• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I never saw so much interest in SSD since PS5 reveal !

ethomaz

Banned
How many FPS on HDD vs SSD?
If not at least 10x difference - it was not built for SSD.
While it was no build to take faulty advantage of SSD like PS5 games... it still take some advantage.

The average framerate/performance double when you move from HDD to SSD.

CJY

Banned
The simplest way to know people are now exaggerating the ssd importance is to just think back before the reveals... nobody was really arguing ssd speeds. Now? Yeah thats all that matters. Seems a bit disingenuous.
Get out of here with that shite, I made this thread back in Dec:

Don’t worry the Xbox x pro will be better in everything than the ps5 pro , again, so Xbox fans will have a lot to talk about.

We still don’t even have proper CPU&GPU ps5 specifications cause Cerny forgot to provide us with a clock speed range, only that «most of the time» the clock speeds will approach the max theoretical clock speeds.

Again? 🤣😳

FPS were always better on PS4 pro than XBOX X since MS always targeted the highest resolution. Check DF. Seems you're the one that worries to rewrite simple facts. 🙈

wolffy71

Banned
Get out of here with that shite, I made this thread back in Dec:

Thats ur proof? One thread, compared to how many about the other aspects of the systems. Get out of here with that shite.

He said "nobody was really arguing". Keep up dingus.
He didn't say "nobody", he said "nobody was really", that "really" is important to disseminating context in the English language.

He clearly meant talk was sparse, not that literally no one was discussing it. You can't handle me, stop trying.

CJY

Banned
He didn't say "nobody", he said "nobody was really", that "really" is important to disseminating context in the English language.

He clearly meant talk was sparse, not that literally no one was discussing it. You can't handle me, stop trying.
Can't handle you? Who would want to? lol

I've noticed your threads in the past. They are literally comedy gold, but I would have never said English is your strong suit. Keep trying though anyway. Always good for a laugh and a snicker.

And SSD doesn't matter eh? It's clear that's the differentiator next gen, but PS5's is better and double the speed. The only true next-gen SSD solution.
The SSD does matter, greatly, but what matters more is how it interfaces with the rest of the system and what is driving it from the beginning to the end of the pipeline.

You need to understand this.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Doing a random google check for the fastest PC internal 1 TB SSD, I found a 5 gb/s model.

Goes for $230 US, and it's not even as good as the PS5 SSD. The more I think of it, PS5 might be closer to $500 after all. I was thinking $400.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
The SSD does matter, greatly, but what matters more is how it interfaces with the rest of the system and what is driving it from the beginning to the end of the pipeline.

You need to understand this.
I absolutely do understand this. And PS5's SSD IO subsystem is far superior, more custom, less bottlenecks. MS's solution stinks of a drop-in replacement for a HDD with some cobbled-together buzzwords and spin to make it seem more advanced to fanboys.

And SSD doesn't matter eh? It's clear that's the differentiator next gen, but PS5's is better and double the speed. The only true next-gen SSD solution.
More than double. Consistency please. 2.25x faster. Truly next gen indeed and I hope the trade-off was worth it to go with an 18% weaker gpu.

I absolutely do understand this. And PS5's SSD IO subsystem is far superior, more custom, less bottlenecks. MS's solution stinks of a drop-in replacement for a HDD with some cobbled-together buzzwords and spin to make it seem more advanced to fanboys.
You don't know that, this is getting really weak.

CJY

Banned
More than double. Consistency please. 2.25x faster. Truly next gen indeed and I hope the trade-off was worth it to go with an 18% weaker gpu.
I'd take the better SSD any day of the week, because a little bit more Flops means nothing, but that's just me.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'd take the better SSD any day of the week, because a little bit more Flops means nothing, but that's just me.
I'd rather take a bit more everything and give up some SSD speed.

SeX has an SSD too.

You better pray that extra 3.1 gb/s SSD speed works miracles.

Paracelsus

6ZyHC86.png

You go ask any sane man walking the earth if they would trade the 2080 Super and a generic ass SSD for a 2070 Super and nvme.
Let me know after you're done. Remember: ask sane people.
This is really familiar to me, it's literally what people here used to say when the gpu for PS3 was revealed: CELL is so fascinating, it's totally gonna make up for that lousy gpu.

CJY

Banned
I'd rather take a bit more everything and give up some SSD speed.

SeX has an SSD too.

You better pray that extra 3.1 gb/s SSD speed works miracles.
The speed isn't something that I'm all that interested in to be honest, it's just one factor. I'm more interesting in how Cerny approached the design of the system as a whole. I'm sure everybody will be happy with their system of choice and with the games, but I'm just vastly more impressed with Cerny's vision for the future of gaming.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
6ZyHC86.png

You go ask any sane man walking the earth if they would trade the 2080 Super and a generic ass SSD for a 2070 Super and nvme.
This is really familiar to me, it's literally what people here used to say when the gpu for PS3 was revealed: CELL is so fascinating, it's totally gonna make up for that lousy gpu.
Who knew a 3.1 gb/s SSD speed advantage would be the be all and end all for next gen gaming.

You'd think some Tempest 3D Audio would be thrown into the mix, but not even that is worth bringing up.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Probably because about 90% of them now don't need to exist and are merely a function of railroading a community to make something appear better or more important than it actually is.

Says the person who, in a thread trying to calm the console warring, took part in yet another hardcore Xbox fans pile on / drive by trolling :rolleyes:.
Of course you have an issue seeing the threads created to downplay PS5 features? Or the ones posting MS marketing materials in multiple threads straight?

CJY

Banned
6ZyHC86.png

In fairness, I wouldn't really be the right person to judge a person's sanity, you'd need a professional for that, but if you were to ask me, I'd take the NVMe because a few extra Flops doesn't mean anything to me. I deal in large files all day long and the extra speed there means a lot.

I'd take an AMD SSG over an Nvidia all day long too, and what's fascinating to me is how Sony's solution seems to mimic that cards capability far more than what MS is trying to do.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Who knew a 3.1 gb/s SSD speed advantage would be the be all and end all for next gen gaming.

You'd think some Tempest 3D Audio would be thrown into the mix, but not even that is worth bringing up.

Just because when Xbox has an advantage the avg hardcore Xbox fan starts shouting “MoNster! Beast! B E A S T! Sony is a joke!!!” some of them may be thinking everyone else means to shout the same thing when they are analysing the strengths of a competing console.

If you are able to see the middle ground from 640 KB is all the memory you need... I mean anything above Xbox SSD’s speed is a waste and everything below it would be trash (think about why the SSD is so good on XSX vs Xbox One and lo and behold a large jump in speed brings new possibilities and techniques... oh but well 2x that speed is now only just doing the same but a tiny bit faster?!?), is this the level of discourse?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Pure gold.

• LOL
Reactions: CJY

VFXVeteran

Banned
Also YES I know that HZD is coming to PC but, that doesn't mean every single exclusive will as well. Also from what I have seen with PS5's SSD, I could see 1st party games having trouble with the PC space.

That's false. PC will get more exclusives and I don't think SSD on PS will matter at all. The PC versions will be the de facto version to have just like it is with the Xbox exclusives.

faster data processing is like having a good personality when dating. its a plus but not a necessity. no girl is gonna pick a guy with a good personality with a narrow pencil of a penis when they can go with a guy with a 12 inch monster with enough bandwidth/girth to satisfy them.

Penile girth? Are you from an incel forum? Only incels talk like that.

ethomaz

Banned
Doing a random google check for the fastest PC internal 1 TB SSD, I found a 5 gb/s model.

Goes for $230 US, and it's not even as good as the PS5 SSD. The more I think of it, PS5 might be closer to $500 after all. I was thinking $400.

PS5’s SSD from the patent uses cheaper SRAM modules.
This SSD uses expensive DRAM modules.

BTW the price you listed is the consumer price... how much these SSDs costs to Gigabyte?

Last edited:

Goliathy

Banned
The simplest way to know people are now exaggerating the ssd importance is to just think back before the reveals... nobody was really arguing ssd speeds. Now? Yeah thats all that matters. Seems a bit disingenuous.

back then TFLOPS were much more important, like 13TFLOPS was the most important thing, and now? Tflops don’t mean anything at all.

Don't @ me with rubbish mang. I don't care about XSX SSD solution, it's rubbish and thrown-together in a slap-dash manner. Good marketing though, I give them that.
You don't care because the advantage you thought you had to argue with is bit by bit escaping you.

Top Bottom