• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I played all the GBA and DS Vanias back to back

SantaC

I started Circle of the Moon in October and just finished Order of Ecclesia. What a great ride it was and IGA really is the master of the concept. Even though some of these games are 20 years old it is still worth it. The magic is there.

i gotta though say that there is no clear winner, all these six games have their own weaknesses and strengths. Here is a short breakdown of the games:

-Best atmosphere: Circle of the Moon
-Best level design: Dawn of Sorrow
-Best controls: Order of Ecclesia
-Best music: Portrait of Ruin
-Best story: They're all pretty bad, but it's not why you play these games. I am thinking Order of Ecclesia
-Best challenge: Order of Ecclesia
-Best battle system: Dawn of Sorrow. Valmanway + Devil soul = instant win
-Best bosses: Aria of Sorrow
-Best gameplay: Order of Ecclesia

And no, I did not hate Harmony of Dissonance. It's a solid entry and the dual castle is interesting.

I am finding most of these games better than Bloodstained Ritual of the Night.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Yeah. These games all hold up well. Waiting for my steamdeck to run through them again.

I have to agree about them being better than Bloodstained too. Something about the graphical style of that game just makes it feel off to me. Still solid tho and I will buy his next game sight unseen.

SantaC

Yeah. These games all hold up well. Waiting for my steamdeck to run through them again.

I have to agree about them being better than Bloodstained too. Something about the graphical style of that game just makes it feel off to me. Still solid tho and I will buy his next game sight unseen.
Yeah the graphic style in RotN is barf. Also the castle could been bigger and better.

Saber

Gold Member
Best atmosphere Circle of Moon? I know it's your opinion, but nah. Circle of Moon is probably the weakest Castlevania game in terms of absolutelly everything. Except perhaps for the soundtrack.

BlakeofT

Best atmosphere Circle of Moon? I know it's your opinion, but nah. Circle of Moon is probably the weakest Castlevania game in terms of absolutelly everything. Except perhaps for the soundtrack.
I haven't played Circle of the Moon in a long long time, but I'll always love it for being the one good launch game for the GBA. Man I couldn't sleep the night before the GBA came out because I was so excited. Really happy there was something worth playing.

Saber

Gold Member
I haven't played Circle of the Moon in a long long time, but I'll always love it for being the one good launch game for the GBA. Man I couldn't sleep the night before the GBA came out because I was so excited. Really happy there was something worth playing.

Cool I guess? Used to play alot of Castlevanias for GBA back at the time. Still play some of them occasionally nowadays though, but Circle of Moon is perhaps the only Castlevania I didn't went back playing. Massive drag to play, repetitive monster death animation, almost meanless level up system, drop system is mediocre, card system is trash, terrible replayability outside codes that make the replay worse(try playing with Thief) and villains are really forgettable. The only thing good about it is the music.

The best Castlevanias are found on DS. Dawn of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia are master piece Castlevanias.

SantaC

Cool I guess? Used to play alot of Castlevanias for GBA back at the time. Still play some of them occasionally nowadays though, but Circle of Moon is perhaps the only Castlevania I didn't went back playing. Massive drag to play, repetitive monster death animation, almost meanless level up system, drop system is mediocre, card system is trash, terrible replayability outside codes that make the replay worse(try playing with Thief) and villains are really forgettable. The only thing good about it is the music.
Opinions, how do they work?

Ozzie666

Games like these make me believe there is still a market for a GBA type device, better screen, slightly more power, great battery life. Just full of great 2D experiences in the 16-bit or 32 bit style.
At the very least Konami seems to be sleeping on easy money. I imagine Metroid did pretty well for it's budget.

SantaC

Games like these make me believe there is still a market for a GBA type device, better screen, slightly more power, great battery life. Just full of great 2D experiences in the 16-bit or 32 bit style.
At the very least Konami seems to be sleeping on easy money. I imagine Metroid did pretty well for it's budget.
It is called a switch

mcjmetroid

I started Circle of the Moon in October and just finished Order of Ecclesia. What a great ride it was and IGA really is the master of the concept. Even though some of these games are 20 years old it is still worth it. The magic is there.

i gotta though say that there is no clear winner, all these six games have their own weaknesses and strengths. Here is a short breakdown of the games:

-Best atmosphere: Circle of the Moon
-Best level design: Dawn of Sorrow
-Best controls: Order of Ecclesia
-Best music: Portrait of Ruin
-Best story: They're all pretty bad, but it's not why you play these games. I am thinking Order of Ecclesia
-Best challenge: Order of Ecclesia
-Best battle system: Dawn of Sorrow. Valmanway + Devil soul = instant win
-Best bosses: Aria of Sorrow
-Best gameplay: Order of Ecclesia

And no, I did not hate Harmony of Dissonance. It's a solid entry and the dual castle is interesting.

I am finding most of these games better than Bloodstained Ritual of the Night.

That's because all of them are better than bloodstained. Bloodstained just wasn't very good. It's... Ok

nkarafo

I also played all of them but it was a while ago so i don't remember much. I do remember Order of Ecclesia having the best OST for me though, followed closely by Portrait and Aria.

Naked Lunch

Circle and Harmony are crap. Harmony is one of the easiest, most boring games I ever played.
Aria is top tier Vania - stands right next to SOTN imo.

I always wanted to play the DS games - never owned the portable and never got around to DS emulation - yet.

Impotaku

Found the DS ones a lot of fun each with it's own style, stupidly i waited till far too late into the DS lifecycle and the prices had already gone beyond release prices. They tend to be some of the more pricy DS games now especially in japan if you want a decent condition copy.

Sleepwalker

So the switch lite?

_Ex_

Circle of the Moon and Order of Ecclesia are the only ones I consider mandatory gaming. The rest are all high quality with the exception of Portrait. I don't like that one because the back half is straight up recycled everything from the front half. Including the level graphics. Clearly a rush job.

Last edited:
Top Bottom