• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2022. The GPU drought continues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBooper

Anyone here have UPS recommendations?

After a handful of bad power outages and brownouts, coupled with having built a sweet, high-end PC last year, I've decided to grab a nice UPS. I've been looking at the various APC and Cyberpower models. The problem is, going from reviews all of them seem to be massive fire hazards (probably overblown but still worrying). I work like 70 hours a week and don't want to constantly worry the thing is burning my house down. Anyone have issues with their UPS and/or have one they'd recommend as safe/good?

Looking for something with about 900w; sine wave is a plus. $200-300 USD max.
I bought a Cyberpanel CP1500PFCLCD back in 2016 that's still going strong. It's worked without a flaw for me.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I bought a Cyberpanel CP1500PFCLCD back in 2016 that's still going strong. It's worked without a flaw for me.
I appreciate the response. That's one of the models I'm looking at.

Glad it's been working for you.

Anyone else with UPS experience feel free chime in.

Cheers.

GreatnessRD

Well, what perfect timing.

My 2080 has bit the dust, it's begun artifacting or even refusing to allow the system to boot. Swapped with other cards, other components are good. I can't initialise the NV Driver to try and even attempt to reduce memory clocks.

Sadly I refuse to pay the current prices for cards that would merely be little more than a sidegrade, and absolutely no chance I'm paying £1000+ for a 3080. Given I purchased back in 2018, I would assume RMA is probably out of the question, though I've contacted Inno3D and Overclockers on the off chance.

If I have to use the basic display driver to the end of the year, I will. Hopefully GT7 should keep me going for a while once I decide on what wheel to get.
chigstoke chigstoke

New thread, mah boi. And that sucks, but good for you sticking to your guns. I didn't pay above OG MSRP for either of my GPU's this generation neither. I think we'll see some sort of stable prices later this year. I hope so anyway. Also if you wait, Nvidia and AMD's new offerings will be available end of the year, too. Gran Turismo 7 is looking like it will be a fun time to keep you occupied in the meantime.

Xdrive05

PSA #1: If you're in the market for an RTX 3050 8GB, supply seems to be relatively good right now at Newegg. My wife and I both hit on a shuffle three days apart (in a combo, but still), and anecdotally on reddit a lot of folks have been posting about hitting lately for a 3050. Try the shuffle every weekday and you have a great chance right now.

PSA #2: Nvidia will be changing their RTX 3050 8GB from GA106 to GA107 at some point, and the GA107 card won't have the same TDP and may not have quite as much headroom to be pushed at the higher end (source). The current GA106 may be preferable to the replaced version but that's yet TBD. Also there are leaks, or at least credible rumors, that they will produce a 4GB variant with further cut down hardware (18SMs) to provide a lower price tier, kind of like what the GTX 1060 3GB was compared to the 6GB of that card.

adamosmaki

Amd 6600 here in EU the last couple of days dropped in price a lot and at least it doesnt cost an arm to buy. Some cheaper ones go for under 500euros compared to 650 a month ago

dcx4610

I'm thinking of switching from Corsair to Razer for my keyboard/mouse just because I hate their software so much. Anyone had any issues with Razer's software or is it generally pretty stable? I've also got my eyes on their new AIO loop. If their software is good, I think I'll pull the trigger.

dcx4610

Also, a word of warning. For the first time in my life, I killed a computer component with static electricity. I knew it was possible but I never took it too seriously and I paid an expensive price. I wanted to upgrade the RCA cable to my Sound Blaster AE-9 (nearly a $400 card) and when I connected the new cable, there was a loud buzz and the card died. No lights, no power, nothing.

So yeah...turn off your speakers if you are messing with inputs on a sound card. That was a $400 mistake that I won't repeat again.

GreatnessRD

Also, a word of warning. For the first time in my life, I killed a computer component with static electricity. I knew it was possible but I never took it too seriously and I paid an expensive price. I wanted to upgrade the RCA cable to my Sound Blaster AE-9 (nearly a $400 card) and when I connected the new cable, there was a loud buzz and the card died. No lights, no power, nothing.

So yeah...turn off your speakers if you are messing with inputs on a sound card. That was a $400 mistake that I won't repeat again.
Damn, that's tough pimp. Sorry that happened to you.

chigstoke

chigstoke chigstoke

New thread, mah boi. And that sucks, but good for you sticking to your guns. I didn't pay above OG MSRP for either of my GPU's this generation neither. I think we'll see some sort of stable prices later this year. I hope so anyway. Also if you wait, Nvidia and AMD's new offerings will be available end of the year, too. Gran Turismo 7 is looking like it will be a fun time to keep you occupied in the meantime.
Ah, sorry about that. Genuinely missed it, somehow.

Hopefully so. Surely cannot keep this mad pricing going on for another gen of cards. At the moment, I've signed up to some Telegram thingamajig to get price alerts on FE cards in the UK. Though I'll most likely be at work whenever these restocks happen. Seems Scan is the UK supplier for Nvidia FE.
I guess we also have Intel to enter the market this year too along with NV and AMD. I'll be interested to see how those cards do and their pricing.

Yeah it does look good. I've been looking to get back into racing games again. I've been trying out the telemetry settings on F1 2020 and it's genuinely brilliant. Sometimes I also enjoy messing around on ETS 2, I must be the worlds worst trucker.

chigstoke

It seems to me that Amd cards are readily available in the Uk, but the gouging continues.
Plenty of 3070 Ti's too, but gouged pricing as you say.

I've ended up getting a Geforce 310. £6 from CEX, I can't really watch videos well with this knackered 2080, so that'll do for my football streams etc... till pricing comes down or if Intel give it a good go.

Jayjayhd34

Is buying dddr5 for future proofing worth an extra grand. Due the prices buying my first pre built from scan soon saving an extra grand would only take me extra month so is it worth it ?

chigstoke

Is buying dddr5 for future proofing worth an extra grand. Due the prices buying my first pre built from scan soon saving an extra grand would only take me extra month so is it worth it ?
I'd say for future proofing yes, but not urgently as it's not dominating DDR4 in the weird transition period.

An extra grand though? Is that just for the RAM? You can get Vengeance DDR5-5600 @ 32GB (2x16) for £300 from Amazon.

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

I'd say for future proofing yes, but not urgently as it's not dominating DDR4 in the weird transition period.

An extra grand though? Is that just for the RAM? You can get Vengeance DDR5-5600 @ 32GB (2x16) for £300 from Amazon.
They seem to have added cheaper ddr5 pc for £4000 there cheapest rtx3090 pc is £3200 so an extra 800 for the more expensive mobo and ram.

Xdrive05

Best upgrade I’ve done in a long time:
Ryzen 2600 -> 5600x

If you have a b450 or b470 it’s an awesome upgrade on a budget! Micro Center has them in sale.

chigstoke

They seem to have added cheaper ddr5 pc for £4000 there cheapest rtx3090 pc is £3200 so an extra 800 for the more expensive mobo and ram.
I think I see the system you're on about on the site.

FWIW, minus the case as that is really a preference one, I got a self build to under £3500 with the equivalent specs plus higher wattage of PSU (2021 Corsair RM). But of course, you've then got the freedom to sub out any parts.

This is under the proviso though you have your own fans, KB+M, Monitor and OS. But you'd have spare budget to get those in this case. And windows can be had for a few quid...

list.png

Saves you a few hundred quid that you'd have originally given to Scan.

Last edited:

FingerBang

It seems to me that Amd cards are readily available in the Uk, but the gouging continues.

Plenty of 3070 Ti's too, but gouged pricing as you say.

I've ended up getting a Geforce 310. £6 from CEX, I can't really watch videos well with this knackered 2080, so that'll do for my football streams etc... till pricing comes down or if Intel give it a good go.

It seems like things are getting better. More stock that doesn't move, means lower prices. Fingers crossed, we might have more cards available for MSRP soon.

chigstoke

It seems like things are getting better. More stock that doesn't move, means lower prices. Fingers crossed, we might have more cards available for MSRP soon.

Hopefully so. Some of the prices I've seen around (looking at Currys especially) has been absurd.

MSRP can't come back soon enough.

speckz

My local Microcenter stores seem to have more GPUs in-stock regularly; not sure if prices are that much lower, however, or back to MSRP.

Xdrive05

Getting multiple B&H product availability emails for different 3060 models at around $500 a pop. Already got a 3050 that will hold me over for a couple years, so just letting you all know.

Hustler

I just secured a 3070TI at a decent price. I'm guessing I should just replace the 970 in my current build and wait for the next wave of CPU releases this spring to do a complete new build? Wanting to pass on my current build to my kids.

GreatnessRD

Bwhahahan everyone thought I went over to the PS5. No I was waiting for parts

behold

Samsung Odessy Neo G9
3080 Ti
Ryzen 7 5800X

UltraWide Destiny 2 here I come!

I HATE curved monitors, but this looks so damn good and clean. What desk are you using?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I HATE curved monitors, but this looks so damn good and clean. What desk are you using?

Arozzi - Arena Ultrawide Curved Gaming Desk​

Had it for a few years now nothing grand but does it’s job. One of the only ones I could get locally.

GreatnessRD

Looks like that light at the end of the tunnel is coming, boys! Newegg have stopped their garbage shuffles. Best Buys are having some GPUs in store. And my local Microcenter have been getting a nice stock in lately. AND the prices have been dropping no doubt about it. Seen 6700 XT's in the 7's at Microcenter and a few stocked 3060 Ti's for under $700. Oh yes, times are changing. Love to see it.

Now I just need the rumor to be true that the 5800X3D will go for $350 because my mouth is watering for it. Let's fuckin' go!

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
It’s been a shitty 12 to 18 months yeah difference for me is staggering. This time last year my custom build was going to take at least 100 working days compared to this year where I got the build in about 10 working days.

Last edited:

chigstoke

Miffed today.

SCAN dropped 3060Ti's, 3070's and 3090's this morning. This guy here was in a work meeting.

By the time I went for a 'shite but actually purchasing a GPU instead' - they were OOS.

Really hoping 3080's or 3070Ti's drop tonight. Pray to the Gods.

Bwhahahan everyone thought I went over to the PS5. No I was waiting for parts

behold

Samsung Odessy Neo G9
3080 Ti
Ryzen 7 5800X

UltraWide Destiny 2 here I come!

I was going to get that monitor, then I found an $800 monitor on sale for $400 and the part of me that looks at $20 Wal-Mart shoes and thinks "I could probably find shoes for $10 if I look hard enough" won the fight.

That looks awesome.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
At this point is there any point in trying to buy a 3070 or greater card or should I juts wait for the next series? Doesn't seem like it's possible to get these cards at MSRP anyway.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I was going to get that monitor, then I found an $800 monitor on sale for $400 and the part of me that looks at $20 Wal-Mart shoes and thinks "I could probably find shoes for $10 if I look hard enough" won the fight.

That looks awesome.
It's fantastic. Kinda feels like vr without the head gear.

GreatnessRD

At this point is there any point in trying to buy a 3070 or greater card or should I juts wait for the next series? Doesn't seem like it's possible to get these cards at MSRP anyway.
The availability is continuing to get better and the prices are steadily dropping. Unless you absolutely need a card right now, I'd say wait. At my Microcenter Nvidia cards are starting to be readily in stock. AMD has always been on shelves here.

rofif

Banned
boss asked me to build a pc for his son...
2060 is 500usd. 3060/ti/3070 are all more expensive than my 3080 was at msrp.
He noped out

chigstoke

Somehow, someway, I just got a 3080 Ti for RRP.

Okay, it's overkill over a 3080. But all the 3080's I've seen over here are still going for over a grand, it made sense to get the 3080 Ti. I'll be set for years.

The hunt has finished. Now I need a new PSU to play it safe. Don't think my 650GQ is going to cut the mustard as much as I'd like it to. I do have an extra VGA cable for the PSU so I can at least see how it goes but that really is short term.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I would buy what you can now. It will be hard to get next gen cards at launch and when you do finally get one then you can sell the old one.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Got my eye on that rumored 5700x cpu. Thought about getting the 5800x3d, but if it’s going to cost 200 dollars more for just an 8 core, eh maybe not. 5700x for $200 on clearance would be an too good to pass up deal.

5800x3d should be good for long term 120fps support though…

Either one will be a huge upgrade from the 1600af I have. Whatever cpu I pick will have to last me a few gpu upgrades.

Last edited:

BigBooper

I'm curious what people think about the availability of next gen. There's apparently a lull in demand now due to the bitcoin crash mostly, but why think the demand won't go back up? It seems there's always some hot new crypto.

(I'm trying to figure out myself whether to buy a 3080 or wait for 4080.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom