• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I played an arcade game called Cadillac and Dinosaurs (Made by CAPCOM).

yurinka

The game is amazing, a classic from the arcades. One of the best beat'em up ever made.

This is a great game. Usually this is one of the games fans always ask for in those Capcom arcade collections which tehy never release. Maybe licensing issues?
I read somewhere that they can't due to license issue and that the issue is from Cadillac, not with the comic/cartoon. But it may be just a random rumor from the internet.

there's also an FMV cadillacs and dinosaurs sega cd game
As I remember a very young Elon Musk did work in that game, or at least in the company that made that game.

Last edited:

Vorg

Banned
The game is amazing, a classic from the arcades. One of the best beat'em up ever made.

I read somewhere that they can't due to license issue and that the issue is from Cadillac, not with the comic/cartoon. But it may be just a random rumor from the internet.

You do get to drive the cadillac and run over enemies in some parts of the game. I wonder if that's why they won't allow the brand to be used.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Wish I still had this poster.

mini-CADILLACS_AND_DINOSAURS_MARK_SHULTZ.jpg

Sentenza

Yeah, they were amazing.

I loved those type of arcades back then.
Going back to some of them now through emulation makes you realize they are actually a bit underwhelming, by today's standards. Fine tuning aside (which is precisely what made the difference between the good and the bad ones) they all played the fucking same, and it's not like they had that much depth to begin with.
They also all tend to become complete bullshit by the late stages in an attempt to milk tons of credits from the player.

Last edited:

Belmonte

Wish I still had this poster.

Mark Schultz is a monster. I never read Xenozoic Tales, never found to sell in my country, but the art is stylish as hell! Would be incredible to see a Cadillacs and Dinossaurs 2 with his art in HD, like Streets of Rage 4.

Xenozoic-Tales-cover-1280x640.jpg

tumblr_p6047urlLx1uf0ghqo1_500.jpg

And he is my second favorite Conan artist ever. Only the master himself, Frazetta could match Schultz.

TheSlitheringShadow565.jpg

cantona222

You must be very young OP because this was a well known game back in the day.
I am 34. From the responses I'm seeing here the game is definitely famous in most countries but not in Kuwait or the Arab region. I verified with some of my friends who play games and they confirmed that they never heard of it.

molasar

Banned
Going back to some of them now through emulation makes you realize they are actually a bit underwhelming, by today's standards. Fine tuning aside (which is precisely what made the difference between the good and the bad ones) they all played the fucking same, and it's not like they had that much depth to begin with.
They also all tend to become complete bullshit by the late stages in an attempt to milk tons of credits from the player.
I agree, those that have limited move sets (usually: walk, jump, punch, jump kick) are getting boring quite fast besides having nice graphics and music for its time. However Capcom's AvP is still one of the best if not the best of them all in this genre. After 1994, IMO, nothing better was created than it nor anything to match it up.

Last edited:

GC_DALBEN

I love this game, played so much on the arcades here in Brasil, one of the best games of the genre.

Caddilac and Dinossaurs
Captain Commando
SOR
Golden AXE
Final Fight
TMNT
Simpsons
The Warriors
Double Dragon

I miss the old times, when i played these games with my father and brother :) .

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
Two weeks ago my friend brought a plug in twin arcade stick with arcade games in it. We wanted to play a co-op game and we found a game called Cadillac and Dinosaurs. I was surprised by the weird name and I also was surprised that it was made by CAPCOM and I never heard about it before. The game is a beat em up where the protagnists drive a classic Cadillac at the begining of the stage and then fight enemies including dinosaurs. This 1993 game is a typical CAPCOM beat em up released in that era. It was never ported or rereleasd on any console.

After that I did a little research and found out that the game is based on a cartoon show that is based on a comic called Xenozoic Tales.

Cadillacs_and_Dinosaurs_Capcom_ingame.PNG

I have few questions:
- Have you heard about this game or cartoon before?
- Do we have other examples of games with brand/company name in the title?

Here is episode 1 of the cartoon:

Legit surprised/shocked you never saw it before...

Here in Brazil it was a massive hit in the 90's. Everyone and their mother played it.

People in my town call it Cadillac Dinossauros lol

Last edited:

Vorg

Banned

Try denjin makai 2/guardians and battle circuit on mame. They have way more characters, moves and combo possibilities than your average arcade beat'em up.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I watched reruns of the cartoon when I was a kid and thought it was fire. Didn't know how deep it went, looked into it back in the day online and found out Capcom made an arcade game on it and it's based on a comic. I saw an AvP machine in the 90s when I was on holiday but never Cadillacs and Dinosaurs.

Needless to say though, I've played the arcade game AND read Mark Schultz's Xenozoic Tales. I even own it all, great comic btw, artwork gets better with every issue but it unfortunately just stopped in the early 90s. Waiting on Mark's Kickstarter for the continuation to finally go up.

The game itself is a standard Capcom beat 'em up but some of the music BANGS and the sprite work is excellent. Nothing like drop kicking a sleeping Shivat (T-Rex). Only Jack and Hannah have a real presence in the comic, Mustafa only appears once or twice and Mess O'Brandovich is someone who appears in a single story and actually dies at the end of it. I'd love for it to get the D&D treatment, I doubt the license would cost mega money.

Best tune in the game.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Great game. I wish it was on that Capcom arcade collection.

In terms of beat'em ups - Guardian Heroes has yet to be dethroned. Amazing that no one really ran with the gameplay ideas of that game. No one can really mimic Treasure it seems...

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Great game. I wish it was on that Capcom arcade collection.

In terms of beat'em ups - Guardian Heroes has yet to be dethroned. Amazing that no one really ran with the gameplay ideas of that game. No one can really mimic Treasure it seems...

I was always kinda disappointed by Guardian Heroes, after all the hype. Mechanically, it just isn't all that satisfying to actually hit dudes. And I didn't really like playing as most of the characters... Han was alright, but kinda too slow. Serena was fun (the girl with the green hair, I think that was her name), but I recall that you have to unlock her first. I like the branching paths and that they have a couple other gameplay systems in the background, but the core loop could've been better. Just didn't measure up to Capcom's beat-em-ups for me.

Naked Lunch

I was always kinda disappointed by Guardian Heroes, after all the hype. Mechanically, it just isn't all that satisfying to actually hit dudes. And I didn't really like playing as most of the characters... Han was alright, but kinda too slow. Serena was fun (the girl with the green hair, I think that was her name), but I recall that you have to unlock her first. I like the branching paths and that they have a couple other gameplay systems in the background, but the core loop could've been better. Just didn't measure up to Capcom's beat-em-ups for me.
I love the Capcom beat'em ups to death but they just hit a steel wall in the gameplay dept. So limiting and basic. Since the games were designed to eat quarters - you cant play the game with any real skill. Fighting bosses is just a crapshoot.

Guardian Heroes is basically like a fighting game in the 2d beat'em space. You could play the game with a great amount of skill, and some of the combos were insane, keeping enemies in the air forever. The gameplay of Guardian is night and day for me and the branching paths as well as very unique gameplay switching from character to character send it way over the top.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Alien vs. Predator takes the Cadillac and Dinosaurs gameplay to the next level. The most satisfying thing is bouncing back and forward between multiple aliens.
tumblr_oigfpt6p7Y1r7sijxo1_400.gif
tumblr_oigk35mS501r7sijxo1_500.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

lingpanda

I'm placing my quarter on the cabinet and calling next. Definitely played it in the arcades. However never knew it was based on a cartoon.

sol_bad

Speaking of beat'em ups, have any of you guys seen the new TMNT game? It's at one of my local arcades but I haven't played it yet, very reminiscent of the original games.

ww13oFq.jpg

game is a cross between the punsiher and final fight ..both of which were capcom titles
check those out as well as they were pretty good titles

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
OP, that's awesome you found it. For me, the arcades were all about beat 'em ups and hack 'n slash in the early 90s, and Capcom dominated those genres. Knights of the Round is my personal favorite, but they had a ton of greats like Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Knights of the Round, the Dungeon and Dragons games, Punisher, Armored Warriors, Captain Commando, King of Dragons, etc. Right up there are Konami's X-men and The Simpsons. Technos' Combatribes is awesome as well.

We had 2 big arcades in the area I lived in the 90s, and it was really common to have to pizzerias loaded with games, too. One arcade was a $5 flat entry fee with unlimited play. Sounds great, but people tended to hog the best games. However, this is where I first played Knights of the Round, T2 Arcade, Ninja Gaiden, and many other classics. The 2nd arcade was an Electric Castles Wunderland, $2.50 entry and nickel games with a 40ft wall of free games. They had everything I mentioned from Capcom and other plus Sunset Riders, NBA Jam, Pit Fighter, Off-Road, Super Sprint, SFII, etc. *drools*

Speaking of beat'em ups, have any of you guys seen the new TMNT game? It's at one of my local arcades but I haven't played it yet, very reminiscent of the original games.
I played it with my boys and we had fun. It's not as snappy as it's 2d predecessors, but it's still button mashing fun and slamming the shell power button makes you feel like a badass.
tmnt.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom