• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2022. The GPU drought continues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoenixTank

I searched a lot on yt and most people still advise for a z690 for the 13th gen since benefits on z790 are very small, never haerd of that problem tbh.

If that is true i'm royally fucked because a z790 ddr5 compatible is like more than double the price of a z690...

Steve from gamernexus used z690 motherboard for all his tests with intel 13th gen.

maybe it was just some faulty asus mobo?
Nothing wrong with Z690 in general. Asus get namedropped specifically there and I've edited my post to clarify - could just be BIOS problems but I have no idea if they've fixed it. A Z690 from a different company would be a fine choice.
You could happily have a 13600K in a decent B660 motherboard too especially since you're not overclocking (and 100% do not plan to?). I've not heard about similar issues with 13th gen on those.

Cheaper B760 boards are due January if the rumours are right. Assume you don't want to wait that long.

Wow, that's surprising to me. I'd never heard of any chipset issues with the 13th gen processors via backwards compatibility.
A surprise to me too when the news popped up. I don't consider HardwareTimes a reliable source but they're not the original source apparently 🤷‍♂️. Rattling around in my brain and seems specifically relevant.

I thought that asrock was not on the level of the big 3 msi\giga\asus.

I have some cheap asrock motherboard on amazon italy aswell, but they are inferior in specs compared to the asus z690 is showed to you, the only plus point is that they are z790...
You're correct, especially ASRock's cheaper boards.

GymWolf

Nothing wrong with Z690 in general. Asus get namedropped specifically there and I've edited my post to clarify - could just be BIOS problems but I have no idea if they've fixed it. A Z690 from a different company would be a fine choice.
You could happily have a 13600K in a decent B660 motherboard too especially since you're not overclocking (and 100% do not plan to?). I've not heard about similar issues with 13th gen on those.

Cheaper B760 boards are due January if the rumours are right. Assume you don't want to wait that long.

A surprise to me too when the news popped up. I don't consider HardwareTimes a reliable source but they're not the original source apparently 🤷‍♂️. Rattling around in my brain and seems specifically relevant.

You're correct, especially ASRock's cheaper boards.
No, i'm never gonna overclock, but i heard that b660 can bottleneck even non-overclocked cpus because they still don't get enough power or some shit, i can't remember...

I don't wanna cheapen out too much on the motherboard.

The only time i had a problem with my pc in the last 15 years was when i had a faulty ram stick, and i was with a gigabyte motherboard, not sure if a mobo can fuck up a ram stick but it was the only time that i didn't had an asus motherboard, i kinda trust their brand.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

No, i'm never gonna overclock, but i heard that b660 can bottleneck even non-overclocked cpus.

I don't wanna cheapen out too much on the motherboard.
Really shouldn't be a problem. As long as the power delivery is fine and not overheating, they'll do the job. 13600K is far from the most power hungry of chips in the lineup too.
The limit is that B660 can't OC the CPU and the chipset has less PCIE lanes and IO.

If you're still not keen on B660, there are still z690 options from other manufacturers:

Some GB options as well there from the listing, but perhaps overpriced:

Last edited:

Saucy Papi

I thought that asrock was not on the level of the big 3 msi\giga\asus.

I have some cheap asrock motherboard on amazon italy aswell, but they are inferior in specs compared to the asus z690 is showed to you, the only plus point is that they are z790...

Edit: spoke too fast, there is not a single asrock z790 on amazon italy :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
They are not. However, ASRock isn't a bad brand. I've had one GPU and motherboard from them, and never had any issues. I guess I was suggesting it since the other poster had said the Z690 chipsets may have issues with 13th gen Intel processors.

GymWolf

Really shouldn't be a problem. As long as the power delivery is fine and not overheating, they'll do the job. 13600K is far from the most power hungry of chips in the lineup too.
The limit is that B660 can't OC the CPU and the chipset has less PCIE lanes and IO.

If you're still not keen on B660, there are still z690 options from other manufacturers:

Some GB options as well there from the listing, but perhaps overpriced:
I'm trying to buy stuff that is in discount during the black friday, and honestly? if i can't find any other source that had problems with an asus z690\intel 13th i'm probably not gonna change brand, but i'm gonna keep an eye on the models you suggested.

If they are good enough for tech jesus tests, they are way enough good for me.

Last edited:

Yerd

Nothing wrong with ASrock boards. Usually have some more budget friendly options. My most recent problems have been with gigabyte boards. I had 1 with failures and another with some tiny transistors popped off. Over the years I have used all the big name brands.

Asus have made a name for themselves being one of the most used brands. Now they are beginning to make you pay for the name. Like Beats headphones or Monster cables.

MastAndo

I think it's time I replace my ancient i7-3770K build. She's served me well, but the wrinkles are showing. I have a 2080 Super I plan to throw in a new build, and am trying to keep a build with all other components under $1000 (well under, ideally). I've been out of the loop with gaming PC components, but here's what I came up with;

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FRWzgb

With some Black Friday deals and a CPU/mobo bundle, buying all the items on Amazon (or similar) drops the cost pretty significantly to $786.44;

yKlqVSW.jpg

Some of these options were chosen over others because of the all black color and LED option, though I don't want to skimp on quality/reliability of course. Also, I'm thinking 850W for the PSU gives me enough headway for when I upgrade to a 3000 or 4000 series of GPU down the line. Is that accurate?

I do have some headroom in the budget, but if I can save a few bucks and get good value for the performance, why not? Any thoughts?

Rex_DX

Gold Member
How many of you have made the jump to Win11? Thoughts? Concerns?

The reason I ask is because I just ordered a new router and apparently Wi-Fi 6 isn't supported on Win10. Not the end of the world but it would be nice to make use of.

How painless is the upgrade to Win11?

I also recall seeing an error message in Windows Update saying my PC isn't good enough for Win11. This seems weird because I built it only 18 months ago with all new parts, an i9, 3090 and 64GB of RAM. What could the Updater be worried about?

Edit: Wifi 6E

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I think it's time I replace my ancient i7-3770K build. She's served me well, but the wrinkles are showing. I have a 2080 Super I plan to throw in a new build, and am trying to keep a build with all other components under $1000 (well under, ideally). I've been out of the loop with gaming PC components, but here's what I came up with;

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FRWzgb

With some Black Friday deals and a CPU/mobo bundle, buying all the items on Amazon (or similar) drops the cost pretty significantly to $786.44;

yKlqVSW.jpg

Some of these options were chosen over others because of the all black color and LED option, though I don't want to skimp on quality/reliability of course. Also, I'm thinking 850W for the PSU gives me enough headway for when I upgrade to a 3000 or 4000 series of GPU down the line. Is that accurate?

I do have some headroom in the budget, but if I can save a few bucks and get good value for the performance, why not? Any thoughts?
I'd get at least 32GB of RAM and I'd also consider a 1000W PSU. The 850W is probably OK, but could have issues on a 4000 series.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

The reason I ask is because I just ordered a new router and apparently Wi-Fi 6 isn't supported on Win10. Not the end of the world but it would be nice to make use of.

I also recall seeing an error message in Windows Update saying my PC isn't good enough for Win11. This seems weird because I built it only 18 months ago with all new parts, an i9, 3090 and 64GB of RAM. What could the Updater be worried about?
Windows 11 is outstanding. Absolutely no reason you shouldn't be using it.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.

Depends what the message said.

If you built this yourself, did you enable TPM for example?

PhoenixTank

WiFi 6 works on 10. Assume you mean 6E?

Windows 11 is outstanding. Absolutely no reason you shouldn't be using it.
There is currently an upgrade block in place for some hardware because gaming performance tanks on Windows 11 22H2 vs previous.
Think the background is that debugging is enabled for Nvidia drivers in some cases on that OS version. New Nvidia drivers alone apparently weren't enough to fix it.
Win 11 is still somewhat in beta, much in the same way Win 10 used to be.

Most likely TPM as mentioned above. Will be in BIOS usually somewhere near security settings. Motherboard makers have been enabling by default with newer BIOS versions too.

Last edited:

Hawk269

I am going to be giving my old rig to my friends daughter. For security purposes and ensure none of my stuff is on there, with Windows 10 what wouldbe the best thing to do before giving it to her?

Hawk269

If you were building a new high end rig with a 4090 and I9 CPU would you wait for a new ATX 3.0 PSU or just get what is available now? What would a 3.0 do other than be able to run the 12v cable direct without using PCI cables with the adapter?

Also with a 4090 and a 13900k would you go with 1000w or 1200w if you were OC both CPU and GPU?

GymWolf

So the asus motherboard that i wanted to buy is not available anymore, but i found this one, do you think it's good? It has bios flashback...

Is it true that gigabyte motherboards have problems with the ram XMP thing? like it is hard to have stable 6000 or even 5600.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

So the asus motherboard that i wanted to buy is not available anymore, but i found this one, do you think it's good? It has bios flashback...

Is it true that gigabyte motherboards have problems with the ram XMP thing? like it is hard to have stable 6000 or even 5600.
The UD are pretty low in their lineup - would personally be checking for hands on reviews for it, VRM setup etc.
I seem to remember hearing that gigabyte had atrocious DDR4 support with the z690 launch... but DDR5, I dunno. Lower boards can have more of a problem with it... but the spec page says it supports up to 6000, if you'll believe that. Checking the QVL may be of some help.
Might be a good place to read/ask if RAM is/was a pain in the ass in general on Gigabyte Z690.

Is that board significantly cheaper than the MSI ones I linked?

GymWolf

The UD are pretty low in their lineup - would personally be checking for hands on reviews for it, VRM setup etc.
I seem to remember hearing that gigabyte had atrocious DDR4 support with the z690 launch... but DDR5, I dunno. Lower boards can have more of a problem with it... but the spec page says it supports up to 6000, if you'll believe that. Checking the QVL may be of some help.
Might be a good place to read/ask if RAM is/was a pain in the ass in general on Gigabyte Z690.

Is that board significantly cheaper than the MSI ones I linked?
Yeah giga is no good when it comes to ddr5 ram.

I checked the msi pro-a in the afternoon and it seems pretty good but on amazon is both sold and delivered by third party shops so i don't have amazon amazing return policy if i buy from those.

Hopefully amazon is gonna discount something during cyber monday.

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

Yeah giga is no good when it comes to ddr5 ram.

I checked the msi pro-a in the afternoon and it seems ppretty good but on amazon is both sold and delivered by third party shops so i don't have amazon amazing return policy if i buy from those.

Hopefully amazon is gonna discount something during cyber monday.

Cyber Monday what I'm missing another sale bummer wish I planned for this really wanted 20tb external hard drive.

VN1X

Banned
Lmao this market is so fucked beyond belief. Now the 6800XT is just out of stock everywhere and where you can buy it is has increased in prizes several times over.

It's literally impossible to build a half decent rig for around 1500eu or onder in Europe.

dorkimoe

For some reason i have never been able to get XMP to enable on my pc. Soon as i enable it and reboot it pops up and tells me it had to revert. Is my ram or mobo causing this? Mobo- MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC. I cant find the exact ram but here

Leonidas

For some reason i have never been able to get XMP to enable on my pc. Soon as i enable it and reboot it pops up and tells me it had to revert. Is my ram or mobo causing this? Mobo- MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC. I cant find the exact ram but here

What is the XMP DRAM Frequency? Which CPU? Some CPUs can't hit certain speeds, you might be able to lower the DRAM frequency and get it to work, not ideal, but probably still better than stock.

Alternatively you might be able to get it working at full speed if you don't mind messing with voltages, start by slowly increasing the DRAM voltage and the System Agent voltage.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

What is the XMP DRAM Frequency? Which CPU? Some CPUs can't hit certain speeds, you might be able to lower the DRAM frequency and get it to work, not ideal, but probably still better than stock.

Alternatively you might be able to get it working at full speed if you don't mind messing with voltages, start by slowly increasing the DRAM voltage and the System Agent voltage.
This.
dorkimoe dorkimoe also a screenshot of the SPD tab might be enlightening alongside telling us which CPU you have.

dorkimoe

This.
dorkimoe dorkimoe also a screenshot of the SPD tab might be enlightening alongside telling us which CPU you have.

XMP- i set it to auto, but let me go into bios and look at something

zIQZxrG.png
ou0UIRV.png

GDgpKM4.jpg
YF77pDX.jpg
OE8JBhm.jpg

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Lmao this market is so fucked beyond belief. Now the 6800XT is just out of stock everywhere and where you can buy it is has increased in prizes several times over.

It's literally impossible to build a half decent rig for around 1500eu or onder in Europe.
Yeah I am glad that I picked up my 6900xt when the price dipped below $600 for a bit.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm still on a 3090 and this may be the first time ever where a new generation has come out but my current card still feels like a monster and mows through everything I play.
My 2020 rig may end up lasting me a long time...

GymWolf

Better ram between these 2?

The patriot are 10 euros cheaper but i never heard about the brand (but they should be pretty famous ram wise)

The mobo is probably gonna be this one

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member
I was so close on ordering a 5700x (missed out on the 5800 and x3d variant) but decided to hold back. Currently have a 3700x paired with a 3070ti and 32gb of ram. Game at 1440p with a g-sync monitor. Think this will hold for a while longer and the video comparisons online comparing the 3700x to 5700x aren't big enough for me to justify even black Friday pricing. That and the aging x470 platform.

Having that itch to upgrade but need to hold off. Maybe another GPU generation or two.

Last edited:

dave_d

I was so close on ordering a 5700x (missed out on the 5800 and x3d variant) but decided to hold back. Currently have a 3700x paired with a 3070ti and 32gb of ram. Game at 1440p with a g-sync monitor. Think this will hold for a while longer and the video comparisons online comparing the 3700x to 5700x aren't big enough for me to justify even black Friday pricing. That and the aging x470 platform.

Having that itch to upgrade but need to hold off. Maybe another GPU generation or two.
Been very tempted too. I've seen the 5800x3d for $345 on Amazon and the 5700x/5800x going for mid $200 have been very tempting. (I currently have a 3800xt with a 3070 and I game at 1440p as well.) Admittedly part of it is that my house is so dry in the winter I'm worried I'll zap something with static.

Last edited:

Popup

The so called report of an ASUS Z690 25% performance drop on that 'Article' was based on a single tweet.

The issue was caused by not following the instructions on the most recent bios update, which required downloading intel ME drivers.

The BIOS update clearly states this, so everything is fine again.

Wow, that's surprising to me. I'd never heard of any chipset issues with the 13th gen processors via backwards compatibility.

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member
Been very tempted too. I've seen the 5800x3d for $345 on Amazon and the 5700x/5800x going for mid $200 have been very tempting. (I currently have a 3800xt with a 3070 and I game at 1440p as well.) Admittedly part of it is that my house is so dry in the winter I'm worried I'll zap something with static.
Didn't even think of how dry it is in my place as well! The other big deterrent is that I use an AIO and I struggled setting it up last time (chalk it up to 1st time using a water cooler). I really don't want to deal with that unless I have to again. Rather stick with air cooling and saw that the 5800 series ran hot.

Last edited:

Saucy Papi

The so called report of an ASUS Z690 25% performance drop on that 'Article' was based on a single tweet.

The issue was caused by not following the instructions on the most recent bios update, which required downloading intel ME drivers.

Great!

PhoenixTank

Ah thank you. My memory was very hazy on the status and actual resolution to the problem.

Dumb question, those amd reward games are only available if I purchase the hardware on the stores listed on their website, right?
I usually check the website I want to buy from rather than whoever AMD lists. The retailer is responsible for sending the code and tend to have promo info on the product pages. For unlisted brick and mortar, maybe you'd have to contact them?

XMP- i set it to auto, but let me go into bios and look at something

zIQZxrG.png
ou0UIRV.png

They should run, though the "official support" for a 9600K is apparently only DDR4-2666. Dual Rank and 4 sticks is definitely heavier on memory controllers than 2 sticks. The RAM was sold as a kit of 4, right?

I'm assuming this photo is without XMP enabled? Otherwise it hasn't set the correct 1.35V DRAM voltage, and it would be very strange if it hadn't.
The other thing as Leonidas mentioned is VCCSA but I'm unclear what voltage that should set to - an older Intel board I've worked on definitely did not set VCCSA at all alongside the XMP profile, and was unstable without it. I think the correct voltage was tagged somewhere, in my case.

Different things to try:
As mentioned by Xyphie, remove two sticks and try to enable XMP then and see if it holds.
Manually booting @ DDR4-2666 with 1.35v DRAM, just to test.
Does "Memory Try it" have an option for just testing/training as low as DDR4-3000? Not an option I rely on.

The advice I would give is to apply the XMP settings manually and see what happens

Note though to anyone buying memory right now: you can get Samsung B-Die very cheap. Look up OEM 3200CL14 memory.

dorkimoe

Ah thank you. My memory was very hazy on the status and actual resolution to the problem.

I usually check the website I want to buy from rather than whoever AMD lists. The retailer is responsible for sending the code and tend to have promo info on the product pages. For unlisted brick and mortar, maybe you'd have to contact them?

They should run, though the "official support" for a 9600K is apparently only DDR4-2666. Dual Rank and 4 sticks is definitely heavier on memory controllers than 2 sticks. The RAM was sold as a kit of 4, right?

I'm assuming this photo is without XMP enabled? Otherwise it hasn't set the correct 1.35V DRAM voltage, and it would be very strange if it hadn't.

The other thing as Leonidas mentioned is VCCSA but I'm unclear what voltage that should set to - an older Intel board I've worked on definitely did not set VCCSA at all alongside the XMP profile, and was unstable without it. I think the correct voltage was tagged somewhere, in my case.

Different things to try:
As mentioned by Xyphie, remove two sticks and try to enable XMP then and see if it holds.
Does "Memory Try it" have an option for just testing/training as low as DDR4-3000? Not an option I rely on.
yup its without xmp enabled. i guess ill try the 2 stick method :( brb

dorkimoe

Different things to try:

2 sticks works. Im
Just gonna order 2x16 sticks and sell these. Didn’t know it would ever be a problem to use 4 sticks all the same brand

Last edited:

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Hi guys! Just wanted your input on the below (this is what i'm running on now):

ASUS Mobo
Intel i7 7700 (non-K) Quad Core @ 3.6Ghz
32gb RAM DDR4 3200
ASUS RTX 3060Ti 8GB Dual OC
X63 AIO

Do you think I should upgrade my Mobo and CPU?

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

While i've had 0 compatibility issues with Windows 11 so far literally every person on the planet that isn't me seems to be having some sort of gigantic issue that makes it unusable, so i think it should be a last resort. You should wait a couple months or years until it gets more stable. Have you tried connecting your current Windows 10 build to your router? does it work?

GreatnessRD

ASUS Mobo
32gb RAM DDR4 3200
X63 AIO

I'm sure that's holding back your 3060 Ti some, so if you're not happy with its performance then yes, upgrade. If its doing what you want it to do then no, don't upgrade. But my suggestion would be if you do upgrade, look at a 12600K or perhaps 13600K if the price is below $300. I think the 12th gen is around $240. Or if you want to switch to AMD, 5600x is something absurd like $180 or less.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
While i've had 0 compatibility issues with Windows 11 so far literally every person on the planet that isn't me seems to be having some sort of gigantic issue that makes it unusable, so i think it should be a last resort. You should wait a couple months or years until it gets more stable. Have you tried connecting your current Windows 10 build to your router? does it work?
Yeah this is why I'm asking! So many people with issues. I always try to resist the "upgrade" for at least a year or until I have a bonafide reason to do so. Trying to avoid growing pains.

Router is coming this week and I think in tandem I'll be doing a complete overhaul of my home network - adding a media server etc. Hopefully it won't be necessary to go the Win11 route just yet.

Thanks to all the people who offered advice!

Saucy Papi

I've updated two different computers and haven't encountered any major issues. It's extremely easy to upgrade assuming you take the necessary steps (if needed) in the BIOS.

Xyphie

ASUS Mobo
32gb RAM DDR4 3200
X63 AIO

I'd upgrade the CPU+Motherboard but keep the RAM.

So your options would be:

Ryzen 5 5600 ($150) + B550 motherboard (~$150) should land around $300 in total. If you want to go more premium go for 5800X3D ($330).

Intel 12600K(F), 13600K(F) + Z690 DDR4 motherboard. ~$450-550 total depending on processor and motherboard choice.

GymWolf

How many chance that games are gonna need more than 16gb of system ram in 5 years from now?

Like does it make sense to buy 32gb if i close everything else when i play and i don't work on pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom