• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I really think Jim Sterling is on the brink of a psychological breakdown and needs help.

Fairness in the world is a fantasy.

That utopia will never exist, at least not until we have impossible tech that converts or reconstructs matter/energy like on Star Trek. That big, bright future. When we can push a button to convert our shit and piss into chocolate ice cream or earl grey tea.
This is one thing the Woke don't seem to understand is that life is simply not fair and never will be, they're trying to make the world into some Harrison Bergeron nightmare instead of just accepting it's not a perfect world, getting the fuck over it and stop whining.

Velcro Fly

They can whine and cry about losing subs and how transphobic it is but I am fairly certain that patreon has grown in the last 12 months.

FingerBang

Except that sex is NOT binary, it’s bimodal. If sex was binary as you say, then intersex people, people born with a set of sexual chromosomes not matching neither XY nor XX and/or with sexual characteristic associated with a man nor a woman, would not exist. But intersex people do exist, their existance it’s an objective fact, recognised by science, and facts do not care about your feelings. Science is a research method based on evidence, not a buzzword you can throw around to pass you misinterpretation of simplified scientific concepts as facts.

Sex is bimodal (a spectrum between 2 defined points) and not binary (two mutually exclusive options), because nothing in nature can be binary. Nature is based on randomness and as such there is so conscious design behind how it behaves. The concept of “binary” on the other hand is entirely man-made and at odds with nature and can only really exists in computer science, since those are artificially made.
The concept of binary derived from man’s simplification of more complex phenomenons: a man might perceive an object as moving or inhert, but from a physics’ point of view said object is always moving at given velocity, which in some instances might be 0.

So to reiterate, no sex is not binary because human biology and scientific reality do not care about man-made fantasy concepts such as “binary”.
You're basically saying that since once every 6000 flips a coin can land on it's edge, then there aren't two possible options, but 3.

...except every time you flip a coin it's going to land on one of two sides. Sex is binary, but sometimes exceptions happen.

99.9% of people are clearly men or women, even intersex people are mostly men or women with a few abnormalities. It isn't a spectrum.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
How old is that video? What happens next? I need to know, this is a very simple narrative, but damn this train wreck is fascinating.

It spans only 4 years, that's what's shocking about it. I remember coming across him a few years ago when he was a regular skinny guy, then I stumbled across him a few months ago by accident and had to double check it was the same guy I remembered.

The story is he started as a hardcore vegan (can't make this shit up) and tried an egg I think it was. From that point onwards he went hog wild and never looked back.

The egg:

And 4 years later:

And yes, it's absolutely fascinating to see his spiral downwards.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

You're basically saying that since once every 6000 flips a coin can land on it's edge, then there aren't two possible options, but 3.

...except every time you flip a coin it's going to land on one of two sides. Sex is binary, but sometimes exceptions happen.

99.9% of people are clearly men or women, even intersex people are mostly men or women with a few abnormalities. It isn't a spectrum.

Its sad you even have to explain this.

FingerBang

Its sad you even have to explain this.
You'll find many people in academia making the same point as the person I quoted because it's becoming impossible to state otherwise. This is just a step before just admitting that male and women don't exist and are just an invention of the west, the final deconstruction/decolonization that will finally make all of us free.

All of this while China laughs and slowly takes over.

Thabass

It spans only 4 years, that's what's shocking about it. I remember coming across him a few years ago when he was a regular skinny guy, then I stumbled across him a few months ago by accident and had to double check it was the same guy I remembered.

The story is he started as a hardcore vegan (can't make this shit up) and tried an egg I think it was. From that point onwards he went hog wild and never looked back.

The egg:

And 4 years later:

And yes, it's absolutely fascinating to see his spiral downwards.

Oh my god, he's drinking water with the cheetos inside of it.

puke GIF

Except that sex is NOT binary, it’s bimodal. If sex was binary as you say, then intersex people, people born with a set of sexual chromosomes not matching neither XY nor XX and/or with sexual characteristic associated with a man nor a woman, would not exist. But intersex people do exist, their existance it’s an objective fact, recognised by science, and facts do not care about your feelings. Science is a research method based on evidence, not a buzzword you can throw around to pass you misinterpretation of simplified scientific concepts as facts.

Sex is bimodal (a spectrum between 2 defined points) and not binary (two mutually exclusive options), because nothing in nature can be binary. Nature is based on randomness and as such there is so conscious design behind how it behaves. The concept of “binary” on the other hand is entirely man-made and at odds with nature and can only really exists in computer science, since those are artificially made.
The concept of binary derived from man’s simplification of more complex phenomenons: a man might perceive an object as moving or inhert, but from a physics’ point of view said object is always moving at given velocity, which in some instances might be 0.

So to reiterate, no sex is not binary because human biology and scientific reality do not care about man-made fantasy concepts such as “binary”.

I know it's a common presumption that intersex people are "between" and "they've got both *wink wink*" but that's not true. Every intersex condition is medically classified as either disorder of MALE sexual development or a disorder of FEMALE sexual development. That is, every intersex person still fits into a sex binary, regardless of their developmental or chromosomal disorder.

Some people have trisomy 21 - Down Syndrome. That means they have 3 copies of chromosome 21 unlike most people, who have 2. That doesn't make the number of chromosomes we have a spectrum, nor does it make them another species.

Some people have have a bone disorder (e.g. hypophosphatasia) that causes loss of bones. That doesn't mean we're on a spectrum between vertebrate and invertebrate.

Many women can't get pregnant or can't breastfeed. That doesn't mean we're not mammals. Go tell your aunt Martha that because she had to use baby formula, she's otherkin.

Many people are paraplegic or quadriplegic. That doesn't mean humans aren't bipedal.

You're always going to be able to find some bluehair plant biologist on twitter willing to say 'sex is a spectrum - sex is bimodal!' (funny how that doesn't seem to apply with other species hmmm). But if you want to read an intersex perspective on this issue - actual intersex, not an normal healthy adult who woke up yesterday and fancied larping in a poorly understood way a minority group's identity - you can read it here. I'll quote a few relevant passages to whet your appetite:

I'll start this off by explaining what intersex organizations have meant when they say “spectrum of sex,” “diversity of biological sex,” or “binary ideas of sex.” These terms have been muddied and coopted to fit other groups’ campaigning without care for what they originally meant.

When we say sex is diverse and does not fit into a binary, it means that there is more than one phenotype for the male sex and more than one phenotype for the female sex
. Both a male who is not intersex and someone with AIS, an XY condition that makes the body unable to use androgens and therefore no male development occurs giving the person a female phenotype, are still male. Male encompasses the spectrum of XY sexual development between non-intersex male and completely androgen-free males with female phenotypes like AIS and XY lipoid CAH people.
[...]
The “spectrum of sex” is where we overlap phenotypes between two sexes. A non-intersex female will look phenotypically the same as someone with AIS. A non-intersex male will look phenotypically the same as someone with De La Chapelle Syndrome.
[...]
However, while there are not dichotomous ways of being male or female, we know that everyone is either male or female for an important reason: the only reason ours or any species has biological sex is to add different angles and gametes to sexual reproduction. In humans, there are only two options: to make and develop a system to use ova for pregnancy, or to make and develop a system to use spermatozoa for impregnation. No intersex person produces the opposite sex’s gamete or has the full and functioning system of the opposite sex to use that gamete. Most of us are infertile.

If intersex people represented a biological sex other than male or female, we would expect most people to be intersex and few to be male or female. This is like any other thing in statistics: opposite-end extremes are the rarest, while roughly 95% falls in the middle-range, just like a bell curve.

It's easy to shit on Jim now, but it makes me sad since s couple of things he had pushed for became mainstream iirc.

Example: YouTube now show what games/movie are displayed in a yt video at the description.

And I believe something steam related as well, I think it was the greenlight system (?).

I could be wrong, but I remember a whole video from Jim saying and explaining how he managed to get this implemented.

Either way, guy just unpleasant to watch anymore.

I'm glad people like Filthy Frank got out while they could and changed trajectory, I can see how trying appease a certain demographic can just sunk you in lower over time.
He was one of the first hard opponents to loot boxes and cosmetic microtransactions. He has rightfully called out a lot of BS from the gaming industry and been right quite often. It's too bad his videos are annoying and cringy now.

HTK

Banned
Jim is definitely not my cup of tea but who cares if he's not my cup of tea. I really enjoyed TotalBiscuit and was really saddened when he passed.

Mister Wolf

You'll find many people in academia making the same point as the person I quoted because it's becoming impossible to state otherwise. This is just a step before just admitting that male and women don't exist and are just an invention of the west, the final deconstruction/decolonization that will finally make all of us free.

All of this while China laughs and slowly takes over.

There's a term for so called educated professionals pushing this bullshit amongst other things often times for personal gain. It called a "quack". There are tons of them in every field you can think of.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned

The most fundamental knowledge known instinctively to most mammals on earth:

ability to bear children = female
ability to produce sperm = male

That's right, dolphins and chimpanzees are smarter than you when it comes to science.

whyman

I hope Jim gets the help they need to be who they want too be. As long as they are happy they can make whatever content they want. We are not forced to watch.

Davey Cakes

What kind of self-loathing idiots fund Sterling's Patreon?

Holy fuck! Donate to an actual charity, you morons!
Back when I watched their content on the regular I’d give $2 a month on Patreon. I support a bunch of creators like that.

I lost interest recently so I stopped donating.

Last edited:

ksdixon

I really think his outlandish/demented shtick - weather that comes from Jim's personality or a byproduct of his being gay - does a real disservice to his message of banging the drum on games industry injustices.

Over time I just stopped following him. Like the message, dislike the guy.

Top Bottom