these issues remain on newer models.. If so I suggest you look into deals for the CX whatever size you wish weather it be 48..55..65 or 77"

For me 48 was perfect as it's hooked up on the wall and sitting around 3 and a half feet aways on keyboard / mouse is perfect and if I want to chill with the controller I back up 2 feet or so! Perfect!

Good luck with your future purchase.

Cheers!

Last edited:

ne1butu

Will R5 3600x and RTX 3070 be good together for 1440p gaming?

Been out of the PC gaming circle for years, but wanna dive back in to play some classics and cover all bases for future games.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Basically I know that my rad on top will pull and push out the top...My question is more about the 6 fans I will be putting in. I am guessing that the bottom 3 will intake air from the bottom of the case but the 3 other ones that I will put on the internal right side panel vertically is more the issue.

Should they also be in taking air from the outside ? Probably...Which leaves me with the top going out and the rear fan also going out.

The gpu might not have any impact but I asked just in case it might have since I never had a gpu sideways.

Anyhow, thanks

Ok I see, ya I guess the three fans on teh bottom, one external and at least 2 intaking from teh side, like this

2-1260.336aa5d6.jpg

Azurro

Banned
Hi, I've been out of the PC build game for many years, just this ridiculous Sony move is kind of forcing my hand. I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a nice ATX or mini ATX case (can those handle a 3080/3070?) that looks classy and isn't a behemoth? I'm not too interested in RGB stuff and will mostly be in the living room.

I was thinking about getting a Ryzen 5 3600 or so as well as an NVME M.2 with speeds as good as PS5's, but I think it's still expensive to get one for those speeds. What do you guys recommend?

kiphalfton

Hi, I've been out of the PC build game for many years, just this ridiculous Sony move is kind of forcing my hand. I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a nice ATX or mini ATX case (can those handle a 3080/3070?) that looks classy and isn't a behemoth? I'm not too interested in RGB stuff and will mostly be in the living room.

I was thinking about getting a Ryzen 5 3600 or so as well as an NVME M.2 with speeds as good as PS5's, but I think it's still expensive to get one for those speeds. What do you guys recommend?

Probably a fractal meshify c case. They have them as either regular or mini form factors.

If you change your mind and you want something with a lot of room, a fractal define s2 or fractal define 7 is good. I have the latter, and it is huge and has a ton of room.

Darkone

Does it worth getting a sound card instead of using the onboard one?
Sometimes when I play I get choppy noises, don't know if it`s from the game I play.

Excess

Update on build. I pretty much have 99% of all parts. Began the process of putting on the water blocks. Not gonna lie, but disassembling the 3080 was very nerve racking considering it's probably impossible to replace. But once decided to vinyl wrap the backplate with carbon fiber, my spirits were lifted. I'll start positioning the radiators in a few days and then planning out the loop.

xPm7fLYh.jpg

GreatnessRD

Update on build. I pretty much have 99% of all parts. Began the process of putting on the water blocks. Not gonna lie, but disassembling the 3080 was very nerve racking considering it's probably impossible to replace. But once decided to vinyl wrap the backplate with carbon fiber, my spirits were lifted. I'll start positioning the radiators in a few days and then planning out the loop.

xPm7fLYh.jpg
I am in love with those black, grey and gold cables. Super tough look! That GPU water block is aces, too.

Still waiting on those GPU's.

On an old PC note, I reckon the 4670k was the most underclocked cpu in history. 1.3 GHz above base with a hyper 212 and cooler than my 3800x.

I’m going to build a PC and just skip the GPU until these prices return to normal. Are there any solid AMD CPUs that have integrated graphics? I’ve seen a few 3200’s. I have an Intel i7 10700k in my part picker build, seems overkill for me though. This PC would just be used for office and school work until I get a GPU.

GreatnessRD

I’m going to build a PC and just skip the GPU until these prices return to normal. Are there any solid AMD CPUs that have integrated graphics? I’ve seen a few 3200’s. I have an Intel i7 10700k in my part picker build, seems overkill for me though. This PC would just be used for office and school work until I get a GPU.
Might can find a used 3400G. New it was $149, but with the current goofiness its probably close to $200. I wouldn't bother at that price tag though.

Captn

Ok I see, ya I guess the three fans on teh bottom, one external and at least 2 intaking from teh side, like this

2-1260.336aa5d6.jpg

Yeah I basically set it up with the 3 bottom ones and the side ones as intakes. 6 of them are 1200rpm's Noctua's. I have the cpu AIO rad with the 3 fans pushing outside out the top and finally a heavy duty 3000 rpm Noctua in the back sucking the hot air out.

5950x sits around 35 average on idle and 65-70 while gaming depending the workload. All and all pretty satisfyed. :)

Might can find a used 3400G. New it was $149, but with the current goofiness its probably close to $200. I wouldn't bother at that price tag though.

That’s this one, right? It says $166 but that’s for a tray processor. I’d normally be hesitant but I’d take a tray processor over used. And it’s cheap, I have an Intel CPU in my projected build and it’s over double that price.

xPm7fLYh.jpg

This is the aesthetic I was originally going for, carbon fiber but metallic red in place of gold.

Can't wait to see this all put together, EK makes some pretty nice looking parts. Clean aesthetics.

Excess

This is the aesthetic I was originally going for, carbon fiber but metallic red in place of gold.

Can't wait to see this all put together, EK makes some pretty nice looking parts. Clean aesthetics.
Yeah, after having a previous build with lots of bright and pretty colors, I wanted to make this build more "mature" this time. I guess it kind of has like Lamborghini vibes to it. Red and carbon fiber would also be sick, especially since Bitspower does make red fittings.

9095_20191224_8777-1024x768.jpg

Poppyseed

Is there any water cooler out there that is so quiet it won’t make me crazy? I mean PROPERLY quiet. No occasional pump sounds, no buzzing etc. My 10700K is on a Noctua NH-U14S setup right now that’s pretty quiet, but if I can get quieter with lower temps, I’ll pay to play. But I need OCD levels of quiet.

GreatnessRD

That’s this one, right? It says $166 but that’s for a tray processor. I’d normally be hesitant but I’d take a tray processor over used. And it’s cheap, I have an Intel CPU in my projected build and it’s over double that price.
Yeah, that's it. And it appears shopblt don't have it either since its on backorder. Might try r/hardwareswap sometimes folks on there are running slick deals.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Does it worth getting a sound card instead of using the onboard one?
Sometimes when I play I get choppy noises, don't know if it`s from the game I play.
I’ve always used a dedicated sound card in all of my personal builds over the years and have always enjoyed the sound quality.

You may want to try updating your audio drivers first though, and also nowadays many people also like to use external DACs and such.

clem84

Gold Member
Problems with M.2 drive. It's a Samsung 980pro. This is my new build:
  • 3900x
  • 2x16GB g.skill
  • Asus ROG Strix X570-i gaming
  • Samsung M.2 980pro (1TB)
The M.2 drive is not detected anywhere in Windows. I made a temporary install on another SSD connected to a sata port. Everything else on the PC seems to work.

The M.2 drive is not showing up in the BIOS, in windows explorer(My PC), it's not showing up in Disk Management, and it's not showing up in Samsung Magician, which is what they recommend using to configure it.

At first I thought it was a defective drive so I sent it back. I received the new one this morning. I tried it, same result. It doesn't show up anywhere. My conclusion at this point is that there has to be something wrong with the X570 motherboard. It's the only thing left.

Thoughts? Could there be another explanation for the missing M.2 drive?

Xyphie

There's two M.2 ports on your motherboard. Try the second one and see if that works, could be a bad slot. Ideally you'd want to use the one on the front of the board as it's connected directly through the CPU via dedicated lanes. The backside one is shared via the chipset.

Excess

• 3900x
  • 2x16GB g.skill
The M.2 drive is not detected anywhere in Windows. I made a temporary install on another SSD connected to a sata port. Everything else on the PC seems to work.

The M.2 drive is not showing up in the BIOS, in windows explorer(My PC), it's not showing up in Disk Management, and it's not showing up in Samsung Magician, which is what they recommend using to configure it.

At first I thought it was a defective drive so I sent it back. I received the new one this morning. I tried it, same result. It doesn't show up anywhere. My conclusion at this point is that there has to be something wrong with the X570 motherboard. It's the only thing left.

Using process of elimination, it sounds motherboard related. Have you tried updating the BIOS?

Yerd

Yeah, if you haven't taken the GPU out of it's slot, it will be hiding that main m.2 slot.

I just googled that MB, there's a giant heatsink over the front m.2 slot. Go through the bios and make sure you can find it there. I don't know bios for amd motherboards, maybe it needs to be enabled somehow.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
  • 3900x
  • 2x16GB g.skill

"The M.2 drive is not showing up in the BIOS,"

that's where you should start.

1. make sure your BIOS is up to date.
2. clear CMOS

if it's still not appearing then get your motherboard replaced cause it's broken.

Yeah, if you haven't taken the GPU out of it's slot, it will be hiding that main m.2 slot.

I just googled that MB, there's a giant heatsink over the front m.2 slot. Go through the bios and make sure you can find it there. I don't know bios for amd motherboards, maybe it needs to be enabled somehow.
you shouldn't need to go into BIOS to enable the m.2 drive connected to a CPU lane.

Last edited:
Top Bottom