• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I ran Days Gone on old PC hardware (iGPU) at 720/30.

scydrex

That's pretty damn impressive, to be honest. Obviously a big downgrade from the full experience, but totally playable. Crazy how far integrated GPUs have come.

Yeah let's see when the APU with DDR5 and RDNA GPU comes out. Honestly I'm thinking of building or buying a PC with a 5600g or 5700g. I want a PC but still will play on console.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah let's see when the APU with DDR5 and RDNA GPU comes out. Honestly I'm thinking of building or buying a PC with a 5600g or 5700g. I want a PC but still will play on console.

That's awesome. Also, man, I really need to look into the modern emulation scene. Looks like things have come a looooong way since I last dabbled in emulating stuff.

teezzy

Banned
That's awesome. Also, man, I really need to look into the modern emulation scene. Looks like things have come a looooong way since I last dabbled in emulating stuff.

People legit play Switch on their PC

Plus with with Xbox and Playstation starting to bring their games over...

Jerry Seinfeld Lol GIF

Kenpachii

PC games even on high end PC tend to have some very small stutters. Not sure if it's mouse related or Windows issue. It was the same as well with AC Valhalla vs PS5 while XSX showing the same stutter on PC because they're the same OS.

Played AC first day it came out on PC, zero issue's.

Last edited:

lukilladog

This port is great, @74hz and 1/2 refresh rate with a gtx 950 it runs perfectly smooth, the frame pacing is divine and the graphics are mind blowing on medium preset with high lighting. To fix stuttering and hiccups turn texture streaming down, it will look practically the same. This and the Mafia remake have the best optimizations in the latest years, those programmers know their shit.

Rayderism

Well....aren't most integrated graphics about as powerful (or better) than what's in a PS4 these days? I mean, people were saying PS4 and XBOX One were weak when they launched 8 years ago. This game being a PS4 game ported to PC would likely mean it's using old tech, wouldn't it?

scydrex

Well....aren't most integrated graphics about as powerful (or better) than what's in a PS4 these days? I mean, people were saying PS4 and XBOX One were weak when they launched 8 years ago. This game being a PS4 game ported to PC would likely mean it's using old tech, wouldn't it?

The AMD 6000g series will be a lot better with RDNA and DDR5. The 5000g are still using vega gpu.

lukilladog

Yeah, the game was designed for the relatively weak ps4 gpu, but so other games like RDR2 or Horizon Zero Down which run like crap in comparison to this game. It´s good to see a legit good port from time to time.

scydrex

Yeah, the game was designed for the relatively weak ps4 gpu, but so other games like RDR2 or Horizon Zero Down which run like crap in comparison to this game. It´s good to see a legit good port from time to time.
The PS4 port runs at 30fps 1080p? With what settings? I will watch the DF video again to see. I suppose medium to low?

Md Ray

The PS4 port runs at 30fps 1080p? With what settings? I will watch the DF video again to see. I suppose medium to low?
PS4 Settings (even the specific 77 FOV is part of it):
XC2XfKj.png

CpvBkqD.png

Foliage is not exactly "High" on PS4. It's custom, a mix between PC's Med and High. And texture quality can be lower than PC's low in some instances but also a match for High, so that is again custom.

Last edited:
By these comments you can see who doesn't know jack shit about how impossible this was a few years ago! We're talking about a cheap quad core cpu.
But how is the user experience outside of wandering around empty environments? Isn't this a game where a bunch of zombies chase after you?

Md Ray

No. The top-end integrated GPUs are only now matching PS4 but still fall short when you run a bandwidth-heavy game like DOOM Eternal where the PS4 is still way ahead.

It's the CPU these days (and even those from a year or two ago) that are light years ahead of PS4. It's PS4 and Xbox One CPUs that were the leakest link since their launch.

Last edited:

Md Ray

This most probably has to do with the API. PS4 has a very capable GPU, in order to fully utilize the hardware - its async compute engines, it requires devs to use the low-level API. The fact that this game is using ancient DX11 makes me think it's using the equivalent high-level GNMX API on PS4 which doesn't expose hardware features like async compute that allows devs to extract more perf out of the AMD GPUs across consoles & PC.

HZD and RDR2 most likely use the low-level GNM API on PS4 and thus they're a DX12/VK title on PC. And these titles evidently have better perf on AMD hardware. Now the issue with NVIDIA and this combination of low-level API (especially DX12) + their GPUs don't play well together as they don't have hardware async compute support (on pre 10 series cards), and even the latest GPUs with hardware async support now have completely different issues like the driver overhead problem on Turing and Ampere cards resulting in massive perf loss even when paired with Zen 2 CPUs.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
But how is the user experience outside of wandering around empty environments? Isn't this a game where a bunch of zombies chase after you?
It stay above 30 with a combination of low shadows, medium foliage and lightning and high textures. I don't know how they did the zombie thing but it barely use the gpu more than normal.

Top Bottom