• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

i need another witcher 3 in my life

Raven117

Gold Member
Same OP. Just…. Yeah… same.

Maybe starfield will deliver.

We haven’t had a slow plodding open world in awhile where everything oozes atmosphere.

nkarafo

The Witcher 3 would be perfect if the loot wasn't as useless. If you focus on making Witcher green gear, which is very easy, all you need is materials. But every other weapon/armor that drops from monsters, even ones much higher than your level, are always vendor trash.

Also, after a certain level, the highest level Witcher gear becomes under-leveled. That means, all the trash weapons/armor that drop from mobs have higher stats and damage, but at the same time they lack the special bonuses you get from the completed Witcher gear sets. So near the end game you have to "pick your poison" when it comes to gearing, something i never had to do in the rest of the game.

The Witcher 3 would be perfect if the loot wasn't as useless. If you focus on making Witcher green gear, which is very easy, all you need is materials. But every other weapon/armor that drops from monsters, even ones much higher than your level, are always vendor trash.

Also, after a certain level, the highest level Witcher gear becomes under-leveled. That means, all the trash weapons/armor that drop from mobs have higher stats and damage, but at the same time they lack the special bonuses you get from the completed Witcher gear sets. So near the end game you have to "pick your poison" when it comes to gearing, something i never had to do in the rest of the game.
Maybe it's just me, but i think Witcher games should not focus a lot on loot. I thought of witchers as monster hunters that are just getting by with regard to finances. Maybe repairing and upgrading their existing gear with whatever they can get their hands on. Once in a while they might get some wind of some legendary gear hidden away, but those should be rare rare instances. I realise the system in Witcher 3 was contrary to what I describe above, but I think the solution is to focus less on random loot, and make gear collection rare but involved side quests

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Good news then, it's being released again!

But no, I agree. TW3 and BotW are the two games from recent years I feel that way about. We have a sequel to the latter coming pretty soon at least.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Great game, last dlc was even better. Loved every part of it.

0dS65i3.jpg

Jnla14P.jpg

KTHP9Io.png

7ktP45r.jpg

mtY3U1W.png

92LIwVE.jpg

I still haven't played the DLC, will be doing that once the next-gen patch drops. I just need to decide if I'm gonna do another full playthrough of the base game as well or just do the DLC on my finished save.

DragonNCM

Finished Witcher 3 multiple times with almost all side quest's......masterpiece.
All quests/side quests are with good story & animations, world is well crafted but sometimes empty but for 2015 game is a blast.
I hope they will rework combat for new remaster.

We all have that one game. For me it's Persona 5.
Not judging, but that's a like a boring whatsapp simulator with redundant information always being fed to you and no redeeming qualities, for me. So I really don't understand how it could be put on a pedestral, Persona 2EP/IS, Persona 3, Persona 4 are all so much better.

I finished it, but hated every minute of it after the first/second dungeon, it never picked up and everything kept being generic. Even the battle system felt barebones (rock, paper scissors) in a way prior games didn't even if they already had similar systems in. Did you play P5 Royal? I got the vibe that P5 Royal must be even worse because if there's something that P5 doesn't need is added content/text.

Witcher 3 is amazing.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Maybe it's just me, but i think Witcher games should not focus a lot on loot. I thought of witchers as monster hunters that are just getting by with regard to finances. Maybe repairing and upgrading their existing gear with whatever they can get their hands on. Once in a while they might get some wind of some legendary gear hidden away, but those should be rare rare instances. I realise the system in Witcher 3 was contrary to what I describe above, but I think the solution is to focus less on random loot, and make gear collection rare but involved side quests
CD Projekt RED has a fetish for loot, it's the same in Cyberpunk.

Remove the combat and story and The Witcher 3 is like playing as a walking trash can. The amount of shit you carry around makes no sense.

Markio128

I love The Witcher 3 as well - the story, world and characters (the Baron story is the single greatest, most impactful story in any RPG that I’ve played) are fantastic and I couldn’t be more excited to try the PS5 version in a few weeks.

And you’re also right, in that very few games are able to scratch the same itch. I also agree with the world of RDR2, however, I did get bored of the gameplay unfortunately, so I’ve never managed to complete the game - maybe a current gen upgrade could lure me back, but doubt that will happen now.

The game that triggered my imagination the most was Morrowind. It was my first experience of an open world RPG and it blew my mind.

Edit: And a shout out to Omikron on Dreamcast. The game itself has some terrible design choices at times, but I really felt part of the world and loved the atmosphere.

Edit 2!: I’d put the first two Shenmue games in this camp, of feeling part of a place and time.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

I still haven't played the DLC, will be doing that once the next-gen patch drops. I just need to decide if I'm gonna do another full playthrough of the base game as well or just do the DLC on my finished save.

DLC is basically a entire new game but shorter, its really good. I would say just replay the main game to delay it as much as possible so u have something to look forwards too. I would even say 100% the main game first, just to delay it even more. U can only experience it once for the first time and then never again. The last DLC is by far my favorite part of the game its really good.

Noe8u20.jpg

bt8mzi5.jpg

y6FSPox.jpg

16OE426.jpg

92fS4xE.jpg

fvSqyNb.jpg

bAcZ2lQ.jpg

smXhAIP.jpg

hmMrX54.jpg

Mbo0YoH.jpg

2nvWU77.jpg

9NrepMg.jpg

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Yeah, same here OP.

I remember when I used to spend months on an end playing through The Witcher trilogy, and then replaying TW3 like 3 times in a row, with base game first and then again with each subsequent expansion. I remember how excited I was about making each new discovery, how blown away I was by the quality of storytelling and the overall presentation. I was completely enthralled with that game and I wanted to know everything about the lore and backstory, which also led me back to the source and I read all the books.

The only other games/franchises that managed to grab me to that degree were KOTOR and Mass Effect, with Dragon Age to a slightly lesser extent. However, there was no other game to come out since The Witcher 3 that would manage to top it for me, or at least make an equal impression.

A lot of the times you can hear someone saying "that game ruined other games for me", and I think it's not really about how you won't be able to appreciate other games after playing that one, personal Holy Grail. It's more about how you will now always try out new games that seem to be doing something similar, and expect them to deliver the same kind of experience only to fall flat somehow. I remember being pretty excited when I first had a chance to try out Horizon Zero Dawn or Ghost of Tsushima because I heard some flattering comparisons to The Witcher 3 around the internet. But every time I was sorely disappointed and it probably made my opinion of those games much more critical than it would be if I didn't have those huge expectations for them.

I'm kinda hoping that Starfield would be the next game that I will fall in love with like that because it sounds like everything I want out of a video game on paper. I sincerely hope it will be every bit as awesome as it looks on those previews.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
You need another boring game with bad combat?
Agree with you mate, played it for many hours and it felt boring. Exploration felt meaningless and the combat very poor, both gameplay and balance wise.

Happy for the OP tho, it's cool to have a game you like so much. I don't think I've put so many many hours into a single game, aside from Dragon's Dogma which I really recommend. Doesn't have a lot of story tho, it's more like an open-world beat-em-up with RPG stuff thrown in there.

TW3 was so good it actually broke my love for gaming afterwards as everything else seemed so dull/poorly written after - I actually felt a sense of loss when it was over it was that good
I had fallen out of love with games since like 2009, bar Mario Galaxy. Witcher 3 brought me back.

stn

How about God of War (2018)? I'm almost done with it so it is fresh in my mind. The combat is very good, the story is good, and the level of detail to everything you will probably appreciate after TW3.

Sentenza

Play Gothic 2 or Risen 1.
As a side note, the total conversion mod Archolos released one year ago is every bit as good as vanilla Gothic 2 and a must play for any fan of the series.
It's more or less the Gothic 3 I always regretted NOT getting from Gothic 3.

It's a stand-alone installation that only requires to own Gothic 2 in your library (the Steam version, at least).

Last edited:

Kurotri

Not judging, but that's a like a boring whatsapp simulator with redundant information always being fed to you and no redeeming qualities, for me. So I really don't understand how it could be put on a pedestral, Persona 2EP/IS, Persona 3, Persona 4 are all so much better.

I finished it, but hated every minute of it after the first/second dungeon, it never picked up and everything kept being generic. Even the battle system felt barebones (rock, paper scissors) in a way prior games didn't even if they already had similar systems in. Did you play Golden? I got the vibe that Golden must be even worse because if there's something that P5 doesn't need is added content/text.

Witcher 3 is amazing.
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Yah I played Golden and 3 FES, they are also at the top for me. I just love them.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Yah I played Golden and 3 FES, they are also at the top for me. I just love them.
My bad, I meant P5 Royal but my brain wrote Golden instead.

I loved every Persona (minus the first one) until Persona 5 hit. Never bought the Royal edition after it was so hard for me to soldier on with the normal version.

Von Hugh

I finished it, but hated every minute of it after the first/second dungeon, it never picked up and everything kept being generic. Even the battle system felt barebones (rock, paper scissors) in a way prior games didn't even if they already had similar systems in. Did you play P5 Royal? I got the vibe that P5 Royal must be even worse because if there's something that P5 doesn't need is added content/text.

Witcher 3 is amazing.

Same here. Loved Persona 4, but Persona 5 felt worse in almost every single aspect. Couldn't even finish it.

samoilaaa

How about God of War (2018)? I'm almost done with it so it is fresh in my mind. The combat is very good, the story is good, and the level of detail to everything you will probably appreciate after TW3.
not even close , the world feels dull for me compared to the witcher , and im not a big fan of cinematic games , i hate it when the game takes control away from me and makes me watch a 5 min cutscene

Guilty_AI

A lot of people don’t like Witcher 3? I thought most people either liked it or loved it.
As an RPG its pretty shallow. Combat also isn't very good, and even the story has tons of lows. So there's plenty of reason to dislike it.

I think most of the appeal comes from the sense of adventure. A cool MC traveling around a huge world, getting involved with the locals, accompanied by with cool sights and soundtrack, etc.
Honestly you can get that from most JRPGs, but i guess TW3 is more mainstream and western friendly.

Last edited:

samoilaaa

Seems like you are a "bit" disingenuous, eh?

Which of them is a "cinematic game" again?

not at all , first of all its 13 hours of cutscenes from a 60-70 hour game at least , in god of war one third of the game is cutscenes
2nd you usually make decisions during those cutscenes or at the end that affect the story , i might return make another decision and the story changes

Rush2112

Banned
never got past the islands. way too many cutscenes with faceroll gameplay. elden ring has better gameplay and im not forced to watch a movie for every mission.

this a post that has no actual meaning , just me saying that i miss the feeling that i had when i played witcher 3 , for me its the best game ever made , i will alway remember when i first arrived at novigrad , the city was so alive , there were all kinds of people doing their own thing , i never had that feeling in a video game before , maybe when i was playing oblivion but back then i was 14 years old so alot of it was using my imagination ofc oblivion is still a great game but it looks like crap in today's standards

7 years have past and ive never played a game that was as good as witcher 3 , only 2 games got close to it , divinity original sin 2 ( this game gave me total freedom to do whatever i wanted with the npc's and the enviornments ) and ofc red dead redemption 2 , rdr 2 is critisized alot for its combat ( just like the witcher 3 ) but it was the only game that got close to giving me that feeling like i was in that world , i wasnt just a guy controlling an npc with a mouse and keyboard , i felt like i was a part of everything around me

5 years later after witcher 3 and cp2077 released , i hope that it would be at least as good as witcher 3 and unfortunately it wasnt , i didnt encounter any bugs on pc version so that wasnt the problem , it was the writing , the characters , dont get me wrong they were not awful but they were not excelent either and the world just didnt give me that feeling that i belong there

i dont know if a game as good as witcher 3 will ever release , there are some condenders that might steal 1st place for me , games like baldur's gate 3 , avowed , elder scrolls 6 , mayber even the next witcher ( or the remake of the 1st game ) , who knows

i know alot of people dont like witcher 3 , this is just a personal opinion , for me its one of the best games ever made , the only complain that i have for this game is that i cant be a badass mage that casts elemental magic and destroy everything around me , i love playing mage in games
Have you played Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning? That game has awesome mage powers.

Mr Branding

Me too man. I’ve finished this game and it’s dlc multiple times and it engrossed me into it’s world each and every time. Also a big fan of Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim and am also dying for a similar in-depth open world rpg.

Does Elden Ring fit the bill? Previously finished DS1 and BB but I’m wondering if the open world is as immersive or just a typical FromSoft level but on a larger scale.

Top Bottom