• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I need help: PSVR or Nintendo Switch?

Which should I choose?

• Nintendo Switch

Votes: 61 55.5%
  • PSVR

Votes: 38 34.5%
  • Not another poll ...

Votes: 11 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pallas

123abeb.png

kf018j.jpg

So here in the states, tax season is upon us. I’ve been mulling over what I should do with some of the cash.

I have a PS4Pro and the PSVR has really been catching my attention plus I haven’t had the opportunity to experience VR aside from my iPhone.

On the other hand, Nintendo’s Switch has a couple of games I’d love to play. Like BoTW and Smash.

So Gaf being the awesome(but often times split) community I ask for your opinions because as gamers I value your opinion highly when it comes to gaming and things related to it.

As a ending note, I am leaning toward PSVR just because the technology is fascinating but ... Switch is tempting.

lingpanda

PSVR will give an instant adreline rush but I expect it to wear off fast. Pick up a Switch and try getting the PSVR at a good discount.

Verdanth

It really depends what you're looking for OP.

If you want to play on the go, the Switch is the choice.

If you want to experience something different and refreshing, go PSVR. You currently have a nice library of games: Beat Saber, Astro Bot, Resident Evil 7, Tumble, Moss, Dreams in a near future.

I have both and if you're looking to buy now, I'd go PSVR, specially because sooner or later the Switch is going to have a hardware review.

Last edited:

BrettWeir

It really depends what you're looking for OP.

If you want to play on the go, the Switch is the choice.

If you want to experience something different and refreshing, go PSVR. You currently have a nice library of games: Beat Saber, Astro Boat, Resident Evil 7, Tumble, Moss, Dreams in a near future.

I have both and if you're looking to buy now, I'd go PSVR, specially because sooner or later the Switch is going to have an hardware review.

This. Completely two different experiences. Do you want games on the go? Kinda hard to do with PSVR. Do you want a new experience in gaming (unless you have a Vive or Oculus)? Kinda hard to do with Switch.

But......I have owned and sold both. I found both to be lackluster. PSVR due to owning a Vive, and Switch due to lack of shit I actually had fun with.

Last edited:
PSVR is very limited. It's not a replacement for an entire system, it's an addon with a very specific function. Switch will give you a much wider variety of experiences.

Last edited:

zenspider

A lot of good discussion in a previous thread: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/psvr-or-switch.1469562/

My cute turn of phrase from the previous thread was "do you want to be more immersed, or immersed more often?"

My PSVR experiences have been incredible, but it's impossible to underestimate the value of the immediacy Switch provides, from portability, flexibility, generally fast loading and saving, and the super-fast UI. I haven't had this much playtime since I was an unemployed twenty year-old.

Vawn

Banned
I'd say apples and oranges, but apples and oranges are much more comparable than PSVR and Switch.

PSVR or Switch depends on a lot of things. Apples, on the other hand, are always superior to oranges.

EDMIX

I mean...really depends.

PSVR has a lot of solid titles. Like Doom, Skyrim, Resident Evil 7 to name a few, where Switch you have a few, but you are also getting it in a method you already understand ie on tv or portable. Only with PS VR are you actually getting something massively different.

If you have PS Plus, consider you might already have a few VR compatible games (I think RIGS was free before), so you might just need PSVR itself, used at like 220, you can go in with just PS Plus games vs Switch where you are spending used maybe 240-250, on top of any top game ie Nintendo published at a high price. (don't get me started on those games prices for Switch lol)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MS6MO77/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY7GHKJ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

So its up to you. I'm waiting for Animal Crossing to buy a Switch.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I own a Switch. I'm a former PS VR owner and I'll rebuy it again in a few years (but not until I've bought a PS4 Pro).

Get PS VR. The library has a lot of variety now. I bought mine pretty close to when it launched and I enjoyed the handful of titles that I owned for it, but for me it was too much of a hassle to set up for a small handful of games. If I had held on to it for another year because that is when the flood of worthwhile PS VR started to hit the PSN store.

Switch is a great system too. It's the purest game system since the 16-bit era. The speed of the UI and game loading puts most other consoles to shame. To move seamlessly between handheld or TV viewing is a lot more convenient than you might at first imagine.

Grinchy

Banned
The Switch is really sweet, but you need to really like the main releases for it to be worth it because there aren't really a lot of them and the 3rd party support is obviously going to be limited. If you are a huge Smash fiend, that might justify the entire cost of the system on its own. I think Mario Rabbids is still my favorite Switch game.

Look at the releases for it and really ask yourself if you think they actually appeal to you. Something like Octopath Traveler seemed like it appealed to me, but I ended up not liking it at all. It is a very limited and repetitive game with poor storytelling, which is exactly what an old-style JRPG would need to get right first. I would have known this if I hadn't tried to go in blind.

Zelda is really cool and fun for a while until I hit a point where I no longer wanted to play it at all. Mario Odyssey is fun as well, but its average level design and overabundance of moon pieces means I was bored before I could really go for the extra content after beating it. Mario Tennis was fun until the online died for Doubles. Without going through the whole list, I guess my point is that the games can be short-lived if you're not a huge Nintendo fan.

120v

switch has about three more years left in it. you still have time there

psvr is now or never, pretty much. it's still impressive tech but it'll be dinosaur stuff sooner than later, soak it up now

Last edited:
Owning both, I'm not sure which one I'd pick over the other one. I really like PSVR, and it still blows me away every time I put on the helmet, but it's not a mature system yet. There's something amazing about being able to walk around Skyrim, but at the same time, it is unnecessarily janky to do so. The Move controllers are not up to the task of moving you through 3D space. Beat Saber is addictive like crack, but only has a handful of songs. It's like everything the PSVR gives comes with an asterisks. But, like I said, it blows me away and I love it.

The Switch is also amazing. It has some really great games for it - the best games, in fact. Breath of the Wild is one of the best games I've ever played, and if it was the only game on the Switch, I'd still recommend getting one just for it. And the Switch does more what my kind of lifestyle demands. I play games with my family, so split screen and local multiplayer (we have two Switches) is better than playing online games with strangers. Being able to play Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate with someone in the same room is way, way, way more fun than Monster Hunter World online. And with Sony now censoring anything even remotely anime-looking, the Switch is now my go to console for Japanese games. Hell, I think we'll probably end up with a third Switch at some point.

I think ultimately, I'd go with the PSVR. Not because I think it is better than the Switch, but because it is a one of a kind gaming experience that brings me back to playing Mario 64 for the first time. There's just this sense that you are in on the ground floor of something amazing, and while it isn't there yet, it is incredibly cool to be a part of it while it is growing up. VR isn't the future of gaming, but it has a future in gaming, and I just enjoy looking forward to what gaming will one day be rather than looking back in regret that the best days of gaming are behind us. The Switch is a great machine but PSVR is optimism that I thought I no longer had.

onQ123

I would trust that Nintendo will support Switch with more games vs what you will get with PSVR in the next few years.

Pallas

Thanks everyone. I’m still leading toward the PSVR and may just eventually get both whenever Nintendo releases the rumored revision. I’ve always wanted to try VR and PSVR seems like the cheapest solution to deliver the right experience.

I notice there are two versions of PSVR, is the newer one that much better than the launch version?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yeah, it depends what type games you are in to. For me simply Switch has more games I want to play.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Switch.

PS VR is not worth the money. If you're gonna get into VR then do it right and build a PC and get a Vive/Rift. plus there are far more games/apps on PC for VR.

get yourself a Switch.

switch has about three more years left in it. you still have time there

psvr is now or never, pretty much. it's still impressive tech but it'll be dinosaur stuff sooner than later, soak it up now
wtf. the switch will not be gone in three years. are you crazy?

yeah you must be...the PS VR won't become a dinosaur. it was a dinosaur at launch. if you think that kind of VR is acceptable then...i feel sorry for you.

Last edited:

Zannegan

Despite being excited about VR as a medium, I'm waiting to see what the gen 2 PSVR looks like next year before jumping in. The retrofitted Move controllers for Gen 1 just don't sit well with me, and I'd prefer a wireless headset (though that's not a dealbreaker).

Plus, in terms of value for dollar, I can't justify picking up a Pro and the headset (I know you CAN play VR games on the base PS4) when I know a new console is a year out, whereas the Switch revision has a decent chance of being a side-grade or downgrade a la the 2DS. I was tempted by some of the Christmas sales though.

You do you though. Let us know how the PSVR experience is for you.

Grinchy

Banned
Thanks everyone. I’m still leading toward the PSVR and may just eventually get both whenever Nintendo releases the rumored revision. I’ve always wanted to try VR and PSVR seems like the cheapest solution to deliver the right experience.

I notice there are two versions of PSVR, is the newer one that much better than the launch version?
The biggest difference is that the 2nd version can pass through HDR to your TV and the first version cannot. The 2nd version also has a much better cabling - the cable that goes to the headset is very thin and light and you can also route earbuds through the headset. The hardware itself is the same otherwise.

The only reason to get the first version is if you can save a lot of money by doing so and don't have a TV with HDR.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I'd personally go for PSVR.
It's a completely new experience and has built up quite a nice catalog of games at this point.

Plus there's heavy rumours that some new Switch hardware is on the horizon and with Nintendo it's inevitable that they will do a hardware refresh so I'd wait for that.

Switch.

PS VR is not worth the money. If you're gonna get into VR then do it right and build a PC and get a Vive/Rift.

I disagree with this.

PSVR is quite affordable and has a number of great exclusives that make it worth getting alongside (or arguably even ahead of) PCVR despite being technically inferior.

Last edited:
Switch.

PS VR is not worth the money. If you're gonna get into VR then do it right and build a PC and get a Vive/Rift. plus there are far more games/apps on PC for VR.

get yourself a Switch.

wtf. the switch will not be gone in three years. are you crazy?

yeah you must be...the PS VR won't become a dinosaur. it was a dinosaur at launch. if you think that kind of VR is acceptable then...i feel sorry for you.

This is so bullshit it's not even funny. More so when you compare the budgets required for the two, it cannot be taken seriously.

I feel sorry for you having to troll PSVR instead of enjoying it.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
As long as you don't go in with too great expectations of the PSVR -- go for it. It's a fresh experience, but it's far from primetime. Switch, well, it's the current nintendo, and if you like any of their titles (and some of the unique 3rd parties, like Mario x Rabbids) -- it's guaranteed fun, at home or on the go.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

PSVR no doubt. It's like gaming is new again, where devs are experimenting with new types of games, like the wild west days back in the early 80's. Sure not everything can be a winner but playing it safe is boring.

I'd say go for a Switch first only if you have friends that come over to your house very often and have a blast playing local multiplayer with Mario Kart, Smash, etc. That's always been Nintendo's true strength.

TLZ

Banned
PSVR will give an instant adreline rush but I expect it to wear off fast. Pick up a Switch and try getting the PSVR at a good discount.
This. But also you'd might want to wait til we find out more about the new Switch revision rumor that's supposed to be releasing this year.

Last edited:

The Shepard

I own both a psvr and the switch and I'd wait on vr till next generation where I'm hoping it finds its feet. Vr is amazing on your first experience.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I had a PSVR and sold it after a couple weeks. It’s neat technology but it left me convinced that VR is best suited for short, arcade-like novelty experiences.

Didn’t help that any game with lots of fast motion (e.g. Battlezone and Drive Club) made me sick as hell after a few minutes. And this is coming from someone who’s never had a problem with rollercoasters, flying, etc

Switch is a cool system with a bunch of excellent games. PSVR collects dust once the novelty factor wears off. That’s my 2 cents.

lynux3

I think you need to look at the library of both systems. Both of them offer great exclusives and one is portable even. I have both and it's a toss up for me... I loved my Switch when I first got it, but lately it's been sitting around doing nothing after going through the usual Nintendo games we see all the time. Initially it's amazing to bring it around and use it whenever, but that wore off pretty quickly. The screen isn't good either so I've completely given up taking it anywhere and now just leave it docked at home. Also, get ready to spend an additional $60~ or so for the Pro controller because the joy-cons are one of the worst controllers I've ever used.

I love my PSVR though, and it has had some amazing experiences that no portable or traditional console can provide at an affordable price point. There also seems to be a lot of support around PSVR at the moment too so I don't think it's going to end up like Kinect. Really hard to choose, but at the moment I'm leaning towards PSVR.

Last edited:

Antoon

Banned
PS VR has barely any games worth owning, unless youre into tech demos and mini games that is.

Last edited:
I agree with this. I've owned a PSVR twice, and returned it twice. This was not in any way related to the quality of the product or the games (the second time).

The first time was when it basically first launched and the problem was the amount of games available. I had fun with Job Simulator and a couple others but as soon as I had finished those titles within a few days I didn't have anything to do. The second time was different; there were plenty of games available and plenty of future titles coming out but I found some of the novelty wore off after about two weeks and it just sort of sat there. After getting into minimalism awhile back I just didn't see myself playing it enough to keep it and spending a bunch of money on the games which I didn't have at the time. I still want one and maybe I'll get one in the future when it gets cheap (<$200).

Though that being said I've also gone through times with the Switch where I questioned why I bought the thing in the first place.

Personally I'd go with VR, it's a different and unique enough experience to warrant the purchase.. switch? It's Nintendo games.. But mobile.. you've been there and done that.

Enjay

Banned
You shouldn't get either. Both are gonna feel great until you end the only 2 good games they each have.

Last edited:
I would definitely go with the PSVR. By now there are so many great games and usually a lot of them are really cheap.

My personal favorites are:

Farpoint
Arizona Sunshine
Astro Bot
Robinson: The Journey
Ace Combat
Gran Turismo Sport
Superhot VR
Resident Evil VII
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
Persistence
Doom VFR

And there are a lot more games that I own but didn't get around to play yet.
Everyone who says there are no games for PSVR is definitely wrong. Of course these are no 15+hrs games but still they are really great games.

PocoJoe

Banned
PSVR were the biggest "wow" after first 3d games I saw, but it made me so sick that I just could not use it. It felt so immersive to be in RE7 and feel like i could touch the characters. without nausea I would buy it instantly. (i borrowed it from a friend)

switch is kind of dissapointment to me, lack of games is tragic. Yes there are games, lot of them but good ones that I like are rare. Zelda and xenoblade are kind of only ones so far. Rest have been typical nintendo "childish colourful games with no depth".

Still nice but way too expensive for a handheld, and too weak for many modern games. If nintendo exclusives are your thing, then it is a good choice.

Saruhashi

Banned
So here in the states, tax season is upon us. I’ve been mulling over what I should do with some of the cash.

I have a PS4Pro and the PSVR has really been catching my attention plus I haven’t had the opportunity to experience VR aside from my iPhone.

On the other hand, Nintendo’s Switch has a couple of games I’d love to play. Like BoTW and Smash.

So Gaf being the awesome(but often times split) community I ask for your opinions because as gamers I value your opinion highly when it comes to gaming and things related to it.

As a ending note, I am leaning toward PSVR just because the technology is fascinating but ... Switch is tempting.

I'll be honest here. I own both but my preference would be Nintendo Switch.

For anyone else though I think it really comes down to what kind of gamer you are and how you intend to use the system you choose.

For VR you are looking at an immersive experience. You're going to be setting it up and settling in for a session where you don't want interruptions.
As far as games are concerned you are looking at shorter but, again, way more immersive experiences.
People will rave about AstroBot but you will be done with it quickly. 8 hours at most.
Moss is another one that's wonderful but very very short.
On the other hand it's a good thing to "show off" to friends etc if you are into that.

For Switch you are probably looking at the exclusive games and the portable functionality.
If you already have a PS4 Pro then you already have a top tier home console experience right there.
The only thing you might be missing is the games that are only playable on Switch. Some of these games are top tier also,
Of course the Switch offers gaming on the go, or on vacation, or on the plane or wherever so you are looking at some amazing games that you can play anywhere, any time.

So consider a game like RDR2. It's not the kind of game you can just put on for 30 mins and have a quick game and then drop it again. It's immersive and really needs your time and attention. VR is kind of like that. You need to devote time and space to it to really enjoy.

Then consider something like Dead Cells. You can pick it up and put it down since runs will often be short and not necessarily super intensive or demanding of focus. Switch is kind of more like that. A more casual and "loose" experience.

Personally, for me, Switch is better. I spend more time with it. I have more fun with it. I think the available games suit the platform and some of those games are all time greats with easily 100 hours of potential gameplay time.

Both have downsides. I find the Joy-cons to be a bit "meh" and the library on Switch isn't exactly full of games. On the other hand VR could have you lying on the floor after 30 minutes wondering if you might spew your guts up.

Depends on what you really intend to get out of your purchase.
I can say Rez Infinite, Thumper and Tetris Effect are replayable and awesome VR experiences.
I can also say that Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey are unmatched as truly world class video games.
Either way you are going to be getting something good.

StormCell

Given just how high the price tag is for PS VR, I have a hard time recommending it, but I think I am. Switch is brilliant, however it's true advantage is taking games with you when you have to leave your TV. I also expect a hardware revision for Switch, so that can either mean picking up the current model at a good discount later this year or getting the improved hardware instead.

Frankly, I can think of other, better things to drop $350 on besides PSVR.

I own both and am a strong supporter of both. I've had my Switch since launch and have had a blast with Zelda Breath of the Wild, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and most recently Mario Party. You can't go wrong with a Nintendo console, all your first party fav's will be there (eventually)

I've had my PSVR since last summer and for me a gamer of 30 yrs, its been the biggest leap in gaming in our lifetime. There are plenty of great games Astrobot Rescue Mission, Superhot VR, Moss, Resident Evil 7, Gran Turismo, Firewall Zero Hour, Arizona Sunshine, Skyrim, RIGS, Job Simulator, Tetris Effect, Thumper and the recently released Ace Combat 7 VR missions. The best part is there are 3 really big games due to land in 2019 Vacation Simulator (sequel to Job Simulator) Blood & Truth (the full game inspired by the tech demo London Heist - which you'll currently find on the PlayStation VR Worlds disc) and the best of the bunch Dreams - from Media Molecule same team who brought us Little Big Planet, Dreams is liked an amped up LBP and the best part is, it supports VR creation from users.

You can't go wrong with either but in my opinion, you need both and there are plenty of good deals it seems for the PSVR as Sony continues to push the headsets to no doubt expand their install base when the PSVR2 launches.

Sorry, but most people seem to prefer Astro Bot over any other platformer this generation. There have been many polls showing Astro Bot's popularity.

VS Mario Galaxy 1 and 2? That's going to be much more divided. Who knows, but this generation Astro Bot takes the cake as Mario Odyssey while good, lacks the cohesive level design of past titles. It's the best movement in the series, but doesn't live up in other areas such as being too much of a collect-a-thon, and not having enough variety in general.

PS VR has barely any games worth owning, unless youre into tech demos and mini games that is.
You've barely looked. Astro Bot, RE7, Wipeout, Firewall Zero Hour are examples of full games.

Last edited:

Ramzy

You're comparing an accessory for your already functional and worthwhile console (PS4), to an entirely separate console that grants you,

1. Access to dozens of first party quality Nintendo games.
2. Hundreds of indie games.
3. Portable gaming (if you're into that).

I'm struggling to find a way of properly comparing the two products. Do you want to play first party Nintendo titles like Breath of The Wild and Super Mario Odyssey? Are you interested in indie games? Do you take the train/bus to work or find yourself sitting around with time to kill out of the house? Get the Switch.... Otherwise, idk, go get the PSVR I guess?

Compared to games like BoTW and SMO, I very much doubt you'll get hundreds of hours of enjoyment out of Beat Saber, Batman Arkham Point and Click Adventure, or the dozens of other tech demo-esque so called "games" on PSVR.

Last edited:

trikster40

My vote is for PSVR. It really is a new experience that you just can’t get anywhere else. I think I have over 80 VR titles and I have loved the majority of them. Games that would be forgotten in flat are amazing in VR.

I have both, and my Switch gathers dust. It just doesn’t fit my lifestyle right now. I love it for vacations and trips, but most of the time I’m home, I’m on my PS4.

Wonko_C

Why do people like to refer to indie games as "tech demos"? every platform has indie games but VR is the only platform with this weird phenomena.

Makariel

tenor.gif

PSVR is great! Since I bought it over black friday I've not been playing any flatscreen games. Great start: Astrobot, Beat Saber, Red Matter, Mage's Tale and... Resident Evil 7... if you dare. I've heard much good about Superhot VR and if you're into multiplayer shooter get Firewall Zero Hour with the aim controller. You can also get Farpoint if you have the aim controller, but don't get the controller just for Farpoint.

And yes, AstroBot is amazing, it got even me to enjoy a platformer, and I really dislike this genre.

...or you just get a switch and play the same boring games you already played many times before, just on the switch this time :p

Last edited:
I haven't actually weighed in yet.

I've enjoyed my Switch for sure, but it's mostly been BOTW and Splatoon 2 that were enjoyable. Though I never really smiled much during these games, which are the highlights of my library. They are fun, but not causing me to gleam with delight.

VR on the other hand has me smiling really often. There is going to be less games overall, and certainly less content in games, but the actual minute by minute gameplay is much more fresh and honestly more fun. And in the online department, Switch is really lacking whereas PSVR is (among other VR platforms) the pinnacle of multiplayer gaming without question - because of the social aspect with player-driven avatars.

So I would recommend PSVR more so than a Switch. It's also a nice bonus that it's cheaper.

Last edited:
Top Bottom