• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I ordered me Wild Arms 2

WA2 was one of my early RPGs that I can distinctly remember "hitting the wall" before my child's brain developed enough to "break through." And it's a very good RPG, though it does carry some anime-esque cliches, though thankfully in a style that is unusually fresh for a turn-based RPG (the wild west stylization is excellent). Be prepared, the visuals and battle system designs are painfully dated and were a struggle for me even at the time in late 90s.

Its hallmark, which I can't recall many other games of its ilk doing, is building much of its free-roam elements around puzzles in a systematic way. Whenever you go to towns and dungeons, there are things to uncover by rotating the camera and examining spaces from all angles, which lines up with the experimentation many developers were doing with 3D worlds at the time.

All in all, I hold WA2 in high regard and consider it one of the best PS1 JRPGs. If you have the patience for it, I'm convinced you'll find much to appreciate.

Krathoon

It is getting rare to find a CIB copy. I found one from a Canadian seller. It seems like people tend to lose their manuals in their copies.

sublimit

Banned
Never played the second one only a bit of 1 and 3 (the remaster). I hope you like it.

How much did you pay for it?

PhaseJump

Banned
It's a solid followup to the first Wild ARMs. Probably the best in the series. 3 is arguable too. You can buy the first 3 games on the PSN to play them on PS3 and PS4.
They were great when they were new.

The only real stinker in the series is WIld ARMs 4, which limited the regular gameplay and changed up the battle system. Wild ARMs 5 used the new battle system, but it was a much better and more traditional game. Stuck on PS2 with a limited release. Massive shame.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
It was a little pricey. $64. There are cheaper copies, but they don't have manuals. It is starting to get rare.
Sounds like a fair price to me. But you're right PS1 games in good condition with manual included are starting to get rare and pricey.

I should stop buying games that were released comparetively "recently" and focus more on the old ones i really wantbefore they become untouchable.

Kuranghi

Everytime, without fail that I read or hear about "Wild Arms 1/2" I immediately think of Wild Metal Country and think I loved that one! Then I realise but I never manage to look up Wild Arms afterwards, well not this time!

Wild Metal Country rocks too if you haven't heard of it. I'm about to set it up to play with dual joysticks (hopefully it works). LITERAL tank controls lol.

edit - bad news, its locked to 20fps on an engine level, so I managed the first level before I vomited all over myself from motion sickness lol

Last edited:

Quasicat

It's a solid followup to the first Wild ARMs. Probably the best in the series. 3 is arguable too. You can buy the first 3 games on the PSN to play them on PS3 and PS4.

Unfortunately, this is one of the many reasons why I still have my PS3 hooked up and still play it. You can only play the PS1 games purchased through PSN on PS3. I know it would be possible on PS4 or PS5, but Sony thinks people do not play old games. 😢

*Nightwing

Great series and hope you enjoy as much as I did. It’s shorter than Grandia and the western theme might be an acquired taste but still a great jrpg in my book but nothing compares to Grandia

Ah, I hope that will not be frustrating.
It's mostly fine but it reads like a machine translation if you're familiar with them, it gets bad when it gets in the way of actual gameplay in one of the puzzles for example the hints are translated wrong so i advise to use a guide.

Last edited:

saintjules

While I don't think it had the same magic as the first one in the series, it was one of the few JRPGs to which I actually liked a sequel for.

Seems to be a trend in the earlier days. I enjoyed the original installments to JRPGs, but then the sequels were not 100% spot on for me. Such examples were:

Grandia
Legend of Legaia
Suikoden
Wild Arms

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I loved Wild Arms 2, but the translation is easily the worst part of the game. You have to do some serious reading between the lines to make sense of the plot.

If this gets a retranslation (or even glance over by a professional English editor) it'll be an instant re-buy for me.

Belmonte

At the time I didn't like how they changed the 2D backgrounds to 3D. Felt cheaper. And I liked WA1 combat SD models better also. But looking it now I find surprisingly charming.

The only real stinker in the series is WIld ARMs 4, which limited the regular gameplay and changed up the battle system. Wild ARMs 5 used the new battle system, but it was a much better and more traditional game. Stuck on PS2 with a limited release. Massive shame.
Since when can you play ps1 games on ps4? That was always ps3/vita, ps4 never got a ps1 emulator, unless something changed in the last year and I wasn't paying attention.

Pallas

Great game, arguably the best in the series, the ending gets a bit weird but overall it’s great with some very memorable characters like Kanon.

Unfortunately, this is one of the many reasons why I still have my PS3 hooked up and still play it. You can only play the PS1 games purchased through PSN on PS3. I know it would be possible on PS4 or PS5, but Sony thinks people do not play old games. 😢

It’s so disappointing as well... I’d probably use my PS4 a ton more if it had access to the same store that the PS3 does. 😢

Krathoon

They got some rare games on the PS3 store. Klonoa and Tomba 1 and 2 are on there.

Last edited:

Angelcurio

To put it simply, i still use the main intro song as my cell phone ring tone. Really good RPG series with a Wild West tone, and a killer soundtrack. Its one of the games that makes me hate the fact that Sony still hasn't given us BC all the way through PS1 games.

Animagic

Banned
I ordered Wild Arms 2 on eBay. It look like it has a 3D engine with 2D sprites similar to Grandia. It looks to be a long game. People seem to like it. Anyone have some stories about it?
I love it. enjoy the engrish. It gives it even more charm somehow.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Buy it on PSN before it disappears from the collection forever.. $5.99 USD

Last edited:

Krathoon

Buy it on PSN before it disappears from the collection forever.. $5.99 USD

I notice it is easier to look up the PSOne Classics from a browser. I might get Resident Evil 3. That one is getting expensive.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I notice it is easier to look up the PSOne Classics from a browser. I might get Resident Evil 3. That one is getting expensive.
5-7 years ago it was cheapest of the trio on PS1. At least from what I remember. I’ve had them on PSN for ages now. They’re well worth picking up and playing on your Vita. Especially Parasite Eve 1 & 2. The whole lot of Squaresoft and Konami JRPGs. They’re super affordable and you can fit them on a memory card for later even. Wild Arms 1 & 2 and Suikoden 1 & 2.

Last edited:
Top Bottom