• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2023. 6-24 Cores, Frame Generation, Enhanced Ray Tracing & Direct Storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Why does the custom keyboard community hate full boards? I wanna build one, but I need a full keyboard, lol.
It's redundant. Why do you need to waste more space for keys that are already on the keyboard and have to be reached ?
I like 60% -up to tkl myself but I hate custom keyboards.
I think that having to build your own keyboard is a scam and they ask even more money for it.

Yerd

It's redundant. Why do you need to waste more space for keys that are already on the keyboard and have to be reached ?
I think that having to build your own keyboard is a scam and they ask even more money for it.
I hate typing numbers without a number pad. If you get used to a number pad, not having it is quite a hinderance.

I've never learned how to properly type, but I know how to run a number pad (had a job that required using a printing calculator) like nobody's business. There's no way you can come close without it. Del, Home, End keys are either missing or in weird places too. Those keys are probably useless to a lot of people, but invaluable to others.

I agree with you though, on customs, that's a racket.

I am using a 60% right now, because this keyboard I bought for my laptop feels 10x better than the keyboard I was using. I bought a 96% from the same company to replace my current desktop one. Awaiting that delivery in a week or so.

Deanington

You can get customs as cheap as some of the more higher end big box boards. The real scam in my opinion is spending money on "gamer" keyboards. It's cheap rgb junk that doesn't feel or sound good. On top of having to potentially use shitty software. It targets "gamers" when reality it makes you as good as a player as a gamer chair. I want customization, different aesthetics, feel, and sound that gamer boards/cheap boards do not offer. Sure I can use a cheap board to save money, but why?

EDIT: I should say that I will gladly use and be grateful for anything regardless. I probably sound like an elitist prick bagging on this stuff while I am trying to defend stupid keyboards. What have I become, lol!

Last edited:
Last edited:

GreatnessRD

I use the numpad a lot and just a personal preference on that I like full keyboards. Will agree that building a custom keyboard is insane based on the prices I've seen and the group buying and all that wild shit. Definitely looks like a rich mans hobby, lol.
I hate typing numbers without a number pad. If you get used to a number pad, not having it is quite a hinderance.

I've never learned how to properly type, but I know how to run a number pad (had a job that required using a printing calculator) like nobody's business. There's no way you can come close without it. Del, Home, End keys are either missing or in weird places too. Those keys are probably useless to a lot of people, but invaluable to others.

I am using a 60% right now, because this keyboard I bought for my laptop feels 10x better than the keyboard I was using. I bought a 96% from the same company to replace my current desktop one. Awaiting that delivery in a week or so.
Yeah, you're spot on. Not having that numpad would make me feel like the keyboard is naked. What company did you get your keyboards from?

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

Agreed. I type a lot of numbers for school and work and I always default to the number pad. I love smaller things so a numberless keyboard sounds interesting but in the end I like typing numbers / doing arithmetic with the number pad

You can get customs as cheap as some of the more higher end big box boards. The real scam in my opinion is spending money on "gamer" keyboards. It's cheap rgb junk that doesn't feel or sound good. On top of having to potentially use shitty software. It targets "gamers" when reality it makes you as good as a player as a gamer chair. I want customization, different aesthetics, feel, and sound that gamer boards/cheap boards do not offer. Sure I can use a cheap board to save money, but why?

Agreed with most although I do have a Logitech G915 with linear keys. Chose that mainly because I wanted a wireless keyboard with good response time, no bluetooth but a dedicated 2.4 usb dongle. Battery life great on a charge and I disabled all the RGB. Its not so loud which is why I didnt go full mechanical but keys do have a nice feel to them.

Currently have a 700w Cooler Master PSU that I've had for quite a while now, its powered a Fury Nano, Vega 64, 5700XT, RTX 2080ti and now a 3090, to give some indication of its service record. Haven't had any issues in the few weeks or so the 3090 has been in the system, but I'm still wondering if its time to retire the ol' gal and replace it with a newer model given it's age 🤔 When do folk usually replace a PSU?

Erebus

Ada is extremely efficient, even the 4080 barely goes over 320w, and the transient spikes are not very severe in the slightest (I think for the 4080 the spike goes to like 370w, which is significantly better than anything from Ampere). 650w would most likely be completely fine as long as your CPU doesn't draw a ton of power (i.e. a 13700k/13900k)

I have a 12700k.

Just buy a 3060Ti'G6X or 3070 for like 350 dollars and call it a day.
The 4060Ti will be atleast 500 dollars and come with buyers remorse from the jump.

They are also not only gimped on memory bandwidth but also by being PCIEx8 instead of x16.
ftornBh.png

If you are in the US hunt down an RTX3080 for ~450 dollars and your are sorted.
RWRto1t.png
How accurate is this table though? Also, going with 3xxx series cards means you don't get DLSS 3.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
cpu and mobo ordered. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BLB3LDLJ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

RMX 850 shift with 5000D case. No links, sorry. Oops, I forgot I got the front mesh and filter incoming as well.

SSD ordered.

3 case fans in front

Ram ordered

CPU cooler

Got the USB for windows and bios

MX6 for thermal paste.

Just missing windows and key, right?

Already have GPU(for now).

Also have the front panel and filter for the front to make it an airflow.
The NHD15 is 110 dollars before tax?
What the fuck!?!?!
How accurate is this table though? Also, going with 3xxx series cards means you don't get DLSS 3.
Kopite leaked the entire RTX40 launch line up nearly 2 years ago.....totally accurately down to the CUDA and cache count. (The 4080(ti)20G is the only chip we havent seen yet, and bet they announce it at GTC)
I doubt hes going to be wrong with the 4060 and 60Ti some two months out.
Board Partners have to already be printing these things and making the Coolers by now.

By DLSS 3 I take it you mean FrameGeneraiton?
FrameGeneraiton up to 60 is garbo, FrameGeneraiton is only really worth it when its spitting out HFR.
The 4060 isnt going to be hitting 120+ in anything cept CSGO.

Yerd

I use the numpad a lot and just a personal preference on that I like full keyboards. Will agree that building a custom keyboard is insane based on the prices I've seen and the group buying and all that wild shit. Definitely looks like a rich mans hobby, lol.

Yeah, you're spot on. Not having that numpad would make me feel like the keyboard is naked. What company did you get your keyboards from?
Nuphy. This is what I bought. I don't know if all 60% keyboards are designed to do this, but this one fits right on top of the keyboard on my laptop. The feet fit in between the keys and it sits there stable.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QKVZ1CK/

A cheaper option is this, but I just didn't like the colors.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BLSW638H/

The 96% hasn't been released yet, and I just got an email that they are delayed until the 28th. Ordered from their website.
https://nuphy.com/collections/keybo...chanical-keyboard?_pos=1&_fid=0e2881019&_ss=c

Last edited:

Deanington

Agreed with most although I do have a Logitech G915 with linear keys. Chose that mainly because I wanted a wireless keyboard with good response time, no bluetooth but a dedicated 2.4 usb dongle. Battery life great on a charge and I disabled all the RGB. Its not so loud which is why I didnt go full mechanical but keys do have a nice feel to them.

I love linears, thats all I use. If you havent you should try some mechanical linears modded *nut*.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
How do I configure Steam Big Picture to start on windows bootup?

I see two options for Steam start up boot in settings. One for when windows starts and the other for starting big picture. I have enabled both of them. But when windows restarts, one of them gets unchecked. Ive also added Steam to the list of windows start up programs.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Currently have a 700w Cooler Master PSU that I've had for quite a while now, its powered a Fury Nano, Vega 64, 5700XT, RTX 2080ti and now a 3090, to give some indication of its service record. Haven't had any issues in the few weeks or so the 3090 has been in the system, but I'm still wondering if its time to retire the ol' gal and replace it with a newer model given it's age 🤔 When do folk usually replace a PSU?
A good psu can last you through several builds. However, nvidia recommends at least a 750w psu for a 3090 so you are cutting it rather close there. Plus power supplies tend to be able to supply a little less wattage as they age. If you’re not having issues then you could keep it but running it at the edge could also shorten its life span.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I do have a Logitech G915 with linear keys. Chose that mainly because I wanted a wireless keyboard with good response time, no bluetooth but a dedicated 2.4 usb dongle. Battery life great on a charge and I disabled all the RGB. Its not so loud which is why I didnt go full mechanical but keys do have a nice feel to them.

I have two of the Logitech G915s, and for the exact same reasons that you mentioned. I do like the RGB on it though, so I keep that turned on. Even with the RGB the battery life is great.

P.S. I hate keyboards without a number pad. I press numbers all of the time for my job, and I want a keyboard that makes that process simple.

Last edited:
I am now contemplating the Micro Center CPU deals. Sticking with my GTX 1070 though. R9 seems like it will have me set on cores and clock speed for as far into the future as I can imagine. Good idea or bad?

Deanington

The numpad is one of the biggest quality of life sections on a keyboard. It was the thing I was going to miss the most when I first got in to my first group buy (65%). There is a satisfaction being able to flow through the numbers. However, I noticed I didnt use it often and got over it fairly quickly.

GreatnessRD

I am now contemplating the Micro Center CPU deals. Sticking with my GTX 1070 though. R9 seems like it will have me set on cores and clock speed for as far into the future as I can imagine. Good idea or bad?
If you can get that combo deal of the 7900x, Asus Strix B650e and the free RAM for $600? Absolutely do it. That's an insane deal in my opinion. My local Microcenter is all out of the deal in spite of having a ton of stock of each product. I heavily thought about it, BUT my better judgement took over and said your hardware is fine! lol

Erebus

The NHD15 is 110 dollars before tax?
What the fuck!?!?!

Kopite leaked the entire RTX40 launch line up nearly 2 years ago.....totally accurately down to the CUDA and cache count. (The 4080(ti)20G is the only chip we havent seen yet, and bet they announce it at GTC)
I doubt hes going to be wrong with the 4060 and 60Ti some two months out.
Board Partners have to already be printing these things and making the Coolers by now.

By DLSS 3 I take it you mean FrameGeneraiton?
FrameGeneraiton up to 60 is garbo, FrameGeneraiton is only really worth it when its spitting out HFR.
The 4060 isnt going to be hitting 120+ in anything cept CSGO.
Besides FrameGen, doesn't DLSS 3 also offer better results than the previous version of the Nvidia upscaler?

Last edited:
The clean look is great but you can get more featires6 for your money from other brands, if you are partial to the white you should check the Gigabyte line up because they have a clean looking line that's more geared towards creators, I think it's name was Vision?
I actually bought a 7700X and a Gigabyte B650E Master last month but returned them. My current Intel board is a Gigabyte too (Z390 Master)

I've had too many problems with Gigabyte boards and I'm done with them. On Intel the problems haven't been anything major (mostly obscure bugs related to secure boot/linux) but both times I've went AMD with Gigabyte I've had nothing but trouble. A few years ago when I tried AMD the system would randomly crash. When I got the 7700X and the B650E Master the computer would refuse to boot most of the time and the couple of times I managed to get into Windows it took forever. Also, on the B650E board the heatsink screws were stripped so the heatsink was not secure which would've caused temperature issues due to poor contact.

The NZXT boards look cool but I'm going to give Asus a shot. I'll get the B650E-E Gaming Wifi. If I have the money I might even just go for the X670E Hero or whatever it's called.

Last edited:

Astray

Gold Member
I actually bought a 7700X and a Gigabyte B650E Master last month but returned them. My current Intel board is a Gigabyte too (Z390 Master)

I've had too many problems with Gigabyte boards and I'm done with them. On Intel the problems haven't been anything major (mostly obscure bugs related to secure boot/linux) but both times I've went AMD with Gigabyte I've had nothing but trouble. A few years ago when I tried AMD the system would randomly crash. When I got the 7700X and the B650E Master the computer would refuse to boot most of the time and the couple of times I managed to get into Windows it took forever. Also, on the B650E board the heatsink screws were stripped so the heatsink was not secure which would've caused temperature issues due to poor contact.

The NZXT boards look cool but I'm going to give Asus a shot. I'll get the B650E-E Gaming Wifi. If I have the money I might even just go for the X670E Hero or whatever it's called.
Asus is honestly excellent, but steer clear of Armory Crate, it's incredibly hard to remove and is jank af.

I plan on grabbing a 7950x3D and Asus B650E-F board, and want to use a 2x32GB DDR5 kit with it. I'm hoping to achieve 6000MT/s at whatever optimal timings I can get. Anyone in here running this setup with ok results? I'm a bit nervous it won't be stable. I'm tired of dealing with XMP on my old 7700k and having random crashes and errors constantly. It's never been stable.

JackSparr0w

Banned
I plan on grabbing a 7950x3D and Asus B650E-F board, and want to use a 2x32GB DDR5 kit with it. I'm hoping to achieve 6000MT/s at whatever optimal timings I can get. Anyone in here running this setup with ok results? I'm a bit nervous it won't be stable. I'm tired of dealing with XMP on my old 7700k and having random crashes and errors constantly. It's never been stable.
XMP is supposed to make things stable you got faulty ram.

winjer

Gold Member
XMP is supposed to make things stable you got faulty ram.

The memory speed on a system depends on the memory, the memory controller, which is in the CPU and finally, the motherboard.
Just because a memory kit has a XMP speed, does not mean the CPU or motherboard can use it.

For example, Alder Lake has a oficial max speed of 4800MT/s. Anything above this is overclocking and it's not guaranteed.
The same thing for Zen4, because it only supports officially 5200MT/s. So 6000MT/s is overclocking.
This means that above the oficial speed, it's likely that the user will have to change impedances and voltages to compensate.

KuraiShidosha KuraiShidosha might be using an XMP speed that is above the oficial memory speed. Thus, the instability.

Dural

Decided to do a "budget" mini-itx build that I put on a sofa table behind our couch in the family room. I purchased the following for the build;

Gigabyte Aorus Z690I Ultra Lite - ~$170
I5 12600K - ~$200
Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE White - ~$42
TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta 32GB 6000mhz CL30 DDR5 - ~$188
Kingston NV2 1tb M.2 SSD - ~$55
Cooler Master NR200P White - ~$85
EVGA 750w SFX PSU - ~$90
Radeon RX590 - Free from son, he upgraded to RX6750 for Christmas

I put this all together a couple weeks ago on a Saturday. I'm loving the look of the NR200, it's so small and doesn't look horrible sitting on the table. I also bought an arm to mount the monitor on the table which works great. Never done a mini-itx build, it was a pain routing all the wires. In the end I said fuck it since I'm not using the glass panel so it looks a bit messy under the PSU. For the cooling, all I have is one 120mm fan blowing out at the top and one 120mm fan on the heatsink pulling air from the back. I couldn't fit the second 120mm fan on the top because of the heatsink, also why the heatsink only has one fan as the second that it came with is too thick. I'm going to need to order a couple lower profile fans. Still, the temps on the CPU look great. Running some stress tests, the highest I've seen it get after more than 10 minutes is in the low 50s C. I'll eventually upgrade the GPU if I see a good deal, not planning on putting anything ridiculous in it.

PS-The day I put it together I had to run to my workbench in the basement to grab some adapters and on the way up the stairs I heard a big crash. My 2yo got up to see what I was building and when he heard me coming up the stairs shoved the PC off the table in a panic. I had everything in it, just routing cables at the time. The case has a dent on the front panel and was slightly skewed, luckily none of the hardware was damaged.

I'll post some pics when I get home.

Last edited:

Loope

Hello people. I'm looking for a GPU to play at 1080p.i have a 2160x1080 monitor a AMD Ryzen 3600 CPU,16 GB of ram and a 650w font.

Can you recommend something? Im in Portugal and can go until 350€. Thank you.

Deanington

Fractal North case is still in stock on Newegg. Its a beautiful case and doesnt stay in stock long. I just got the white mesh, super excited about that.

Last edited:

VAVA Mk2

Hello people. I'm looking for a GPU to play at 1080p.i have a 2160x1080 monitor a AMD Ryzen 3600 CPU,16 GB of ram and a 650w font.

An RTX 3060 should be fine for your needs.

winjer

Gold Member

You can buy an RTX 3060 Ventus X2 on several Portuguese shops, near that price.

Black_Stride

Besides FrameGen, doesn't DLSS 3 also offer better results than the previous version of the Nvidia upscaler?
DLSS SuperResolution works on Ampere and even Turing.
DLSS FrameGeneration is the only thing currently locked to Ada and thats a software lock.

Black_Stride

Decided to do a "budget" mini-itx build that I put on a sofa table behind our couch in the family room. I purchased the following for the build;

Gigabyte Aorus Z690I Ultra Lite - ~$170
I5 12600K - ~$200
Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE White - ~$42
TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta 32GB 6000mhz CL30 DDR5 - ~$188
Kingston NV2 1tb M.2 SSD - ~$55
Cooler Master NR200P White - ~$85
EVGA 750w SFX PSU - ~$90
Radeon RX590 - Free from son, he upgraded to RX6750 for Christmas
Where did you find a 200 dollar 12600K?

Thats cheaper than most 12400s.

P.S The Kingston NV2 is a horrible SSD if you dont already have it and cant return it, spend 10 dollars more on near literally anything else.
That 10 dollars will be worth it.

Last edited:

Erebus

DLSS SuperResolution works on Ampere and even Turing.
DLSS FrameGeneration is the only thing currently locked to Ada and thats a software lock.
So in other words, DLSS 3.0 is DLSS2.4 upscaler + Frame Generation?

As I said above, I'm planning to get a 4070 Ti (that or PS5) but I'm not sure if my current PSU (650W) is up to the task. I'm reading contradicting info about the recommended PSUs, for example ASUS states 750W on their official site.

Black_Stride

So in other words, DLSS 3.0 is DLSS2.4 upscaler + Frame Generation?

As I said above, I'm planning to get a 4070 Ti (that or PS5) but I'm not sure if my current PSU (650W) is up to the task. I'm reading contradicting info about the recommended PSUs, for example ASUS states 750W on their official site.

DLSS 3 is the whole suite of SuperResolution, Reflex and FrameGeneration.
Each of those technologies has its own version numbering.
SuperResolution and Reflex work on older GPUs.
FrameGeneration is software locked to Ada.

Total power consumption when paired with a 5800X3D for the 4070Ti is pocket change.
You could get away with a 550W PSU.
Power_Doom-p.webp

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Their CPU deals are great. Getting free RAM made switching over to AM5 a lot more palatable for me.

GreatnessRD

P.S The Kingston NV2 is a horrible SSD if you dont already have it and cant return it, spend 10 dollars more on near literally anything else.
I agree that the NV2 is a shit drive, but do think it'll still be bad as just a game drive? I thought about because $100 for 2TB sounds aces for my living room rig.

Black_Stride

I agree that the NV2 is a shit drive, but do think it'll still be bad as just a game drive? I thought about because $100 for 2TB sounds aces for my living room rig.
A Crucial p3 plus is about the same price and a much much better SSD.
The NV2 is worst SSD you can buy, its literally a generic AliExpress SSD with the Kingston name pasted on.
If you are going for garbage quality then just buy a generic drive and save a few bucks....otherwise spend a little more and get a drive you will still have next year.

I think I’m ready to upgrade my i7 9700k. Is the i5-13600K still the best bang for buck? I’m a big gamer.

Please commend good memory brand 32GB) and MB

Dural

Where did you find a 200 dollar 12600K?

Thats cheaper than most 12400s.

Got the 12600K as an open box from Amazon.

The SSD is cheap enough that I don't really care, not worth my time to remove it and send it back. I have a home server that I keep everything important on, this is just a PC for my wife and kids to use and me occasionally for some gaming.

And here are some pics, you can see the dent on the front from when my son pushed it off the table. Cables look like shit, but out of sight out of mind with the side panel on.

OiR5BmK.jpg

kqbfsKu.jpg

R88nLgs.jpg

I am looking at RAM to get for my upcoming AMD system. i'll get either a 7900X3D or 7950X3D

the best amd expo i can get is 6000 cl40 RAM. i'm wanting 64GB. i know 32GB has better speeds/timings but 32GB isn't enough for me. i do want to play games on my PC but it's not a purely gaming system. there is a 6400 cl32 RAM which should give better gaming performance. probably negliable but i want to get the best RAM i can get. the thing is the 6400 cl32 kit is XMP not expo. will XMP kits work in a Ryzen (AM5) board? i've read that it will work....that it won't work. that it will work if i do this. it won't work because of that

i checked the QVL list on the motherboard site but it doesn't seem right. there is no way i can only use the RAM listed there lol.

Last edited:
I’ve been out of the GPU game too long. What do you people think the best GPU for $180-250 or so is? I don’t care about 4K or RT. I am debating between an RX6600 or Newegg has a 1660 Super for $189 or something.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I know the 4070ti got a lot of hate when it launched but got to play a few games last night on a 13700 KF 4070ti prebuilt from Best Buy that was an open box buy for $1800 and that rig was pretty damn nice for the price imo.

We played several games CP 2077, Forza Horizon 5 and some Hogwarts and a few others and that card runs damn close to my 3090 pc

I have been trying to hold off building a new 4090 PC but now really want to try gaming on that card

I know the 4070ti got a lot of hate when it launched but got to play a few games last night on a 13700 KF 4070ti prebuilt from Best Buy that was an open box buy for $1800 and that rig was pretty damn nice for the price imo.

We played several games CP 2077, Forza Horizon 5 and some Hogwarts and a few others and that card runs damn close to my 3090 pc

I have been trying to hold off building a new 4090 PC but now really want to try gaming on that card
The 4000 cards aren't bad. They are a significant improvement over 3000 cards.

Most people are pissed because of the prices/tiering/naming, and DLSS 3 exclusivity. Even at that....a 4070 Ti is about same performance as a 3090 Ti for a LOT less money and the 3090 Ti only came out about 11 months ago. a 3090 Ti had a MSRP of $2,000 and a 4070 Ti is $800. I don't care what the GPU is called but if I'm getting 3090 Ti performance for $1.2k less after less than a year that's a good deal. If i bought a 3090 Ti 11 months ago and now there was a card out with same performance for 60% less then I'd sure as shit be annoyed lol.

The 4070 Ti is a really good card. 4080 and 4090 are even better. Usually the new x80 is about the same as the previous gen x90/x90 Ti but this time the x70 Ti is that. It's literally just down one tier but it's got people mad. We could still get a 4080 Ti or a 4090 Ti. Nvidia doesn't have competition so they can do what they want but if you want the best GPUs available you gotta pay the price. People can piss and moan all they want but that's how shit works.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom