• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I really want to build a PC, but parts are ridiculously expensive. Should I just give up and buy a pre-built?

AMSCD

3000 series RTX are like $3000-4000 in my country. But if I buy a prebuilt, I can get an entire computer for around $2000 with an RTX 3060ti. So sad, I haven't built a computer in a long time :messenger_pensive:. It's way more satisfying to build your own.

Rgw20014life

Neo Member
3000 series RTX are like $3000-4000 in my country. But if I buy a prebuilt, I can get an entire computer for around $2000 with an RTX 3060ti. So sad, I haven't built a computer in a long time :messenger_pensive:. It's way more satisfying to build your own.
If it's that bad the answer is yes. I did it for my last two systems because parts, mostly gpus are ridiculous.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Just fucking buy a pre-built PC from Amazon according to your budget, then maybe throw like another 16GB of RAM in it to feel satisfied and call it a day.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
You can get a prebuilt for the price of a single GPU?
Why even bother asking.

Just get the prebuilt and sell the GPU to buy a second prebuilt and an RTX 2060 12G.
Now put the RTX 2060 12G in the carcass of the first prebuilt and sell the whole thing as a prebuilt.
Now buy a PS5/XSX and/or 3 years of Gamepass Ultimate with the profit you have made.
Make sure NOT to get addicted to the easy money.
You are ready to game.

isoRhythm

Banned
Why even bother asking.

Just get the prebuilt and sell the GPU to buy a second prebuilt and an RTX 2060 12G.
Now put the RTX 2060 12G in the carcass of the first prebuilt and sell the whole thing as a prebuilt.
Now buy a PS5/XSX and/or 3 years of Gamepass Ultimate with the profit you have made.
You are ready to game.
I284Odv.jpg

AMSCD

Why even bother asking.

You are ready to game.
This is an amazing idea. But you might have just broke the prebuild market. I better get in quick.

Graciaus

I'm not sure how your country works but there are ways to track gpu restocks. In the US Best Buy would restock once a week and I was lucky enough to get one after a few weeks. But it is all rng. The rest of the computer is easy to get.

AMSCD

I'm not sure how your country works but there are ways to track gpu restocks. In the US Best Buy would restock once a week and I was lucky enough to get one after a few weeks. But it is all rng. The rest of the computer is easy to get.
But even if you track restock, isn't the GPU a ridiculous price? I was looking at resale prices, not second hand prices.

Graciaus

But even if you track restock, isn't the GPU a ridiculous price? I was looking at resale prices, not second hand prices.
The ones sold from Best Buy are the normal msrp.

Scalper prices are crazy. I'd still be using my 9 year old computer if I didn't get lucky.

Topher

Gold Member
Yes, buy pre-built or buy console (which is what I decided to do). Buying PC parts is absurd right now.

wipeout364

I would buy a prebuilt, just don’t get one that over designed and get one that allows easy changes. It probably the only way you can access video cards without paying ridiculous prices. I recently bought a MSI Desktop with a 3080 because there was nothing available. I added a couple of SSD’s and I am happy with it.

I bought a prebuild and swapped everything to a decent case and upgraded the ssd / cpu cooler and fans and the thermal pads on the custom rtx3090.

It was the only way to get an rtx3090 at the time that didnt cost more than the whole prebuild itself.

Im more than content except that the fans on the rtx3090 dont ever go below 30% even with custom fan graphs.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Just get a prebuilt. It's not ideal but if You don't want a console, it's the only way.
If you don't want to spend this much money, ps5/X are getting more available. For example ps5 is readily available since Christmas here

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'm guessing you live on Mars? I think Earth's supply is not readily available at MSRP. :D
Well I lied a bit.
What are available are bundles around 700-750. It's in Media Markt Poland and similar retailers.
You can grab one right away today. It's disc ps5 (which retailed alone msrp at 570), + 2 games + 12 months of ps+ or controller. Not theworst bundles !
look, not so bad. I paid 2300pln for ps5 on release which was retail, non scalped non bundled price.

AndrewRyan

I bought a prebuild and swapped everything to a decent case and upgraded the ssd / cpu cooler and fans and the thermal pads on the custom rtx3090.

It was the only way to get an rtx3090 at the time that didnt cost more than the whole prebuild itself.

Im more than content except that the fans on the rtx3090 dont ever go below 30% even with custom fan graphs.
That's too bad about the fans. How hard was it to swap the pads? Are you getting any thermal throttling now?

Last edited:
Sometimes there are really good pre-built systems or upgrade kits that are cheaper than the single components. Just keep looking.

Fbh

Yeah in many places pre build is the only non ridiculous option for the moment.

I've personally given up. I'll be sticking with consoles for the time and reconsider switching to PC if/when prices become reasonable again. I'm willing to spend 2-3 the price of a console for better performance and all the advantages of PC gaming.... but not 4-5 times as much.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Find a place that does pre-built and have them build you a custom system.

That's what I did. That way you get OEM prices without the shit air cooling they sell at Best Buy.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
How about joining one of those telegram/discord channels that have bots to warn you when a GPU goes on sale?

I joined one of those and managed to get a 3070 for MSRP in just about a week, although I probably got lucky. That said, this was like half and a year ago, so I don't know how that'll work today.

T-Cake

Say what you will about Alienware but I love mine. I got it in a sale so didn't pay full whack and it's still going strong 4 years later (apart from the relatively weak 1070 now). But it's 100% rock solid stable which I prioritize above all.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I'm normally the last to recommend a prebuilt, but if you are unwilling to wait for supply to catchup to demand in roughly 1-2 years, prebuilt is actually the more fiscal choice right now. I recommend getting something with a decent cooling tower and good power supply. ALSO, and this is huge, buy from a provider that has a solid return policy and credibility. My friend recently bought a 3070 setup from Costco after we did a lot of research. It was really quite decent. Their return policies have always been solid for me.

Now I have never had a computer I build break down. I'm always the one that has to take them out back and shoot them after 15 years 😄. That or you can find them around various houses in my family. But if you can't wait at physical retail stores to try and get a graphics card at msrp, then prebuilt is actually decent right now. Hell for a scalped price of some 3080s it is the cost of a lower end prebuilt lol.

Just for reference though. Graphics card costs have fallen about 30% on average since the worst of the scalping crisis. Say what you will about supplies and chips, but scalper trends like this do eventually tend to wear thin after time, given past trends. That and scalping is actually not good for businesses like nvidia, microsoft, etc, because more stockpiled cards means less gaming products and other linked gaming commerce is being shut off. The economy is much more than just the cards like some think.

I wish you luck and support friend.

GreatnessRD

Where are you from? And do you absolutely need an Nvidia GPU? You could get AMD's top end GPU for $1600 max

Anchovie123

if going pre built be careful on what your buying. They often try to skimp on other parts. For example my friend brought a pre built that had a RTX 3080 but a last gen Ryzen 3700 CPU, 16gb ram and a 2tb SATA SSD along with some crappy coolmaster CPU air cooler for 2800$

GreatnessRD

if going pre built be careful on what your buying. They often try to skimp on other parts. For example my friend brought a pre built that had a RTX 3080 but a last gen Ryzen 3700 CPU, 16gb ram and a 2tb SATA SSD along with some crappy coolmaster CPU air cooler for 2800$
Panic buying. Sorry that your homie was finessed like that. People really wanted them 3080s this gen, lol.

Ozzie666

I recently broke down after 10 years and built a new PC, I paid through the nose to get the parts I wanted. For the most part, but I did have to make some compromises with my choices.

But looking back, the pre builds available to me would have been around the same price and easier. Not to mention more GPU's available. The only difference I noticed, beyond the CPU and GPU, they usually work in some lower end parts to make up the difference. If you are ok with that, then go for it. Looking back, I'd probably have gone with the pre builds to get a better GPU.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Why dont people just buy these pre builts and then sell the parts for profit?

I'm sure you could. However, I don't know what quality of GPUs they are putting in these things now. I know a ways back HP and Dell used to put the cheapest, poorest quality GPUs you could think of in there, no name brand with zero long-term driver support and cooling problems. Not sure how much anyone would pay for one of those. As an added bonus they'd go with a screwy custom bios to ensure generic Nvidia/AMD drivers never worked. LOL

Last edited:

Mikado

Gold Member
I'm terrified of what my backup plan is if one of our workstations or gpus dies here.

The situation is so dire, I was checking out maingear as a "cost-effective solution provider".

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I'm sure you could. However, I don't know what quality of GPUs they are putting in these things now. I know a ways back HP and Dell used to put the cheapest, poorest quality GPUs you could think of in there, no name brand with zero long-term driver support and cooling problems. Not sure how much anyone would pay for one of those. As an added bonus they'd go with a screwy custom bios to ensure generic Nvidia/AMD drivers never worked. LOL

But a RTX 3060 is the same gpu no matter what the brand, I thought the only things that can be changed is clock speed and memory.

Top Bottom