• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I really think Jim Sterling is on the brink of a psychological breakdown and needs help.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Good! I hope he disappears soon in a mental institution where he belongs with his psycho fans.

I always hated him since the Destructoid days. His "fighting for the little man" and anti-AAA shtick was so transparent. I can't believe people fell for this teenage drivel and made him rich. I'm glad he's now a laughingstock and people see him for the joke he is. To me it was clear from Day 1.

Take your wig and go, Stephanie.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Good! I hope he disappears soon in a mental institution where he belongs with his psycho fans.

I always hated him since the Destructoid days. His "fighting for the little man" and anti-AAA shtick was so transparent. I can't believe people fell for this teenage drivel and made him rich. I'm glad he's now a laughingstock and people see him for the joke he is. To me it was clear from Day 1.

Take your wig and go, Stephanie.
If he's got 900,000 subs, he's doing something right to get attention.

But at the end of the day, whether it's all an act or he really messed up makes no difference. Any loud guy on social media yelling about video games while playing dress up like a 5 year old can disappear tomorrow and nobody in the world would care. The subbers would just move on to another streamer without flinching.

Xenon

But at the end of the day, whether it's all an act or he really messed up makes no difference. Any loud guy on social media yelling about video games while playing dress up like a 5 year old can disappear tomorrow and nobody in the world would care. The subbers would just move on to another streamer without flinching.

Sort his uploads by most popular, his views have tanked.

Jim's personality reminds me of some anime series. Starts out interesting and engaging but ends up getting so overblown and over the top trying to out do itself it becomes a joke. This coupled with him wallowing in his own bullshit echo chamber, makes his rapid descent unsurprising and slightly satisyfying. Shit should sink.

Hunnybun

Yup. And even sadder, he's been doing this caped crusader schtick since he was probably 30 years old.

BpwJhA6.jpg

Nice juxtaposition of "their" and "no-nonsense" lol.

He's always seemed like an annoying cunt to me, tbh.

I stopped watching him once he started dressing as a girl. Its just too weird for me.
The constant whining about loot boxes and "triple A" games got old too.

ShadowNate

Without having watched recent videos, I've read (on twitter mostly) that he blames transphobia (and homophobia?) for his loss of subscribers as of late.
In which case that's not it. It's Jim specifically. The content, the persona, the recent or repetitive opinions -- maybe the voice and makeup -- I can see how viewers can get bored or grow out of this crap after a while.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Ok, I'll leave you to your bigotry.

While there are some posts in this thread (mostly the ones describing Jim as a degenerate) that are absolutely bigoted, vile and idiotic... it is not bigoted to question this whole notion that sex can just be changed on a whim. It is anti science, anti logic, and anti reality to say it can be.

If someone posts on NeoGaf that evolution does not exist, I will argue against that position as well. Am I similarly bigoted against Christian fundamentalists at that stage? Or maybe your definition of bigotry depends on your own position? And if it does, you might want to reflect on your own bias.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Dude has been running this sort of over the top personality for years and has made a successful YouTube career from it

Only thing crazy is people believing YouTube personas are real

Yoboman

You will never achieve the false utopia that’s been sold to you. It’s a tool for the few to gain power over the many, using the power of your own minds to enslave you. It’s the most insidious force that’s been unleashed on humanity yet.
Are we talking about capitalism or communism here? Or both?

John Bilbo

I think calling them 'him', is far worse than using 'her' if you don't know their preferred pronoun. What is it to you to use a bit of decorum, even if you personally don't believe they can't change their pronoun. If everyone respected one another a little more this world would be a better place.
I must view respect differently than you.

I think Jim has the right to change or call himself with any pronoun he likes, but to demand others to change their thinking or the way they speak isn't a call for respect. It is a call for bending the knee or to be cast out.

Respect, for me, is given willingly for a deed, action or behaviour I find to be of high value. Accusing one's own failings for the "transfobia" of his own viewers cannot this way be respectful, only forceful.
Ok, I'll leave you to your bigotry.
Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

Majukun

haven't seen a video from him in a while but nah, he is doing fine..that's nothis substantially different from the usual, guy is just in a position now where he can stop giving a fuck about what people think and embrace his internal weirdness..if anything he is probably much more psychologically health than before

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
He had good videos back in the day but I had to unsub. His ramblings became too uncontrolled.
The stupid outfits too. I just don't get the joke and the look.
He is for sure next on the list to "come out of the closet" but he goes so weirdo about it going around in crazy circles.
It's for sure no more content for me

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Yeah, it definitely was around the time he started dressing as a woman. I'm not a 10 by any stretch but he doesn't have the look.

Nor do I "identify" like that. Just as much as some try to push that on people (thinking about how Resetera runs), I don't agree with all that and stay in my lane. He's more annoying now.

Puskas

I genuinely used to like his Jimqusition episodes years ago but eventually unsubbed. His routine ramblings about the AAA gaming industry became tiresome and in the end he brought nothing more to the table than his fat ass and accent. Him going all in on being a grade A british cuck didn’t help either.

One of his videos popped up on my YT feed a month or two ago and seeing him dressing like your usual obese unattractive lesbian was both sad and hilarious. I’m glad that he finally found his place in this clown world.

Had to block his channel though. Didn’t want to throw up while watching YT videos.

Last edited:

drganon

Never understood the appeal of the guy. I guess some people just think if you say things in a British accent, its automatically interesting.

nemiroff

Gold Member
some people just think if you say things in a British accent, its automatically interesting.

That's kinda condescending man.. For those of us that somewhat enjoyed his content in the past there's no doubt the guy has talent and "held a valid place in the gaming industry as a reporter". But in my view he has progressively become more and more polarizing and political, and lately while going completely overboard being high on a extreme life change he's blaming other people for not having the acquired taste (I'm being nice here..) to go along with the madness.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Jim's sure an easy target to project our disdain on regarding something something whatever. Deserved or not, quite the distasteful display ITT.

Last edited:
This living embodiment of mental disorders has always been an attention whore. I still remember him writing his review of FF13 to be so antagonistic that it stopped being a review and turned into a personal grudge. He then trotted out pity articles about people being mean to him in the comments section way back in the early 2010's so this has been his schtick for going on a decade now.

Jim, you're a pathetic sack who needs to spend time with a psychotherapist, not ingesting pills that'll destroy your already deteriorated body and mind.

cragarmi

While there are some posts in this thread (mostly the ones describing Jim as a degenerate) that are absolutely bigoted, vile and idiotic... it is not bigoted to question this whole notion that sex can just be changed on a whim. It is anti science, anti logic, and anti reality to say it can be.

If someone posts on NeoGaf that evolution does not exist, I will argue against that position as well. Am I similarly bigoted against Christian fundamentalists at that stage? Or maybe your definition of bigotry depends on your own position? And if it does, you might want to reflect on your own bias.
I suppose we should all question where our beliefs originate and if any position can be said to be right? For example I don't believe that sex and gender are one and the same, as gender has been formed by society, just as disablement for me is defined by society. Ie I can get up to the stairs, but this is not due to my disability, it because you didn't provide a ramp. I agree there are much worse threads here than yours, so I will wish you well.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Do you honestly care about the mental health of some random attention whore on the internet? A youtuber even?

I know you're being rhetorical and even if the answer was yes this thread was destined to become a pretext to expres a general disdain (hate is such a powerful word isn't it?) for a multitude of things. Having a single easy target to project said disdain for is the reason this thread is still alive. OP is the epitome of concern trolling.

Not to say anyone's disdain isn't valid coming from their respective points of view but the way said disdain is communicated is quite telling of their ignorance regarding the complexity of the human soul & mind that has to function in the current state of our world.. IE it's not that hard to loose ourselves in the omnipresent madness that is Earth anno 2021.

Last edited:

cragarmi

I must view respect differently than you.

I think Jim has the right to change or call himself with any pronoun he likes, but to demand others to change their thinking or the way they speak isn't a call for respect. It is a call for bending the knee or to be cast out.

Respect, for me, is given willingly for a deed, action or behaviour I find to be of high value. Accusing one's own failings for the "transfobia" of his own viewers cannot this way be respectful, only forceful.

Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF
How is that any better than calling someone a cripple, or invalid, for someone who is disabled? To me if you know someone would not like to be spoken to in a certain way, or with certain words you do your best not to upset them? Maybe it's just my age, or I am struggling to get my point across, and I would agree that your world experience crafts your beliefs and opinions overtime, I'm very aware that growing up and feeling you didn't belong, or feeling lack of worth has shaped me this way.

Last edited:

vypermajik

Yeah I love Jim and appreciate his independent mindset. But I thought this a few months ago too. I hope we’re all wrong but he seems to be going through some things.

Chiggs

OP is the epitome of concern trolling.

I knew this would come up repeatedly, and I tried to address it, but I guess it was inevitable. I'm sure some of it comes across that way.

Since you're such a dedicated fan, why don't you call him up?

He'd tell me--or anyone else---to fuck off in grand fashion, in hopes of making his subscribers bark like seals, all the while hiding the pain. Given how fast he is losing subs/views, I have no interest in being his springboard attempt to reclaim past glory.

At first glance, sure. He had a Sub-900k video special a couple of weeks ago which was a mixture of resent and blame direct at, well, anything. He's been dropping hints from at least half a year of how annoyed he is at his YouTub channel.

As for your second point, I totally agree.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I knew this would come up repeatedly, and I tried to address it, but I guess it was inevitable. I'm sure some of it comes across that way.

He'd tell me--or anyone else---to fuck off in grand fashion, in hopes of making his subscribers bark like seals, all the while hiding the pain. Given how fast he is losing subs/views, I have no interest in being his springboard attempt to reclaim past glory.

Nah I felt your heart was in the right place.. I can recognize your intention while simultaneously not agreeing with your reasoning. Didn't mean to make you the bad man.

Last edited:

lmimmfn

Used to really enjoy Jims videos years ago but his videos became too preachy for me with constant negativity(especially in bloody lockdown last year) and once the lipstick started i noped straight the hell out of there and unsubbed.

I unsubbed from many youtube channels in the past year, especially small channels that start patreon's where the channels become completely focused on getting more patreons and that base rather than the reason i subbed in the first place and it probably driven by youtubes monetization changes, dont get me started on Linus cringefest fake smiling video thumbnails, ffs.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
How is that any better than calling someone a cripple, or invalid, for someone who is disabled? To me if you know someone would not like to be spoken to in a certain way, or with certain words you do your best not to upset them? Maybe it's just my age, or I am struggling to get my point across, and I would agree that your world experience crafts your beliefs and opinions overtime, I'm very aware that growing up and feeling you didn't belong, or feeling lack of worth has shaped me this way.

Because what you’re implying there is a clear and obvious derogatory insult towards a section of society. If someone were to call a transgender person a ‘tranny’ then that is similarly disgusting, and can be rightly criticised for being a bigoted thing to say.

However, it is not bigotry to continue to refer to someone like Jim Sterling as ‘he’ because he is a male. He is not a female. This is a scientific fact. If he undergoes transitional surgery, along with taking the right drugs then he can be called female (and more power to him if he does), but you cannot simply demand that everyone else refer to you as ‘she’ if all you’ve done is slap on a wig and put on lipstick. We don’t - and should never - live in a society where people are free to call themselves what they want if it goes against science and rationality, and have everyone else just kowtow to that belief. That’s a dangerous slope if you think about it.

I know this is a difficult subject matter right now, but it’s important that we don’t lose sight of the realities of the world in a misguided effort to placate everybody’s feelings.

Jim is certainly entitled to call himself what he wants, but he is not entitled to dictate what others call him when it is in direct contravention of scientific fact.

Its also deeply insulting towards women, who have to put up with enough shit from men anyway.

Last edited:

John Bilbo

I think this is a case in which context matters.

If I was to become a cripple or invalid in some way I would joke about it. Not right after the accident / crippling event, but in time sure. In this way I would make sure people around me wouldn't have to tip toe around me and be too careful about what they say. I'd call myself a cripple just to give myself and others the space to breathe.

Humour is a damn good way to give levity even in the most dire of circumstances. And being a cripple without a sense of humour is worse than being a cripple with a sense of humour.

In the case of pronouns I'd steer away from anyone who'd demand to be spoken in some uncommon or peculiar way, if the demand wasn't made in an obviously good faith manner. And that being said good faith has to be established case by case basis, but having a sense of humour and not being dead serious about one's pronouns does help.

In the case of Jim Sterling it is obvious for me that he is not a woman. Also in my country "they" pronoun is used only for the elderly by younger people as a sign of respect of their long lives and old age.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Because what you’re implying there is a clear and obvious derogatory insult towards a section of society. If someone were to call a transgender person a ‘tranny’ then that is similarly disgusting, and can be rightly criticised for being a bigoted thing to say.

However, it is not bigotry to continue to refer to someone like Jim Sterling as ‘he’ because he is a male. He is not a female. This is a scientific fact. If he undergoes transitional surgery, along with taking the right drugs then he can be called female (and more power to him if he does), but you cannot simply demand that everyone else refer to you as ‘she’ if all you’ve done is slap on a wig and put on lipstick. We don’t - and should never - live in a society where people are free to call themselves what they want, and have everyone else just kowtow to that belief. That’s a dangerous slope if you think about it.

I know this is a difficult subject matter right now, but it’s important that we don’t lose sight of the realities of the world in a misguided effort to placate everybody’s feelings.
Lol. It's a non issue though. It's about mutual love, care and respect for another. If someone states a preference regarding their pronoun i don't go out of my way to reject said preference. Demanding it is something different. It gets muddy when there's something to be gained form being addressed a certain way. It's about intelligently recognizing /nterpreting said intention. If one feels the intention is insincere or so cloudy one doesn't know how to approach it best to distance oneself from it. Unless the influence is on such a scale that millions upon millions of people are taking it a face value which isn't the case at all. It's sometimes difficult to distinguish between the sincere ones and the users. It really is because the difference is quite subtle on the surface. Basing your premise on passive exposure shouldn't be grounds to build and or project your dismissal on..

Not that I don't do the very same.each day lol.. just something to keep in mind I guess.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
How much evil capitalism was leveraged over the years to create the internet, YouTube, video games, Boglins, SRS medical research, and the over 9000 quarter pounders with cheese that it must have taken for us to get to this point. :pie_thinking:

OK. I'm one and done shit posting on this.
Life's always a joke, but some things aren't that funny.

Jim Sterling is totally free to live how he or she wants without the need of internet shitheads raining mockery or using them as a punching bag. Covid has wrought a hellscape of "slow news days" on all content creators and critics. Sterling has had nothing new or particularly interesting to complain about, and has shifted enough to not merit the same attention. Big deal though, I'm moving along just fine and if they do need help, they can always ask for it from the community.

Last edited:

Vognerful

Sex=/=gender

And then you can try again.

Jim's Twitter actually says "They/Them" so who's being transphobic now?
You just fucking misgendered Jim.

I actually don't care, I'm just illustrating how absurd the idea is that people can freely change "their" pronouns whenever they like and expect people to catch up.
just looking at the guy you realize there must be tons of them inside him

Top Bottom